Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Torquay in administration 20:27 - Feb 22 with 727 viewsburnsieespana

Assume Ronnie Nelson will now return particularly as Gary Johnson has resigned.
Plight of Torquay, I suspect is tip of the iceberg as, for example Rochdale are close to administration.
[Post edited 23 Feb 10:05]
Torquay in administration on 22:34 - Feb 22 with 695 viewswessex_exile

Desperately tragic news for a proper football club run so badly, it breaks my heart to read it. Let's not also forget that our very own legend Tom Lapslie will be caught up in this, as they face serious risk of relegation to Step 7 with the points deduction. I'm not going to get on my soapbox about this, but in another world there but for the grace of god (and prudent fiscal control) we'd go too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Torquay in administration on 23:23 - Feb 22 with 679 viewsthrillseeker

Wessex - 'our very own legend Tom Lapslie'?

An ex-player yes, but legend is a bit OTT
Torquay in administration on 00:46 - Feb 23 with 669 viewswessex_exile

Torquay in administration on 23:23 - Feb 22 by thrillseeker

Wessex - 'our very own legend Tom Lapslie'?

An ex-player yes, but legend is a bit OTT

Do you think so - I would completely disagree with you on that. Came through our academy and was with the club for nearly ten years as boy and man. I consider Tom as a Col U legend, sorry if that bothers you.

Up the U's

Torquay in administration on 08:42 - Feb 23 with 639 viewsthrillseeker

Torquay in administration on 00:46 - Feb 23 by wessex_exile

Do you think so - I would completely disagree with you on that. Came through our academy and was with the club for nearly ten years as boy and man. I consider Tom as a Col U legend, sorry if that bothers you.

Wessex - I didn't mean to offend

We obviously have a different view on the word legend
Torquay in administration on 08:46 - Feb 23 with 636 viewsthrillseeker

But back to topic

It is disheartening to hear the news of Torquay and possibly Rochdale and I fear more will follow.

Nuneaton Borough have already withdrawn from Southern Central Premier League and face liquidation.
Torquay in administration on 09:13 - Feb 23 with 633 viewsMoor_Pinot

Torquay in administration on 22:34 - Feb 22 by wessex_exile

Desperately tragic news for a proper football club run so badly, it breaks my heart to read it. Let's not also forget that our very own legend Tom Lapslie will be caught up in this, as they face serious risk of relegation to Step 7 with the points deduction. I'm not going to get on my soapbox about this, but in another world there but for the grace of god (and prudent fiscal control) we'd go too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68372224

Damn shame for their many loyal core fans.
First U's game I ever took my son was to Plainmoor, 3-3 if I recall.
They are not the only ones in trouble at step 2 - yes, Nuneaton have folded and Taunton Town put out a statement last month re cash flow problems. Truro City are now trying to play at Taunton because they have no ground but the rain thwarts income for both . It cannot be easy and this is why I've always been grateful that Mr Cowling is there . If he wasn't....

Moor Pinot

Torquay in administration on 09:53 - Feb 23 with 627 viewsRSCOSWORTH

So sad to see. Crazy how there's so much money in football these days but yet clubs like Torquay and Rochdale are on the verge of going out of business and I'm sure they're not the only ones. Both clubs are pretty similar to us in size and stature. The Cowling out brigade need to be careful what they wish for.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Torquay in administration on 10:20 - Feb 23 with 611 viewsTheOldOakTree

Torquay in administration on 00:46 - Feb 23 by wessex_exile

Sorry to be pedantic, but I believe Mr Lapslie didn’t join the Acadamy until he was 16, and already a useful footballer.

A bit like players that used to come through our very successful youth team prior to the extremely expensive academy.

He’s never going to make the Col U Hall of Fame, but I’m happy with ‘legend’ because of his attitude, effort and commitment. Guess they never had time to coach that out of him at Tiptree.

Login to get fewer ads

Torquay in administration on 10:52 - Feb 23 with 601 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Torquay in administration on 10:20 - Feb 23 by TheOldOakTree

Sorry to be pedantic, but I believe Mr Lapslie didn’t join the Acadamy until he was 16, and already a useful footballer.

A bit like players that used to come through our very successful youth team prior to the extremely expensive academy.

He’s never going to make the Col U Hall of Fame, but I’m happy with ‘legend’ because of his attitude, effort and commitment. Guess they never had time to coach that out of him at Tiptree.

Don't forget his winning penalty in the shootout against Spurs in the League Cup. Probably not the player many of us expecting to be walking up to take our fifth and final penalty but it was well taken and says a lot about his character. I think if we'd kept him he would've played a lot more the last few seasons than he did the seasons before he left.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Torquay in administration on 13:57 - Feb 23 with 575 viewsbwildered

Tom up to last Saturday was plying his trade at Torquay. Got a second yellow after being substituted for an incident in the dugout area and sent from the touch line by the referee to the changing room . The seagulls lost 1-0 away to Braintree .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Torquay in administration on 18:45 - Feb 23 with 539 viewswessex_exile

Torquay in administration on 08:42 - Feb 23 by thrillseeker

Wessex - I didn't mean to offend

We obviously have a different view on the word legend

My apologies TS, my late night reply came across way snarkier than it was meant to - I was actually surprised rather than upset, but as you say, it's all about ones perception of 'legend'. As has been said, Tom will never be inducted into our Hall of Fame, but as a combative tenacious midfielder who always left everything out on the pitch for season after season, I have mentally filed him in the 'legends' box in my head (I guess with a lowercase "l").

Up the U's

Torquay in administration on 20:15 - Feb 23 with 524 viewsthrillseeker

Torquay in administration on 18:45 - Feb 23 by wessex_exile

My apologies TS, my late night reply came across way snarkier than it was meant to - I was actually surprised rather than upset, but as you say, it's all about ones perception of 'legend'. As has been said, Tom will never be inducted into our Hall of Fame, but as a combative tenacious midfielder who always left everything out on the pitch for season after season, I have mentally filed him in the 'legends' box in my head (I guess with a lowercase "l").

- no worries Wessex and no need for the apology.

We all have differing views which makes this board that good.

Just for the record I did like Lapslie for his effort, enthusiasm, tenacity and determination to win. He reminded me a little of Ken Izzet but for whatever reason his career stagnated with us

As RSC mentions, will always be remembered for the winning penalty against Spurs
Torquay in administration on 09:18 - Feb 24 with 447 viewsdurham_exile

Defining a legend is always going to be subjective.

However Michael Foot was a leg end in his own right!

Up the U's

And I fully agree, desperately sad for Torquay, everyone's favourite West Country team.

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024