Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Posh to be undone by upper class U's 14:35 - Oct 25 with 780 viewsdurham_exile

And the games come thick and fast with Peterbore in town this weekend. Riding high in League One, but wait a minute they were poor in the Championship last season and were relegated on the last day when several others sides were close to the drop.

However they started the season like a team on fire and scored goals for fun. Whilst the goals have begun to dry up, they do at least know where the net is and managed 5 against the U’s in the capital one cup at the WHCS.

At least our goals have not dried up because we haven’t been scoring many! In fact the team should be told that we can score more than one in a match and this is the weekend to do it.

In the league at Colchester, the Posh have not fared as well and it is this indifferent form that we must capitalise on this Saturday.

JD has:

David Wright
Tom Eastman
Josh Thompson
Mason Spence
Daniel Pappoe
Drey Wright
Sanchez Watt
Freddie Sears

All unavailable and possibly sadly also Jabo Ibehre.

Now whilst I can be accused of viewing anything Col U through blue and white tinted specs, I have to say that Daniel Pappoe should be packed off back to Chelsea.
He arrived with a dodgy injury record and was quickly injured and returned to Chelsea for treatment. Upon his return he languished in the reserves and I finally saw him arrive as a very late substitute at Bradford City. He certainly looks the part. Big, powerful, muscular and a non-nonsense footballer.

Unfortunately if he was on piece work or a zero hours contract, he would starve because he just can’t play enough football.

He lasted 6 minutes at Valley parade before fouling somebody called Mark Yeates. Now he should have received a medal for that but he was quickly shown the red card and immediately faced a three match ban.

Upon his return he has been injured again. I’m sorry but enough is enough, back to the bridge for him and quick.

Frankly the injury situation is the worst that I have known in over 41 years of supporting Colchester United.

Players these days are supposed to be fitter, with improved training techniques, better diet and sports science coaches monitoring performance. Poor Tony Flynn and Dave Carolan must be hoping for a winter break of about 2 months to restore some of the players to better health.

The serious point about all of this is that it is beginning to become an excuse for poor results and an opportunity for the U’s to feel sorry for themselves.

JD obviously wishes he could play:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Eastman Dickson

Bean Eastmond

Watt Massey

Ibehre Sears

But that seems like a distant dream at present!

Now some shrewd loan signings have been made; Garbutt, Lee, Monakana and Bolger and of course Taylor has been reclaimed by Parky and this leaves JD with more youngsters than you can shake a stick and a great man once opined that you will never win anything with kids!

Indeed Ladapo, Szmodics, Gilbey, Wright (Drey), Olufemi, Bonne, Sanderson, will all have their day but at the moment JD must meld a mix of youth and experience to end the winless streak and secure some momentum (from the uninjured players at his disposal).

With Watt and Wright (Drey) back after Christmas we can once again enjoy life but points are needed and quickly. 13 from 13 is not survival form.

Noah thinks no win before Tranmere (30 Nov) and few would bet against such an outcome. However, the Posh were frustrated against the Shrews and scraped a 1-0 and then played out a 0-0 draw in midweek against the Blades, could it be that JD can conjure up a vital win this weekend. I think yes he can.

It will be difficult however Darren Ferguson will have Britt Assombalonga and Lee Tomlin back. He will also have Tommy Rowe, Tyrone Barnett and others champing at the bit but I think they are vulnerable, but we must put them on the back foot from the outset.

So JD will line up something like this in a 4-4-2 formation:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Bolger Garbutt

Monakana Eastmond Bean Massey

Lee Ladapo

Subs:

Phillips, Dickson, Olufemi, Bond, Gilbey, Szmodics, Bonne

Of course if Jabo Ibehre is fit then Ladapo would make way.

So a difficult match and the Posh will bring about 1000 supporters but with belief and desire we can be the supporters celebrating at 4.50pm on Saturday.

Young Elliot Lee on his home debut and a screamer from Monakana in a 2-1 home win.

Time for my meds!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 14:56 - Oct 25 with 775 viewsnoah4x4

Keep taking the happy pills Durham...I hope your predictions are right!

Watching replays of the last few games; it has struck me how many opposition goals have been scored because Craig Eastmond and Marcus Bean have lost the ball during intricate passing movements with almost zero defensive cover behind them. Without David Wright PLUS a back four we become really exposed; albeit that when the midfield do it well we look good. But we are too prone to losing the ball in dangerous positions playing the passing game. Not saying we stop passing; simply that we calculate better.

I would like to see Joe Dunne play two wide men that can get to the by-line and simply hammer in low crosses for Lee; Lapado (and whoever) to get on the end of IN THE BOX; even own goals will do from ricochets. Let's stop trying to walk the ball into goal down the middle with over intricate football.

Being radical (e.g. given the circumstances); how about Dickson at left full back and playing Garbutt (our best wide man that can hit crosses) further ahead of him in midfield? Given that Gilbey ended up at full back on Tuesday; it pretty clear we need innovative solutions.
Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 15:19 - Oct 25 with 766 viewsLeadbelly

I applaud the optimism, Durham. Not sure how you maintain it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 17:46 - Oct 25 with 744 viewsdurham_exile

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 15:19 - Oct 25 by Leadbelly

I applaud the optimism, Durham. Not sure how you maintain it.

The law of averages dictates that we must begin to turn things around.

What really disappointed me was reading the match reports after the Wolves game. The Times just happened to feature our game in "The Game"supplement on the following Monday.

Colchester were described as allowing Wolves to secure an easy victory. I think that really hurt and it should have hurt the players as well. The WHCS is far from a fortress and it is time that we started to turn things around at home.

Wins have been few and far between. It is not just the lack of goals, after all Arsenal haven't done badly over the years with a scoreline of 1-0 to the Arsenal, but Colchester seem almost impotent at home.

Personally I like the ground although I wish the corners had been filled in, to reduce the cold and the strong winds that whistle around the stadium.

Attendances will improve but only when results pick up.

This should start tomorrow.

Colchester should play with no fear tomorrow and take the game to the Posh.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 18:09 - Oct 25 with 739 viewsBluenWightExile

Yes Durham they can play with no fear........but how sad to see us approach a home game like that. Nothing to lose because we're expected to lose!?
We almost sound in a defeatist position already.

The Cuckoo Farm stadium's alright I guess but I too wish the corners were filled in.
It has never been a fortress and I do not believe the organisation that is CUFC is "there" yet. Takes time.

Our young inexperienced squad will either learn fast or flop trying. Joe is on that knife edge as he has been since the start of the season when he put together a relatively experience-free squad. I felt then that realistically this looked like a struggle but that at least we'd play decent football. The latter was so but now, strangled by failure for 13 games, it is predictably dissipating too.

Yes, it will turn round as you say and I am sticking to my hope at the season start that we will avoid another relegation battle. That depends upon how soon the turn round you mention begins.
They need your motivational optimism Durham.........do they get any of that from Mr Cowling or Sheedy I wonder.
We will never know but I feel for Joe who is doing what he can with integrity.
Time will tell if that and what these youngsters do will be enough.

Another dumping from the Cup won't help us either. I hope we get Orient away or something. No pressure then.
At the mo' Joe seems to be under all the pressure..........our team on the pitch is largely loanees for whom CUFC means little - merely a game or two they can't get at home. I'm not sure how good that is for us. Monakana's goal aside it doesn't seem too effective just yet.

Noah's Tranmere prediction is looking ever more accurate. By then we'll be in the bottom four though.....

Up the U's - like Whalers I'd gladly take another draw tomorrow - 0-0 perhaps as I have not felt we'd score for two or three seasons now, we just haven't the right mix up front.

Pinault-noir

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 18:46 - Oct 25 with 732 viewsSuffolkPosh

"I think they are vulnerable"

Why ?
Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 21:29 - Oct 25 with 701 viewsdurham_exile

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 18:46 - Oct 25 by SuffolkPosh

"I think they are vulnerable"

Why ?

Suffolk - why vulnerable you ask - I'll keep you in the game, but I'm not going to throw it for you.

Posh have won only 7 out of 32 games at Colchester and you probably recall that Colchester won 2-1 the last time we played you in the league in 2011.

We are due a win and you are due another defeat.

Your biggest mistake is to be complacent, possibly condescending, smug and opinionated.

Enjoy the game but not the result.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 13:56 - Oct 26 with 671 viewsSuffolkPosh

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 21:29 - Oct 25 by durham_exile

Suffolk - why vulnerable you ask - I'll keep you in the game, but I'm not going to throw it for you.

Posh have won only 7 out of 32 games at Colchester and you probably recall that Colchester won 2-1 the last time we played you in the league in 2011.

We are due a win and you are due another defeat.

Your biggest mistake is to be complacent, possibly condescending, smug and opinionated.

Enjoy the game but not the result.

Up the U's

Wow what a bizarre response.

"Your biggest mistake is to be complacent, possibly condescending, smug and opinionated."

Where did you get this from, it's not from me just asking you to qualify your statement "they are vunerable".

You talk about history but what about recent history which is far more relevent. You mention a league result back in 2011 but not the 5-1 defeat this year. Oh that's because it was a cup game and not in the league and therefore of no relevance. Surely a more recent game is more relevant with players currently in both teams rather than teams with players nolonger involved.

"We are due a win and you are due another defeat."

This does not explain why we "are vunerable", this merely explains your bizare logic that provides you with optimisim.

You have yet to qualify your statement and doubt you will. You really are strange one.
Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 14:03 - Oct 26 with 667 viewsBarsidepete

I believe that's why they play the games and Posh won't be merely handed the golden ticket upwards.

PBoro are chronic underachievers and can't foresee that changing today.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Login to get fewer ads

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 14:04 - Oct 26 with 664 viewsSuffolkPosh

"Riding high in League One, but wait a minute they were poor in the Championship last season and were relegated on the last day when several others sides were close to the drop."

yes we started of poor losing our first 7 games and were not much better leading upto Christmas. However after our form after Christmas would have put as near a play-off place. We bridged a big gap and almost completed the great escape. We actually were staying up with 7 minutes to go leading the now premiership Cyrstal Palace 2-1. However in typically Posh fashion we conceded two late goals and were deservingly relegated. We were however relegated with a record number of points.

You contradict because if we were so poor last season how come they were several others sides close to the drop ???.
Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 16:08 - Oct 26 with 646 viewsBarsidepete

0-0 HT,.. an impressive 800 or so visiting the Wessie. All to play for;)

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 16:57 - Oct 26 with 639 viewsBarsidepete

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 14:04 - Oct 26 by SuffolkPosh

"Riding high in League One, but wait a minute they were poor in the Championship last season and were relegated on the last day when several others sides were close to the drop."

yes we started of poor losing our first 7 games and were not much better leading upto Christmas. However after our form after Christmas would have put as near a play-off place. We bridged a big gap and almost completed the great escape. We actually were staying up with 7 minutes to go leading the now premiership Cyrstal Palace 2-1. However in typically Posh fashion we conceded two late goals and were deservingly relegated. We were however relegated with a record number of points.

You contradict because if we were so poor last season how come they were several others sides close to the drop ???.

One to frickin nil. Have a nice day!

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 17:20 - Oct 26 with 634 viewsSuffolkPosh

Well done on your win.

Not sure why you have the smilie. I did not come on here shouting that Posh would win, blah, blah, blah. the only thing i have done is ask someone to qualify a couple of statements and somehow that makes you think I'm a troll.

Your a very sensitive bunch.

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 17:39 - Oct 26 with 629 viewsBarsidepete

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 17:20 - Oct 26 by SuffolkPosh

Well done on your win.

Not sure why you have the smilie. I did not come on here shouting that Posh would win, blah, blah, blah. the only thing i have done is ask someone to qualify a couple of statements and somehow that makes you think I'm a troll.

Your a very sensitive bunch.

Cheers mate. Well fought game. We are a nice and sensitive bunch. Good luck in the remainder. Please defeat all the clubs below us here on out

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 18:07 - Oct 26 with 622 viewsSuffolkPosh

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 17:39 - Oct 26 by Barsidepete

Cheers mate. Well fought game. We are a nice and sensitive bunch. Good luck in the remainder. Please defeat all the clubs below us here on out

Your definately leading the table for most sensitive fans.

Preston have you beat for most deluded but only just but most of your points came largely from Durham who I suspect is on medication.
Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 20:42 - Oct 26 with 592 viewsBarsidepete

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 18:07 - Oct 26 by SuffolkPosh

Your definately leading the table for most sensitive fans.

Preston have you beat for most deluded but only just but most of your points came largely from Durham who I suspect is on medication.

Sometimes we outsource our intelligence;)

Posh to be undone by upper class U's on 21:26 - Oct 31 with 528 viewsdurham_exile

No disrespect to Daniel Pappoe but the club have done the right thing in packing him off to Chelsea.

6 minutes of football, a red card, poor injury record.

Loan him to Southend.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024