Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wonder.... 20:17 - Mar 3 with 8666 viewsandrew

If all the idiots who said they would rather be in the championship then the Premier league after being relegated still think the same now? I’m more bored now than I’ve ever been! I’ve missed 3 home games in the last 2 seasons whereas I missed 2 since 2001 before that.

Players, football, atmosphere, crowd, opposition fans.... absolute dog shite.

I would much rather finish 13/17th in the prem every year than finish mid table in the championship every year.

The only positive for me since being in the championship is a few better away days.

Poll: Can’t see the new guy coming in to sit on the bench so, who’s off?

I wonder.... on 22:28 - Mar 3 with 1699 viewsmarchamjack

Never more true about the graveyard of ambition, those who say they prefer the Championship to the PL 🤦‍♂️

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

I wonder.... on 22:34 - Mar 3 with 1691 viewsdunvantjack100

I wonder.... on 22:21 - Mar 3 by Garyjack

So why do you hope we can get promoted then?

Never said I did. We won 8 games out of 38 in the season we got relegated, we’ve won 13 in 36 in the championship.

To some people that’s more enjoyable.

I don’t want to get promoted until I feel we have a team capable of competing, or we have owners that will invest into the squad and ensure we don’t have to watch dire football again in the prem.
I wonder.... on 22:35 - Mar 3 with 1685 viewsGaryjack

I wonder.... on 22:28 - Mar 3 by marchamjack

Never more true about the graveyard of ambition, those who say they prefer the Championship to the PL 🤦‍♂️

It's bizarre! They prefer us to be challenging for promotion to the Prem, than actually being in the Prem!
I wonder.... on 22:40 - Mar 3 with 1664 viewsGaryjack

I wonder.... on 22:34 - Mar 3 by dunvantjack100

Never said I did. We won 8 games out of 38 in the season we got relegated, we’ve won 13 in 36 in the championship.

To some people that’s more enjoyable.

I don’t want to get promoted until I feel we have a team capable of competing, or we have owners that will invest into the squad and ensure we don’t have to watch dire football again in the prem.

You're watching dire football now, but prefer it to us competing in the best league in the world! Fvck my eyes!
I wonder.... on 00:59 - Mar 4 with 1579 viewsdunvantjack100

I wonder.... on 22:40 - Mar 3 by Garyjack

You're watching dire football now, but prefer it to us competing in the best league in the world! Fvck my eyes!

You’re missing the point. If we went up we wouldn’t be ‘competing’ in that league, it’s far too good for our team.
I wonder.... on 07:45 - Mar 4 with 1494 viewsDr_Winston

It's far too good for our manager, or at least our manager as he's putting the team together now. Someone like Rodgers would be getting a much better tune out of the squad Cooper's got to work with, and would do so should we go up.

And we would spend a bit if we went up. Probably more akin to summer/winter 2011 spending than summer/winter 2017, but that's no bad thing.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

I wonder.... on 08:05 - Mar 4 with 1483 viewsjojaca

I wonder.... on 07:45 - Mar 4 by Dr_Winston

It's far too good for our manager, or at least our manager as he's putting the team together now. Someone like Rodgers would be getting a much better tune out of the squad Cooper's got to work with, and would do so should we go up.

And we would spend a bit if we went up. Probably more akin to summer/winter 2011 spending than summer/winter 2017, but that's no bad thing.

Obviously we would prefer Premier League, if we are not there we have to at least make match days entertaining and Cooper it's been like watching paint dry. Last year under Potter at least we were good on the eye despite similar league positions.

Also the match day experience is stale for me, with same music, Kev John's and penalty shoot outs at half time etc. I would like to see them try other stuff.

Even when you know, you never know?

I wonder.... on 09:08 - Mar 4 with 1442 viewssainthelens

I wonder.... on 08:05 - Mar 4 by jojaca

Obviously we would prefer Premier League, if we are not there we have to at least make match days entertaining and Cooper it's been like watching paint dry. Last year under Potter at least we were good on the eye despite similar league positions.

Also the match day experience is stale for me, with same music, Kev John's and penalty shoot outs at half time etc. I would like to see them try other stuff.

Half time entertainment will never change. Anything remotely worth watching will stop sales on the concourse.
Login to get fewer ads

I wonder.... on 09:28 - Mar 4 with 1417 viewsswan65split

Ask the , what was it 60 odd ? who lost their jobs what division they'd like to see us in.
I wonder.... on 09:28 - Mar 4 with 1417 viewsCatullus

Does it matter what division you are in if you are being served up such rubbish that you don't want to go?
Of course some fans will turn up every week regardless of division or quality and I doff my cap to them. I was one of them for 30 years and seen worse than is on offer now. However, what is on offer now is a direct result of relegation and the financial disaster caused by trying to stay up.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

I wonder.... on 09:52 - Mar 4 with 1394 viewsTimTtam

I wonder.... on 20:29 - Mar 3 by dunvantjack100

I don’t think many would prefer now to what we had when we were finishing top 10 in the premier league. However, compared to what we had to put up with the last couple of seasons before we went down, I’d rather be in a promotion push than a relegation battle.

On top of that, away trips / atmosphere is much better in the championship.

The problem is that it's more likely we will go down to League 1 than up to the EPL. And if we do go down, will we make it back to the Championship quickly, or will we become a mid-table team in a promotion crapshoot?

I'd take 17th place in the PL every year over being a mid-table Championship team. Simply because I worry of relegation to League 1, and that can't happen if we're in the PL.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

I wonder.... on 10:37 - Mar 4 with 1364 viewsCatullus

I wonder.... on 09:52 - Mar 4 by TimTtam

The problem is that it's more likely we will go down to League 1 than up to the EPL. And if we do go down, will we make it back to the Championship quickly, or will we become a mid-table team in a promotion crapshoot?

I'd take 17th place in the PL every year over being a mid-table Championship team. Simply because I worry of relegation to League 1, and that can't happen if we're in the PL.

Of the clubs that go from EPL to league one, many do so because of financial problems which have lead to punishment including points deductions.
There is too much money in the EPL and it causes clubs like ours huge problems. Depite the parachute payments and all the sales, the apparent massive profit on transfers we are still in a mess financially. It's that mess that increases the chances of another relegation.
When you are not competing the fun goes but to compete in the EPL means paying wages well above what we can afford, when it all goes wrong, as it did, you get relegated and stuck with a wage bill that pushes you toward financial ruin and players who cost you X amount who are now only worth 30-50% of what you paid. EPL clubs circle like vultures waiting to pick off your best players and you get left with the ones you don't want who are still on silly money.
It is a recipe for disaster.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

I wonder.... on 10:58 - Mar 4 with 1354 viewsJacket

Nice conciliatory tone to the OP fair play.
I wonder.... on 13:58 - Mar 4 with 1242 viewsTimTtam

I wonder.... on 10:37 - Mar 4 by Catullus

Of the clubs that go from EPL to league one, many do so because of financial problems which have lead to punishment including points deductions.
There is too much money in the EPL and it causes clubs like ours huge problems. Depite the parachute payments and all the sales, the apparent massive profit on transfers we are still in a mess financially. It's that mess that increases the chances of another relegation.
When you are not competing the fun goes but to compete in the EPL means paying wages well above what we can afford, when it all goes wrong, as it did, you get relegated and stuck with a wage bill that pushes you toward financial ruin and players who cost you X amount who are now only worth 30-50% of what you paid. EPL clubs circle like vultures waiting to pick off your best players and you get left with the ones you don't want who are still on silly money.

Yeah, wages are just too high. Many teams pay wages that are higher than their total income. Bonkers.

Burnley have bucked that trend for years. They don't spend beyond their means, they stick with a manager even when he's under pressure, and they somehow manage to stay up every year (and usually comfortably). They made profits in 2017 and 2018 of 22.2M and 36.6M respectively.

Some recent teams to be promoted have tried spending less. Huddersfield, Cardiff, & Norwich are some examples. Even though by the end of this season none will be in the PL anymore, this is the way that clubs need to approach the PL. There needs to be funds available if relegation happens.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

I wonder.... on 13:59 - Mar 4 with 1241 viewsJinxy

For me, it's all about performance, effort, commitment and quality of entertainment (i.e. good football), whatever league that happens to be in. I enjoyed last season far more than the last 2/3 years in the PL for example. Not so much this season to be honest.

A fan of a mid-table PL team will probably watch his/her team lose or draw more than win. It's a personal choice, but I'm in no particular rush to return to that money obsessed commercial madhouse (though I understand there's a strong element of that throughout professional sport regardless of the level)! And I said as much to Potter for what it's worth. I do understand the natural human desire for continuous improvement though. Think Icarus - be warned! It's a balance isn't it.
I wonder.... on 16:04 - Mar 4 with 1171 viewsthornabyswan

I wonder.... on 22:40 - Mar 3 by Garyjack

Of course the PL is better but we have only spent 9 seasons of our entire history in the top flight..

I have been going since 1975

9 seasons in the top league.
This is our 8th in the 2nd tier.

The other 28 have been in the bottom 2 leagues.

So these are good times at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:13]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

I wonder.... on 16:18 - Mar 4 with 1160 viewsmonmouth

A forgotten highlight of the PL was beating Evo under Clement after hull had unexpectedly lost to Sunderland. We looked done before those games and suddenly we’re looking at safety. The atmosphere was awesome that night.

Same situation basically against Soton one year later and the atmosphere was shite as we rolled over on and off the field. Never understood that.

So yeah, even though I whined about the pointlessness of playing for survival from game 1, prem for me please.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

I wonder.... on 16:44 - Mar 4 with 1129 viewsGaryjack

I wonder.... on 16:04 - Mar 4 by thornabyswan

Of course the PL is better but we have only spent 9 seasons of our entire history in the top flight..

I have been going since 1975

9 seasons in the top league.
This is our 8th in the 2nd tier.

The other 28 have been in the bottom 2 leagues.

So these are good times at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:13]

Totally agree, i've been going since 1970. But that wasn't the question being raised. Basically people are saying that they enjoy the Championship more than the Prem. Every season, every win even every point sometimes was special in the Premier league because we knew deep down we were punching above our weight and sometimes we'd punch pretty hard!
How can anyone possibly enjoy what we have now, to what we had then? It truly baffles me!
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:45]
I wonder.... on 16:54 - Mar 4 with 1110 viewsthornabyswan

I wonder.... on 16:44 - Mar 4 by Garyjack

Totally agree, i've been going since 1970. But that wasn't the question being raised. Basically people are saying that they enjoy the Championship more than the Prem. Every season, every win even every point sometimes was special in the Premier league because we knew deep down we were punching above our weight and sometimes we'd punch pretty hard!
How can anyone possibly enjoy what we have now, to what we had then? It truly baffles me!
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:45]

Fair enough they are just kidding themselves though.
You will always get people coming out with crap like that when its gone.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

I wonder.... on 17:11 - Mar 4 with 1086 viewsJinxy

The OP was about the our time in the PL, not the good years only. In the end, although relegation was heartbreaking and infuriating, we needed putting out of our misery. I would rather regenerate whilst playing good football in the championship (there were signs last season imo) vs struggling in the PL. Obviously, it's not a straightforward comparison. Would I like to return to those first 4 PL years? Of course.
I wonder.... on 17:19 - Mar 4 with 1080 viewsJinxy

One more thing - it's all about reality versus dreams. We dreamt during our last time in the Championship, but we were all living that dream, delighted and proud to be there. I was anyway. The cruelty was loving then losing. If uncle trev bought one of those men in black zappers and we were all flashed in the stadium (ooo matron) then we'd all be loving this. The sad truth is we need to move on.
I wonder.... on 17:24 - Mar 4 with 1077 viewsswan65split

I wonder.... on 10:37 - Mar 4 by Catullus

Our financial problems seem to have come in the last 2-3 years in the Prem....I wonder who was responsible for that?
I wonder.... on 17:46 - Mar 4 with 1040 viewsTNT

In my time since the '70s, I see the whole period as the rise and demise, and the rise and demise of Swansea City. The rise both times were awesome. The demise the first time was worse than this one, so although it ain't great atm, it could be a lot worse.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

I wonder.... on 17:57 - Mar 4 with 1025 viewspencoedjack

Sums my feelings up nicely
I wonder.... on 18:26 - Mar 4 with 989 viewsperplex

Good post, another baffling thing to me about many of our fans mindsets is when they come out with lets have patience it`s a young team and we are rebuilding, but how can you rebuild with a squad full of players on loan who will be gone soon, along with any of our own players who will be sold just as soon as an half decent offer is made for them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024