Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS 20:58 - Apr 21 with 1144 viewsdurham_exile

JM has three games remaining to achieve three maximums and finish on 71 points. Anything less and the U’s will definitely face another season in League Two.

Should that happen, then the events at the Globe Arena, whilst not helping the U’s cause, would not be the primary reason for promotion failure. A wretched away record of just 4 wins, 8 draws and 10 defeats, is where the blame lies fair and square.

This has been a season long away failure, with only the purple patch around 22 November 2016 until 7 January 2017, where we were at times unplayable and obtained 3 of the 4 away victories.

The 10 defeats at Pompey, Carlisle, Doncaster, Plymouth and Exeter might have been expected but Yeovil, Accrington, Grimsby, Crewe and Notts County should not have happened. That is the reason why we are scrambling with up to 7 clubs for that final play-off position and with only 3 games still to play.

Our first ever visit to the Globe Arena ended in a disappointing draw, but for 87 minutes it seemed that the U’s might end their 2017 away win drought.

Colchester lined up:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Loft Murray Fosu

Wright Dickenson

Porter

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Pyke O’Sullivan Kinsella Diaz Wright

Doug Loft made a start because Tom Lapslie was nursing a shoulder injury. The mystery as to where Macca Bonne was became instantly apparent, when he was seen partying with the faithful. JM has made it clear that Bonne’s nonappearance is because Loft is back in contention, but that does not explain the entire season when Bonne has mustered no more than 14 minutes in any one game and normally far less. When the season is finally over an inquest (chaired by the Essex Coroner) must surely be arranged to explain exactly why he is so out of favour with the U’s hierarchy.

The faithful, of which there must have been about 250 were in good voice in a disappointing crowd of 1,447.

The U’s started brightly and could have been 2-0 up within the first five minutes. Presentable chances for Fosu and Brindley were not taken.

However, a free kick secured on the left-hand side of the penalty area won by Fosu, was brilliantly converted by Richard Brindley on 22 minutes. The U’s were deservedly ahead on a bumpy threadbare surface and although Morecambe had a goal correctly ruled out for offside, the home side did not offer very much in the final third.

The meat and potato pie (with gravy) was excellent and ran the pie at Rochdale a close second to all the grounds that I have visited over the past 5 years.

The early warm sunshine was quickly replaced by a sharp shower and reduction in temperature which ended just after half time but by then the game was becoming very scrappy and the fluency shown by the U’s in the first 45 was not matched for the second.

Evans was introduced by Jim Bentley at half time (Bentley looks like a night club bouncer and has the physical appearance to match, he prowled the touchline intimidating all and sundry).

Colchester were in control however and JM made a couple of defensive changes, the tiring Loft was replaced by Wynter as JM went four at the back on 76 minutes. Then O’Sullivan replaced Fosu on 83 minutes.

Evans though looked lively and as the clock ticked around to 87 minutes the U’s won another corner (they mustered 10 during the game). Instead of taking the ball to the corner it was presented to keeper Nizic and he launched it forward, a mix up allowed the ball to fall to Evans and he was on the edge of the area when a clumsy challenge by Wynter allowed him to go down and the referee couldn’t wait to point to the spot.

Worse, ex Col U player Rose (after a stuttering run up, which I dislike intensely) despatched the penalty past Walker.

JM then introduced young Pyke for Wright on 90 minutes. Frankly a waste of time. JM was too defence minded and it cost us the two points. Briggs would have been a better introduction on the left side whilst bringing a second striker on after 90 minutes’ beggars belief.

Realistically, with other results going well for the U’s and with only Blackpool, pulling off a surprise win at the Keep Moat, the extra two points would have put us firmly in the box seat, but as I mentioned earlier the play offs were not gained or lost at the Globe arena, but with those shocking 10 defeats away from the WHCS.

At least the games are coming thick and fast. This weekend the Green Army, fresh from their promotion to League One are in Town. Now earlier in the season we were robbed off at least one point by an unfortunate injury to the Referee coupled with an 11-minute delay and then some gamesmanship, which meant that instead of throwing the ball back to Colchester (we put the ball out of play when the Referee was injured), Plymouth retained possession and a poor back pass from Luke Prosser was half cleared by Walker, only to cannon off the onrushing Plymouth substitute and looped into the empty net.

Plymouth of course are now harbouring ambitions of the Championship after Donny Rovers slip up against the Seasiders. Tomorrow will therefore not be an easy game against a side that has secured 13 away wins. However, the U’s simply have to win and so in front of about 5,000 we can expect an entertaining game.

The U’s could line up as follows:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Wright Brindley Loft Murray Dickenson

Porter Pyke

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Fosu O’Sullivan Kinsella Diaz Wright

Take the game to Plymouth, strike early and the three points will be the U’s.

The table is becoming very competitive as the following shows:

Doncaster 43 85 - Wycombe A, Exeter H, Hartlepool A
Plymouth 43 82 — COL U A, Crewe H, Grimsby A
Pompey 43 78 — Cambridge H, Mansfield A, Cheltenham H

Luton 43 68 — Notts Co H, Accrington A, Morecambe H
Stevenage 43 66 — Mansfield H, Yeovil A, Accrington H
Exeter 43 65 — Morecambe H, Doncaster A, Carlisle H
Blackpool 43 64 — Cheltenham H, Notts Co A, Orient H

Carlisle 43 64 — Crawley A, Newport H, Exeter A
Cambridge 43 63 — Pompey A, Crawley H, Wycombe A
COL U 43 62 — Plymouth H, Orient A, Yeovil H
Accrington 43 62 — Newport A, Luton H, Stevenage A
Mansfield 43 62 — Stevenage A, Pompey H, Crawley A
Wycombe 43 62 — Doncaster H, Morecambe A, Cambridge H

One thing is certain, the Playoff positions will not be concluded until after the 6th May. It is going to be exciting.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 02:51 - Apr 22 with 1109 viewsgerry_us

Good stuff Peter. Three points absolute must. Will just be finishing breakfast when the game ends so hope they don't ruin the rest of the day for us.
I was forgive McGreal anything if we play positive attacking football for the final three games and if we don't succeed nobody will say we didn't give it a go.
If however we continue to bypass the midfield and play one up front then he should not expect to be in position next season. All or nothing and no parking the bus at 1-0 as we have proved many times we are incapable of doing it.
As you say Peter, Up the U's
Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 06:52 - Apr 22 with 1103 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 02:51 - Apr 22 by gerry_us

Good stuff Peter. Three points absolute must. Will just be finishing breakfast when the game ends so hope they don't ruin the rest of the day for us.
I was forgive McGreal anything if we play positive attacking football for the final three games and if we don't succeed nobody will say we didn't give it a go.
If however we continue to bypass the midfield and play one up front then he should not expect to be in position next season. All or nothing and no parking the bus at 1-0 as we have proved many times we are incapable of doing it.
As you say Peter, Up the U's

Totally agree Gerry.

Enjoy your breakfast.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 19:18 - Apr 22 with 1009 viewsgerry_us

I'm overcome with joy
21 shots and we can't even muster ONE goal and Bonne stays on the bench. Has he got the plague or something?
Hopefully someone is going to tell me were desperately unlucky not to win by a hat full. but please don't tell me if we take six points we can still be in the mix. That would just to too hard to take.
I going back to lie down again.
Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 21:32 - Apr 22 with 984 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 19:18 - Apr 22 by gerry_us

I'm overcome with joy
21 shots and we can't even muster ONE goal and Bonne stays on the bench. Has he got the plague or something?
Hopefully someone is going to tell me were desperately unlucky not to win by a hat full. but please don't tell me if we take six points we can still be in the mix. That would just to too hard to take.
I going back to lie down again.

Twenty one shots but I'm not sure any of them were on target. Walker had little to do either . A surprisingly entertaining game for a 0-0 draw but lack of quality in the final ball and finishing cost us in the end.

Can't fault the effort of the players from either side. Plymouth didn't play like it was a dead rubber and kept pushing forward but it was the Us that needed the points today so earlier and more adventurous substitutions were required. I remain unconvinced that 14 minutes from Doug Loft was the best choice JM could have made.

To now secure a playoff berth requires the sort of luck that we simply don't possess.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 23:11 - Apr 22 with 959 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 21:32 - Apr 22 by Leadbelly

Twenty one shots but I'm not sure any of them were on target. Walker had little to do either . A surprisingly entertaining game for a 0-0 draw but lack of quality in the final ball and finishing cost us in the end.

Can't fault the effort of the players from either side. Plymouth didn't play like it was a dead rubber and kept pushing forward but it was the Us that needed the points today so earlier and more adventurous substitutions were required. I remain unconvinced that 14 minutes from Doug Loft was the best choice JM could have made.

To now secure a playoff berth requires the sort of luck that we simply don't possess.

Just six points and a hat full of goals. Regrettably it ain't happening.
Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 01:12 - Apr 23 with 942 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 23:11 - Apr 22 by gerry_us

Just six points and a hat full of goals. Regrettably it ain't happening.

Gerry, arrived home just before midnight after stopping for evening meal in Braintree.

Will pen something later today (Sunday). Sadly the play off dream is over. But blame the 10 away defeats earlier in the season rather than Monday at Morecambe or today against Plymouth.

Tom Lapslie and big George were outstanding today.

Macca Bonne wouldn't have got on if we had played all night. There is something seriously wrong there. Suspect he will move on during the summer.

JM simply refuses to play him and we badly miss Slater and Guthrie (sounds like a firm of solicitors).

Pitch was the best that I have seen it since the ground opened in 2008. Good atmosphere, just missing a goal.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 09:31 - Apr 23 with 907 viewsMoor_Pinot

Very sorry for you Peter - you could not even get to see a win at home.

It will be pure luck, as Whalers posts, if we qualify for this season's play-offs. We have simply not prepared for the eventuality or its possibility. As you say the away form says most of it but we have novice management, paralysed from doing something, anything remotely creative - from my own observations. Given our situation in the last 3 games you'd have thought some element of s**t or bust would have been deployed. A lot of the crowd would have appreciated the intention even had it failed.

Still, as Noah says we are probably at a sustainable level and clearly, whether our actual individual players are good enough for League 1 as is suggested quite often, the way they are utilised suggests that the whole is not.
Like Noah, I have enjoyed not being in a relegation fight [well.....since December] for the first time in a long while but I am not necessarily convinced that the set-up has turned any corners. What do I know.

What I do fear is that you'll not even have your 'local' game next season Durham, what with Hartlepool's plight whilst I am sad at Braintree's demise; an event which only goes to highlight the irony of managerial skill when considering the predictable promotion of Lincoln City. As I said last summer as Cowley was appointed, "watch them fly next season". They have and they will again - or I'm a frenchman!! I shan't be voting today, don't worry; need to prune me vines and contemplate whether we an avoid defeat at poor old Orient.

Up the U's and better fortunes for you next season Peter..

Moor Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 13:11 - Apr 23 with 878 viewsbwildered

Spot on Leadbelly. Subs never worked, desperately missed a slice of quality to finish the good work off. Overall a good display and fair result .
Never beat any of the already promoted top three home or away and a dismal away record has left us playing catch up football throughout the season .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 22:52 - Apr 23 with 826 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 13:11 - Apr 23 by bwildered

Spot on Leadbelly. Subs never worked, desperately missed a slice of quality to finish the good work off. Overall a good display and fair result .
Never beat any of the already promoted top three home or away and a dismal away record has left us playing catch up football throughout the season .

All this grumbling!
You should try being out on this God forsaken island Grenada stuck in the middle of the Caribbean. I'm stuck on this sunbed; I've got sand in crevices I didn't even know I had; my drink bottle is empty; the sand is too hot to get the the bar and I'm being forced to eat three meals a day...after drinks. And you lot think you are having it bad!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 2:45]
Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 01:03 - Apr 25 with 758 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 22:52 - Apr 23 by gerry_us

All this grumbling!
You should try being out on this God forsaken island Grenada stuck in the middle of the Caribbean. I'm stuck on this sunbed; I've got sand in crevices I didn't even know I had; my drink bottle is empty; the sand is too hot to get the the bar and I'm being forced to eat three meals a day...after drinks. And you lot think you are having it bad!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 2:45]

Gerry, I share your pain sir - hang in there!

Anyway, despite the actual result that was one of the more entertaining goalless draws I've paid good money to witness. It's not just we played well, but we played well against a very good side who were more than willing to play their part as the pantomime villain and win the game themselves - Argyle weren't holding back, they wanted the 3pts just as much as we did.

Heyho, a win on Saturday (if the match survives the demonstration) and we could be firmly back in the playoffs - let's see!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 02:43 - Apr 25 with 756 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 01:03 - Apr 25 by wessex_exile

Gerry, I share your pain sir - hang in there!

Anyway, despite the actual result that was one of the more entertaining goalless draws I've paid good money to witness. It's not just we played well, but we played well against a very good side who were more than willing to play their part as the pantomime villain and win the game themselves - Argyle weren't holding back, they wanted the 3pts just as much as we did.

Heyho, a win on Saturday (if the match survives the demonstration) and we could be firmly back in the playoffs - let's see!

Demonstration???
Are both U's fans taking part?
Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 19:21 - Apr 25 with 707 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to overcome the Green Army at Fortress WHCS on 02:43 - Apr 25 by gerry_us

Demonstration???
Are both U's fans taking part?

Orient fans have a lot planned for Saturday. If the game is played without interruption i will be astounded.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024