Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leeds 1971 15:57 - Feb 14 with 1658 viewsDaniel

Yesterday was 46 years since our famous giant killing. Does the result still have the same sparkle these days, what with topflight clubs not taking the competition seriously these days and Leeds not being the club they once were?

This post has been edited by an administrator
Leeds 1971 on 16:10 - Feb 14 with 1646 viewsgerry_us

Absolutely the same sparkle and I still sometimes look at the highlights on YouTube. Happy to say that myself, wife and soon to be born first daughter were present at the match at the Clock End on the wobbly concrete sleepers (health and safety. Pah!). Have never managed to spot us on the highlights programme but as my wife is five foot nothing she actually saw very little of the game after the kick-off. Segregation was unheard of in those days and the best memory was walking back in to town with shell shocked Leeds supporters who were very complimentary about the U's performance. Still have the Leeds scarf I swopped for a U's one but suspect the recipient of mine ditched it long before arriving back in Leeds.
Shame that the top clubs don't take it seriously until the semi's .. even if then. Still, will be cheering for my "local" club Lincoln City but will be more pleased if they make it back into the League for a potential short journey to see the U's.....if we are still in this division obviously.
Leeds 1971 on 16:31 - Feb 14 with 1638 viewsdurham_exile

I am sure that LB would have something to say regarding Leeds United and their current position (which is on the up I would suggest).

There will be several on this board who would have been present and it would be great to read their thoughts.

In short the result still remains our greatest ever single victory in the club's history.

Sadly I didnt see the game, it came just before we moved from Enfield to Braintree and in those days I supported Chelsea!! I saw the light in 1972, (first game was Colchester v Gillingham with over 10,000 inside Layer Road) and haven't regretted it for one moment since. Even though exiled in the "frozen" north, I try to get to as many games as possible each season.

Leeds United were a great side in 1971, full of internationals and still competing for three trophies when they came to Layer Road. Don Revie had misgivings about the game, Dick Graham believed Colchester could win.

I dont think that the match receives the attention from the media that it deserves. Television is always showing highlights from the Hereford v Newcastle game or Sutton v Coventry etc etc.

Colchester have never received the credit that they should have been given. The result was monumental (even though Billy Bremner did not play) and ultimately cost Leeds the league, even though they won the Fairs Cup. Next season they lifted the FA Cup, so certain was Revie that he wouldn't let lightning strike twice.

I enjoyed the big FA Cup games against Man Utd and the League Cup against Aston Villa and of course the Parky season of 2005/06 but for FA Cup shocks, there have not been many greater than Colchester United 3 Leeds United 2.

Bring on Accrington!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Leeds 1971 on 18:33 - Feb 14 with 1615 viewsburnsieespana

Will never forget that afternoon and from time to time still read the programme, watch footage and re read for the thousanth time the various newspaper cuttings I still have.
Also will never forget hugging and being hugged by a total stranger when the third goal went in.
As an aside, my parents that day had friends from Leeds visiting and they were completely shattered at the result when I called on my parents. My old man was a Hartlepool United supporter all his life but took out a season ticket for Colchester the following season!
Leeds 1971 on 18:57 - Feb 14 with 1609 viewsthrillseeker

I can't comment as only 4 months old on day of match
Leeds 1971 on 23:10 - Feb 14 with 1586 viewsLeadbelly

Leeds Utd are doing very well this season but are nothing compared to the team of the late 1960s and early 1970s. I doubt they ever will be.

There is no reason why the result should ever lose its sparkle. It was a great result against the top side in the land and will, I'm afraid, always be amongst the greatest cup upsets of all time.

Leeds have had two embarrassing losses to non league teams in recent years but, relatively speaking and due to team selection, I don't see these as such a big deal.

Would beating Chelsea, Manchester City or Arsenal next season be considered a bigger upset than beating Leeds forty six years ago? I say yes in the hope it happens and I can stop being reminded about it!

Anyway, I have my tickets for the Cobbold Standard on Saturday and am sure I won't be the only one on here hoping for a Leeds win.

MOT

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Leeds 1971 on 14:29 - Feb 15 with 1556 viewswessex_exile

Whilst there have been many notable cup exploits in recent times, I personally always feel the gloss is somewhat taken off these by the Premier League sides fielding a second XI. Okay, admittedly their second XI is probably still a very good team, likely capable of holding their own in the PL, but the Leeds side we faced that day was the strongest team Revie could field (Bremner was injured?), and considered one of the best teams in Europe at the time. That for me means our victory will likely never be bettered as a giant-killing.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Leeds 1971 on 15:58 - Feb 15 with 1551 viewsTheOldOakTree

Leeds 1971 on 14:29 - Feb 15 by wessex_exile

Whilst there have been many notable cup exploits in recent times, I personally always feel the gloss is somewhat taken off these by the Premier League sides fielding a second XI. Okay, admittedly their second XI is probably still a very good team, likely capable of holding their own in the PL, but the Leeds side we faced that day was the strongest team Revie could field (Bremner was injured?), and considered one of the best teams in Europe at the time. That for me means our victory will likely never be bettered as a giant-killing.

I was there on terrace 4 I believe, but I was wee lad and don't have may memories. It was my first visit to Layer Road.

I remember seeing Jackie Charlton, but apart from the rear of the man standing in front of me I didn't see much else. Just as well as I'm ashamed to say I was sporting a Leeds rosette. They were, of course, the Chelsea of the day.

My late Dad who'd been a regular at Layer Road during the 40's and 50's wasn't best pleased with my allegiance, but as kind as ever, he didn't rub it in when the final whistle went.

I think he forgave me later in life when I took him to Wembley for our first two visits.

Edit: With reference to Billy Bremner who yes was injured I believe, many years later I was driving home from work listening to the Brazil v Scotland world cup game on the radio and Bremner was summariser. I think Scotland needed to beat Brazil to stay in? and they played a blinder. I think Scotland hit the crossbar early on and you could clearly hear a Scottish voice shout O H F U C K!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2017 16:02]
Leeds 1971 on 17:16 - Feb 15 with 1529 viewsMoor_Pinot

Agree with Gerry Daniel. The same sparkle.
My father wouldn't let me go - refused to drive me from Castle Hedingham to Colchester - frequently did and was one of the reasons I got a car asap!
On the school bus to Braintree on the Monday was a lad who, as a newspaper delivery boy, had copies of all the Sunday papers. My recollection is that the papers were utterly astonished by the winn and the coverage dominated the papers whatever the format. It truly was a giant result and as Durham says never, absolutely never gets the credit it deserved. Leeds were No. 1 in the world at the time, a truly great side with most of their usual XI on show. Indeed, as I re-watch the DVD I am reminded how we, but for Sprake, could have had a 4thh, whilst the quality of Leeds was that tbh they may even have still won the game.
Now, with passing years and the inevitable consequence of divorces I no longer have those cuttings - truly wish I did. But a U's flag proudlly flutters in the Limousin sunshine here on a beautiful 17 degree day......at last.

I would not wish to discredit the results other sides manage FAC year by year but our 3-2 win rocked the football world for weeks and I for one remember basking in it..................there were plenty of Leeds supporters at school, probably more than there were regularly watching the U's, but then, tis the same nowadays!! Reminds me, even saw a Leeds shirt in Aubusson last week Whalers!

Poor result last night - not convinced we can make the top 7 this year, those injuries are piling up and we are leaking goals again far too easily.

Fingers crossed.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Leeds 1971 on 18:09 - Feb 15 with 1515 viewsLeadbelly

Leeds 1971 on 17:16 - Feb 15 by Moor_Pinot

Agree with Gerry Daniel. The same sparkle.
My father wouldn't let me go - refused to drive me from Castle Hedingham to Colchester - frequently did and was one of the reasons I got a car asap!
On the school bus to Braintree on the Monday was a lad who, as a newspaper delivery boy, had copies of all the Sunday papers. My recollection is that the papers were utterly astonished by the winn and the coverage dominated the papers whatever the format. It truly was a giant result and as Durham says never, absolutely never gets the credit it deserved. Leeds were No. 1 in the world at the time, a truly great side with most of their usual XI on show. Indeed, as I re-watch the DVD I am reminded how we, but for Sprake, could have had a 4thh, whilst the quality of Leeds was that tbh they may even have still won the game.
Now, with passing years and the inevitable consequence of divorces I no longer have those cuttings - truly wish I did. But a U's flag proudlly flutters in the Limousin sunshine here on a beautiful 17 degree day......at last.

I would not wish to discredit the results other sides manage FAC year by year but our 3-2 win rocked the football world for weeks and I for one remember basking in it..................there were plenty of Leeds supporters at school, probably more than there were regularly watching the U's, but then, tis the same nowadays!! Reminds me, even saw a Leeds shirt in Aubusson last week Whalers!

Poor result last night - not convinced we can make the top 7 this year, those injuries are piling up and we are leaking goals again far too easily.

Fingers crossed.

We get everywhere Pinault!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Leeds 1971 on 19:54 - Feb 15 with 1501 viewsbwildered

Had been a regular at Layer Rd for a couple of seasons beforehand . A totally naive ten year old, thought that the U's could beat anybody, and on that day the fantasy came true !
Must be the first visiting side that I recognized throughout .
Clearest memories, the Leeds side coming out wearing red socks, Graham Smith's save and everyone whistling for the final whistle ten minutes to go.
Grandads Army had chased and harried for seventy five minutes and were dead on their feet.
Them last ten minutes relived at Wembly and Yeovil in later years .

Would not support anyone else .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024