Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon 15:54 - Aug 19 with 1645 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his resurgent Colchester side to Portsmouth for their sternest test of the season to date.

Despite a sluggish start to the season Paul Cook’s team have the players to challenge near the top of the League. However, JM has instilled confidence and flair into his players and I see no reason why they cannot come away from Fratton Park with a victory on Saturday.

The last time we went to Pompey, both teams were languishing at the wrong end of League 1 and Colchester prevailed on that occasion. They can do so again this weekend.

The inclusion of Brennan Dickenson has transformed the team, he offers pace and goals in a squad that is playing confident, attacking football. The super U’s under JM’s shrewd management are looking to bounce back to the higher division at the first time of asking.

Yes, it is very early in the season, but the splendid start made by JM’s team is entirely justified as a result of some sparkling football and the desire to play as a unit in order to secure the results needed to attain a top seven finish.

JM is also showing that he has decided on a settled squad and a preferred starting XI. I do not expect to see any changes to the team that started against the Mariners on Tuesday evening.

Walker

Brindley Prosser Eastman Kinsella

Wright Lapslie Szmodics Dickenson

Guthrie

Porter

Subs:

Bransgrove, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Loft, Slater, Sembie-Ferris, Johnstone

My personal preference would be to start Johnstone but JM seems to have Chris Porter playing better than in his woeful start to the season against Hartlepool. JM also is not afraid to make use of his substitutes and I would expect to see Johnstone, Loft and Slater deployed during the afternoon to bolster the team.

Pompey will be buoyed by an expectant bumper crowd, but large crowds in large stadia can very quickly become large libraries, especially if we take the game to our hosts. Indeed, the silence can be deafening and definitely work against the hosts (simply ask the Blades at Bramall Lane).

The faithful will travel in confident mood and it should be an entertaining game. Colchester to play with confidence and commitment and if we do then the chimes will be silent at ten minutes to five on Saturday.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 16:21 - Aug 19 with 1639 viewsFruitbat

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, away from home, one of Guthrie or Szmodics dropped out for (probably) Loft or (possibly) Slater to start. Particularly at the better sides to make our midfield a bit more solid.
Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 18:36 - Aug 19 with 1604 viewsmfb_cufc

On Tuesday's showing Wright and Szmodics both looked like they could be due a rest, but managers like staying with a winning side, and that could be the case tomorrow.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 21:39]

mfb

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 20:17 - Aug 19 with 1580 viewsdurham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 18:36 - Aug 19 by mfb_cufc

On Tuesday's showing Wright and Szmodics both looked like they could be due a rest, but managers like staying with a winning side, and that could be the case tomorrow.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 21:39]

mfb - what was your impression of Porter on Tuesday night?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 21:17 - Aug 19 with 1570 viewsmfb_cufc

Durham, Porter was excellent. Won a lot of headers, and his hold up play was very good. Has got better with each game, after his dismal effort against Hartlepool.

mfb

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 21:29 - Aug 19 with 1563 viewsdurham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 21:17 - Aug 19 by mfb_cufc

Durham, Porter was excellent. Won a lot of headers, and his hold up play was very good. Has got better with each game, after his dismal effort against Hartlepool.

Many thanks.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 14:27 - Aug 20 with 1481 viewsmfb_cufc

Three changes from the Grimsby game. Wright and Szmodics are indeed rested, along with Porter, with Loft, Slater and Johnstone coming into the team.

mfb

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 17:50 - Aug 20 with 1437 viewsgerry_us

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 14:27 - Aug 20 by mfb_cufc

Three changes from the Grimsby game. Wright and Szmodics are indeed rested, along with Porter, with Loft, Slater and Johnstone coming into the team.

Had a bad feeling about the changes. What happened to the old adage "never change a winning team"?. It's not as though anyone is burnt out this early in the season.
Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 00:00 - Aug 21 with 1324 viewsdurham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 17:50 - Aug 20 by gerry_us

Had a bad feeling about the changes. What happened to the old adage "never change a winning team"?. It's not as though anyone is burnt out this early in the season.

Totally agree Gerry, also we showed them too much respect.
If we are to get out of this league, we must take points at grounds like Fratton Park.

JM must learn quickly. Another tough match awaits against the Chairboys
next week and we now must win there.

Disappointed at the lack of attacking intent, there is no point in stifling attacking ambition.

Today was a harsh lesson which we would do well to heed for the future.

Get this defeat out of our system quickly and get back to winning ways by playing the same confident attacking football and don't let us get into the mindset where we must stoically defend away from home. Fortune favours the brave.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 17:49 - Aug 21 with 1212 viewsAFCMorant

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 00:00 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Totally agree Gerry, also we showed them too much respect.
If we are to get out of this league, we must take points at grounds like Fratton Park.

JM must learn quickly. Another tough match awaits against the Chairboys
next week and we now must win there.

Disappointed at the lack of attacking intent, there is no point in stifling attacking ambition.

Today was a harsh lesson which we would do well to heed for the future.

Get this defeat out of our system quickly and get back to winning ways by playing the same confident attacking football and don't let us get into the mindset where we must stoically defend away from home. Fortune favours the brave.

Up the U's

Played far too defensively, sat back too deep and when we did win the ball up front we had little support and were soon retreating again. The referee was dreadful and never gave us a thing so Wright's foul was inexcusable, the ref was determined to shaft us. I thought Wright looked overweight, slow and off the pace of the game. Very disappointing display, we played like we were in awe of them and should have gone at them as they were clearly low on confidence, which showed in how for most of the game their crowd were quite. Sam Walker was outstanding. Good ground as well.
Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 22:28 - Aug 21 with 1169 viewsdurham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 17:49 - Aug 21 by AFCMorant

Played far too defensively, sat back too deep and when we did win the ball up front we had little support and were soon retreating again. The referee was dreadful and never gave us a thing so Wright's foul was inexcusable, the ref was determined to shaft us. I thought Wright looked overweight, slow and off the pace of the game. Very disappointing display, we played like we were in awe of them and should have gone at them as they were clearly low on confidence, which showed in how for most of the game their crowd were quite. Sam Walker was outstanding. Good ground as well.

Oh and what made it worse was Roberts scoring both goals.

I have never liked his approach to football or his attitude.

Three points against the chairboys now vital.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 19:35 - Aug 23 with 1067 viewsFred10

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 22:28 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Oh and what made it worse was Roberts scoring both goals.

I have never liked his approach to football or his attitude.

Three points against the chairboys now vital.

Up the U's

Our 4231 approach by Paul Cook has seen us control matches completely but fail in front of goal.
Within 5 mins of going two up front we scored and within 3 more mins we scored again.
You got what you deserved, nothing!
Your negative approach to the game is endemic of every side we have played do far.
Defending with very little ambition going forward. Your only real attempt came after we sacrificed a midfielder to go two up top. I'll take the bring more open if we get the goals that our play trying to win games at least deserves.
Your fans were short changed.
I was short changed by your time wasting tactics especially the keeper who was warned but not booked by the ref.
How have you scored let alone won two games? Surely not playing that way I presume.
This god awful league sees teams adopt your tactics week in and out against us. I can only hope our manager has seen the light and we just play an open attacking game home and away because if we do, finally, we will get out of this league.
Good luck to you but let's hope you show more ambition at your place because at fratton, you were terrible!
Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 20:08 - Aug 23 with 1062 viewswessex_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 19:35 - Aug 23 by Fred10

Our 4231 approach by Paul Cook has seen us control matches completely but fail in front of goal.
Within 5 mins of going two up front we scored and within 3 more mins we scored again.
You got what you deserved, nothing!
Your negative approach to the game is endemic of every side we have played do far.
Defending with very little ambition going forward. Your only real attempt came after we sacrificed a midfielder to go two up top. I'll take the bring more open if we get the goals that our play trying to win games at least deserves.
Your fans were short changed.
I was short changed by your time wasting tactics especially the keeper who was warned but not booked by the ref.
How have you scored let alone won two games? Surely not playing that way I presume.
This god awful league sees teams adopt your tactics week in and out against us. I can only hope our manager has seen the light and we just play an open attacking game home and away because if we do, finally, we will get out of this league.
Good luck to you but let's hope you show more ambition at your place because at fratton, you were terrible!

Feel better Fred?

Of course teams are going to come to Fratton Park prepared to defend in depth - with the resources at your disposal it's a nailed on certainty you should be challenging for promotion every season - the fact you're still languishing in the basement speaks volumes about how long it seems to have taken you to work it out.

Saturday was very frustrating, because to be honest you were nothing but average, you have a long way to go if that's all you can deliver. As for our fans being short-changed, last season that performance would have been seen as a positive bonus. Finally, what the f'ck has happened to the passion at Fratton Park - a virtual library until you got the penalty (it was one, no debate there) - I've witnessed better at your place, and expected better on Saturday.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 21:40 - Aug 23 with 1042 viewsFred10

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 20:08 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

Feel better Fred?

Of course teams are going to come to Fratton Park prepared to defend in depth - with the resources at your disposal it's a nailed on certainty you should be challenging for promotion every season - the fact you're still languishing in the basement speaks volumes about how long it seems to have taken you to work it out.

Saturday was very frustrating, because to be honest you were nothing but average, you have a long way to go if that's all you can deliver. As for our fans being short-changed, last season that performance would have been seen as a positive bonus. Finally, what the f'ck has happened to the passion at Fratton Park - a virtual library until you got the penalty (it was one, no debate there) - I've witnessed better at your place, and expected better on Saturday.

As you've already asserted, we were there for the taking. Paul Cook plays a system that sees plenty of possession but little penetration or passion.
The fans have watched this style and pattern of play for far too long.
He has finally after an age of last season and the beginning of this, to understand it would be better to go after sides.
Engaging the fans will be the final act. Away from home we are loud. At home with a high tempo pressing game we will have something to support. Fratton is a really intimidating place to come and if we see the team trying to go after rather than pass side ways he will find that out.
We really were there for the taking and cookay have been a game or three from losing his job.
Unknowingly, you've given him respite and possibly the answer to get us going..
Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 22:24 - Aug 23 with 1030 viewswessex_exile

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 21:40 - Aug 23 by Fred10

As you've already asserted, we were there for the taking. Paul Cook plays a system that sees plenty of possession but little penetration or passion.
The fans have watched this style and pattern of play for far too long.
He has finally after an age of last season and the beginning of this, to understand it would be better to go after sides.
Engaging the fans will be the final act. Away from home we are loud. At home with a high tempo pressing game we will have something to support. Fratton is a really intimidating place to come and if we see the team trying to go after rather than pass side ways he will find that out.
We really were there for the taking and cookay have been a game or three from losing his job.
Unknowingly, you've given him respite and possibly the answer to get us going..

Good, now that we've got the sabre-rattling out of the way we can have a sensible conversation.

I agree that with less caution and more invention, we could have got something from that game, and it was frustrating from my perspective to see so little - but, a point from the game was clearly considered by our management team a good result, and to be frank I wouldn't have disagreed before, during or (obviously) after the game.

On paper it's probably our hardest away game out of the way, and but for the easiest decision from a poor referee for the soft penalty, we weren't stretched and it could have been a draw. Wynter was suckered by wily pro Roberts for the penalty, and the second was always on the cards as we tried in vain to rescue that fast-diminishing point. Heyho, we have seen much improvement on last season already, and let's face it, given we're going to have to lose some during this campaign, away at Pompey isn't a complete slap in the face.

I also agree, results first, fans second has to be the way - the latter will inevitably follow the former (again, as we learned last season). My 'but' is that you rarely threatened to do much, and because most sides will look to shut up shop at your place (in front of 16k - impressive by any measure in the lower leagues) that's your conundrum - do you press harder for the win, and leave yourself more exposed at the back for a breakaway?

Ironically, losing to Col U has often been the death knell for many managers over all the years I've been following the U's, not often has beating us been their saving grace.

Genuinely good luck Fred, you're too big for this League, and I just hope we can consider this one again in League 1 next season.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 00:34 - Aug 24 with 1011 viewsFred10

Pompey chimes to be silenced by the Super U's on Saturday afternoon on 22:24 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

Good, now that we've got the sabre-rattling out of the way we can have a sensible conversation.

I agree that with less caution and more invention, we could have got something from that game, and it was frustrating from my perspective to see so little - but, a point from the game was clearly considered by our management team a good result, and to be frank I wouldn't have disagreed before, during or (obviously) after the game.

On paper it's probably our hardest away game out of the way, and but for the easiest decision from a poor referee for the soft penalty, we weren't stretched and it could have been a draw. Wynter was suckered by wily pro Roberts for the penalty, and the second was always on the cards as we tried in vain to rescue that fast-diminishing point. Heyho, we have seen much improvement on last season already, and let's face it, given we're going to have to lose some during this campaign, away at Pompey isn't a complete slap in the face.

I also agree, results first, fans second has to be the way - the latter will inevitably follow the former (again, as we learned last season). My 'but' is that you rarely threatened to do much, and because most sides will look to shut up shop at your place (in front of 16k - impressive by any measure in the lower leagues) that's your conundrum - do you press harder for the win, and leave yourself more exposed at the back for a breakaway?

Ironically, losing to Col U has often been the death knell for many managers over all the years I've been following the U's, not often has beating us been their saving grace.

Genuinely good luck Fred, you're too big for this League, and I just hope we can consider this one again in League 1 next season.

Up the U's!

The lad that came on called Chaplin who unsettled your defence and provided the ball for the second goal is our answer. He has been prolific at every level so far but his size prohibit s him being used as a lone striker which cook prefers.
He scored 9 from the bench last season and scored against both Derby and Reading in cup comps.
It was he who we wanted on and as soon as he came on we looked far more dangerous albeit being a little more in danger as well. We will take some defeats to get more results at home. You'd just have to see how many draws we had at home last season to understand the fans malaise with the system. He played in the prem cup in a two against Southend yesterday and scored twice.
Away from home our set up is tailor made to get results because the onus is on teams to at least have a go at us. We lost at Morecambe but the fact is, that won't happen to often. We had 65â„… possession and 20 shots. On another day we'd have won by 5.
Our problem is at home we need more than one up top. We need to get after teams. When that happens the fans at fratton create a right noise and I've seen prem teams fold under it and indeed AC Milan so league 2 sides can be really frozen. The present system at home finally acknowledge d by cook allows teams to grow into the game and keeps the crowd quiet.
Cook has openly admitted he is shocked by visiting teams tactics, why I don't know. They've been doing it the entire time he's been here and there in lays the problem . The games in the cup comps against higher league opponents have seen us raise the roof as we help the side but against league 2 other teams won't budge from there half. We must score early. Something we gave yet to do this season. We have scored only from the 42nd min onwards in 5 games. It's just not good enough.
Roberts is arguably the problem and why we play one up.
We should drop him to the bench, bring on Chaplin and replace Bennett with Lalkovitch who didn't play sat but been our best player so far.
Cook says he's learned. We will wait and see at the next home game. If he has, the noise will return. Until then or a manager change is effected we will continue to suffer in silence
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024