Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lauren Baker 09:26 - Mar 2 with 523 viewsbwildered

https://justgiving.com/page/laurens62mile-walkfundraiser?utm_medium=fundraising&

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Lauren Baker on 17:43 - Mar 8 with 360 viewsTheOldOakTree

I’ve been following this young lady’s posts since bwildered brought it to our attention.

I never thought I would have much in common with a 19-year-old girl, (well there’s a free hit for you), but I can relate to her experiences and I am in awe of her.

I appreciate I’m just one of millions of people that have had their world rocked to the foundations, but it’s almost exactly 20 years since, out of the blue, I was diagnosed with cancer, OK a different disease, and for me not as scary as Laurens illness, but it was still a shock at the time.

Funny enough, it was on a day of a match at Layer Road and having left the hospital in a daze, I went and stood on the Barside as usual. I didn’t make it beyond halftime, before the enormity of the day hit me and I walked home along a deserted Layer Road with tears running down my face.

Like this young lady, I had treatment and life got back to some normality, only with frequent hospital check-ups thrown in for good measure. Nothing special about this, millions have experienced the same. Then out of the blue, just like Lauren my troubles came back and second time round it’s like a hammer blow.

Seeing the photo of Lauren with her hospital name bracelet brings it all back. For some macabre reason I collected my name bracelets every time I went in for operations or treatments and I think I have about 15. I keep them in a draw with watches etc. and they remind me of how lucky I am and that life is for living to the full, when you have the chance.

This is where any similarity with Lauren ends.

Kids shouldn’t be ill. I was 40, I’d had a good life already. Since then, I’ve partied, I’ve made sure I’ve had as much fun as possible, I taken no #### from anyone, it’s all been about me. Despite having survivors guilt at times, I still haven’t lifted a finger to help others (other than paying tax!).

Completely the opposite of this young lady, who was laying in hospital a few weeks ago, and now she’s walking/running 62 miles to raise money so that others, hopefully one day, don’t have to go through the same as her.

I guess, like many, I only survived because of medical advances, partly funded by the actions of people like Lauren.

Her family must be so proud of her, just as I’m sure her extended Col U family are.
Lauren Baker on 11:35 - Mar 11 with 274 viewsgerry_us

88% towards her target.
Go Lauren.
Lauren Baker on 14:30 - Mar 11 with 254 viewsTheOldOakTree

Lauren Baker on 11:35 - Mar 11 by gerry_us

88% towards her target.
Go Lauren.

I noticed that a Barrow fan chipped in with some of his/her hard earnt as well. Amazing!

So if there's any Donny fans lurking on here, it's a fantastic opportunity to help yourself and help sick kids in one simple, painless act.

For just £5, you get to drink 1 pint less and thereby reduce your calorie intake.

Let's be honest, you're looking a little 'cuddly' these days.

It's a no brainer really and it proably works better than slimming pills, at a fraction of the cost.

PS If you're a proper 'porker' there's a special offer of 'donate 2 pints and get a third one free'.
[Post edited 11 Mar 14:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024