Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day 16:10 - Dec 24 with 979 viewsdurham_exile

Luton Town provide the seasonal opposition for JM’s resurgent Super U’s on Boxing Day.
Managed by Nathan Jones; not the one made famous by the Supremes, the Hatters sit in 5th place in the table with 35 points from 21 games.

Make no mistake with a decent holiday crowd and both teams playing well at present, this will be a keenly contested and important match. The Super U’s sit in 13th place with 27 points from 21 games, but have the ability to finish much higher in the league.

Luton have largely avoided the injuries sustained by their counterparts and also have Alan Sheehan and Dan Potts fit for this encounter. This is part of the reason for their lofty position.

JM is likely to field an unchanged team for the fifth successive game and why not. They are playing well with confidence and have started to show what a force they can be in League Two. Whilst Chris Porter my travel with the team, he is unlikely to feature, save from the bench; whilst the citizenship issues surrounding Macauley Bonne may prevent him from representing Zimbabwe in the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations. James Bransgrove has quit football to pursue business ventures.

Therefore, suggest the following team in a 3,4,1,2 formation:

Walker

Eastman Kent Elokobi

Brindley Garvan Lapslie Dickenson

Slater

Guthrie Johnstone

Subs:

Barnes, Wright, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Doyley, Szmodics, Porter

The U’s owe a considerable debt of thanks to Kurtis Guthrie. It was his intervention and post-match interview following the Yeovil game which has helped transform the U’s season. The criticism (justified) of certain boo-boys amongst the crowd and a call to his colleagues to step up their game has proved influential in turning things around.

The Hatters will provide a strong challenge on Boxing Day, but they are not unbeatable and these are the sort of games where no additional motivation is required.

Another all ticket game and where a healthy following of the faithful should have plenty to enjoy after their turkey festivities.

Travel well, enjoy the game and Up the Super U’s.

Durham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 16:24 - Dec 24 with 975 viewsMoor_Pinot

Excellent Durham - Rousing!
Firstly the compliments of the season from the depths of rurality where a U's flag flies proudly!

Secondly, you have hit a nail on the head. Guthrie's words seem to have done something McGreal's couldn't or didn't? Immaterial. Bravo the lad and may he keep scoring too. From this distance he really has enabled a corner to be turned. This messageboard made too little of the win at Whaddon Road which is a difficult place, probably because it had other things on its mind but I felt that was a surprising win, out of kilter with what had been transpiring. Results since have proved it to have been [minimally] catalystic. I hope the run can be maintained at a very tricky Boxing Day fixture. Up the U's and good on Mr Guthrie.

Time you opened a bottle Durham - most uplifting. I will too!

Moor Pinot

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 17:23 - Dec 24 with 965 viewsmfb_cufc

On paper this is one of our hardest games of the season, but Luton have only won four of their ten home games, so getting a result is not out of the question.

After we play Stevenage on New Year's eve, we will have played ten of the top twelve away. So it will be an interesting second-half of the season, when we play these teams at our place.

Looking at our chances of reaching the play-offs, we probably need a minimum of 70 points. That means we are going to need at least 43 points from 25 games. That is top three form for the rest of the season. A tall order, but possible if we can keep the current form going.

mfb

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 19:59 - Dec 24 with 938 viewswessex_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 17:23 - Dec 24 by mfb_cufc

On paper this is one of our hardest games of the season, but Luton have only won four of their ten home games, so getting a result is not out of the question.

After we play Stevenage on New Year's eve, we will have played ten of the top twelve away. So it will be an interesting second-half of the season, when we play these teams at our place.

Looking at our chances of reaching the play-offs, we probably need a minimum of 70 points. That means we are going to need at least 43 points from 25 games. That is top three form for the rest of the season. A tall order, but possible if we can keep the current form going.

I agree, along with Plymouth and Portsmouth away, this does look to be one of our sternest tests of the season - but - although we lost the other two, it could be argued we were unlucky to do so, and certainly showed we are capable (on the day) of being at least equal to these teams.

Your analysis of the minimum required to be in with a shout of the play-offs is spot on, and on paper it looks like a tall order. I, however, prefer to just focus on the immediate situation, in that we are just 4pts from the play-offs, and with a half-decent goal difference (in that it is at least positive, and certainly not appreciably worse than Wycombe and Cambridge).

With a strong following of the U's faithful at both Luton and Stevenage, I would hope we'll come away from those two with at least a few points for our efforts, and if that doesn't leave us too far adrift going into 2017, anything is possible.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 21:02 - Dec 24 with 939 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 16:24 - Dec 24 by Moor_Pinot

Excellent Durham - Rousing!
Firstly the compliments of the season from the depths of rurality where a U's flag flies proudly!

Secondly, you have hit a nail on the head. Guthrie's words seem to have done something McGreal's couldn't or didn't? Immaterial. Bravo the lad and may he keep scoring too. From this distance he really has enabled a corner to be turned. This messageboard made too little of the win at Whaddon Road which is a difficult place, probably because it had other things on its mind but I felt that was a surprising win, out of kilter with what had been transpiring. Results since have proved it to have been [minimally] catalystic. I hope the run can be maintained at a very tricky Boxing Day fixture. Up the U's and good on Mr Guthrie.

Time you opened a bottle Durham - most uplifting. I will too!

Pinault - Seasons Greetings to you.

There is no doubt that Guthrie has kick started the U's season. Kenilworth Road will be a test but one that we can overcome.

JM is seeking a striker and in truth we have been looking for someone for the past five years to transform chances into goals. Let us hope that the new year secures the right calibre of striker.

Play Offs are almost in touching distance.

Enjoy the festivities and I will be opening a bottle to toast among other things the U's improved form!

Up the U's
[Post edited 24 Dec 2016 21:05]

Durham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 14:14 - Dec 26 with 836 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's unchanged for game at kenilworth road.

5th game in a row First time for 10 years

Up the U's
[Post edited 26 Dec 2016 14:18]

Durham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 17:01 - Dec 26 with 815 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 14:14 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Super U's unchanged for game at kenilworth road.

5th game in a row First time for 10 years

Up the U's
[Post edited 26 Dec 2016 14:18]

Brilliant

Up the Super U's

Durham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 17:17 - Dec 26 with 802 viewsburnsieespana

Firstly season's greetings to all.
Secondly a big congratulation to JM and the boys on today's result.
Funny how when you start to do well the luck seems to come to you with late winners and also nobody wants to be out injured. Longest run unchanged in ten year's is a staggering stat when you think it is only five games!
Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 17:33 - Dec 26 with 796 viewsnoah4x4

Edge of the seat stuff. Either side could have nicked it in a game of few chances. Super defending by Eastman, Elokobi and Kent against a dangerous prolific attack. Yet again the referee and linesmen could have done better as a robust home team didn't hesitate to resort to cage fighting tactics. I fear that Curtis Guthrie may not recover for NYE. He must have run a half marathon. An amazing effort, but looked totally spent after 90 minutes, but Ports is back.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2016 17:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 18:34 - Dec 26 with 767 viewsdurham_exile

Nathan Jones - enjoy your sour grapes!!!!!
He said after the game:

Speaking after the match, the Town boss said: “I am distraught, I am devastated if I am being honest.

“I never felt we were in any danger whatsoever throughout the game and then we have gone to sleep on a set play, second phase and they have gone home with the three points.

“Credit to them, they are in decent form, but I never felt we were under any pressure whatsoever.

“We missed a great chance with Johnny Mullins, we had a lot of good situations, we controlled most of the game and went to sleep on just one set play and it has cost us.

“No matter what side we play, everyone has to go out and perform and today I didn’t feel we were under any pressure.

“It was a Boxing Day game, you get a lot of freak results. We looked solid, We defended well, we have just gone to sleep in the second phase and they have scored.

“Apart from the Owen Garvan chance, they haven’t had an opportunity, so it’s disappointing from our point of view.”

However the stats indicate that we had 14 shot to their 10 and we had 8 on target to their 5.

Perhaps it is about time that other managers credited the resurgent U's rather than criticising the team.

Craig Slater, surely not only most improved player but also a contender for Player of the Season. Kurtis Guthrie most transformed player bow that he is playing in his best position.

Credit also to JM for his team formation which is producing the results.

Up the Super U's

Durham_exile

Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 18:54 - Dec 26 with 757 viewsburnsieespana

When JM was appointed somebody I know said they felt he had the best football brain of anybody they had met in the game. Now this friend is not a Col U supporter but I do respect his football views. Just maybe that brain is starting to go into top gear after half a season experience of the league.
Don't know why Luton fans are so upset about today's result but football, as we well know is about taking your chances and not about how many shots you have either had on or off target.
Come on you U's keep this run going right through the New Year.
Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 19:30 - Dec 26 with 744 viewsnoah4x4

It was a game that lacked quality. Division two fare, two teams deadlocked etc. They hoofed it, we tried to get it on the deck but a poor pitch frustrated both. But was it exciting from kick off? You bet!

The U's will have been inspired by the travelling 500 that utterly out sang 8,500 Luton in their biggest crowd of the season. Honest football fans won't suggest the better side won or lost it. It was simply our day. We haven't had too many of those.
Super U's clinical performance to make Hatters mad on Boxing Day on 19:47 - Dec 26 with 734 viewsWessiehomesPete

I'm stunned. I confess I even predicted 2-0 in Daniel's PL

Listening to it did make it seem a bit dull, but I jumped off the sofa with Slater's late goal.

The playoffs look incredibly realistic. Well done U's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024