Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Manager 17:58 - Feb 21 with 15306 viewsburnsieespana

Thoughts?
Lots of decent guys about
How about:
Harrop from Braintree
Cowley Bros.
Nathan Jones
Kevin Maher @ SUFC
Next Manager on 11:08 - Feb 26 with 2789 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 10:43 - Feb 26 by durham_exile

Wessex I see that Oxford have sacked Karl Robinson today.

Perhaps Cowley will go there.

I accept what you say but feel we are in danger of making the wrong appointment.
The last two defeats have really hurt us and Saturday a difficult game at Bradford.

I suppose part of me is annoyed that MB has walked away.

After the recent improvement in our form there was so much anticipation that at last we had found the new Parky.

14 managers in 14 years tells its own sorry tale.

Let us hope that the recruitment process results in the right person in charge.

At present I am not convinced.

Up the U's

I think my main reservation about Ben Garner, and it may sound perverse, is he is clearly ambitious, and has shown a tendency to move on and up as soon as a new opportunity comes along. But I guess that's forever going to be the risk for a lower League 2 side, always ripe for poaching unfortunately.

What's that you say, Karl Robinson is now available? Hmmm...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Next Manager on 14:29 - Feb 26 with 2730 viewsburnsieespana

Next Manager on 11:08 - Feb 26 by wessex_exile

I think my main reservation about Ben Garner, and it may sound perverse, is he is clearly ambitious, and has shown a tendency to move on and up as soon as a new opportunity comes along. But I guess that's forever going to be the risk for a lower League 2 side, always ripe for poaching unfortunately.

What's that you say, Karl Robinson is now available? Hmmm...

Wessex that is the problem of a club like ours and has always been the case with Parky a good example. Gets us to the promised land but walks away
Karl Robinson a d cent shout as has he not managed at lower levels plus done a decent job at Oxford.
How Ainsworth remained at Wycombe the time he did is some sort of miracle in itself!
Don't know much about Garner but was he out of work in September when we originally looked for Brown's replacement as seems the club could well be going back to the same list to appoint from
We do need somebody in place quickly as could easily slide down towards Hartlepool and Crawley although feel Rochdale are done for.
Next Manager on 16:16 - Feb 26 with 2707 viewsbwildered

Ben Garner took over from McG at Swindon in pre season, with only seven players and the club under a transfer embargo. By the end of the season they had reached play off s, though unsuccessful. That caught the attention of Charlton who then took him on.
At the end game, it is who is interested, got the ambition, and who we can afford which will determine RC’s appointment.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Next Manager on 08:32 - Feb 27 with 2616 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 00:24 - Feb 26 by durham_exile

The more I read about the managerial situation the more annoyed I become.

What is the point of investing in the team and assembling a decent squad to then waste this opportunity on a failed manager like Garner.

I sincerely hope that this is purely newspaper talk.

If we are to take the team forward then we must have a manager capable of ensuring that this is achieved.

Danny Cowley must be offered that opportunity.

Make it happen.

Up the U's

Why such an issue with Ben Garner? Back in September I would've taken him over Bloomfield and not sure I feel any differently about that now. Granted he didn't do a great job at Bristol Rovers or at Charlton, you could argue he wasn't given enough time at either, but he did do a very good job for Swindon. I think we could do a lot worse personally. When you're towards the bottom of League Two your choices are likely to be a young inexperienced coach from further up the league, a manager from a successful National League side or a manager who has "failed" in his most recent role. Most would say that Wellens did a terrible job at Doncaster but has worked wonders at Orient. You'll struggle to find an experienced manager, especially at this level, who doesn't have a a job or two that hasn't been a success.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Next Manager on 11:34 - Feb 27 with 2589 viewsmfb_cufc

All betting on next Colchester manager has been suspended. It suggests the new Head Coach has been decided. Very likely it is Ben Garner, but after last time, when the very loyal Bloomfield got the job, who knows. Could there be an anouncement later today?

mfb

Next Manager on 21:35 - Feb 28 with 2428 viewsdurham_exile

Next Manager on 11:34 - Feb 27 by mfb_cufc

All betting on next Colchester manager has been suspended. It suggests the new Head Coach has been decided. Very likely it is Ben Garner, but after last time, when the very loyal Bloomfield got the job, who knows. Could there be an anouncement later today?

I am underwhelmed by Ben Garner's anticipated appointment.

Hopefully will be proved wrong but I just can't see it.

Back to square one.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Next Manager on 23:37 - Feb 28 with 2410 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 21:35 - Feb 28 by durham_exile

I am underwhelmed by Ben Garner's anticipated appointment.

Hopefully will be proved wrong but I just can't see it.

Back to square one.

Up the U's

…and hopefully, if it is to be Ben Garner, he doesn’t read your vote of no confidence before he’s even started. I’d like to think we’ll give who ever is our new manager at least a chance to prove himself before dismissing him?

Up the U's

Next Manager on 07:45 - Mar 1 with 2380 viewsdurham_exile

Next Manager on 23:37 - Feb 28 by wessex_exile

…and hopefully, if it is to be Ben Garner, he doesn’t read your vote of no confidence before he’s even started. I’d like to think we’ll give who ever is our new manager at least a chance to prove himself before dismissing him?

Wessex I don't think that Ben Garner is going to be remotely bothered about my assessment of his credentials.

My concern is that his record is hardly impressive and after making an excellent appointment when MB was brought to the club we risk undoing this good work.

I suppose I am weary of all this speculation. Let's make whatever decision needs to be made but I do have severe reservations about BG.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Next Manager on 09:49 - Mar 1 with 2358 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 07:45 - Mar 1 by durham_exile

Wessex I don't think that Ben Garner is going to be remotely bothered about my assessment of his credentials.

My concern is that his record is hardly impressive and after making an excellent appointment when MB was brought to the club we risk undoing this good work.

I suppose I am weary of all this speculation. Let's make whatever decision needs to be made but I do have severe reservations about BG.

Up the U's

I don't understand why you think Bloomfield was an excellent appointment and Garner will be a terrible one. Garner has management experience at both League One and League Two level, something Bloomfield didn't have, and Garner and by all accounts he did a very good job at Swindon. When was the last time we appointed a manager who had done well elsewhere? Boothroyd? Ward perhaps?

All this talk and it will probably end up being Embleton!

Next Manager on 10:09 - Mar 1 with 2354 viewsdurham_exile

Next Manager on 09:49 - Mar 1 by RSCOSWORTH

I don't understand why you think Bloomfield was an excellent appointment and Garner will be a terrible one. Garner has management experience at both League One and League Two level, something Bloomfield didn't have, and Garner and by all accounts he did a very good job at Swindon. When was the last time we appointed a manager who had done well elsewhere? Boothroyd? Ward perhaps?

All this talk and it will probably end up being Embleton!

RS when MB arrived initially there were reservations from some of the faithful.

I bought into MB from the outset and what he did which was particularly good was to improve the results and then to use RC's cash injection with some very astute signings.

From day one of the new players he melded 5 of them into the team. Not a mean feat.

The signs were that next season the squad would kick on and challenge at the right end of the table.

That is all irrelevant now and I wish him well even if I can't extend those good wishes to Wyscum.

The speculation this time was that DC was the favourite clearly he has turned us down which is a shame because he has been successful at this level and above.

We do not know how many candidates have been considered but BG has now emerged as the favourite

I just feel that his record is not inspirational but sadly perhaps our lowly league position and record of a manager a year for the last 14 years denotes just how we are now considered by would be suitors.

It seems that once again we have to settle for second best.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Next Manager on 11:13 - Mar 1 with 2341 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 10:09 - Mar 1 by durham_exile

RS when MB arrived initially there were reservations from some of the faithful.

I bought into MB from the outset and what he did which was particularly good was to improve the results and then to use RC's cash injection with some very astute signings.

From day one of the new players he melded 5 of them into the team. Not a mean feat.

The signs were that next season the squad would kick on and challenge at the right end of the table.

That is all irrelevant now and I wish him well even if I can't extend those good wishes to Wyscum.

The speculation this time was that DC was the favourite clearly he has turned us down which is a shame because he has been successful at this level and above.

We do not know how many candidates have been considered but BG has now emerged as the favourite

I just feel that his record is not inspirational but sadly perhaps our lowly league position and record of a manager a year for the last 14 years denotes just how we are now considered by would be suitors.

It seems that once again we have to settle for second best.

Up the U's

10 defeats in 23 league games.

Only managed to beat Harrogate (twice), Rochdale, Gillingham, Hartlepool, Grimsby, Swindon and Doncaster. Only two of those aren't in the bottom nine.

Not sure we've lost the next Guardiola!

Who would be your choice? Given that Cowley seems to be non-starter now.

Next Manager on 11:33 - Mar 1 with 2332 viewsdurham_exile

Next Manager on 11:13 - Mar 1 by RSCOSWORTH

Only managed to beat Harrogate (twice), Rochdale, Gillingham, Hartlepool, Grimsby, Swindon and Doncaster. Only two of those aren't in the bottom nine.

Lee Bowyer has the experience to do a job for the U's.

Karl Robinson equally could bring valuable experience.

Whatever happens we need a decision this week.

The team needs some cohesion and direction and quickly.

Durham_exile

Next Manager on 17:58 - Mar 1 with 2253 viewsnoah4x4

Next Manager on 11:13 - Mar 1 by RSCOSWORTH

Exactly my sentiment. A little over 60 days ago we were complaining that Bloomfield was "too inexperienced, was out of his depth, blah blah, blah", then to be fair, he suddenly looks like our saviour, that is until we run into Carlisle and Northampton, both pushing promotion, hard to break down their defence, but hardly impressive. Bradford will be another huge test.

Our problem is we don't know how to score against any half decent defence, but fortunately, we are good enough to overcome the bottom three. Sadly, almost all of our remaining fixtures are now against higher placed clubs.

The more I think about this, the more I conclude that Skuse and Chambers might be our best shout. A Garner or Robinson (or other Lambert/Boothroyd type) might win a handful of games and then vanish to the highest bidder.

I can see Robbie Cowling's past logic of promoting from within, but he has made the wrong appointments from a pool of unproven non-achievers. By contrast, Skuse and Chambers are highly respected dressing room characters. Skuse has external coaching interests at an Ipswich school, probably has all the badges., and I don't see either being poached by Ipswich Town until they have genuinely proven themselves, by which time we will hopefully be in League One.

As regards Garner, maybe the best of the rest, as I reckon Robinson or the Cowley brothers are unlikely to come here, but maybe some might be inspired by Bradford's Mark Hughes who recently praised the merits of managing in League Two.
Next Manager on 18:08 - Mar 1 with 2248 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 17:58 - Mar 1 by noah4x4

Exactly my sentiment. A little over 60 days ago we were complaining that Bloomfield was "too inexperienced, was out of his depth, blah blah, blah", then to be fair, he suddenly looks like our saviour, that is until we run into Carlisle and Northampton, both pushing promotion, hard to break down their defence, but hardly impressive. Bradford will be another huge test.

Our problem is we don't know how to score against any half decent defence, but fortunately, we are good enough to overcome the bottom three. Sadly, almost all of our remaining fixtures are now against higher placed clubs.

The more I think about this, the more I conclude that Skuse and Chambers might be our best shout. A Garner or Robinson (or other Lambert/Boothroyd type) might win a handful of games and then vanish to the highest bidder.

I can see Robbie Cowling's past logic of promoting from within, but he has made the wrong appointments from a pool of unproven non-achievers. By contrast, Skuse and Chambers are highly respected dressing room characters. Skuse has external coaching interests at an Ipswich school, probably has all the badges., and I don't see either being poached by Ipswich Town until they have genuinely proven themselves, by which time we will hopefully be in League One.

As regards Garner, maybe the best of the rest, as I reckon Robinson or the Cowley brothers are unlikely to come here, but maybe some might be inspired by Bradford's Mark Hughes who recently praised the merits of managing in League Two.

You've seen a lot more football in this divison than I have but no one seems all that impressive to me. Leyton Orient look like they're going to win the league at a canter by being disciplined, working hard and being difficult to beat/score against. As I always say, confidence and momentum is massive in sport and they carried on their strong finish to last season into this one and have just kept going. Has any one team stood out for you? Last season I thought Sutton looking good going forward and Exeter passed us off the pitch.

Next Manager on 20:59 - Mar 1 with 2193 viewswessex_exile

New manager to be announced ahead of Saturday's game apparently.

Up the U's

Next Manager on 10:21 - Mar 2 with 2139 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 20:59 - Mar 1 by wessex_exile

New manager to be announced ahead of Saturday's game apparently.

And it's Ben Garner.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2023/march/new-head-coach/

Next Manager on 17:10 - Mar 5 with 2029 viewsmfb_cufc

Just been reading a piece on the BBC site about the abuse of Karl Robison's family while he was manager of Oxford.

In the arcticle he said "Offers of a return to management have already come, but the former MK Dons and Charlton boss is planning to take a sabbatical away from football and come back "a better person".

"I had a phone call the next day (after his sacking) for something, and had a conversation with one or two people, but I just didn't feel it was right," he added.

Made me think there is a strong chance that "something" could have been us. If so, was he our first choice?

mfb

Next Manager on 14:52 - Mar 9 with 1818 viewsburnsieespana

Am looking forward to the Garner era and wonder if we might see the re-emergence of Freddie Sears a proven goalscorer who might relish his likely style of play.
Next Manager on 15:05 - Mar 9 with 1806 viewsgerry_us

Cant help thinking that we should now take down the "Next Manager" thread from the board.
We shouldn't need it again..... for a few weeks at least!
Next Manager on 15:50 - Mar 9 with 1794 viewsRSCOSWORTH

For those that haven't heard it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64893083

Next Manager on 15:54 - Mar 9 with 1792 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 14:52 - Mar 9 by burnsieespana

Am looking forward to the Garner era and wonder if we might see the re-emergence of Freddie Sears a proven goalscorer who might relish his likely style of play.

I too am feeling very optimistic about the appointment of Garner. He did a very good job at Swindon and actually did an ok job at Charlton given the situation. Just feels different to appoint a manager who has experience and has already had success. I think his style of play will be very different to Bloomfield's, whether we have the right personnel for that style of play remains to be seen. I'd be surprised to see Sears or Nouble play for us again but you would think they should be given the opportunity to prove themselves. It does feel like the last season or so that we weren't playing to their strengths' and Sears still had a decent goal return last season.

Next Manager on 18:35 - Mar 9 with 1761 viewswessex_exile

Next Manager on 15:50 - Mar 9 by RSCOSWORTH

For those that haven't heard it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64893083

Very good interview, lots of positives to take out of that. Others may disagree, but I'm really beginning to believe in Ben Garner we've actually upgraded from Matt Bloomfield. I'm certain he'll give players like Sears, Nouble and Eastman their chance to prove themselves. Obviously Tom's chance will be whilst on loan, but at least he's playing League 2 football week in week out, and the club will have access to the match reels to scrutinise. If we're no worse off by April, I can see Freddie and Frank getting an appearance or two.

Anyone else getting impatient now, want to get this season done and start on next season asap?
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 18:36]

Up the U's

Next Manager on 19:45 - Mar 9 with 1739 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Next Manager on 14:52 - Mar 9 by burnsieespana

Seems I was wrong. Freddie is expected to be in the squad this Saturday.

Next Manager on 19:59 - Mar 9 with 1736 viewsburnsieespana

Give Sears the right sort of support playing to his strengths and he will get the goals we need.
I see Nouble still out in the cold!
Next Manager on 10:24 - Oct 31 with 778 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Thought I might as well bring this back to the top. We normally need it at least once a season it seems! So, our next manager, anyone have any preferences or ideas on who it should be?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024