Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? 09:26 - Feb 8 with 533 viewsnoah4x4

The Football League have just said that they won't entertain Keith Harris's bid at this late juncture (BTW; did he really make so much money out of that green duck and being a duff ventriloquist - maybe the wrong one - but I digress).

Pompey hence face expulsion from the Football league if the Portsmouth Supporters Trust bid doesn't succeed and they fail to come out of administration before the season's end.

My perspective (and I hope I am wrong) is that the present owners/administrators might possibly welcome liquidation, and hence the huge area of land around Fratton Park could profitably sold for development. I was delighted to make my donation to the PST at £0.10 per pint in the Shepherd's Crook to help them (and I gave very generously).

Currently perceptions are that Pompey will simply lose ten points and face inevitable relegation. But what if they did 'die' before season's end and face expulsion with incomplete fixtures? If the PST bid isn't successful, surely there will be an obligation upon the administrators to cut their losses ASAP and pull the plug? One might obviously expect "three down and four up" (we hope!).

However, what if the consequence was that ALL points gained versus Pompey in 2012-13 were expunged? The U's have taken four points of Pompey from two fixtures.
Oldham 3 points from 1 fixture.
Scunthorpe 3 from 2
Shrewsbury 0 from 1
Bury 3 from 1
Hartlepool 3 from 1

So if expulsion happened today, the U's would be disadvantaged by the greatest deduction, but since all others below us lose three, we don't slip below our current table position. However, Oldham, Bury and Hartlepool all have a better average points per game than us versus Pompey (3 versus 2), so I reckon they would mathematically be hit the hardest as a proportion of TOTAL games overall. But the difference is fairly marginal until you consider this in conjunction with the remaining Pompey fixtures;

Pompey have four remaining fixtures against bottom seven sides {Hartlepool (a), Oldham (a), Bury (h), Shrewsbury (a)}. Here, one might expect the advantage to be with the home sides. But if these games didn't take place (or such points expunged), that again throws some advantage in the U's favour.

I have mentioned before that there are so many of these 'six pointers' outstanding involving the bottom seven sides (e.g. other than the U's) that we must be better placed than the table suggests, as we can't conceed any further points to four of them. Yes, we now do have to win some games against mid table sides, but we also have the fewest number of top teams to play (and notably few away).

It seems perverse, as we all want Pompey to survive (as their supporters and hospitality is wonderful). But if they did fail, and such were points expunged, it might do us a favour. It avoids Hartlepool, Oldham, Bury and Shrewsbury getting another three points from them. But even if they do all play each other in this mini league below us, one would expect some sharing/trading of points. I hence feel we are actually a little better positioned than the league table suggests.

Roll on Preston - which I think is a MUST win (and surely we can?).

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 10:23 - Feb 8 with 521 viewswessex_exile

I'm sure I read somewhere that if Pompey complete more than 75% of the fixture list, their results up to that point stand? That means 35 matches, or 5 more games to go...

...or have I made that up - can't find any clarification via google?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 10:58 - Feb 8 with 516 viewsnoah4x4

Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 10:23 - Feb 8 by wessex_exile

I'm sure I read somewhere that if Pompey complete more than 75% of the fixture list, their results up to that point stand? That means 35 matches, or 5 more games to go...

...or have I made that up - can't find any clarification via google?

Wessex, you may be right, but I think that would provoke outrage from those clubs still to play Pompey as most might believe they could get an easy three points.

It could leave some clubs having played 46 games and others merely 45 (or even 44). Surely that could have unfair impact on both promotion and relegation?

I don't see how the FA can avoid expunging all points and rendering all Pompey games void should they fail before the season's end with incompleted fixtures.

I too have Googled 'what happens if a football league team fails having incomplete fixtures' and I can't find any precedent. But it's staggering to see that 57 clubs have fallen into 'Administration' and most seem to have somehow walked away from their debts (usually the tax man) restructured and survived!

The unique Pompey situation of a double dose of administration; potentially straddling multiple seasons whilst still in adminstration does seems to be uncharted territory....!

Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 20:57 - Feb 8 with 492 viewsdurham_exile

A well reasoned argument Noah.
Pompey will survive and will be docked 10 points and will go down.

Colchester will continue to climb away from the relegation zone and to mid table obscurity!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 10:47 - Feb 11 with 458 viewsburnsieespana

Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 10:58 - Feb 8 by noah4x4

Wessex, you may be right, but I think that would provoke outrage from those clubs still to play Pompey as most might believe they could get an easy three points.

It could leave some clubs having played 46 games and others merely 45 (or even 44). Surely that could have unfair impact on both promotion and relegation?

I don't see how the FA can avoid expunging all points and rendering all Pompey games void should they fail before the season's end with incompleted fixtures.

I too have Googled 'what happens if a football league team fails having incomplete fixtures' and I can't find any precedent. But it's staggering to see that 57 clubs have fallen into 'Administration' and most seem to have somehow walked away from their debts (usually the tax man) restructured and survived!

The unique Pompey situation of a double dose of administration; potentially straddling multiple seasons whilst still in adminstration does seems to be uncharted territory....!

I seem to think Aldershot were the last side to be liquidated but think that was after the season end and the last side to go during the season was I think Accrington Stanley and when they went the points, goals, etc were simply removed from the records so I assume this is what would happen if Portsmouth go during the season.
Money to keep going doesn't seem the real issue so assume they will complete all fixtures and then if they are liquidated another side will be promoted into the second division from the Blue Square.
Portsmouth may face expulsion - ramifications for U's? on 13:20 - Feb 11 with 448 viewsLeadbelly

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20120702/section-3-the-league_22936

Cessation of membership - Full explanation on the link but, in summary of clause 12.2.1, if a club ceases to be a member of the Football League during the season it's playing record is expunged and the number of relegation places is reduced by one.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024