Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's 20:34 - Sep 23 with 891 viewsdurham_exile

In the 1980’s the team of Accrington Stanley became Nationally famous, probably for the first time since it was reformed in 1968, following a television advertisement for Milk, which brought the Reds considerable coverage and went something like this:

Boy 1: "Milk! Urghh!"
Boy 2: "It's what Ian Rush drinks."
Boy 1: "Ian Rush?"
Boy 2: "Yeah. And he said if I didn't drink lots of milk, when I grow up, I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley."
Boy 1: "Accrington Stanley, who are they?"
Boy 2: "Exactly."

Today Accrington Stanley play at the Wham Stadium (formerly the Crown Ground) and earlier this week ran a strong West Ham team close in the EFL cup losing only to a 96th minute strike from Payet. They also defeated Pompey last weekend and so JM will know that John Coleman’s side will be no pushovers on Saturday at the WHCS.

Indeed, they will probably provide our stiffest challenge to date and the U’s will have to be at their very best to overcome them. Last season Stanley missed out on Automatic Promotion on the last day and then lost in the League Two Play Offs to AFC Wimbledon.

Last weekend the U’s succumbed to a late equaliser at the Hive, in a match that we should perhaps have won. JM was content with a point and in fairness the target has to be to win at home and draw away to maintain an average of two points a game for promotion.

So the Reds are in town and JM will be cursing his luck that we have growing injury concerns with Tom Lapslie joining Frankie Kent, Owen Garvan, Matt Briggs and Louis Dunne. Sammy Szmodics might also be struggling to be fit in which case Craig Slater would deputise.

I also hope that Kinsella returns at left back freeing up Dickenson to play wide left.

I would like to see:

Walker

Brindley Eastman Prosser Kinsella

Fosu Slater Kamara Dickenson

Guthrie

Porter

Subs:

Bransgrove Vincent-Young Wynter Johnstone Akinwande Drey Wright Szmodics (if fit enough)

In a week when Quality Street announced that they are replacing the toffee deluxe, the U’s need to cheer chocolate lovers everywhere with three points!!

A decent crowd at the WHCS should enjoy a strong performance from the U’s before the forthcoming away matches at Crawley and Carlisle.

Keep the pressure on the top three.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 23:11 - Sep 23 with 863 viewsmfb_cufc

It is a pity Accrington's game against West Ham didn't go to extra time, but hopefully a tough game there, and all the travelling, will take the edge off them tomorrow.

If Szmodics is not fit to start I agree with your team selection Durham, but I feel there will be a place for JM's pet Drey Wright.

As for a decent crowd, with Accrington not likely to bring many, I think we will do well to get 3,000.

mfb

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 01:38 - Sep 24 with 851 viewsgerry_us

Watching from afar Durham. Currently in sunny California. Usually when I am out of the country U's get a hatful of points. Lets hope.....I can stay away longer if necessary.
Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 08:46 - Sep 24 with 834 viewsdurham_exile

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 01:38 - Sep 24 by gerry_us

Watching from afar Durham. Currently in sunny California. Usually when I am out of the country U's get a hatful of points. Lets hope.....I can stay away longer if necessary.

Gerry good to hear you are enjoying the sunshine in California.

Hopefully when you return we will be top of the league.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 18:03 - Sep 24 with 784 viewsLeadbelly

The attendance was poor but nothing like as bad as the performance. I look forward to reading about the positives to take from that game from anyone that spotted any.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 19:28 - Sep 24 with 759 viewsbwildered

Parrish conceded his millionth goal at the WHCS , but alas ended up on the winning team ! When will the management learn one goal lead is not enough .
One word sums it up from management down - naive
[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 20:40]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 22:40 - Sep 24 with 706 viewsnoah4x4

I thought it was a better performance than against Barnet, but a classic smash & grab by Accrington. We were the much superior side for 80% of the game, but repeatedly gifted them possession, then didn't "take one for the team" when necessary. Both of their goals were easily preventable, albeit it might have cost a yellow card. Naive is a good description.

What McGreal sees in Akinwande is beyond belief. Did he manage to touch the ball? Our best player (Dickenson) was left on the bench. Good goal, but Drey Wright huffed and puffed. When are we going to have any shape in midfield? Badly missing Garvan and Lapslie. We can't have Wright, Fosu and Guthrie all free-floating. Disappointing.
Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 23:20 - Sep 24 with 695 viewsmfb_cufc

I agree noah. For 55 minutes without playing that well, I thought we were in control of the game. Accrington offered no threat, and we have basically gifted them two goals. As for Akinwande, he showed against Wigan last season, he is totally out of his depth at first team level. He did nothing today to change that view. McGreal has been exempt from much criticism, because on the whole we have been getting results. But he must be the only one in the stadium who thinks Guthrie is a mid-fielder, and even though he scored a good goal today, Wright in my mind doesn't warrant being picked every week. Finally why take Fosu off, he was the only one the whole game to give their defence anything to think about.

mfb

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 23:29 - Sep 24 with 691 viewsdurham_exile

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 23:20 - Sep 24 by mfb_cufc

I agree noah. For 55 minutes without playing that well, I thought we were in control of the game. Accrington offered no threat, and we have basically gifted them two goals. As for Akinwande, he showed against Wigan last season, he is totally out of his depth at first team level. He did nothing today to change that view. McGreal has been exempt from much criticism, because on the whole we have been getting results. But he must be the only one in the stadium who thinks Guthrie is a mid-fielder, and even though he scored a good goal today, Wright in my mind doesn't warrant being picked every week. Finally why take Fosu off, he was the only one the whole game to give their defence anything to think about.

We must learn to drink more milk!

Another disappointing result, now two always at Crawley and Carlisle.

I will be at Brunton Park next Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 10:00 - Sep 25 with 653 viewsMoor_Pinot

Durham - fro the deepest Limousin where the only sport is the boar I can only be objective rather than subjective.
Yet it seems to me that we have so far lost more games than we have won overall and shipped more goals than we've scored. Several issues from 15-16 still exists. The results hint at what Noah4x4 wrote a week or so ago that top half or 10th may be the best hope. If so that's less grief than the seasons of decline where the only consistent thing has been the general downward slope. We are still on it because this season has shown little consistency - least of all in the management yet knowing the best use of the materials. Cuckoo Farm is still no fortress and until more fans than the now consistent [!] 3100 doubles the support noise it will not be.
I can see little to place my faith in any quick return to Div 1 so unless I learn or see different I will keep my expectations in line with our current form and progress. I won't like it but 10th or thereabouts would probably be commensurate with our resources.

I hope you see more positivity at Brunton Park - another local for you!

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 17:02 - Sep 25 with 611 viewsbwildered

Neither striker brought on to salvage the game looks good enough, and where comfortably managed by Crewe U23 side the previous Monday night .
Did somebody from the club go to scout Nigglinton Stanley at London Stadium a couple of days before , if so why did centre half win his first four headers in the U's box from set pieces ?
JM says we should have seen the game out - score at the start of the game , and equalized just after half time !!
Naive - I rest my case .

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 19:36 - Sep 25 with 592 viewsBlueStripes

After a promising start to the season (2nd after the Grimsby game), it seems as if Col U are on their depressingly familiar downward spiral yet again. This match convinced me that we're a million miles off any hope of reaching the play-offs this season. Mid table is probably the best we can hope for - and even that may be a little optimistic! Once again the team is shipping far too many goals (only Morecambe have conceded more at home so far!) and 2 more sloppy giveaways yesterday put paid to us getting anything out of this match. To be fair, without playing particularly well, I thought we had the game fairly well under control until Accrington scored, but after that there was only going to be one winner. We were shocking for the last half hour and what the hell was Guthrie still doing on the pitch at the final whistle - he was awful for the entire match.
Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 20:37 - Sep 25 with 581 viewsdurham_exile

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 17:02 - Sep 25 by bwildered

Neither striker brought on to salvage the game looks good enough, and where comfortably managed by Crewe U23 side the previous Monday night .
Did somebody from the club go to scout Nigglinton Stanley at London Stadium a couple of days before , if so why did centre half win his first four headers in the U's box from set pieces ?
JM says we should have seen the game out - score at the start of the game , and equalized just after half time !!
Naive - I rest my case .

bwildered - JM went to the London Stadium to watch the West Ham game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 09:43 - Sep 26 with 544 viewsnoah4x4

Been thinking about this and it reminds me of the early months under Joe Dunne. A bit of early promise then over confidence and too much tippy tap and losing the ball around the opposition box (albeit Drey Wright did show the others how to shoot). The over ambitious blooding of youngsters that simply get knocked over like a straws in the wind. Did Akinwande win the ball once? My impression was he was always muscled away. let's send him to Lincoln and bring back Bonne!

No Garvan and Lapslie to steady the midfield, instead two loan players running about like headless chickens with no formation. Our best player in recent weeks Dickenson didn't start because of a tweaked hamstring, but he was on the bench and looked fine when thrown on in desperation. That's the word I am looking for...... desperation.

Frankly, I can't see us getting anything at Crawley after the way they demolished us in the cup and albeit that I will trek to Carlisle, I fear it will be a long miserable trip home unless some home truths are told by McGreal and some Division One egos are burst. This is Division Two, this is a war-zone; show some fight!
Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 16:59 - Sep 26 with 510 viewsbwildered

If JM went to the London Stadium earlier in the week , somebody must have stood up in front of him !

Bluestripes - Must have been worse than first though, Guthrie was subbed for Akinwande in the 72 min.

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 22:33 - Sep 27 with 454 viewsBlueStripes

Reds in Town on Saturday - Up the U's on 16:59 - Sep 26 by bwildered

If JM went to the London Stadium earlier in the week , somebody must have stood up in front of him !

Bluestripes - Must have been worse than first though, Guthrie was subbed for Akinwande in the 72 min.

Whoops! Just goes to show how much I missed him! I'll re-assess my opinion of Guthrie - he was great for the last 18 minutes!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024