Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete 00:08 - Feb 14 with 1701 viewsDaniel

I have reluctantly pressed the big red BAN button. I say reluctantly as the board has always been good at moderating itself and I had hoped Pete would have got the message from other users and reined in his posts.

Away from the board I had warned him and naively trusted him when he said he was going to remove himself from the board and/or only post on topic.

I'm not sure if this will be a permanent or temporary ban. I may leave this for you to decide by way of a poll. For now though, I apologise that I left it so long to put a stop to his nonsense.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 00:16 - Feb 14 with 1691 viewsColukev

Thanks Daniel

It should never have to come to banning someone, after so many warnings from yourself and others.

With this in mind, I see no alternative to this being a permanent ban, why would it change Pete now, if it hasn't previously.
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 12:45 - Feb 14 with 1641 viewsmrhappy

A POLL to decide once and for all- please vote

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 12:55 - Feb 14 with 1635 viewswessex_exile

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 12:45 - Feb 14 by mrhappy

A POLL to decide once and for all- please vote

I think if Daniel chooses to run a poll Haps, it should be done by him, and most definitely not now. I would rather members gauge whether they feel the board is better or worse without Pete's contributions once they've had the opportunity of time to (in)form that opinion.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 13:22 - Feb 14 with 1618 viewsdurham_exile

I agree that banning him is the only course of action.

Anyone who has any doubt need only troll through some of his posts over the past 6 months. The appalling content, subject matter and constant threats are totally unwanted on any forum, particularly this one where the banter and content has always been topical and acceptable.

On a final note, anyone who professes love for Southend is totally unhinged!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 13:32 - Feb 14 with 1613 viewsmrhappy

I hear you folks - apologies if I pre-emptied myself lol- onwards !

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 15:28 - Feb 14 with 1581 viewsthrillseeker

Having met Pete a number of times I have always found him very amicable which makes his weird ramblings even harder to understand

I really hope these ramblings are not an undertone for something more serious, illness for example

Daniel has made his decision and I will support it as he is the moderator and sometimes he will have to make such enforcement decisions.

May be in the future Pete will be allowed to return but that wll be down to us members of the forum to decide.

I do agree with Durham in that anyone (even in jest) who professes love for Seaweed and/ or Ipswich is out of order
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 15:47 - Feb 14 with 1571 viewsmrhappy

Met him on 3 occasions - always memorable - deep down he has good heart and is generous- you just have to allow for his mad cap moments........bless him.

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 16:12 - Feb 14 with 1559 viewsnoah4x4

Didn't we hold a previous referendum that led to the earlier ban?

Respect WessiehomesPestExit and let's get on with our peaceful lives.
Login to get fewer ads

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 16:18 - Feb 14 with 1557 viewsgerry_us

I still remember my meeting up with him in Des Moines Iowa USA when he was IowaPete. He was an OK bloke then and we shared a very pleasant evening together swopping good U's stories. I never actually understood his reasons behind support of the U's as at that time 2007 he hadn't crossed the pond as far as I was aware. The pub where we met served a brilliant sausage and mash, something I had missed greatly in my time in the US so a great surprise and delight to see it on the menu.
Not sure what has changed in Pete's life since then but it is obviously for the worse and one would hope that someone near and dear to him would spot the problems and help him through it.
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 16:24 - Feb 14 with 1551 viewsmrhappy

Well, losing your nearest and dearest aint the easiest thing to cope with.

His fiancee was a stable influence no doubt.

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 18:26 - Feb 14 with 1514 viewsburnsieespana

Given the circumstances a very sad day but had to be done for the sanity of all on here and for the future of this board.
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 23:14 - Feb 14 with 1475 viewsLeadbelly

Thank you Daniel.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 11:24 - Feb 15 with 1434 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 12:55 - Feb 14 by wessex_exile

I think if Daniel chooses to run a poll Haps, it should be done by him, and most definitely not now. I would rather members gauge whether they feel the board is better or worse without Pete's contributions once they've had the opportunity of time to (in)form that opinion.

Well I'm glad the 'it's categorically not bulling' extends to Pete's friends as well. If there is anyone left that doesn't agree with the big boys, please take note, your views are no longer welcome on here.

Daniel posts " I may leave this for you to decide by way of a poll", Haps posts "let's have a poll', but he's instantly silenced.

Like many, for nearly 15 years I have been pleased to read Pete's posts and for most of that time he has kept an even keel and done no harm. I am honoured that when he had the whole world to choose from, he chose us to be his friends.

Now that his life has hit rough seas, and he probably needs his friends more than ever, he is no longer able to share his life with the many who care and anyone who may have sympathy with him has been scared away from posting because of the toxic environment created by a few who's minds are constrained by boundaries that the rest of us don't have.

It is plainly obvious to many of us that the more that was thrown at Pete, the more he tried to reach out to the friends that he knew were hiding behind the mob. Obviously this was only going to end one way and I agree a ban is the only way to stop this perpetual downward spiral.

This is a forum for supporters of a fourth-rate football team, it has no limits on its size, we are not trying to find a cure for cancer. Pete, like me, is different to Joe Average, but as backed up by many who have met him, he is a nice bloke. For years he has done no harm at all, until recently when things have gone a little off the rails for him and now he is relentlessly provoked and wound up until he posts something daft.

I will never ever understand why someone who doesn't want to read someone else's posts cannot stop themselves from reading them, it is a failing, some sick fascination, it is a weakness.

The one I love is when one of you drops out of the loop for a few weeks and then comes back and says 'see I've ignored him but he's still doing it', priceless.

The reason people don't post on here much is not Pete, it's the hate and toxicity that a few of you have peddled, because you can't cope with 2017 and how the internet works and that your issues are not necessarily our issues. People are too scared to post anything that the inner circle may not like. The above post is a perfect example. Mr H has to go on to apologise in a later post, he does not need to do that. That is wrong, it is bullying.

Some of you are just like the man with OCD who cannot cope with a shirt facing the wrong way in his wardrobe, it's the shirts fault. You cannot comprehend that it may be you that has the problem.

The fact that you have this problem is OK for the rest of us until you team up with some more OCD freaks and before you know it you are not content with arranging your own wardrobes, you have to arrange ours as well. It may come as a shock to you, but we don't share your problem, many of us like our wardrobes all random. Many of us like Pete's posts, but now a minority of you have managed to censor what we read, because it's outside the boundaries of what you can cope with. Just like the shirt, it's Pete's fault, it can't possibly be your fault.

Your new found power is already silencing others that have a different view to yours, you will not be happy until all posts are to your satisfaction.

You now have your own little clique that can talk 24/7 about in depth mind numbing Colchester United matters, or of course you can be hypocritical and talk about just the non Col U maters that interest you. You don't need the internet for that, you could meet in a small pub. You just don't see what the rest of us can see, you don't understand how your children and grandchildren use the internet.

Pete if you are reading, I wish you all the best and I hope you have a great time when you come over. You should view this ban as a great opportunity to make new friends elsewhere. You are a fun, interesting person and I hope those on here that know you, continue to enjoy your company.

Goodbye U'sual
[Post edited 15 Feb 2017 12:02]
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 12:47 - Feb 15 with 1398 viewsjonestones

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 11:24 - Feb 15 by TheOldOakTree

Well I'm glad the 'it's categorically not bulling' extends to Pete's friends as well. If there is anyone left that doesn't agree with the big boys, please take note, your views are no longer welcome on here.

Daniel posts " I may leave this for you to decide by way of a poll", Haps posts "let's have a poll', but he's instantly silenced.

Like many, for nearly 15 years I have been pleased to read Pete's posts and for most of that time he has kept an even keel and done no harm. I am honoured that when he had the whole world to choose from, he chose us to be his friends.

Now that his life has hit rough seas, and he probably needs his friends more than ever, he is no longer able to share his life with the many who care and anyone who may have sympathy with him has been scared away from posting because of the toxic environment created by a few who's minds are constrained by boundaries that the rest of us don't have.

It is plainly obvious to many of us that the more that was thrown at Pete, the more he tried to reach out to the friends that he knew were hiding behind the mob. Obviously this was only going to end one way and I agree a ban is the only way to stop this perpetual downward spiral.

This is a forum for supporters of a fourth-rate football team, it has no limits on its size, we are not trying to find a cure for cancer. Pete, like me, is different to Joe Average, but as backed up by many who have met him, he is a nice bloke. For years he has done no harm at all, until recently when things have gone a little off the rails for him and now he is relentlessly provoked and wound up until he posts something daft.

I will never ever understand why someone who doesn't want to read someone else's posts cannot stop themselves from reading them, it is a failing, some sick fascination, it is a weakness.

The one I love is when one of you drops out of the loop for a few weeks and then comes back and says 'see I've ignored him but he's still doing it', priceless.

The reason people don't post on here much is not Pete, it's the hate and toxicity that a few of you have peddled, because you can't cope with 2017 and how the internet works and that your issues are not necessarily our issues. People are too scared to post anything that the inner circle may not like. The above post is a perfect example. Mr H has to go on to apologise in a later post, he does not need to do that. That is wrong, it is bullying.

Some of you are just like the man with OCD who cannot cope with a shirt facing the wrong way in his wardrobe, it's the shirts fault. You cannot comprehend that it may be you that has the problem.

The fact that you have this problem is OK for the rest of us until you team up with some more OCD freaks and before you know it you are not content with arranging your own wardrobes, you have to arrange ours as well. It may come as a shock to you, but we don't share your problem, many of us like our wardrobes all random. Many of us like Pete's posts, but now a minority of you have managed to censor what we read, because it's outside the boundaries of what you can cope with. Just like the shirt, it's Pete's fault, it can't possibly be your fault.

Your new found power is already silencing others that have a different view to yours, you will not be happy until all posts are to your satisfaction.

You now have your own little clique that can talk 24/7 about in depth mind numbing Colchester United matters, or of course you can be hypocritical and talk about just the non Col U maters that interest you. You don't need the internet for that, you could meet in a small pub. You just don't see what the rest of us can see, you don't understand how your children and grandchildren use the internet.

Pete if you are reading, I wish you all the best and I hope you have a great time when you come over. You should view this ban as a great opportunity to make new friends elsewhere. You are a fun, interesting person and I hope those on here that know you, continue to enjoy your company.

Goodbye U'sual

With respect TOOT, I disagree with a few of the statements that you made in your previous post.

I disagree that ignoring is the best policy. Pete has made threats (verbal and physical), racist remarks and controversial comments for a long time. For a long time, board members laughed it off as Pete letting off steam. Which resulted in the ‘behaviour’ becoming accepted by the community. Which in turn encouraged an increase in similar behaviours. Etc, etc.

I agree that knowing when and where to draw the line is very difficult, as is identifying who is responsible for drawing the line. However, doing nothing, putting your head in the sand, ignoring doesn’t rectify anything. Real life doesn’t work like that. We live in a complicated world of cause and effect. Our actions have consequences on others. We all learn, most of us at a young age, that if we behave in a certain way there are certain results, e.g. if we react in a negative way towards others that they will behave in a negative way towards us, EVEN if we are provoked. Provocation does not legitimise inappropriate behaviours. Toddlers and young children often find this a very difficult lesson to learn. We’ve all had elders reel off phrases like, ‘Do unto others as you do to yourself’, ‘treat others as you want to be treated’. We were told phrases like this for a reason. I personally don’t think Pete was bullied or provoked, but even if he was, that does not give him the right to be racist or to threaten others with violence. I’m sure I do not need to remind you that, you yourself were threatened with violence and legal action when you tried to help Pete.

I am assuming that the “'see I've ignored him but he's still doing it', priceless” comment was aimed me, as that is exactly what I did. I tried to follow your advice and walk away. However, I think you are ignoring Pete’s responsibilities as a member of our community. I agree the internet allows us to express our views. And I agree that we all have the right to express these views. But you cannot seriously think that in his age of tolerance, inclusion and diversity that people can expect to say racist comments or threaten people with violence and expected it to be tolerated by the community and not challenged. In a perfect world we would all be able to say what we like and behave how we like, but we cannot. If we did there would be chaos.

In my humble opinion, board members stepped in because the board’s moderators took their time to moderate. I personally, don’t see that as a fault. I see that as a strength of this board’s posters.

I also disagree that there is an inner circle on the board. I am intrigued though to find out who these ‘big boys’ are that you talk about!

I also, whole heartedly disagree that this is a Colchester topics only board. I personally feel Pete missed the point here. My take is that you can post any topics on here. However, you can’t expect to threaten others or wind others up by claiming to support sarfend or Ipswich and then expect people to respond nicely to your posts (whether they are about Colchester or not).

I have always enjoyed reading your candid responses TOOT and I hope that you do not take offence to my reply. I am in no way suggesting that you are wrong. I am just expressing my views as you so rightly point out that we are all entitled to do.

Finally, I would like to mirror your best wishes to Pete.
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 13:16 - Feb 15 with 1384 viewsLeadbelly

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 11:24 - Feb 15 by TheOldOakTree

Goodbye U'sual

Sorry TOOT but I couldn't disagree more and if that makes me a bully in your eyes I'll have to live with that.

If you think Pete has been hounded from this board by "big boys" rather than as a result of his continual deriding of Colchester Utd and its fans with accompanying threats of violence please go back and see where these threads started. He has certainly been given far more respect, understanding and tolerance on this board than on some others and arguably more than some of his comments may deserve.

Pete has now been banned and, as you know, it's not the first time. When someone finds themselves at odds with the wider population, in whatever field, you may argue that is the fault of the wider population. When this happens repeatedly over a number of years, when the individual concedes he has been wrong, apologises, promises to modify his behaviour and yet still continues to behave in a fashion that the majority find unacceptable you may still argue it is the fault of everyone else rather the individual who has now been banned. Entirely your prerogative but please excuse my holding a different view.

I don't know why Pete feels the need to post as he does. He doesn't restrict his comments to this board and his posts elsewhere have a similar tone. If it was as simple as blocking his posts then all would be well. Unfortunately Pete is not averse to trying to carry on his "discussions" via personal messages. Whilst I've not been exposed to this very often I know some people have. It isn't pleasant.

If other members on here are friends of Pete's then I'm sure they will, if they wish, remain in contact with him and help in whatever way they can.

As someone who has a close relative who suffers from OCD may I suggest your reference to us as "OCD freaks" was as inaccurate as it was unnecessary.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 15:45 - Feb 15 with 1352 viewsTheOldOakTree

OK, OK, OK, my post was way over the top and I apologise to anyone offended. I have said before I don’t think any of you are bad people at all, least of all you JT. I’m sorry Lead for making light of something I admit I am ignorant of. Most of all I apologise to Wessex for being totally out of order.

Understandably there has been something of a kangaroo court in operation here for many months and I’ve taken it upon myself to stick my head above the parapet and try to provide some defence. That has been unsuccessful and I accept that what has happened is for the best for all parties.

I would totally agree that if anyone new posted some of the crap that has appeared on here, or dished out personal abuse, then he/she should be banned immediately.

We are talking about someone that has posted fun messages for years and years and has character references from many friends. Something has gone wrong and maybe my judgement is clouded because I’ve been on the outside at times in my life, but I felt several months ago some of you didn’t cut as much slack as I would have done. That’s not a criticism, we are all different and we’ve all had different experiences in life.

From my memory all the bad stuff has always come after people on here have taken the bait and responded. This soon spiralled out of control and more and more posts appeared in what I assumed to be a call for friendship, but by that time any sympathetic ear was put off from joining in because of the elephant in the room. The whole business has saddened me greatly and although the outcome has never been in doubt, I had hoped that things could return to how they were several years ago, I suppose I always knew that wouldn’t happen.

As you know I can relate to the situation and I’m concerned. That doesn’t give me the right to piss any of you off or make wild allegations, I’m sorry.

I accept it’s done and dusted and time to move on.
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 16:13 - Feb 15 with 1339 viewsjonestones

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 15:45 - Feb 15 by TheOldOakTree

OK, OK, OK, my post was way over the top and I apologise to anyone offended. I have said before I don’t think any of you are bad people at all, least of all you JT. I’m sorry Lead for making light of something I admit I am ignorant of. Most of all I apologise to Wessex for being totally out of order.

Understandably there has been something of a kangaroo court in operation here for many months and I’ve taken it upon myself to stick my head above the parapet and try to provide some defence. That has been unsuccessful and I accept that what has happened is for the best for all parties.

I would totally agree that if anyone new posted some of the crap that has appeared on here, or dished out personal abuse, then he/she should be banned immediately.

We are talking about someone that has posted fun messages for years and years and has character references from many friends. Something has gone wrong and maybe my judgement is clouded because I’ve been on the outside at times in my life, but I felt several months ago some of you didn’t cut as much slack as I would have done. That’s not a criticism, we are all different and we’ve all had different experiences in life.

From my memory all the bad stuff has always come after people on here have taken the bait and responded. This soon spiralled out of control and more and more posts appeared in what I assumed to be a call for friendship, but by that time any sympathetic ear was put off from joining in because of the elephant in the room. The whole business has saddened me greatly and although the outcome has never been in doubt, I had hoped that things could return to how they were several years ago, I suppose I always knew that wouldn’t happen.

As you know I can relate to the situation and I’m concerned. That doesn’t give me the right to piss any of you off or make wild allegations, I’m sorry.

No need to apologies TOOT. Like you say, we are all entitled to have our say. For a split second though, I thought you were saying goodbye to The Usual then. I truly hope that is not the case.

Lets just all move on. Onwards and hopefully (in the U's case) upwards.
Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 17:34 - Feb 15 with 1307 viewsdurham_exile

TOOT it is time to move on with this subject.

I do recall that in an earlier post you questioned Barside's mental state.
The erratic and bizarre nature of his posts were certainly becoming more disturbing.

I trust that he can now reflect on his actions and when he visits the WHCS in March, he decides that supporting the Super U's is preferable to all his unnecessary sledging and threatening behaviour prevalent in his most recent content.

Onward and upward

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wessiehomes/Barside Pete on 17:43 - Feb 15 with 1302 viewswessex_exile

Likewise TOOT, no need to apologise and no offence taken. We've shared enough on this matter, and indeed life experiences in general, off-line, so I knew where you were coming from. On the subject of the poll, I actually believe Pete is entitled to that in due course, once the dust has settled and everyone has had a chance to calm down. I'd even go so far as to say that probably ought to be some sort of secret ballot, to avoid any suggestion of impropriety. I just don't think now is the time.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024