Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Made in Colchester" 07:44 - Jun 10 with 1229 viewsnoah4x4

I have hardly missed a home game in 13 years and yet I had never heard of this excellent DVD until this week. It chronicles much of the history of Layer Road; and Colchester. Some great old football clips including Leeds.

Asking around my pub, it seems to have escaped the notice of many other current fans too; perhaps because its original retail price was £18. I found a copy in a waste bin during a property clearance!

If you have not seen this; do obtain a copy. Wonderful memories; beautifully put together, great music from 'Absent Kid' and still available but at a more affordable price.

http://www.cufcretail.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=theclubshop_cufc&state=

[Post edited 10 Jun 2015 7:50]
"Made in Colchester" on 12:01 - Jun 10 with 1187 viewspwrightsknees

Well done, Noah. I've just ordered a copy.
"Made in Colchester" on 16:20 - Jun 10 with 1168 viewsFruitbat

Its a really impressive piece of film making and not one of your average sporting docimentarie. Even Mrs F sat through it and commented approvingly.

Bwildered is in one of the crowd scenes but I was just out of shot!
"Made in Colchester" on 19:08 - Jun 10 with 1153 viewsjonestones

Are you on commission noah?
"Made in Colchester" on 19:58 - Jun 10 with 1144 viewsFruitbat

"Made in Colchester" on 16:20 - Jun 10 by Fruitbat

Its a really impressive piece of film making and not one of your average sporting docimentarie. Even Mrs F sat through it and commented approvingly.

Bwildered is in one of the crowd scenes but I was just out of shot!

What the hell is a "docimentarie"? Does nobody proof read this rubbish?
"Made in Colchester" on 20:36 - Jun 10 with 1139 viewswessex_exile

I was bought this when it first came out, and it really is quite good - certainly not your average football docimentarie at all...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

(No subject) on 00:44 - Jun 11 with 1111 viewsBarsidepete

"Made in Colchester" on 20:36 - Jun 10 by wessex_exile

I was bought this when it first came out, and it really is quite good - certainly not your average football docimentarie at all...

I have it! ..

You know where you do that "Why does that sound familiar?" It happened. I knew I had it, the 2008, it was a gift and it's amazing. This one came with the multi-folded glossy brochure, excellent personal insight for each chapter.

Highly recommended.

had to edit the word 'each' (chapter). There are 65 chapters. 138 minutes total. Love it.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2015 0:47]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

(No subject) on 08:15 - Jun 11 with 1081 viewsnoah4x4

"Made in Colchester" on 19:08 - Jun 10 by jonestones

Are you on commission noah?

Don't be silly/cynical; the U's can't afford enough new players yet alone pay movie executives and even if I was paid I would donate it to the DEC Nepal Appeal.

No, the truth is I simply found this DVD in a pile of junk and thought I would salvage a copy. Given that I had not heard of it; I thought then so might many others; hence my posting. The fact that it's since been pinned to the top is probably sharp work by the U's Marketing Team (which proves that they do read the drivel we post!).

A couple have highly critical pals have since commented that there was "not enough football"; "too many cobwebs and rusty "drain pipes" and "too many town/car scenes" - but when have some U's fans not had something to moan about? I suspect that surviving film of the U's in action prior to the 1980s is limited and after that the broadcasting rights are owned by TV and unaffordable by local movie makers. But what it offers is quality.

Whilst the video offers many happy memories, when I look back at the cobwebs, the rust and decay of Layer Road, it simply makes me proud of WHCS. Are some today simply choosing to ignore the reality (e.g. Layer Road was ready to fall down and probably dangerous by today's H & S standards)? When I view the huge crowds in the 1950's and even later at U's versus Chelmsford & Wivenhoe Town; it tells me an interesting story of social change; about the impact of TV; the Taylor Report and all seater stadiums; perhaps even about the liberation/equality of women; and the advent of other Saturday afternoon distractions sometimes under such influence (thanks Mrs Noah for not dragging me 'shopping' or to the 'beach'). Nobody ever connected with the U's will have a dry eye during chapter 60. Hopefully the 400 children of Hamilton School didn't grow up to become Ipswich or West Ham supporters! Let's hear from them today?

I think if people now view this DVD today so many years after vacating Layer Road we might have a jolly good debate. Hence my original posting and some deliberately provocative comments above. Happy memories yes, but surely nobody would ever want to go back to Layer Road's decrepid buildings now (albeit that the pitch looked better)?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2015 8:21]
"Made in Colchester" on 08:32 - Jun 11 with 1077 viewsnoah4x4

Oh, maybe it hasn't been pinned....

So maybe the U's marketing team don't read this forum...

Ho Hum..at least proves I am not an 'insider'!
Login to get fewer ads

"Made in Colchester" on 19:39 - Jun 11 with 1042 viewsLeadbelly

"Made in Colchester" on 19:58 - Jun 10 by Fruitbat

What the hell is a "docimentarie"? Does nobody proof read this rubbish?

I thought you were adopting some form of Franglais there.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024