Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anelka 10:19 - Jan 18 with 4172 viewsMr_Rusty

If the reports are true that Zoopla have ordered West Brom to sack Anelka, couldn't Harry make a cheeky bid for him....Probably be cheap as well. A player of that class would tear up the Championship
Anelka on 10:34 - Jan 21 with 1059 viewsElHoop

Anelka on 08:33 - Jan 21 by N12Hoop

Don't think it is as straightforward as that. Whilst it is a risky game having sponsors wield undue influence, they themselves also have a reputation. If my company name was blazened over the shirt of someone who came out with some unacceptable views i'm not sure i'd act differently.
The difficulty however is where you draw the line. If you sponsored a club who signed lee Hughes, Chad Evans, Marlon King and El Hadj Spit wouldn't you start to think about the risk to your image having your name blazened across their shirts?

But Zoopla sponsor the club, not the player. There's a difference. If you sponsor a club and the club acts in an inappropriate manner on a consistent basis then I think that you would be justified in withdrawing your support. If there's a single act which concerns you then surely the appropriate response is to complain to the club and ask that the players are reminded of their responsibility to behave in such a manner that doesn't alienate supporters, sponsors etc.

There's no previous as regards WBA, not that i can think of anyway. It strikes me that Zoopla have overreacted to this one incident, but maybe they were looking for a way out already.
Anelka on 10:45 - Jan 21 with 1040 viewsdaveB

Anelka on 10:34 - Jan 21 by ElHoop

But Zoopla sponsor the club, not the player. There's a difference. If you sponsor a club and the club acts in an inappropriate manner on a consistent basis then I think that you would be justified in withdrawing your support. If there's a single act which concerns you then surely the appropriate response is to complain to the club and ask that the players are reminded of their responsibility to behave in such a manner that doesn't alienate supporters, sponsors etc.

There's no previous as regards WBA, not that i can think of anyway. It strikes me that Zoopla have overreacted to this one incident, but maybe they were looking for a way out already.

The club have supported and backed the players actions by stating they will continue to make him available to play, they could have taken action themselves or at the very least apologised for any offence caused but they have done nothing for a month so the sponsor quite rightly pulled the plug.
Anelka on 10:53 - Jan 21 with 1024 viewshoopstilidie

Anelka on 10:45 - Jan 21 by daveB

The club have supported and backed the players actions by stating they will continue to make him available to play, they could have taken action themselves or at the very least apologised for any offence caused but they have done nothing for a month so the sponsor quite rightly pulled the plug.

Not much of a plug to pull as their sponsorship ended at the season's finish anyway.

t's a PR opportunity for Zoopla IMO and they've grabbed it with both hands.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Anelka on 10:57 - Jan 21 with 1012 viewsexiled_dictator

I think one of the main issues that has not been mentioned is that he has not apologised in any way for the gesture, rather saying that he won't do it again.
Anelka has shown no remorse for the gesture, saying he does not see it as Anti-Semitic, and feels he has nothing to apologise for. He made the gesture in support of Dieudonne M'bala M'bala and not as a gesture against anyone.
The quenelle is a hand gesture devised by French comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, who says it's an anti-establishment symbol. However, many view it as an anti-Semitic gesture, reminiscent of the Nazi salute. So some sections will see it differently to others. It is not as clear cut as say Paolo Di Canio giving a blatant fascist Nazi salute when playing for Lazio.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Anelka on 10:59 - Jan 21 with 1009 viewsElHoop

Anelka on 10:45 - Jan 21 by daveB

I don't think that it is up to WBA to apologise for what Anelka did, the player himself should definitely have apologised. What would WBA be apologising for? What did they do wrong? I get pissed off with all this false apology stuff that goes on these days. You apologise for things that you could have controlled.
Anelka on 11:00 - Jan 21 with 1004 viewsdaveB

Anelka on 10:53 - Jan 21 by hoopstilidie

Not much of a plug to pull as their sponsorship ended at the season's finish anyway.

t's a PR opportunity for Zoopla IMO and they've grabbed it with both hands.

It would do them more harm from a PR point of a view to not make this stance
Anelka on 11:04 - Jan 21 with 989 viewshoopstilidie

Anelka on 11:00 - Jan 21 by daveB

It would do them more harm from a PR point of a view to not make this stance

There was no stance to make, they were only sponsors until the end of the season anyway.

PR.

Anelka on 11:52 - Jan 21 with 962 viewsdaveB

Anelka on 11:04 - Jan 21 by hoopstilidie

There was no stance to make, they were only sponsors until the end of the season anyway.

PR.

Of course they had to make a stance. An employee of West Brom made an anti-Semitic gesture and the club have backed him so as Zoopla are run by Jewish people they had a choice to either follow West Brom and pretend it didn't happen or say if the club are going to do nothing about it then we want nothing to do with the club.

I'd agree with the argument they could have cut all ties now rather than in the summer but they had to do something.
Login to get fewer ads

Anelka on 11:58 - Jan 21 with 954 viewsdanehoop

HTD,

they are a jewish owned company. Founder's family members were killed in the holocaust in Germany, and they are rightly sensitive to such issues. They have been really happy to have been associated with WBA and were looking to extend the deal.

When the controversy broke they were expecting a statement on the usual lines of looking into it, dont condone Anelka's actions but await outcome of FA decision, until that point no further comment. I.e. do not support anything at this point and if the players actions are proven to have been inappropriate action will be taken. What they got was quite different in that Chairmen did the opposite and came out saying Anelka had done nothing at all wrong and would be available for all future games and no one would be talking to him as he did nothing wrong.

They went back and said hold one, you sure about that. Chairmen was clear his line wouldnt change. Zoopla family somewhat agahst and said have you even checked out who this gesture of support was for (Anelka has never met his "friend" by the way). No interest from club in making any change from original statement so sponsor basically said we can no longer be associated with you if that is the case.

Now if i were looking for a positive from this, it would be that we now look to bag ourselves a new sponsor for next season worth £3M a year (their current deal with WBA) now one has come available who is interested in supporting clubs trying to do the right things. Ok the latter point is stretching it a bit, but hey, there is an opportunity there.

Never knowingly understood

Anelka on 12:01 - Jan 21 with 949 viewsEastR

Hands up (sorry!) if you'd been sitting watching that game and were able to say you knew anything about what this gesture meant before it's been plastered all over the media?

thought not...

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Anelka on 12:15 - Jan 21 with 925 viewsdaveB

Anelka on 12:01 - Jan 21 by EastR

Hands up (sorry!) if you'd been sitting watching that game and were able to say you knew anything about what this gesture meant before it's been plastered all over the media?

thought not...

I'm not Jewish so knew nothing of what the gesture meant but that doesn't make it right, Anelka certainly knew what it meant no matter what he says and his defence is similar to the rubbish Terry put forward. He made a mistake, just admit it and face the consequences.

Always easy to blame the media on these things and initially I thought it was a fuss over nothing but if they had ignored the issue as West Brom did and swept it under the carpet what would that say about our attitude to racism, it's a relief that this sort of nonsense is no longer accepted in this country
Anelka on 22:25 - Jan 21 with 853 viewshoopstilidie

Anelka on 11:58 - Jan 21 by danehoop

HTD,

they are a jewish owned company. Founder's family members were killed in the holocaust in Germany, and they are rightly sensitive to such issues. They have been really happy to have been associated with WBA and were looking to extend the deal.

When the controversy broke they were expecting a statement on the usual lines of looking into it, dont condone Anelka's actions but await outcome of FA decision, until that point no further comment. I.e. do not support anything at this point and if the players actions are proven to have been inappropriate action will be taken. What they got was quite different in that Chairmen did the opposite and came out saying Anelka had done nothing at all wrong and would be available for all future games and no one would be talking to him as he did nothing wrong.

They went back and said hold one, you sure about that. Chairmen was clear his line wouldnt change. Zoopla family somewhat agahst and said have you even checked out who this gesture of support was for (Anelka has never met his "friend" by the way). No interest from club in making any change from original statement so sponsor basically said we can no longer be associated with you if that is the case.

Now if i were looking for a positive from this, it would be that we now look to bag ourselves a new sponsor for next season worth £3M a year (their current deal with WBA) now one has come available who is interested in supporting clubs trying to do the right things. Ok the latter point is stretching it a bit, but hey, there is an opportunity there.

If they were that concerned they'd have pulled the plug immediately. They've chosen to let their sponsorship run out on exactly the day it was running out anyway whilst getting their name splashed for free across every news bulletin for days on end.

Anelka on 22:33 - Jan 21 with 842 viewsTheBlob

Zoopla and the moral high ground?Is this the same Zoopla that's the portal for sleazy,cheating,bastard Estate Agents?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Anelka on 23:09 - Jan 21 with 810 viewsstansleftfoot

Football Clubs owners/directors, Nicholas Anelka, Zoopla, The Internet, and Estate Agents in desperate battle to find the moral high-ground surprisingly finds no winners.
Massive over-reaction to a juvenile egotists behaviour, that WBA should have nipped in the bud minutes after the game before the final arbiters of taste, our trustworthy media, distorted the whole story into something of relevance.
Anelka on 23:12 - Jan 21 with 804 viewskensalriser

Why does it matter that Zoopla has Jewish ownership? Do I need to be Jewish to find anti-semitism unpalatable?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Anelka on 05:22 - Jan 22 with 747 viewsexiled_dictator

Anelka on 23:12 - Jan 21 by kensalriser

Why does it matter that Zoopla has Jewish ownership? Do I need to be Jewish to find anti-semitism unpalatable?

+1

Absolutely ridicoulas to think that what Anelka has done is not Anti-Semitic.
His support for Dieudonne M’Bala M’Bala is well known, and let's be honest, Dieudonne M’Bala M’Bala uses comedy as a mask to sprout blatant Anti-Semetic views. (Yes, I have heard what he says).
Showing support for such a blatant trouble maker simply puts the spotlight on you as well, and by making the quenelle in such a way in front of a televised audience is just plain ignorance by Anelka, or simply attention seeking.
The real problem that the authorities (WBA & FA) had is that Anelka himself is of an ethnic minority, and had they done something about his behaviour earlier, there might have been more issues over their handling of the matter. Someone like John Terry, who is white & English, when he racially abused Anton Ferdinand was a clearer case of white on black. But Anelka's case is arguably different because of his colour. I am not saying it is any excuse at all, just pointing out the differences.
A racist is a racist regardless of colour or religion. Dieudonne M’Bala M’Bala is openly Anti-Zionist, Anti-Semitic & Anti-Establishment. If you support his views, then you are not supporting comedy, but AGREEING with his views, and reenacting the quenelle just reinforces that view.
I hope he retires from the game.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Anelka on 09:57 - Jan 22 with 689 viewsNorthernr

Ticks just about every box from last season doesn't he?
- Ex Chelsea
- Well, well, well past his best
- Old
- Massively overpaid
- Dreadful attitude throughout his career
- Dreadful discipline throughout his career
- Achieved everything he's ever likely to achieve, nothing to prove, questionable motivation
- Lazy fck
- Arrogant prick
- Total arshole.

Sparky would have snapped him right up.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Anelka on 10:04 - Jan 22 with 680 viewsJamie

Anelka on 09:57 - Jan 22 by Northernr

- Ex Chelsea
- Old
- Massively overpaid
- Achieved everything he's ever likely to achieve, nothing to prove, questionable motivation
- Lazy fck
- Arrogant prick
- Total arshole.

And Fernandes would've built an advertising campaign around him.
Anelka on 12:32 - Jan 22 with 636 viewswillis1980

if the gesture in question isnt anti semitic then why do some cretins find the need to do it at auschwitz and outside jewish schools in france.

the whole notion that the establishment consists of people of the jewish faith is just as appalling as the gesture itself.

its sad that in a country that appears quite intolerant to minorities IMO, that certain sections of the minorities are becoming just as intolerant.

anelka should face a ban as the rules are quite clear on political and religious gestures, im surprised at WBA stance on the subject given their history in standing against ignorance and racism.
Anelka on 12:44 - Jan 22 with 615 viewsWestminsteRs

Anelka on 09:57 - Jan 22 by Northernr

- Ex Chelsea
- Old
- Massively overpaid
- Lazy fck
- Arrogant prick
- Total arshole.

He's won the Champions League so he must be really good. Sign him immediately, I say.

How many Champions League winners have we got in the squad now?
Anelka on 12:57 - Jan 22 with 593 viewsTacticalR

Anelka on 12:44 - Jan 22 by WestminsteRs

He's won the Champions League so he must be really good. Sign him immediately, I say.

How many Champions League winners have we got in the squad now?

Champions League Winner's medals are the fools gold of football chairmen.

Air hostess clique

Anelka on 13:03 - Jan 22 with 581 viewsQPunkR

Like everyone else on here I had no idea about this whole thing before it exploded in the meeja after Anelka's celebration.
My genuine puzzelment over the whole thing is as follows: This gesture was apparently invented by this comedian bloke, who claims it's meant as an anti-authority gesture. So why do people think they know better and maintain it's an anti-Jew gesture?
Now, the geezer himself is an avowed anti-Zionist, but it doesn't therefore follow that the quenelle is as well. After all, I'd imagine (without every having listened to it) that the entirity of his set isn't wholly about and anti Judaism.

Either way, even if it's 100% an anti-authority gesture Anelka's a fool to do it. What authority is he rebelling against with all his money etc etc? Well the FA now, obviously, but apart from that?

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024