Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jabo returns... 17:47 - Jan 12 with 749 viewsLeadbelly

...from his loan spell at Oldham but will he play the U's again?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Jabo returns... on 20:14 - Jan 12 with 723 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I hope so personally. We'd have been relegated if it wasn't for him and I still think he can do a job for us, I'm not so sure Humes does though.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Jabo returns... on 23:24 - Jan 12 with 708 viewsmfb_cufc

As he asked to leave as soon as Humes became manager, I would say he wont be playing for us again.

mfb

Jabo returns... on 22:20 - Jan 13 with 647 viewsdurham_exile

Jabo returns... on 23:24 - Jan 12 by mfb_cufc

As he asked to leave as soon as Humes became manager, I would say he wont be playing for us again.

As good a player as Jabo is (work rate tremendous, commitment total) he simply doesn't score enough goals and coupled with the fact that he wanted out, it is unlikely that he will play for TH again.

I would however like to see young Dion Sembie-Ferris play, he looks total quality.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Jabo returns... on 10:15 - Jan 14 with 610 viewsnoah4x4

Jabo returns... on 22:20 - Jan 13 by durham_exile

As good a player as Jabo is (work rate tremendous, commitment total) he simply doesn't score enough goals and coupled with the fact that he wanted out, it is unlikely that he will play for TH again.

I would however like to see young Dion Sembie-Ferris play, he looks total quality.

Up the U's

On Monday, I watched the 4-2 under 21's win over Crystal Palace. I have previously watched most U21 and some U18 home games over the last few seasons plus all Essex Senior Cup and other fixtures (such as pre-season) where one can witness our young emerging talent. What follows is my view on both Jabo and Dion Sembie-Ferris.

Two years ago, most of our youth squad lads were evidently quite skilful within their age groups, but many were (initially) so feeble that a puff of wind would blow them over compared to their typical opponents. A powerful 'Jabo' type player (e.g. one in the same age group) would easily bully our young defenders and stamp his size elevens all over them. On Monday, Palace were indeed the elder, the taller and the more muscular. They had a number of 'Jabo's'. Potentially we looked set for a hard time (apart from Macauley Bonne that can seemingly rough it with the hardest!).

But under Tony Humes (e.g. initially), our fast, skilful nimble Academy lads; already a half a yard faster/fitter than many of their adult peers; have progressively added strength and stamina to their game. On Monday we won a remarkable number of 50:50 tackles; out-muscled and out-headed our opponents and in best Sammie Szmodics (or Kem Izzett) fashion we were always 'in their faces'. Then having won possession, the U's held and used the ball well and could have scored six. This proves that you don't have to be a powerful thug to win the ball, notably in the modern game where any tackle with force might bring a yellow/red card sanction. The two Palace goals were well taken, and defensively were a bit sloppy on our part. But this U21 team is getting ever closer to perfection (they also beat Cardiff City last week). One can also see a distinct synergy and continuity in playing style between First XI and Under 21's/U18's - but for so long it was the U's First XI (and not the youngsters) that was laggard in ball skills and 'quality'. We are now playing football in the style of most successful premier league teams. The number of errors made is perhaps the only factor of difference.

Some fans that take the view "if good enough then age doesn't matter" might might be surprised at my deliberate reference above to the "elder" given this was an age group fixture. But my guess is that most of the Palace team were aged 19-21 and our lads definitely had the younger average age. For example, Dion Sembie-Ferris is merely 18. But let's assume they were all in the same 'school year'; which tends to be the case for under 13's to U17's). It has long been proven that sportsmen born in July/August 'mature' both physically and mentally (e.g. 'mental strength') later than those in born in the previous September/October despite being in the same school class.

What we are breeding at WHCS is a confident group of youngsters in a "Class of 92 mould"; which does of course refer to David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Phil Neville and Paul Scholes. Pundit Alan Hanson famously commented "nobody will win anything with kids". But age does matter.......

Dion Sembie-Ferris is one of our former 'six stone weaklings' that has suddenly bulked up into manhood and found some blistering pace to enhance his obvious ability. His second U21's goal was similar and every bit as good as that of Elliott Hewitt at the weekend. His debut Senior (FA Cup) performance against Cardiff was superb, albeit only for five minutes. That begs the question, has he the power/strength (including mental) to do it for ninety minutes at Senior level, or is he perhaps best employed in a substitute cameo role e.g. replacing Massey, Hewitt, or Watt after they have put in a hard shift (including defensively)? Does he yet have the physique to shake off knocks and injury? Will he get up after brutal tackles (e.g. like Sammy Szmodics) or limp off the pitch (like Watt)? What I do like about Dion is that he can defend, at least at U21 level. He also seems to be polite, very level headed, no chip on his shoulder, yet does still have a swagger and playing arrogance (unlike say Medi Elito when he was in a similar position he just had the swag).

What I am alluding too is that knowing exactly when to introduce these lads into the Senior XI is tricky. Sammy Szmodics (now 19) has recently been a revelation; and surely deserves the 'indestructable' tag once borne by J.J. O'Toole and erroenously by Dominic Vose. But Sammy's first few appearances last season provoked some criticism about him being 'too young/inexperienced"; and that was possibly justified as he then didn't have his current tenacity, confidence and the almost nasty 'snarl' that he has acquired today. Another, Alex Gilbey, needed a loan spell in the Conference to 'bulk up'. The U's made a terrible mistake with Ben Coker, by introducing him too soon and look how Southend have since benefited after he too has reached his desirable 'maturity'. Frankly, I believe that we introduced Coker far too soon; and then dispensed with him too soon (n.b. he played 41 games). Sadly, Ben went into the wilderness in 2010 at merely age 20, first with Chelmsford (loan) and then Histon (loan then permanent); before returning to the Football League. Now the same critics are moaning because he is doing so well at our rivals and we had let him go. Alex Wynter returning last week is probably an inspired move by Tony Humes, but he too is only 21 and on his previous (loan) debut was merely 19. Alex needed a further ten loan games with Portsmouth (loaned from Palace) to 'bulk up'. There are other youngsters that were woefully criticised when at the U's; such as loanees Micheal Antonio, Danny Batth. How delighted we would be to have them back; and they are barely older than our 'kids'.

It may be coincidence (see above), but Coker has a July birthday and Sembie-Ferris is May, so Ben was potentially ten months behind his own age group peers whilst Dion is likely to be about eight months behind his as regards physical and (less so) mental development. Such stuff does matter at age 18. Dion probably doesn't even shave yet! Let's not make the same mistakes that we did with Coker.

Dion Sembie-Ferris was released by Peterborough United at the age twelve (which must have dented his confidence), but after local junior football, was selected for St Neot's First XI at age 17, where he made only FOUR senior appearances (Southern League Premier Division) before being discovered by the U's scouting team. He signed with our Youth Academy in 2013 and has only recently won a proper contract. I have since watched him grow (literally!). He has never been out on loan, and (IMHO) it's probably too soon to throw him into a starting berth in the First XI after merely five senior appearences (and only 5 minutes in the Football League/Cup). He was apparently desperate to play against Posh (for obvous reasons!); but with Sears, Hewitt, Massey and Watt ahead of him he needs patience. Frankly, I reckon the best bet is to send him out on loan until the end of the season (to 'bulk up'). Then bring him back for 2015-16; or earlier when the future of on-loan from Ipswich Elliott Hewitt is also known. If not, any minor errors he might make at WHCS (like Coker before him) will be castigated by those in the 'Humes Out' - "they are all too young" brigade of fans and that might damage his confidence.

As regards Jabo (or some others that Humes has dispensed with), I don't see where he fits in the current playing style of the Senior Squad (or U'21's). I agree with Durham about his poor goalscoring record. If Oldham don't want to retain him despite not signing Ched Evans; what does that confirm? That doesn't mean that I think Ibrehe is a poor player. Frankly, he should be 'Hall of Fame' for his contributions to Colchester Utd (notably away against Portsmouth). However, what I have described above is the future of Colchester United in the modern 'Financial Fair Play' paradigm; and the development of our own players via the Academy. Since Bosman, it is hard to sell ANY senior players unless they are outstanding. Contracts are short and when close to expiry it is all about the highest bidder as regards wages. Chelsea once paid Millwall £500,000 for Sam Walker. We love the giant goalie, but I can't see that being his valuation today. However, I believe that we now get a mandatory £40,000 + compensation for each year that a player has been nurtured in our Academy. ....So what valution Gilbey; Szmodics; Sembie Ferris....and the dozen others that most U'sual Boarders have not yet seen....that's shrewed business by Robbie Cowling...... and there is more to follow I suspect.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 10:34]
Jabo returns... on 19:48 - Jan 14 with 570 viewsbwildered

Let's not forget Noah, historically home grown talent had been lacking over several years, with Greg Halford being the exception, and getting youngsters into the first team squad actually stopped the progression to the next level of Academy status until last season when under JD several placements where made.
The case of Coker was different, not part of the Academy process, has rightly pointed out came from non league, but seem to recall had been working has a builder during the close season, but his demise was more due to getting injured and thereafter John Ward seemed to lose faith, which we all wondered why ?
Has well has being physically robust a requirement must also to mentally strong and able to concentrate throughout which needs to be learnt in their development.
Would welcome to see more Foley, Leslie, Allinson, Dowman, Groves, Adcock, Grainger, Kinsella Lua Lua and the like make the grade in the very near future .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Jabo returns... on 17:06 - Jan 15 with 515 viewsbwildered

Returning to the header question.

Official statement - Jabo has returned injured, and when recovered with be made available .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Jabo returns... on 20:28 - Jan 15 with 497 viewsdurham_exile

Jabo returns... on 17:06 - Jan 15 by bwildered

Returning to the header question.

Official statement - Jabo has returned injured, and when recovered with be made available .

Jabo will have to mend his differences with TH. After all it was Jabo who asked to go on loan!

He can still do a job for us but who would have to make way for him?

His work rate is phenomenal but lack of goal scoring is the concern.

Up the upwardly mobile U's

Durham_exile

Jabo returns... on 09:59 - Jan 16 with 467 viewsLeadbelly

Article in the EADT today says the club will be looking at another loan or permanent transfer for Jabo. Even though he is training at the club it doesn't sound as if there is much prospect of his playing for the for us again.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Jabo returns... on 15:16 - Jan 16 with 438 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Jabo returns... on 19:48 - Jan 14 by bwildered

Let's not forget Noah, historically home grown talent had been lacking over several years, with Greg Halford being the exception, and getting youngsters into the first team squad actually stopped the progression to the next level of Academy status until last season when under JD several placements where made.
The case of Coker was different, not part of the Academy process, has rightly pointed out came from non league, but seem to recall had been working has a builder during the close season, but his demise was more due to getting injured and thereafter John Ward seemed to lose faith, which we all wondered why ?
Has well has being physically robust a requirement must also to mentally strong and able to concentrate throughout which needs to be learnt in their development.
Would welcome to see more Foley, Leslie, Allinson, Dowman, Groves, Adcock, Grainger, Kinsella Lua Lua and the like make the grade in the very near future .

Cousins, White, Guy and Wordsworth came through our youth system and they all played numerous times for the U's. I'd imagine players like Lua Lua and Halford come along very rarely for League One and Two clubs.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024