Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50 years on . 18:17 - Jul 29 with 526 viewsbwildered

Fifty years on from England's World Cup win, where did it all go wrong ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

50 years on . on 19:09 - Jul 29 with 521 viewsLeadbelly

Perhaps we should ask "what do other countries do right?"

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

50 years on . on 23:30 - Jul 29 with 498 viewsgerry_us

50 years on . on 19:09 - Jul 29 by Leadbelly

Perhaps we should ask "what do other countries do right?"

1966. Ahhh!
It would be interesting to know how many foreign players were playing in the old First Division then. Not many I suspect,
That may give us an idea of the gradual reduction of good English players available for the national team today.
50 years on . on 00:05 - Jul 30 with 491 viewsLeadbelly

50 years on . on 23:30 - Jul 29 by gerry_us

1966. Ahhh!
It would be interesting to know how many foreign players were playing in the old First Division then. Not many I suspect,
That may give us an idea of the gradual reduction of good English players available for the national team today.

Albert Johanneson played for Leeds Utd between 1960 and 1970. He was South African and the first black player to represent the club.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

50 years on . on 00:47 - Jul 30 with 487 viewspwrightsknees

Bert Trautmann (Germany) played for Manchester City, of course. And the Chilean brothers George and Ted Robledo both played for Newcastle in the early 1950s.

Don't forget, too, that Hungary - the "Magnificent Magyars"- had peaked in the mid-1950s and, like England a decade later, they never again reached great heights, either. Although, in their case, it probably had something to do with the 1956 uprising and the loss of players like Ferenc Puskas to the national team.
50 years on . on 12:46 - Jul 30 with 468 viewswessex_exile

50 years on . on 23:30 - Jul 29 by gerry_us

1966. Ahhh!

Personally, I don't buy the too many foreign players argument - in a country of 53 million we should surely be able to find a squad good enough to challenge the world? Iceland managed it with the population of Leicester. The prima donna culture of our elite players, their apparent lack of any real passion or pride in wearing the three lions, and some very average managers is probably closer to the truth. That being said, there is in my opinion a case for arguing the lack of opportunities for English football managers at the top level damages our national game - though I'm actually not personally bothered what the nationality of our England manager is .

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

50 years on . on 14:19 - Jul 30 with 462 viewsFruitbat

I see they've started banging on about a winter break again. Lack thereof didn't appear to hamper Wales to any great extent did it? Even if we had one, you know damn well that all the PL sides would just bugger off to the far east or America to play shirt selling games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024