Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? 16:35 - Aug 21 with 4784 viewsmrhappy

I haven't been up in 2 and a half years.

Can someone give me the low down

I'm hearing from a source the following:

Run down
Shops boarded up
Knife crime
Unemployment high
Boring
Weirdo central (some odd goings on)
Still has best park in the UK
Still better than Ipswich

Do let me know
I'd like a heads up

Thanks X
[Post edited 21 Aug 2016 16:36]

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 17:45 - Aug 21 with 4766 viewsAFCMorant

I don't visit Colchester very often as I don't go to the WHCS, but on the rare occasions I do I find it run down, tatty and with plenty of scummy low life people. Queen St is particularly bleak and shabby. I visited my old home and the area around Baden Powell Drive was still quite nice. I suspect it's like a lot of places these days, including where I live now, which is basically a London overspill. For me it's lost a lot of its character and charm and is becoming an anonymous "estuary accent" commuter town. I'd certainly never want to move back there.
What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 18:02 - Aug 21 with 4758 viewsFruitbat

If I didn't work in the town centre (and in a few months I won't) then I honestly doubt I would go there by choice. It's deteriorated significantly and is, frankly, a dump.
What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 21:16 - Aug 21 with 4735 viewsmrhappy

Thank you very much for the update.

It wasn't as bad as all that when I lived there

but like a lot of places - it's the people that make it.

I used to round up all the kids in the street and go on trips

When their own parents couldn't be bothered .

Feel sorry for this generation.

They have everything and nothing.

As for the infrastructure - most of these places seem to go to pot after a while.

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 21:38 - Aug 21 with 4724 viewsLeadbelly

The town centre shopping is brilliant if you want to buy a mobile phone, house or second hand tat and also if you fancy a flutter. If none of the aforementioned interest you then not much point going there.

Colchester hasn't been immune to the chav plague, with the accompanying increase in anti social behaviour, sense of entitlement and refusal to accept responsibility for one's actions. As a result I won't go anywhere near the High Street in the evening, other than the Arts Centre.

Claiming something or somewhere is boring shows a lack of imagination. Colchester still has a lot that interests me but, sadly, it seems many people aren't interested in anything beyond cheap booze, crap food and an occasional fight therefore the town is boring.

I have no idea regarding unemployment or weird goings on as I work in London and no longer live in Colchester. Like most things in life it's not what it was and in this case that means it's not as good.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 22:23 - Aug 21 with 4717 viewsmrhappy

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 21:38 - Aug 21 by Leadbelly

The town centre shopping is brilliant if you want to buy a mobile phone, house or second hand tat and also if you fancy a flutter. If none of the aforementioned interest you then not much point going there.

Colchester hasn't been immune to the chav plague, with the accompanying increase in anti social behaviour, sense of entitlement and refusal to accept responsibility for one's actions. As a result I won't go anywhere near the High Street in the evening, other than the Arts Centre.

Claiming something or somewhere is boring shows a lack of imagination. Colchester still has a lot that interests me but, sadly, it seems many people aren't interested in anything beyond cheap booze, crap food and an occasional fight therefore the town is boring.

I have no idea regarding unemployment or weird goings on as I work in London and no longer live in Colchester. Like most things in life it's not what it was and in this case that means it's not as good.

Very good accessment.

Cheers

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 22:41 - Aug 21 with 4716 viewsdurham_exile

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 22:23 - Aug 21 by mrhappy

Very good accessment.

Cheers

As someone who hasn't lived in Essex (Bocking) for over 35 years I bow to those who still live in or around the town.

But Colchester Garrison had £250m of investment and whenever I visit the Town I enjoy the location, the climate and the facilities.

I am afraid that Mr Happys initial post could sum up many inner city areas or large towns. You could experience issues such as those in his post.

It is a salutary fact that it isthe people who are responsible for the problems and in many cases it mattersnothow much investment is made or planned but the impact that dissatisfied or malcontented individuals have on their dwelling places.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 16:43 - Aug 22 with 4670 viewsjonestones

Although we have just moved away from Colchester, I still feel that it is a good place to live. Regardless what a few people have said on here, the shopping is ok and no worse than many of the other places that I've visited recently. The facilities are generally good, as long as you ignore the pot holes! The countryside surrounding the town is nice and offer lots to do. The town may have changed in character a little. But so have we. If my experience of the last few weeks is anything to go by, the older people get the less tolerant they seem to be, especially of younger generations. Nevertheless I have fond memories of the town and will miss it greatly.
What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 17:49 - Aug 22 with 4653 viewsmrhappy

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 16:43 - Aug 22 by jonestones

Although we have just moved away from Colchester, I still feel that it is a good place to live. Regardless what a few people have said on here, the shopping is ok and no worse than many of the other places that I've visited recently. The facilities are generally good, as long as you ignore the pot holes! The countryside surrounding the town is nice and offer lots to do. The town may have changed in character a little. But so have we. If my experience of the last few weeks is anything to go by, the older people get the less tolerant they seem to be, especially of younger generations. Nevertheless I have fond memories of the town and will miss it greatly.

ah i feel your sincerity buddy.....

Login to get fewer ads

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 20:01 - Aug 22 with 4640 viewsLeadbelly

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 16:43 - Aug 22 by jonestones

I'm 50 years old, was born in Colchester, went to school in the town centre and worked in the town for five years.

It is true that the shopping is no worse than many other places these days. The problem is the internet means a vibrant high street is a thing of the past, the problem compounded by the rise in parking charges. I find almost no need to visit Colchester town centre for shopping purposes because it offers nothing I can't buy cheaper on the web, with greater choice and no aggravation attached.

On the rare occasions I go into town in the evening, to see something at the Arts Centre, I am often appalled by the behaviour of those people who clearly frequent the High Street area on a regular basis. Wild West with added vomit.

I still live near Colchester and don't imagine that will change. What has happened to the town, particularly the centre, is typical of what has happened to so many other places across the country and I now find little reason to visit and little pleasure in doing so.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 20:01 - Aug 23 with 4581 viewsburnsieespana

I lived in Colchester for 63 years (apart from 3 in Sudbury) before moving to Spain 7 years ago.
On a recent visit back ( where I saw the Ipswich friendly) I wandered around the town centre on a sunday night I was very depressed about the area around Queen St and Long Wyre St. So many shops shut and boarded up however, I have to say no different to many towns in Spain.
The internet is destroying the centres of towns across the world as far as I can see.
Colchester and the surrounding area though still has much to offer.
What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 21:00 - Aug 23 with 4576 viewsmrhappy

What is Colchester like nowadays as a place ? on 20:01 - Aug 23 by burnsieespana

I lived in Colchester for 63 years (apart from 3 in Sudbury) before moving to Spain 7 years ago.
On a recent visit back ( where I saw the Ipswich friendly) I wandered around the town centre on a sunday night I was very depressed about the area around Queen St and Long Wyre St. So many shops shut and boarded up however, I have to say no different to many towns in Spain.
The internet is destroying the centres of towns across the world as far as I can see.
Colchester and the surrounding area though still has much to offer.

It's all sold online - no rent - no engagement

zombie nations

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024