Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Notts County 15:55 - Nov 23 with 1517 viewsnoah4x4

Today, second HMRC winding up order of the year.

So is the ELF's oldest club about to go into administration?
Problems too at Morecambe.
Others being investigated for Financial Fair Play irregularities.

10 point deductions looming?

Notts County on 17:16 - Nov 23 with 1500 viewsburnsieespana

If these things come to pass could have a huge effect upon the season.
Did I not see recently Notts County were up for sale?
Notts County on 21:21 - Nov 23 with 1475 viewswessex_exile

A salutary lesson in being careful what you wish for I say.

Robbie Cowling may not be all things to all men (Corinthians 9:22), and he has undoubtedly made some mistakes during his tenure, but if in doing so he has kept the HMRC wolves from the door, that's enough for me. Not very long ago I watched Notts County thump us 4-0 at Meadow Lane on the last game of the season (final score was actually 4-1, but for once I had betrayed my natural inclination to stay to the very end of every match, in favour of a slightly earlier train home with better connections). We were on the start of our slide down League 1, Notts County missed the play-offs on goal difference.

Bet there's plenty of Notts County fans who would swap positions (on and off the pitch) with us right now?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Notts County on 08:38 - Nov 24 with 1444 viewsMoor_Pinot

I agree Wessex. I cannot understand our decline fully nor its lack of arrest and pattern issues but I am dead grateful not to be in Notts County's plight, Yes!

In a week when other things have dominated I am delighted that we have arrested the latest decline. Whaddon Rd is a difficullt place to play and I don't recall seeing us win there once so the 0-3 has really lifted my spirits and I hope others on here can grasp something from it. Maybe Mr McGreal can even play the same XI on Saturday? A novelty. It's ages since we beat Crewe and with the table as it is another win might put a completely new impetus into our club. There's optimism!

Do keep posting Gerry... there's precious few of you keeping this old bloke up to speed with the U's stuck down here in millions of acres of trees but where a blue and white flag proudly flies and confuses the postman.

Moor Pinot

Notts County on 09:41 - Nov 25 with 1394 viewswessex_exile

Notts County have published a statement on their website from new Supporter Liaison Officer Dougie Pullen - it's worth a read.

http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/dougie-pullen-slo-notts-coun

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Notts County on 21:37 - Nov 25 with 1364 viewsnoah4x4

Yep Wessex, that sums up my feeling about Robbie Cowling.

I am sure Robbie would respect any of us for saying that we don't always agree with everything that he has done/does. Mistakes have been made, that is the nature of any business. Some youngsters were introduced too early and past focus on player experience was perhaps lacking. But the long term Academy strategy simply has to be right. Having a 'succession plan", hence a pipeline of skilled people for the future is vital to any business.

We have so far had another indifferent season. Now the inexperienced John McGreal seems to have accepted the need for more player experience (Garvan and Elokobi). We are a bit like a juggernaut, it inevitably takes time to turn it around. I saw a great performance on Tuesday.

Those that still believe a top manager will come here are bonkers. Why should Cowling shell out a £half million for another Lambert or Boothroyd, to then see them vanish to a higher bidder at the first glimmer of success. I won't ever join the Cowling out mob as he has kept us solvent despite a succession of poor seasons and indifferent managers. But even managers with a good past track record often fail, whilst others that previously failed succeed elsewhere. It's an art not a science.

I recall in 1995, Alan Hansen said "you don't win anything with kids" . The "Class of 1992" that had finally broken through in that year proved him wrong and Manchester United won the Premier League. But contrary to myth, those "kids" were not 18, they were 21 to 23. That is the current age group of Lapslie, Kent, Dickenson, Slater, Wright, Szmodics etc. Yes, we were premature introducing some at age 18. But I can now see only an upward path from here, provided McGreal manages the team. But I have never subscribed to the theory that Cowling (or Humes) interfere on match day.

Like Notts County, we do need a willing financial backer. Let's not pi55 off Cowling. There is no alternative, unless you have the Sultan of Brunei's private number.
Notts County on 09:36 - Nov 26 with 1347 viewsMoor_Pinot

Quite so Noah; I remain very grateful for many things and Mr Cowling is onesuch. I may not fully understand the decline - despite musings on this board - but then none of us may be close enough to fully appreciate the reasons. I am sure we are however committed to supporting the club through it and hopefully upwards again.

In a world which seems very out of control and in which you poor Noah had an awful recent experience in Tibet I remain grateful for simple things and that highlights the fact that we are not looking at a Notts Co situation. So, on balance I am glad Cowling is still up for it all and hope people keep off his back.

I also implore our minority faction of fans who give us a bad name to get behind the club today and not dwell on the deplorable off-pitch stuff at Crewe. It's time to end this crazy run of Crewe defeats that Durham mentions in the other thread.

Delighted we may have a chance to select the same XI and hopefully we can repeat the Whaddon Rd dominance at home for once.

Up the U's - let's all have more decent football to chat about rather than these other things.

Hopefully Gerry will agree.

Moor Pinot

Notts County on 15:54 - Nov 26 with 1316 viewsWessiehomesPete

The Football League seems to have no interest in protecting clubs.

I actually think that the Championship, stupid as it sounds, becomes a separate Premier League and the Conference somehow becomes the new "League 2."

Paint Trophy, Little League Cup, 7 rounds of the FA Cup before the so-called "big" clubs have play... From over here, I've been watching for many years.

Why isn't there a Tesco Cup for Conference and lower. England is diluting comps and I truly believe the Conference and League 2 should be 1. Wouldn't bother me.

At least in the states we don't have a relegation. We believe it's a bizarre concept... You buy a club for $100,000,000 you ARE in the big leagues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024