Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Porter leaves and signs for Crewe 17:32 - May 31 with 2190 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Is anyone else a bit disappointed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40045042

http://www.cu-fc.com/news/article/2016-17/chris-porter-crewe-alexandra-3727579.a

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 17:43 - May 31 with 2182 viewsLeadbelly

I am.

Those who believe averaging a goal every third game while playing as a lone striker is a poor return will, no doubt, be delighted.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 17:47 - May 31 with 2177 viewsFruitbat

My understanding is he was prepared to stay for a two year contract. At 33 you can't blame him for that.
Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 18:02 - May 31 with 2170 viewsbwildered

Can Guthrie and Bonn score enough goals to fire up a promotion campaign or do we require another experience front man .
David Mooney, Leon Best available anyone ? Gavin Massey leaving on a free ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 18:21 - May 31 with 2154 viewsFruitbat

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 18:02 - May 31 by bwildered

Can Guthrie and Bonn score enough goals to fire up a promotion campaign or do we require another experience front man .
David Mooney, Leon Best available anyone ? Gavin Massey leaving on a free ?

Porter will need replacing. A fit Guthrie will score his share but I'm not convinced Bonne is good enough.
Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 18:22 - May 31 with 2153 viewsburnsieespana

Well the Porter haters will be happy but I am sorry to see him go although don't blame us for only offering, I assume a one year deal.
Hopefully we have other irons in the fire.
Hope this does not start a number of players such as Elokobi and Eastman leaving.
Just as we seem headed in the right direction something comes along to foul it up.
Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 20:49 - May 31 with 2096 viewsbwildered

A decent record of 91 games - 31 goals stands up in comparison with our modern day strikers Iwellumo 92-35, Gillespie 98-35, Lisbie 83-30 and Platt 125-25 , considering the first year and half was in a relegation threatened side .
Probally are highest earner now off the payroll , best wishes for his future career .

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 23:16 - May 31 with 2065 viewsnoah4x4

Let's not forget that for much of our renaissance it was Guthrie and Denny Johnstone leading the line. Porter only really entered the fray after their injuries, and our failure to win away for three months coincided with his failure to net except at home.

He must be replaced, I wish him well, but I suspect we didn't want to offer a two year contract given his age and his flagging pace. Did a good job, but not one for the future.

Despite Mansfield and Newport etc going crazy with new signings, I think Tony Humes patient waiting game will pay off once again. There are always plenty of ex-premier and championship players without a contract that probably won't sign today but will be desperate by the deadline. Others in Division Two will have filled up their financial fair play budget quotas. We simply need to have some budget left to pick up some real bargains (as we did last Summer). We have a surprisingly large squad which was fortunate given the mammoth number of injuries. We can't be that unlucky again?
Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 00:16 - Jun 1 with 2050 viewsdurham_exile

Good luck to Chris Porter. Excellent goalscoring record whilst at Colchester.

Unfortunately he also failed to convert many chances particularly against Plymouth at home where he could have bagged four goals that day.

Still at 33, a move further North obviously suits and Crewe offered a two year deal.

Best of luck except against the U's next season.

Up the U's

Can we now sign Billy Kee from Accrington Stanley, perfect partner for Kurtis Guthrie.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 11:22 - Jun 1 with 2006 viewsburnsieespana

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 00:16 - Jun 1 by durham_exile

Good luck to Chris Porter. Excellent goalscoring record whilst at Colchester.

Unfortunately he also failed to convert many chances particularly against Plymouth at home where he could have bagged four goals that day.

Still at 33, a move further North obviously suits and Crewe offered a two year deal.

Best of luck except against the U's next season.

Up the U's

Can we now sign Billy Kee from Accrington Stanley, perfect partner for Kurtis Guthrie.

Durham I have unfortunately never seen the guy play so can you give us an idea why you think as you do?
Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 17:04 - Jun 1 with 1962 viewsburnsieespana

I see Steve Ball in today's Gazette says Chris Porter had six offers.
Hope this doesn't mean people such as Brindley, Elokobi and Eastman are in a similar position because otherwise could loose a chunk of the preferred x1.
Billy Kee on 14:04 - Jun 2 with 1883 viewsdurham_exile

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 11:22 - Jun 1 by burnsieespana

Durham I have unfortunately never seen the guy play so can you give us an idea why you think as you do?

burnsie - I believe that Billy Kee would make a good strike partner for Kurtis Guthrie next season.

At 26 years of age and 5ft 9ins tall, he has made 84 appearances for Accrington Stanley scoring 30 goals. Last season he scored 13 goals in 35 appearances.

Last season he played very well against the U's at the Wham Stadium, scoring a sharp goal where he took the ball down, turned and despatched the ball past Walker.

I think that he is well suited to League Two football and would be a good asset to the team.

Last season Denny Johnstone worked really hard for his relatively poor goal return, whilst Guthrie would have definitely topped the scoring charts with more than 20 were it not for his injury.

A smaller and very mobile strike partner in Kee would add to our striking qualities.

JM also needs a winger but I would like to see Dion Sembie-Ferris given a run in the first team.

Up the U's
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 14:18]

Durham_exile

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 21:10 - Jun 2 with 1832 viewswessex_exile

In answer to the original post, massively disappointed. I can see why we'd only offer him a one year deal, and if there's a positive to take from that one can only assume we're setting our sights firmly on promotion, and frankly at 34 would he much more than a bench-warmer for the rest of his contract in a far more competitive League 1, if we achieve promotion with his goals next season? That being said, I despair of those who have barracked him throughout a campaign in which he's scored 16 and had 8 assists, for plenty of which he played on his own up front trying to feed of the scraps we launched at his head repeatedly.

Obviously he'll need replacing, particularly if Guthrie isn't fit right from the start.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Porter leaves and signs for Crewe on 17:26 - Jun 8 with 1682 viewsbwildered

Quite a common ploy to move players on, only giving year deals . Parky did it to good effect in turning round his squad .
Sure Porter will get a good reception when he revisits during the oncoming season .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024