Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southend 10:40 - May 5 with 5254 viewsburnsieespana

It seems our neighbours are once again the subject of an HMRC winding up order and £16m of debts have recently been transferred to the club by the Chairman.
With the transfer embargo in place it must be of real concern to their fans as rather like, for example Bury they must be in reL danger this time.e of loosing their club.
Southend on 11:01 - May 5 with 3494 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Some of our "fans" would do well to look at this. With Robbie in charge I can't see this ever happening to us. Look at the mess some clubs find themselves in, most bigger than us, both in and out of the football league.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Southend on 12:38 - May 5 with 3481 viewsburnsieespana

Southend on 11:01 - May 5 by RSCOSWORTH

Some of our "fans" would do well to look at this. With Robbie in charge I can't see this ever happening to us. Look at the mess some clubs find themselves in, most bigger than us, both in and out of the football league.

How right you are.
Southend on 15:35 - May 5 with 3461 viewsdurham_exile

Martin has just settled a £3m debt to HMRC so what is this latest drama all about.

Durham_exile

Southend on 16:29 - May 5 with 3456 viewswessex_exile

Southend on 15:35 - May 5 by durham_exile

Martin has just settled a £3m debt to HMRC so what is this latest drama all about.

Same thing Durham, just two months down the line from the previous unpaid debt being settled. Backroom staff have apparently gone unpaid for the last two months as well, and I think they're still under a transfer embargo. We all know Ron will settle on the High Court steps, he always does, but who'd want to work in that sort of environment?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Southend on 17:35 - May 5 with 3442 viewsthrillseeker

Southend on 16:29 - May 5 by wessex_exile

Same thing Durham, just two months down the line from the previous unpaid debt being settled. Backroom staff have apparently gone unpaid for the last two months as well, and I think they're still under a transfer embargo. We all know Ron will settle on the High Court steps, he always does, but who'd want to work in that sort of environment?

Dodgy Ron needs to be careful as the National League are a lot stricter with their participation and financial criteria than the EFL.

If National League think a club will not fulfil a season by lodging a bond, being in administration or never ending money problems on date of League AGM they can be withdrawn from National League. That would then leave Dodgy Ron applying for a place in Isthmian League or lower
Southend on 18:03 - May 5 with 3439 viewsdurham_exile

Southend on 16:29 - May 5 by wessex_exile

Thanks Wessex - what a mess it is.

Durham_exile

Southend on 09:31 - May 6 with 3368 viewsburnsieespana

As always it is the fans who suffer in these situations.
By June Ron won't have many players left as still under an embargo which means, I believe, they can't even talk about new contracts for existing players.
As said what a mess.
Southend on 21:04 - Jul 11 with 2971 viewsbwildered

Up before the courts again tomorrow . Also got to show National League accounts are viable .
Really could be over.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Southend on 11:47 - Jul 12 with 2910 viewsdurham_exile

Southend on 21:04 - Jul 11 by bwildered

Up before the courts again tomorrow . Also got to show National League accounts are viable .
Really could be over.

Bwildered - suspect another 11th hour salvage for the club.

But frankly the supporters and players deserve better than this shambles.

Durham_exile

Southend on 12:05 - Jul 12 with 2909 viewsbwildered

Have survived until another hearing in six weeks , with Rob Martin trying to sell within the timescale. The club at present have only 14 players with the season approaching.
However the Club have a meeting with National League, on Monday with more rules to abide, which could see a points deduction or possible redeployment to Essex Senior League .
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 12:07]

Southend on 20:38 - Jul 12 with 2862 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I have followed this for several months now.

HMRC was one hurdle from 10.30am this morning but Southend United's future may be determined by close of business tomorrow.

As things stand, it looks unlikely that The National League will allow Southend to play their opening fixture.

A few months ago it was thought the club may have raised the £5 million required to pay HMRC, players and staff, creditors - that included utility companies etc.

This would have bought them about 12 to 18 months trading.

The actual amount raised was £2 million from the details that emerged in respect of charges on land and property and this seemed to be linked to family contacts of current owner Ron Martin.

I stand to be corrected on this but it was my understanding from what showed up through Companies House and all the times and dates seemed to add up and support this transaction ( it was mighty complex and detailed ).

The £2 million was quickly swallowed up.

Nothing was paid today in respect of the remaining club debts.

I have never been convinced that any of the companies or individuals who were linked to the purchase of Southend United were serious contenders.

About nine months ago l visited an accountant in Southend and we discussed the club. He seemed perplexed when l said a possible scenario could be that Southend United might have to start life again as a phoenix club and ground share with a club like Billericay. Having said that, Billericay did have other commitments.

This is still a possibility.

I am sure many Colchester United fans will have been following events in Southend, and l for one am hoping for a good outcome for a fab club with a loyal fan base.

Thanks to Steve Foley ( in his position as Caretaker Manager ) l was able to sit in the dugout at Roots Hall as Tom English led us to a victory on Boxing Day, and l was even allowed to celebrate a goal by running on the pitch!

This was over thirty years ago but cherished all these years on.
Southend on 07:15 - Jul 13 with 2821 viewsSparkfilmsTV

So, we now have a statement from Southend United owner Ron Martin that finally gives us an idea of what 'the deal' consists of.

The club is available for £1. For this you get just over 70 per cent of the shares and three years rent free at Roots Hall.

Sounds simple. And it reminds me of being invited to 'witness' the change of ownership of Colchester United.

Owning a football club is a hot kitchen. It proved too hot for Jonathan Crisp. Jonathan made some serious errors during his stewardship.

The club changed hands in the main stand at Layer Road when James Bowdridge handed a pound coin to Jonathan Crisp.

James actually dropped the coin down the steps and l managed to retrieve it. I made sure l handed the coin to James before he gave it to Jonathan.

I had first met Jonathan Crisp on a train journey into London. He had just taken over our club.

We sat opposite one another in First Class. It was very rare for me to travel in that mode. I had a meeting with Marks & Spencer to discuss design work my company was engaged in and l was shuffling around pieces of paper.

When the train broke down at Shenfield for a while Mr Crisp asked me what l was working on.

He had just sold his company 'Marketing Solutions' and l had just opened mine ( Graphic Warehouse ).

I had seen his picture and profile in the Essex County Standard so l already knew some of his background.

He told me when he sold his company ( for a huge sum ) he was looking to get on the board at Arsenal and had met up with Peter Hill-Wood and 'not hit it off'.

Next stop was a meeting with the Cobbold family with the intention of a place on the board at Portman Road. 'They didn't take to me either' he quipped.

So next stop a trip to meet Maurice Cadman and just like the story of The Three Bears the porridge was just right.

I never got to write a book about Colchester United but my association with Mr Crisp would have filled up quite a few pages.

So back to Southend.

A pound will get you ownership of the club but you will need to satisfy authorities that you can keep the cash cow afloat for a while and that will cost quite a bit more.

Southend are floating in space at the moment, anywhere between the National League and the beach.
Southend on 08:54 - Jul 13 with 2811 viewsbwildered

Southend United Line-up that day, many recognised names

1. Paul Sansome
2. Paul Roberts
3. Justin Edinburgh
4. Dave Martin
5. Andy Edwards
6. Paul Brush
7. Jason Cook
8. Nicky Smith
9. Mario Walsh
10. Roy McDonough
11. Martin Ling
Sub(s):
12. Gary Bennett - replaced Mario Walsh
Coaching staff
Dave Webb - Manager

Southend on 10:39 - Jul 13 with 2794 viewsburnsieespana

Some really good players there several of which ended up with us.
Southend on 15:03 - Jul 13 with 2755 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I didn't get a programme for the Roots Hall encounter and hadn't realised that half the Southend team that day would form the backbone of our double winning side in 1991 / 92.

Last May many of us met up again at Colchester Town Hall for the 'Boys of '92' 30th Anniversary celebration.

Paul Roberts, Dave Martin, Jason Cook, Nicky Smith and the one and only Roy McDonough attended and we had the most fantastic night!

Roy was very astute with his signings during 91/92 picking up Paul Roberts from Fisher Athletic for £750 must rate as one of the club's finest ever acquisitions.

The loan signing of Dave Martin ( not forgetting Dave Webb's assistance ) gave us the extra bite in midfield and helped get us over the line.

Roy McDonough made an immense impact at both Colchester United and Southend United. Without his inspirational leadership we may never have regained our league status.

Paul Roberts and Dave Martin seemed even more energised last summer than l remember them. And that is saying something.

You need characters in teams if you are going to achieve anything and Colchester United had them in abundance under Roy McDonough!
Southend on 00:42 - Jul 14 with 2682 viewswessex_exile

Southend on 08:54 - Jul 13 by bwildered

Southend United Line-up that day, many recognised names

1. Paul Sansome
2. Paul Roberts
3. Justin Edinburgh
4. Dave Martin
5. Andy Edwards
6. Paul Brush
7. Jason Cook
8. Nicky Smith
9. Mario Walsh
10. Roy McDonough
11. Martin Ling
Sub(s):
12. Gary Bennett - replaced Mario Walsh
Coaching staff
Dave Webb - Manager

Me and my brother-in-law Steve were in the Southend main stand that day, didn’t stop us celebrating like maniacs though - Jingle Bells!

Up the U's

Southend on 07:55 - Jul 14 with 2655 viewsbwildered

The U’s line up on that Boxing Day .
The visitors end was then the open end, Remember the English lads celebrating on the fencing behind the goal when the second was scored. A bright spot within a season of defeat .

Line-up
1. John Grace
2. Marcelle Bruce
3. Clive Stafford
4. Tony English
5. Scott Daniels
6. Billy Gilbert
7. Gary Bennett
8. Richard Wilkins
9. Les Taylor
10. Tommy English
11. Robert Scott
Sub(s):
12. Martin Grainger - replaced Billy Gilbert
13. John Warner - replaced Robert Scott
Goalscorers
Goal
65' Martin Grainger.
Goal
69' Tommy English.
Coaching staff
Steve Foley - Caretaker Manager

Southend on 09:18 - Jul 14 with 2636 viewsSparkfilmsTV

The Colchester line-up that day included ROBERT SCOTT!

Moving north by a few hundred miles it was Scott who scored that unforgettable winner at Feethams in a that epic relegation battle the previous season against Darlington!

I should imagine there are several posters on here who were at Feethams among the 7,000 plus crowd that day.

As Scott turned away in celebration with his arm aloft the joyous Colchester fans who filled up an entire side of the ground let out a mighty roar that must have been heard in Butt Road.

That was a great day out!
Southend on 10:27 - Jul 14 with 2629 viewsburnsieespana

We had some absolutely fabulous days at Layer Rd but it is also so easy to forget some of the dreadful days with not much more than an 1000 in the ground, horrible football and painful results.
Southend on 21:12 - Jul 14 with 2571 viewswessex_exile

Southend on 09:18 - Jul 14 by SparkfilmsTV

The Colchester line-up that day included ROBERT SCOTT!

Moving north by a few hundred miles it was Scott who scored that unforgettable winner at Feethams in a that epic relegation battle the previous season against Darlington!

I should imagine there are several posters on here who were at Feethams among the 7,000 plus crowd that day.

As Scott turned away in celebration with his arm aloft the joyous Colchester fans who filled up an entire side of the ground let out a mighty roar that must have been heard in Butt Road.

That was a great day out!

That's a question that I don't have answer to - what do we think our largest away following for a league game was? I'm going to guess it might have been one of our Portman Road trips back in the day, though I doubt there were accurate figures from back then. Let's say the post-Conference modern era - would it have been Portman Road in the Championship?

Up the U's

Southend on 21:32 - Jul 14 with 2559 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Some of those very low crowds were due to the ill considered 'Membership Scheme' that Jonathan Crisp introduced. It is a subject l never raised with him but he realised his mistake and bought it to a conclusion. ( Thank goodness ).

Someone who posts on here asked me what Jonathan Crisp was like to know. So here goes.

He was charasmatic, highly educated, extremely generous, considerate and really good company. My financial links to the club were partly due to working with Jonathan's partner. She had a senior position at the DTI and we worked on some major projects together in London.

Some of the profits went towards the signing of Steve McGavin from Sudbury Town.

Sometimes we would travel to away matches in Mr Crisp's Bentley and we would have a 'smoke'.

Occasionally, while looking for the away ground we would have to stop and ask a policeman. The skunk weed billowed out - the police usually smiled, but some frowned.

We virtually took over an entire hotel once for a match at Cheltenham. We agreed to pay for anything we destroyed.

A well known journalist who was travelling with us stripped almost naked in a restaurant after his tenth pint of lager. He managed to get one of the waitresses up on the bar to dance!

On another occasion in a restaurant in North London, after a match against Barnet l think, Frank Carson did a moonie for the diners who all applauded and asked for his autograph.

Our behaviour was often more extreme than a night out with the team.

Those evenings began in the player's bar and next stop was the Police Station bar ( they must still have one ), Trotters, Bay and Say?, Champagne Charlie's etc en route to Lary's ( as it was known back then ).

I don't recall Jonathan ever coming on one of those sorties.

Sometimes our Chairman would put on lavish dining parties at The Grange in Great Horkesley.

He would bring in catering staff to assist and there would often by some interesting guests from a diverse background, football managers, international players and members of Deep Purple come to mind, not to mention our Irish friends.

There were several occasions when Jonathan was unable to attend an away match and so l would travel along and pretend l was him. That was quite funny because when some of the directors from other clubs came to Layer Road they got a little confused. Northwich Victoria and Slough come to mind.
Southend on 22:07 - Jul 14 with 2553 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I'm multi tasking tonight and missed the reply about biggest away following.

I think l may have the answer to that. For an F.A. Cup match it would be the Quarter Final at Goodison Park against Everton in 1971. I think we took about 10,000 up there. Cars, coaches, trains and planes!

Not sure how many travelled to Blackpool in '48. Even before my time that one.

Ipswich away in The Southern League days, ( also before l was born ) would seem the most likely.

We took a good following to The Hawthorns for The Watney Cup Final against West Bromwich Albion, also to the F.A. Cup replay against West Brom in '67.

There was also the match at New Writtle Street against Chelmsford City in the same cup run where took about 4,200.

Goals here for Tom McKechnie and Reg Stratton in a 2-0 won.
Southend on 08:01 - Jul 15 with 2513 viewsbwildered

Surely the biggest away following must be U’s first visit to Wembley versus Witton .
Would suggest 20k out of attendance 27,500 .

Southend on 09:44 - Jul 15 with 2497 viewswessex_exile

Southend on 08:01 - Jul 15 by bwildered

Surely the biggest away following must be U’s first visit to Wembley versus Witton .
Would suggest 20k out of attendance 27,500 .

That would definitely be the answer for all competitions, and it was nearer 25k in a crowd of 32,254 (though god knows how many had never seen the U’s before, or since). However, my interest is specifically the domestic league, so I’m not even counting our play-off against Torquay (about 12k I think), just the regular away games each season.

I thought it must have been the 2007 visit to Portman Road in our first Championship season. The 28,355 crowd was the highest ever between the two sides, but with a reported away capacity of only 1,900, I’m sure we must have taken more than that elsewhere?

Up the U's

Southend on 09:54 - Jul 15 with 2495 viewswessex_exile

Meanwhile, back on the thread subject, things are going from bad to worse in South Essex. With only 14 players and no medics on the books, Southend have cancelled another pre-season friendly - against Billericay today. More worrying, fans are planning an all day protest outside Ron’s house - that could turn really ugly.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024