Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill 22:21 - Mar 22 with 2341 viewsdurham_exile

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer that in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs – victory in spite of all terrors – victory however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.” Winston Churchill 13 May 1940.

DC and NC should pin these words above the changing room door at Field Mill tomorrow.

If anyone is in any doubt as to the seriousness of our situation they have only to glance at the current league table.

Grimsby 37 39
COL U 36 33
FGR 38 33
Sutton 39 30

Remaining fixtures:

Colchester 36 33
Mansfield A
Newport H
Tranmere A
Wrexham H
Stockport H
Crawley A
Grimsby H
Notts Co A
Doncaster H
Crewe H

FGR 38 33
Doncaster A
Stockport H
Crewe A
MK Dons H
Mansfield A
Wrexham A
Morecambe A
Notts Co H

Sutton 39 30
Accrington H
Salford A
Swindon H
Stockport H
Harrogate A
Crawley H
MK Dons A

Now here’s the thing, Sky have chosen this game because the Stags are scoring goals for fun and having defeated Harrogate 9-1 they put 5 past Bradford City and so everyone is expecting a home victory.

I hate the expression free hit; we go to Field Mill content in the knowledge that recent games at Mansfield have been close affairs. 2 draws, 2 defeats and a victory are what I have seen since 2019.

Tomorrow gives the U’s the perfect chance to secure three vital points and to send out a message to Gloucestershire and South London that they are the ones going down to the National League rather than the team from North Essex.

It just remains to ask how brave will DC be in his team selection.

Mansfield are likely to line up something like this: 4,3,1,2

Pym
Bowery Flint Brunt Cargill
Boateng Reed Keillor-Dunn
Quinn
Swan Akins

I want DC to bring his “A” game and go toe to toe with the Stags: 4,3,1,2

Goodman

Richardson Dallison Hall Iandolo

Fevrier Chilvers Read

McGeehan

Ihionvien Tovide

Subs:
Hornby Jay Wilkinson Edwards Smith Harbottle Anderson

Clearly Iandolo has been training with the first team as has Tovide who also had 45 minutes in the Essex Senior Cup Final. I don’t think Kells will be back for this one.

DC has rightly said that he expects the whole squad to be involved for the vital run in.

He however must be brave and play two up top to give the Stags something to think about. Sitting back and inviting pressure is simply not an option. Take the game to them, get some crosses into the strikers and give them some valuable service, it will pay dividends.

This is a game where the players should not need motivation. Live on Sky, albeit a lunchtime kick off, will put players in the shop window. Chilvers must be at the last chance saloon but can he rise to the occasion with a big game and three points on the line.

Whatever happens we must not leave there at about 2:20pm cursing our luck because we failed to go forward, create chances and actually take some of them. Give the travelling faithful something to celebrate at Field Mill, a classic away win. Be brave and committed, totally determined to put one over on Clough and his table toppers.

Nothing must be left on the pitch but blood, sweat, toil and tears of joy (with apologies to the great man).

I am predicting a 3-2 victory for the U’s. Mansfield will score, that is inevitable, but let us have the passion, fight and determination to succeed. My son tells me that you can get 5-1 on the U’s to win. That must be worth a pony in anyone’s book (even those who only ever have a flutter on the National (the horse race, not the league!).

The faithful will be up for the fight, they will be giving their all at Field Mill. We are long overdue a classic victory against one of the so-called top teams. They have to play slightly below par (or perhaps complacency will be their downfall) whilst we have to turn up and want it more than them.

The players are on satellite TV, it is a match like every other, still three points at stake but unlike every other it is a game that we are expected to lose. Even many Colchester supporters on the social media sites are predicting a defeat, but the true blue and whites know that it is our moment tomorrow.

Early kick off - 8 degrees Celsius, early morning rain then partly sunny but breezy. A full sized but only three sides to the pitch with the infamous boarded TV gantry stand casting a shadow over proceedings.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. Enjoy the game, whether actually at the game or on Sky. I am travelling the 125 miles from Durham and it will mean an earlier start for me than usual.

Let the cry of Essex, Essex, Essex ring out combined with “we pay your benefits” as a depressed Clough sinks to his knees after DC inflicts a classic defeat upon the Stags.

This season truly starts tomorrow.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 23:27 - Mar 22 with 1651 viewswessex_exile

Truly inspirational write-up Durham, magnificent stuff, and you're right, DC should have Winston's words nailed to the Field Mill dressing room. The early kick-off realistically put the kybosh on me traveling to Mansfield, so instead, I'm on a double header that I think at least Gerry will appreciate.

I'm off to Salisbury to join my Spireite mate Craig to watch the U's put a dent in the Scab's promotion ambitions, followed by confirmation of the inevitable promotion of Chesterfield as champions back to the EFL, live on TNT Sports against Boreham Wood. If we all do our jobs, I guarantee both results will be celebrated equally loudly throughout Derbyshire, Essex, and even in a small corner of Wiltshire too.

Up the U's, and come on the Spireites!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 23:45 - Mar 22 with 1642 viewsdurham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 23:27 - Mar 22 by wessex_exile

Truly inspirational write-up Durham, magnificent stuff, and you're right, DC should have Winston's words nailed to the Field Mill dressing room. The early kick-off realistically put the kybosh on me traveling to Mansfield, so instead, I'm on a double header that I think at least Gerry will appreciate.

I'm off to Salisbury to join my Spireite mate Craig to watch the U's put a dent in the Scab's promotion ambitions, followed by confirmation of the inevitable promotion of Chesterfield as champions back to the EFL, live on TNT Sports against Boreham Wood. If we all do our jobs, I guarantee both results will be celebrated equally loudly throughout Derbyshire, Essex, and even in a small corner of Wiltshire too.

Up the U's, and come on the Spireites!

Wessex enjoy the double header.

A double; U's and Spireites, sounds brilliant.
Gerry will love it too.

Enjoy.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 08:04 - Mar 23 with 1586 viewsBLACKCAT

I'm looking forward to seeing Colchester United play. I think I've seen you play once before, other than brief highlights on The EFL Show. 18th November, 2006 we won 3-1; you beat us by the same score later that season. I had a season-ticket so, though I've no recollection of the match, I'd presume I was at The SOL on that autumn day.

Ha'way The U's!
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 09:08 - Mar 23 with 1554 viewsgerry_us

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 23:45 - Mar 22 by durham_exile

Gerry will love it too.

Enjoy.

Up the U's

Great day today.
Suggest a win and a draw and as Spirerites only need one point for promotion they can have the draw and us the win.
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 11:35 - Mar 23 with 1500 viewsbwildered

Could also be under the Sky Cinema heading . Spaghetti sport .

The Good, Bad and down right Ugly .
The Magnifcent 11 ( plus subs ).
[Post edited 23 Mar 11:36]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 11:42 - Mar 23 with 1485 viewsMoor_Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 23:45 - Mar 22 by durham_exile

Gerry will love it too.

Enjoy.

Up the U's

As the French say "formidable" Durham. I salute thee.
I just hope management tell them to go enjoy themselves because that may free them up a bit. They're getting better and harder to beat but still a bit paralysed by their situation. Understandable after years the same.

Not expecting anything but would be delighted if they performed encouragingly ahead of next week.

Have a decent day.

Moor Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 11:51 - Mar 23 with 1478 viewsTheOldOakTree

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 11:35 - Mar 23 by bwildered

Could also be under the Sky Cinema heading . Spaghetti sport .

The Good, Bad and down right Ugly .
The Magnifcent 11 ( plus subs ).
[Post edited 23 Mar 11:36]

High (half past) Noon?

Bonanza?

Iandolo unchained? (getting desperate now)

Hope it's not the John Wayne classic True Shit
[Post edited 23 Mar 11:58]
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 12:13 - Mar 23 with 1443 viewsdurham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 08:04 - Mar 23 by BLACKCAT

I'm looking forward to seeing Colchester United play. I think I've seen you play once before, other than brief highlights on The EFL Show. 18th November, 2006 we won 3-1; you beat us by the same score later that season. I had a season-ticket so, though I've no recollection of the match, I'd presume I was at The SOL on that autumn day.

Ha'way The U's!

Black Cat
I went to the 3-1 game at the Stadium of Light.

You are right Colchester beat you at Layer Road by the same scoreline.
Roy Keane was fuming.
Enjoy the game.
3-2 Col U

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 12:23 - Mar 23 with 1435 viewsTheOldOakTree

Can we persuade the Mansfield groundsman to put in a transfer request?

I don't know what it's like in the flesh, but the pitch looks pretty reasonable on ifollow.

EDIT: I'll take that back now the game has started, the going looks a bit soft in places!
[Post edited 23 Mar 12:40]
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 12:31 - Mar 23 with 1413 viewsTheOldOakTree

This is going to do my head in!!!!

Col U playing away to a team playing in the the U's away colours!
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 13:26 - Mar 23 with 1385 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester good value for the lead.

The partisan home crowd even booing their own players.

I really loathe Mansfield.

We need a second.

The Stags are definitely unhappy but I am sure they underestimated the U's

Don't expect any half time changes but I would like to see Tovide get 30 mins.

We need to keep working hard and deal better with this swirling wind.

How is the Sky commentary Wessex.

Great turnout from the faithful today.

Plenty of sunshine in between the sharp showers.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:31 - Mar 23 with 1319 viewsCrashBandicoot

A draw in the end, a bit of shame as we were leading but a good result considering who we were up against.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:32 - Mar 23 with 1318 viewsBLACKCAT

A very good point and an impressive performance. More nerve-racking than enjoyable but you didn't look like a bottom-half side.
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:34 - Mar 23 with 1314 viewsfranksic1988

Was that Taylor in the crowd with the fans at the end watching….

That’s a point you would take all day long. Beat FG Rovers at home, Acc Stanley and thats an extra 4 points we are home and hosed. We just need to get into the knack of getting over the line with all 3 points!!
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:43 - Mar 23 with 1303 viewsburnsieespana

Well done as an excellent result.
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:58 - Mar 23 with 1286 viewswessex_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:43 - Mar 23 by burnsieespana

Well done as an excellent result.

Excellent point in the context given relative positions, but I think we were just about worth the win. Let’s see how others do.

Up the U's

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 15:03 - Mar 23 with 1280 viewsdurham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:58 - Mar 23 by wessex_exile

Excellent point in the context given relative positions, but I think we were just about worth the win. Let’s see how others do.

Wessex we were worth the win.

Pym did well to turn Tovide shot onto the post.

Just to illustrate what it meant to the players. When Dallison won the ball in the heart of the defence near the end of the game his emotion was tremendous to watch.

I am sure there were more than 248 of the faithful. But great point in the scheme of things.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 15:16 - Mar 23 with 1264 viewsMoor_Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 14:58 - Mar 23 by wessex_exile

Absolutely Wessex. Couple of wins and we'll see these players truly play for the first time. The paralysis of fear needs removing.

Excellent boost before Good Friday against another good side. A draw would be acceptable then too.

Moor Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 16:14 - Mar 23 with 1229 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Watched on Sky Sports. Thought Colchester looked balanced and gave a good account of themselves.

The match could have gone either way but great credit to Colchester for putting the league leaders under considerable pressure in the closing stages.

On the evidence of what was seen today we didn't look like a team in the bottom three.

😊😊🦮🦮
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:02 - Mar 23 with 1201 viewsdurham_exile

I see Sutton didn't read the script but FGR did!

This is going down to the wire.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:18 - Mar 23 with 1182 viewsTheOldOakTree

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:02 - Mar 23 by durham_exile

Up the U's

There are no bad teams, the difference between top and bottom is small compared with other seasons.

On current form, nobody deserves to drop out of the league this year, it will be very fine margins as to who ends up in the bottom two.

Based on todays performance, nobody should say that we are not trying or that we don't want it.
DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:20 - Mar 23 with 1180 viewsMoor_Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:02 - Mar 23 by durham_exile

Up the U's

We're doing much better than I expected Durham. As I keep saying "one win" will be very significant.

As for the others we have no influence but I suspect neither Grimsby nor Swindon are comfy.

Moor Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:55 - Mar 23 with 1156 viewsMoor_Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:18 - Mar 23 by TheOldOakTree

There are no bad teams, the difference between top and bottom is small compared with other seasons.

On current form, nobody deserves to drop out of the league this year, it will be very fine margins as to who ends up in the bottom two.

Based on todays performance, nobody should say that we are not trying or that we don't want it.

Totally agree. Both Sutton and FGR are decent. The latter would have been mid table but for the disquiet installed by the previous manager.
Neither deserves to go down.

The only slightly heartening thing were it to be us is that this season only one side in the National League looks EFL standard meaning that nearly all the better sides of recent years have already made it into the Football League.
Indeed the National League hasn't been as dull for many seasons.

It'll be a pity for the two that go down, we did well today and are improving steadily so let's hope we hang in there. FGR have some tough games ahead and so do we (Wrexham, Crewe, Stockport, Newport and Crawley), Sutton less so. Grimsby and Swindon cannot afford a pointless spell though.

Stay Up the U's

Moor Pinot

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 18:54 - Mar 23 with 1143 viewswessex_exile

On balance, a great afternoon. The U’s showed on their day they can compete with the best in the league, Chesterfield deservedly won the National League title, and piss poor Donny finally overcame more piss poor FGR - I’ll take that!

Edit - the BBC report says it all.

Goodman's heroics - notably a breathtaking stop to keep out Baily Cargill's powerful point-blank header - did not tell the whole story, with the U's creating numerous late chances in an increasingly open finale.

[Post edited 23 Mar 19:24]

Up the U's

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 19:34 - Mar 23 with 1124 viewsburnsieespana

DC's Blue and White Army to ensure Stags are in a rut at Field Mill on 17:55 - Mar 23 by Moor_Pinot

Totally agree. Both Sutton and FGR are decent. The latter would have been mid table but for the disquiet installed by the previous manager.
Neither deserves to go down.

The only slightly heartening thing were it to be us is that this season only one side in the National League looks EFL standard meaning that nearly all the better sides of recent years have already made it into the Football League.
Indeed the National League hasn't been as dull for many seasons.

It'll be a pity for the two that go down, we did well today and are improving steadily so let's hope we hang in there. FGR have some tough games ahead and so do we (Wrexham, Crewe, Stockport, Newport and Crawley), Sutton less so. Grimsby and Swindon cannot afford a pointless spell though.

Stay Up the U's

Win the 4 easier games and nick a couple of points from the difficult 5 and we will escape as feel the trapdoor might shut at a higher level thin in previous seasons but 48 points should be enough so long as we preserve our GD advantage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024