Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A better squad than last season ? 17:04 - Aug 6 with 1270 viewsprogressfan

Although the 'Riga revolution'is currently still work in progress and later than fans would have liked , I do believe on paper this squad is shaping up to be far better than last year. We obviously need to see more of the new players before a realistic judgement can be made on the stength and depth of the squad but looking at the pedigree of some the signings it does feel that the majority of last years squad exit are no great loss to us.

However the time needed to gel the team together remains a worry but given the team can get through the process quickly as well as a few more good signings, just maybe, we should start feeling a little more optimistic for next season . UTMP.
A better squad than last season ? on 17:07 - Aug 6 with 1258 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I agree with most of that, the key phrase being :shaping up",

I'm a bit less worried about the gelling issue, as a lot of the players we are now signing have been at the club and training with us for a while. We'll soon know ho well that has worked - or not.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

A better squad than last season ? on 17:14 - Aug 6 with 1220 viewsGrayth

There's a lot of ifs and buts over the new lads. Miller and Orlandi (if signed) have bad injury records, Miller and Mellis have been accused of having attitude problems, Cubero, Daniels and Oriol are unknown quantities, as Frans will be if he signs. Also Cywka and Delfouneso have never been consistent Championship performers.

It's a statement of the obvious, but it really is too early to judge the squad we're building. It won't be difficult to outshine last year's lot, though the clown at the top will no doubt continue to make it as difficult as possible. We'll see.
A better squad than last season ? on 17:51 - Aug 6 with 1162 viewsWIWJALB

A better squad than last season ? on 17:14 - Aug 6 by Grayth

There's a lot of ifs and buts over the new lads. Miller and Orlandi (if signed) have bad injury records, Miller and Mellis have been accused of having attitude problems, Cubero, Daniels and Oriol are unknown quantities, as Frans will be if he signs. Also Cywka and Delfouneso have never been consistent Championship performers.

It's a statement of the obvious, but it really is too early to judge the squad we're building. It won't be difficult to outshine last year's lot, though the clown at the top will no doubt continue to make it as difficult as possible. We'll see.

Fuller and Gilks are the only 2 quality players we had last season. Lewis and Miller are good replacements. I rated Angel but he was poor under Ince and whilst I thought Riga would give him a go, he clearly wasn't in his first 11 plans. We need a couple of centre backs and some good squad players but I think we are in a better position. The key being Riga and his style of play. Hopefully this will bring some much needed entertainment and positivity back to Bloomfield Road.
A better squad than last season ? on 18:09 - Aug 6 with 1113 viewsbig_bloomers

A better squad than last season ? on 17:51 - Aug 6 by WIWJALB

Fuller and Gilks are the only 2 quality players we had last season. Lewis and Miller are good replacements. I rated Angel but he was poor under Ince and whilst I thought Riga would give him a go, he clearly wasn't in his first 11 plans. We need a couple of centre backs and some good squad players but I think we are in a better position. The key being Riga and his style of play. Hopefully this will bring some much needed entertainment and positivity back to Bloomfield Road.

I think it said it all when we got to the Player of the Season and Matt 'can't get down to my left hand side' Gilks won it. People had short memories last year if they really thought Gilks did well. And the fact that Bishop got anywhere near the most votes was laughable. Yes we have a much better squad .. and a better manager!

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

A better squad than last season ? on 18:18 - Aug 6 with 1101 viewsFiftyShadesOfGrayson

Slightly better squad, but a proper manager and coach this time.

How on earth Oyscum ever stooped to hiring staff like Bob Malcolm etc is beyond me.

Look - it's a tough division, no place for hiding. The weaker teams last season have all gone, Barnsley, Yeovil and been replaced by better clubs. We're starting out playing catch-up in several ways to the rest of the clubs. I think realistically, we should treat avoiding relegation as an achievement. My gut feeling is we'll be in a battle from the off, and might just scrape survival, but it's hard at the moment to see 3 others clubs in a worse state than ours.

Everyone seems to be relaxing because we've actually signed some players - almost as though that in itself is some kind of achievement. We're a football club, players are the essence. Tactics and managerial ability are going to be the key this season, not the player quality, because as we've already seen this close-season, we're not exactly pushing the boat out and the worrying thing for me is the key areas we are short in, ie centre-back and keeper, we've loaned the players.

All loans have a recall clause in them for one reason or another. Even year-long ones. KO has done the bare minimum yet again, he's invested virtually nothing into the playing side of things, bar the wages, and the future isn't going to get any brighter. We'll be going through the same fiasco every summer from now on because it's clear what his policies are.

Mercenary FC - that's us in a nutshell. We'll never see another Keith Southern-type character at the club again, someone who gives 10 years service. We're basically renting a side every year and hoping they come good. Fingers crossed they come good this time around, but for a club who spent 30 years festering in Leagues 1 and 2, KO doesn't half look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to being in the Championship. After all, relegation doesn't affect the business.

"We're the envy of the Skrill conference"

A better squad than last season ? on 18:24 - Aug 6 with 1089 viewsForever_Tangerine

Lewis can't be recalled because he has a view of signing, it's similar to Tom ince's loan to Palace last season.
A better squad than last season ? on 19:44 - Aug 6 with 1057 viewsFY4MIKEH

A better squad than last season ? on 17:07 - Aug 6 by basilrobbiereborn

I agree with most of that, the key phrase being :shaping up",

I'm a bit less worried about the gelling issue, as a lot of the players we are now signing have been at the club and training with us for a while. We'll soon know ho well that has worked - or not.

It's going to take time to gel. That should have been occurring weeks ago, but I feel we are assembling a better squad than last term.
Not going to miss the lot that left.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024