Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers 09:34 - Dec 24 with 1528 viewsdurham_exile

Kevin Keen and his assistant David Wright took over on Monday and on Boxing Day encounter a local derby against the Shrimpers.

Unseasonal mild weather may have closed one Winter Wonderland, but the WHCS is definitely open for business.

A match that sees the return to Colchester of Johnny White, David Mooney, Ben Coker and Sian Bolger. White still only 29 played 255 games for the U’s. Southend are also having a decent season back in league one under Phil (Orange) Brown and saw off the Shakers last week.

Additionally, a recent Boxing Day poll on games played against all opposition sees our opponents in 34th place with 29 wins out of 72 matches whilst the U’s are in 90th place with 15 wins out of 52 games played. So much for the stats and records that are there to be broken!

Now a tasty festive match will be all the Merrier with a near full house at the WHCS. Where is Jamie Cureton when you need him?

KK’s first big call is the Goalkeeper after Jamie Jones return to PNE. I think that Elliott Parish will get the nod over youngsters Dillon Barnes and James Bransgrove.

Sam Walker’s new two-year contract will have given the club a big lift. The 8ft 6ins shot stopper has been sorely missed this season!

Sordell, Szmodics, Garvan and Ambrose are all out and so KK options are slightly limited. However, he will strengthen the defence by the inclusion of Kane Vincent-Young.

Team:

Parish

Brindley Kent Eastman Vincent-Young

Gilbey Moncur Edwards

Harriott Porter Massey

Subs:
Barnes Elokobi Briggs Lapslie Sembie-Ferris Bonne Wright

This is a match that requires no motivation, a derby where the bragging rights are up for grabs. League position is immaterial, it is all about the 90 mins on the day and which team wants it more. Colchester owe their supporters a performance, KK will be looking to get off to the best possible start as Manager.

The opportunity to be reunited with old friends (fiends) will spur both sets of players, let us hope that we finish the game with 22 players remaining on the field of play.

A decent playing surface will allow for a feisty affair and I envisage the U’s prevailing in a tight match.

Safe journey to the faithful (some public transport will be affected by engineering works) and good luck to KK as he begins the task of rebuilding the club. A derby victory will be the encouragement needed before the Priestfield clash against high flyers Gillingham.

Enjoy the game.

Merry Christmas

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 09:55 - Dec 24 with 1519 viewsLeadbelly

Regarding public transport...there are no trains at all and no buses either, at least on my route from Lawford.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 11:57 - Dec 24 with 1497 viewsburnsieespana

Good luck to KK, DW and Col U but sadly can't see anything but a heavy defeat to a team who have done well over last few months combined with our injury situation, poor defence and second choice goalkeeper.
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:10 - Dec 24 with 1490 viewsdurham_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 11:57 - Dec 24 by burnsieespana

Good luck to KK, DW and Col U but sadly can't see anything but a heavy defeat to a team who have done well over last few months combined with our injury situation, poor defence and second choice goalkeeper.

burnsie - Merry Christmas.

Keep the faith, Christmas is a time for miracles!

3-0 COL U

Up the U's

Durham_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 23:07 - Dec 25 with 1418 viewsgerry_us

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:10 - Dec 24 by durham_exile

burnsie - Merry Christmas.

Keep the faith, Christmas is a time for miracles!

3-0 COL U

Up the U's

SOLD OUT. Brilliant atmosphere at the WHCS and hopefully a good result for the new boss. Just sorry I can't make it down.
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 01:07 - Dec 26 with 1401 viewsBarsidepete

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 23:07 - Dec 25 by gerry_us

SOLD OUT. Brilliant atmosphere at the WHCS and hopefully a good result for the new boss. Just sorry I can't make it down.

Seriously? Would that be the first ever sellout at the WHCS?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 08:15 - Dec 26 with 1379 viewsnoah4x4

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 01:07 - Dec 26 by Barsidepete

Seriously? Would that be the first ever sellout at the WHCS?

Pete; we previously sold out in a league game versus Norwich City, but lost 0-5, in a match that should never have been played as there was standing water all over the pitch. But we won 7-6 on aggregate!

I think it significant that this year Boxing Day matches fall on a Saturday and the Xmas break creates a particularly 'long weekend' with Sunday and Monday as trailing days of work absence for many. People can hence 'shop' (e.g take back unwanted gifts!) on those later days.
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 14:58 - Dec 26 with 1340 viewsdurham_exile

Biggest game of the season just moments away.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 17:06 - Dec 26 with 1333 viewsdurham_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 14:58 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Biggest game of the season just moments away.

Up the U's

Att 9,222 including 2,500 Scummend.
Capacity 10,050, did segregation play a part in the numbers disparity?

Disappointing result but some encouraging signs!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 17:07 - Dec 26 with 1333 viewsthrillseeker

Oh dear.

Too depressed to comment further after losing to Seaweed
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 19:11 - Dec 26 with 1287 viewsGate16

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 17:06 - Dec 26 by durham_exile

Att 9,222 including 2,500 Scummend.
Capacity 10,050, did segregation play a part in the numbers disparity?

Disappointing result but some encouraging signs!

Up the U's

There was a complete section in the East stand left empty (around 200 seats) as a blank between Southend fans and ours. I was in the West stand and there were seats dotted all around that were empty. Can only think people paid but then did not travel for whatever reason. We looked a more solid unit than of late but having seen the second goal I am sure KK is under no illusion about the magnitude of his task. Thought he spoke like a Manager who understands the role the fans play post-match when he spoke so well of the support and implored the fans to stay behind the team.
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 20:48 - Dec 26 with 1252 viewsbwildered

Presents aplenty by the U's, failing to clear their lines for the first and being caught in possession at the back for the second . Never got on top after a bright start, KK must now know how big the task ahead is to keep then out of the bottom four .
Top priority is a leader centre half, might still just get us out of trouble.
Winter Wonderland might now be closed, but Winter Blunderland is very much still open.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 23:26 - Dec 26 with 1184 viewswessex_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 19:11 - Dec 26 by Gate16

There was a complete section in the East stand left empty (around 200 seats) as a blank between Southend fans and ours. I was in the West stand and there were seats dotted all around that were empty. Can only think people paid but then did not travel for whatever reason. We looked a more solid unit than of late but having seen the second goal I am sure KK is under no illusion about the magnitude of his task. Thought he spoke like a Manager who understands the role the fans play post-match when he spoke so well of the support and implored the fans to stay behind the team.

Up until end of yesterday, both Col U and Southend forums were reporting a sell-out, with (I believe) about 500 seats overall taken up by the netting. I guess, as is probably always the case, some never quite made it to the game for one reason or another?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:00 - Dec 27 with 1118 viewsburnsieespana

Anybody tell me how many points we had at this stage last year?
Sadly I can't see an escape this year unless 1st Jan KK gets in a really good centre half.
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:05 - Dec 27 with 1115 viewsBarsidepete

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:00 - Dec 27 by burnsieespana

Sadly I can't see an escape this year unless 1st Jan KK gets in a really good centre half.

It's not been a horrific year.

Just need to pick up 1 or 3 points here and there.

Unlike other seasons, I don't feel worried.

This is merely about getting a win here or there.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 13:23 - Dec 27 with 1098 viewsLeadbelly

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:00 - Dec 27 by burnsieespana

After 23 games last season stats were as follows:

W5 D6 L12 F28 A43 GD -15

At the same point this season:

W5 D5 L12 F33 A57 GD -24

Not a great deal of difference in the results but we're conceding 2.48 goals per game this season which is much worse than last season at 1.87 goals per game.

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 13:39 - Dec 27 with 1090 viewsLeadbelly

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 12:05 - Dec 27 by Barsidepete

It's not been a horrific year.

Just need to pick up 1 or 3 points here and there.

Unlike other seasons, I don't feel worried.

This is merely about getting a win here or there.

I've seen every home game so far and it has been horrific in parts.

We are bottom of the league having conceded more goals than any other club in the top four divisions. We have the worst goal difference in League 1 and have won just one league game in three months. We have taken 4 points from the last 39 available.

If none of the above worries you then you are a lucky man. A point or three along the way may be enough but I'm struggling to see where they are coming from at the moment. Keen has a massive task on his hands from back to front and if he can find a quick fix I'll be amazed.

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 15:21 - Dec 27 with 1063 viewsBlueStripes

I think it's pretty obvious now, even to the most blinkered Col U fan, that the club will be going down this season. This team just isn't good enough at this level (and I think they'll struggle in League 2 as well, unless Keen carries out some drastic changes next season!) A heavy defeat at Gillingham tomorrow followed by another loss to fellow relegation candidates Oldham next Saturday will just about seal our fate. I will be surprised if Col U finishes any higher than they are at present - rock bottom!

The alarm bells have been ringing for the past 4 season now, with Col U narrowly escaping relegation each time and nothing has been done to try and halt the decline. A succession of third rate managers have been appointed and a ridiculous emphasis has been placed on developing youngsters who, quite frankly have not been good enough for first team football at League 1 level. Let's face it, any talented youngster is not going to sign for Colchester Utd when there are bigger clubs within striking distance with far better facilities and training than this club can offer!

I welcomed the appointment of Keen, if only because he's an outsider (assuming Cowling will let him get on with the job without any interference!) but I think he will have to be judged on how he performs next season in League 2 because this season is already beyond repair.
KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 16:04 - Dec 27 with 1047 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Weren't Leicester bottom of the Premier League last Christmas? Seems to have turned out okay for them so far.

I don't know why so many people on here and condemning us to relegation. It's only December and it's not like we've been cut adrift at the bottom. I'm still confident we'll be in League One for the 2016/17 season. Things can change very, very quickly in football. Ask Jose.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 16:14 - Dec 27 with 1041 viewswessex_exile

KK's COL U to enjoy WHCS Winter Wonderland victory against Shrimpers on 16:04 - Dec 27 by RSCOSWORTH

Weren't Leicester bottom of the Premier League last Christmas? Seems to have turned out okay for them so far.

I don't know why so many people on here and condemning us to relegation. It's only December and it's not like we've been cut adrift at the bottom. I'm still confident we'll be in League One for the 2016/17 season. Things can change very, very quickly in football. Ask Jose.

There are certainly more than enough points to play for - and who knows, with all of the January transfer window to make use of, Keen certainly has the chance - provided he has the courage to make some tough decisions, and extort a fistful of cash from Robbie in the process?

I still believe we can escape this, I still believe we're better than our position would suggest, but time is running out - and at the end of the day, the table actually really doesn't lie after all.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024