Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aaron Hughes 23:18 - Feb 10 with 2946 viewsloftboy

Had a tidy debut, didn't do much wrong and combined well with Hoillett when he came on, even overlapped on a couple of occasions, did well to block Bamfords effort early on.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Aaron Hughes on 23:18 - Feb 10 with 2313 viewsdaveB

i thought he was one of the few positives, had a good game
Aaron Hughes on 23:20 - Feb 10 with 2298 viewsWatford_Ranger

He was fine but the defence is even slower with him there. Onuoha must play somewhere- anywhere- just get him in the bloody team.
Aaron Hughes on 23:21 - Feb 10 with 2290 viewsRangersAreBack

Darn sight better than Onuoha, that's for sure.
Aaron Hughes on 23:23 - Feb 10 with 2272 viewsPunteR

Tidy player.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Aaron Hughes on 23:24 - Feb 10 with 2271 viewsStanisgod

+1. Proper full back. Actually thought Kranjar was p@ss poor tonight, trying to shoot through people and beat 3 players when he should have passed.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Aaron Hughes on 23:46 - Feb 10 with 2232 viewsHunterhoop

Aaron Hughes on 23:20 - Feb 10 by Watford_Ranger

He was fine but the defence is even slower with him there. Onuoha must play somewhere- anywhere- just get him in the bloody team.

Yep. Agree. It's odd. All my mates who go ALL agree Nedum needs to be in the team. It's a given. Most think he's our best CB. Yet, on this MB, there's a vocal minority who think he's pony. I just don't get it. I'm not talking 2 or 3 blokes, I'm talking most of ASB and some! Great example of where the MB is a terrible representation of the bigger mass of fans.
Aaron Hughes on 23:53 - Feb 10 with 2213 viewsloftboy

Aaron Hughes on 23:46 - Feb 10 by Hunterhoop

Yep. Agree. It's odd. All my mates who go ALL agree Nedum needs to be in the team. It's a given. Most think he's our best CB. Yet, on this MB, there's a vocal minority who think he's pony. I just don't get it. I'm not talking 2 or 3 blokes, I'm talking most of ASB and some! Great example of where the MB is a terrible representation of the bigger mass of fans.

Mediums a great centre back but not so good at right back, but it would mean dropping one of Hill or Dunne who to be fair are quite solid if a little slow.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Aaron Hughes on 23:53 - Feb 10 with 2213 viewsRangersAreBack

Defending isn't purely about pace. Positioning, intelligence, composure, balance, organisation and leadership are also important qualities. Nedum is lacking on all these counts.
Login to get fewer ads

Aaron Hughes on 00:06 - Feb 11 with 2196 viewshoopstar67

Aaron Hughes on 23:53 - Feb 10 by RangersAreBack

Defending isn't purely about pace. Positioning, intelligence, composure, balance, organisation and leadership are also important qualities. Nedum is lacking on all these counts.

Wrong as usual
Aaron Hughes on 00:10 - Feb 11 with 2183 viewsGrifter

I though he was sh1te, but improved slightly.
Aaron Hughes on 01:02 - Feb 11 with 2139 viewsWilloW4

Aaron Hughes on 23:21 - Feb 10 by RangersAreBack

Darn sight better than Onuoha, that's for sure.

Agree.. He looked lively and up for it unlike 9 of his team mates.. !
Aaron Hughes on 01:17 - Feb 11 with 2130 viewsNeil_SI

It's not that Aaron Hughes isn't a decent player, he's alright, it's just the short term nature of QPR. It's obviously all about promotion at all costs, and the current management feel that experience is the way to do it.

Now, I'll be up front about it, I am not the biggest fan in the world of Nedum Onuoha. I think Richard Dunne and Clint Hill are better defenders than he, but they have the experience. Onouha has plenty of flaws and he's some way away from being a player who can compete consistently well at Premier League level.

But he's young and this is the Championship. We've seen all season long that for the many mistakes we've made, we've barely been punished for them. So why not throw Onuoha in there to get the experience he needs? It's the perfect breeding ground to work on his flaws and utilise his strengths in terms of his pace and physicality.

It's a travesty that he's not in this side for this reason alone. Every match he misses is a mistake on the clubs part to serve his development. Who better to learn alongside than one of Dunne or Hill? If you want any indicator about the short term nature of QPR, then it's staring you in the face with this scenario.

Onouha is fit and ready to play. It's nothing to do now with that hamstring injury he had, we've gone beyond the point where that was an excuse to take it easy with him. Get him in there for christ sake.
Aaron Hughes on 02:40 - Feb 11 with 2103 viewsRangersAreBack

Nedum is not an up-and-coming youngster requiring experience, he is 27. If he hasn't realised his potential by now then I doubt he ever will.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2014 3:00]
Aaron Hughes on 02:46 - Feb 11 with 2101 viewsRangersAreBack

Aaron Hughes on 00:06 - Feb 11 by hoopstar67

Wrong as usual

So, in your opinion, defending is purely about pace?
[Post edited 11 Feb 2014 2:59]
Aaron Hughes on 06:55 - Feb 11 with 2048 viewshoops_legend

Very solid debut.. Stopped a certain goal with a great block and had our best chance if not for a great save...

He's definetly one for the future ;)
Aaron Hughes on 08:09 - Feb 11 with 1984 viewsNeil_SI

Aaron Hughes on 02:40 - Feb 11 by RangersAreBack

Nedum is not an up-and-coming youngster requiring experience, he is 27. If he hasn't realised his potential by now then I doubt he ever will.

You've pretty much answered it really. You can't realise your potential if you don't play and at 27 years of age, Onuoha's best effort in a single season is 32 appearances, back when he was on loan at Sunderland, and that includes league and cup appearances. His best for us is 26 appearances.

He's never tasted what it's like to play week in, week out, for an entire campaign. That's why I say he doesn't have the experience he needs, or hasn't had enough time to work on the things he needs to.

He's not an up and coming youngster, but he is still a young player in terms of his experience, and he's most certainly at an age where the next few years should be his peak years, so there is still time to improve and learn.

It's also about value for money. We paid a hefty transfer fee and salary for him, it's in our interests to see some return. It wouldn't surprise me if his salary alone equates to about the same amount Dunne and Hill earn together either.
Aaron Hughes on 08:15 - Feb 11 with 1974 viewsPommyhoop

Aaron Hughes on 02:40 - Feb 11 by RangersAreBack

He's a better option NOW. than one of the 2 old boys at the back.It's a hard choice which one to drop I admit but making tough choices like that is why H is payed the big bucks.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Aaron Hughes on 08:36 - Feb 11 with 1941 viewsHunterhoop

And this is why it's a game if opinions.

I play CB. It's the position I watch most closely when at QPR.

I disagree with Neil here, and probably many others. Having watched all our CBs very closely this season, I think the weakest is Dunne. He is the worst marker of his man of the 3, and he switches off more than Hill or Onouha. Look at the first two Burnely goals, the man he was marking got away from him and on the end of the cross. Look at Leicester's goal. Hill lost the flick on but the lad who scored was being marked by Dunne and within seconds of the flick on had escaped him to score.

These aren't one offs. They happen a lot. Donny at home in the first half....Dunne had a nightmare. Luckily the blonde lad up front couldn't shoot for toffee. Dunne was marking him and he got through 1-1 3 times. Dunne is fine, excellent even, dealing with long balls flung in the box. But when we come up against anyone with movement, not even pace, he really struggles. A lack if finishing ability has saved his blushes on a number of occasions. Both Hill and Onouha are much sharper and quicker to react to forwards with movement. That's the most important attribute for a CB in the Prem. People scream out it's pace we need, and whilst we do, it's actually a CB who is better at dealing with movement that is really what we need. Onouha is a better centre half than Dunne in this area.

Ned has his flaws, especially at RB. But he's not a RB, he's a CB. Dunne and Hill have one season left him in them, maximum one may have 2 but not at Prem level. Onouha has 8 by the same logic. Not exactly rocket science.
Aaron Hughes on 08:39 - Feb 11 with 1935 viewsRangersw12

Aaron Hughes on 23:53 - Feb 10 by loftboy

Mediums a great centre back but not so good at right back, but it would mean dropping one of Hill or Dunne who to be fair are quite solid if a little slow.

Rotate Hill & Dunne , Onuoha has a bit of pace which means we can play a higher line
Aaron Hughes on 08:50 - Feb 11 with 1920 viewsNeil_SI

Aaron Hughes on 08:36 - Feb 11 by Hunterhoop

I disagree with Neil here, and probably many others. Having watched all our CBs very closely this season, I think the weakest is Dunne. He is the worst marker of his man of the 3, and he switches off more than Hill or Onouha. Look at the first two Burnely goals, the man he was marking got away from him and on the end of the cross. Look at Leicester's goal. Hill lost the flick on but the lad who scored was being marked by Dunne and within seconds of the flick on had escaped him to score.

These aren't one offs. They happen a lot. Donny at home in the first half....Dunne had a nightmare. Luckily the blonde lad up front couldn't shoot for toffee. Dunne was marking him and he got through 1-1 3 times. Dunne is fine, excellent even, dealing with long balls flung in the box. But when we come up against anyone with movement, not even pace, he really struggles. A lack if finishing ability has saved his blushes on a number of occasions. Both Hill and Onouha are much sharper and quicker to react to forwards with movement. That's the most important attribute for a CB in the Prem. People scream out it's pace we need, and whilst we do, it's actually a CB who is better at dealing with movement that is really what we need. Onouha is a better centre half than Dunne in this area.

Ned has his flaws, especially at RB. But he's not a RB, he's a CB. Dunne and Hill have one season left him in them, maximum one may have 2 but not at Prem level. Onouha has 8 by the same logic. Not exactly rocket science.

The issues you talk about with Dunne are true, but I think it's more of a case where he has been exposed for a lack of pace and acceleration, or his lack of agility. That's more normal for him at his age and size, and coming off the back of a year out of the game with an injury. As a defender, I think he knows and does the basics a bit better, and while I don't think he's any great shakes in the passing stakes too, he passes better than Onuoha as well.

Or I suppose, if I flipped this around and said if Dunne had the same speed as Onuoha, which is the better player overall, and then I'd definitely say Dunne. I think Onuoha's speed (or movement), strength and age warrant him a place in the side though, definitely, but he is an athlete first, and a footballer second, and that's obvious to my eyes. If he's paired up with one of the two, he can still take elements from their games and improve his own.

The lack of pace or movement at the back is one of the reasons we're struggling to evolve the side. We've been set up to protect that lack of speed there, and often finding both the defence and midfield far too deep. It's easier to protect them like that, but when you need to open up and go forwards and the onus is on you to go out and take the game to the other team, it's then where you really see that lack of legs across the side.

Of the two veterans, Dunne moves around a lot more than Hill, who prefers to stay deep and in a stationary position. Dunne tends to move more towards the right, or out and forwards of the defence, and then of course if there is movement and he's caught out, he's often in trouble. I think in that sense he takes more risks and puts himself in more risky positions to be exploited than Hill, but I'm not sure which of those two methods I prefer in terms of dealing with their respective weaknesses. Hill dropping deeper compresses the space between him and the attacker, so by nature, that gives him a little more time and opportunity to deal with them, but whenever he also ventures forward he puts himself in absolute no mans land. He did it with Luis Suarez and was torn apart, then against Burnley he came out and tried to play Danny Ings offside and gifted him a great chance.

So it's much of a muchness for me anyway. I've long felt we need a ball playing centre back, but where we can find a decent one of those and for what price... that's why I want to see some decent attempts at coaching and working on a solution, but I just don't see that happening at all.
Aaron Hughes on 09:22 - Feb 11 with 1861 viewsstevec

I would have thought the one area we haven't had any major problems is in defence.

All defences doubles up on quick wingers and yet Hughes and BAE were left entirely to their own devices for much of last night and did remarkably well considering. Hughes at 34 and I suspect not having had many games at Fulham got virtually no assistance from O'Neil and Krancjar leaves a gaping hole on the left. Despite this, Derby had two shots on target all night, one of them a ricochet.

I think this is one area that could be left well alone. Midfield and attack, now where do I start?
Aaron Hughes on 09:46 - Feb 11 with 1821 viewslondonscottish

Aaron Hughes on 23:18 - Feb 10 by daveB

i thought he was one of the few positives, had a good game

Yeah, thought he looked very good on the ball, positioning very good.

Missed Danny Simpson's bombing runs and overlaps, though.

Also thought Hoilett had a good game, on ballance.

Missed Matty Phillips crosses, though.

All in all, less threat on the right, which is going to make this season harder.

(One thing I noticed was how often Hoilett actually went down the middle, talking on defenders. Coudln't say I've noticed him doing this much in the past. Maybe it just jumped out at me because I was watching in on TV for a change).

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Aaron Hughes on 10:22 - Feb 11 with 1796 viewsAntti_Heinola

Aaron Hughes on 08:36 - Feb 11 by Hunterhoop

Completely agree Hunter. We are in the minority, but I also feel Dunne is the weakest of the three. Also guilty of gibing away countless unnecessary free kicks high up the pitch when he doesn't need to. Would have NO ahead of him every day of the week.

Bare bones.

Aaron Hughes on 10:56 - Feb 11 with 1762 viewsHAYESBOY

Hughes did ok. Did well in the first minute to get to Bamford, but it was him that played him on.
Clearly a centre back though and as mentined we are missing Simpson bombing on, on the overlap.
Would like to see Hughes at Centre half.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Aaron Hughes on 11:15 - Feb 11 with 1746 viewsQPunkR

Aaron Hughes on 10:56 - Feb 11 by HAYESBOY

Hughes did ok. Did well in the first minute to get to Bamford, but it was him that played him on.
Clearly a centre back though and as mentined we are missing Simpson bombing on, on the overlap.
Would like to see Hughes at Centre half.

Agree with everything except the last line. I thought it stood out like a sore thumb that he was a CB playing RB. Yes I know he's played there many times before, especially for internationally, but though defensively sound, he didn't offer much if anything going forward, highlighting how much we're gonna miss Simpson. Fine as a stop-gap measure though and did well to get back to that chance in the 1st minute

QPR - "shit but local"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024