Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season 12:34 - Mar 31 with 59471 viewsmorgantwin

many of you youngsters dont know the history of why qpt fans hate fulham so much so i thought i would run through the historical background of the loft
first you must go back to the film called roar
it was all about the world cup and featured ritual chanting for the first time,in 66-67 skinheadism had reached fever pitch but there was no real iconic place to go
SO THE MIGHTY SHED END WAS FORMED BOASTING AN INCREDIBLE 5000 SKINS,PEOPLE LIKE ME WERE BOTH CHELSEA AND QPR FANS I WENT TO BOTH TEAMS
BUT WHERE AS CHELSEA WERE A PASSION QPR WAS MY RELIGION,SO THERE COULD BE NO
DOUBT WHERE I WAS REALLY GOING TO END UP
STRANGLEY THERE WERE many MILLWALL IN THAT SHED END.SO IT WAS MADE UP OF 2000 SKINS WHO SUPPORTED KNOWBODY
2000 CHELSEA SKINS
AND ONE THOUSAND MADE FROM QPR,MILLWALL TOTTENHAM ,ARSENAL WEST HAM
OF WHICH THE BIGGEST CONTRIBUTERS WERE BERMONDSEY FROTHERHYTHE,AND DEPFORD MILLWALL FANS THERE WERE SEVERAL HUNDRED MILLWALL IN THE OIRIGUIONAL SHED ENDbut us infiltrates were just caught up in an amazing buzz

Poll: in last fifty years what was greatest ever atmosphere

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 14:45 - Apr 16 with 3221 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the insights on Giles, lads. No-one knows better than fans.

Never knew anout the rhyming slang, either! Every day is a school day, eh?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 15:00 - Apr 16 with 3199 viewsBrianMcCarthy

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 14:31 - Apr 16 by headhoops

just had a cup of tea and thought I should see read this thread and pleased I did. Nine pages long and not one mention of Barton, Adel and Mackie.

Thanks Morgan Twin for the thread and memories and for finally proving that skinheadism and spelling are not compatible.

What know you about our run ins with Coventry - they were regular and lively.

"What know you about our run ins with Coventry - they were regular and lively."

I only remember trouble once, even then it was all shapes and silliness thankfully, when Eoin Jess score in that 1-0 loss. I was with a Cov mate and we walked in between the two sets of idiots who were fronting up outside afterwards, so tame was it.

It was only afterwards that I heard of some history between us. Then I remembered being on the away terrace back in the late 80's and one of our well-known and well-mad old-timers beckoned me to one side and whispered to me to have a look under his Mac. Well, after hearing a line like that I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly wasn't expecting to see the butt of a gun.

I really didn't expect any danger, strange as it may seem, because he was mad as all giddyup but now doddery and no longer violent from what I knew. The oddness increased when he told me that it was for 'them Zulus'. I told him that he might be getting a bit confused and that Zulus only came from South Africa and St. Andrews. Even allowing for the utter weirdness of seeing a gun at a football match, I couldn't figure out why he was on the lookout for trouble at little ol' Coventry. Until the Eoin jess match, and then I wondered if there was prior violence between us.

I got the hell out of there. Not sure if he found any of them Zulus.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 15:18 - Apr 16 with 3175 viewsMoonshineSteve

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:57 - Apr 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, he's even more of a slapper than we thought.

A Kick Up The 's definitely exposed him by digging up a couple of old interviews - in one he was a diehard Ranger, in the other he was doing the dirt over Tottenham way..

Well, well, turns out he had another bit on the side over in South-West London, eh?

Still, leave him on the soundtrack. albarn's a Dagenham/Country lad and this is an all- West London affair.

Damon Albarn's not from Dagenham. Leytonstone I think.

And Farmer Giles more common in rhyming than Johnny.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 15:23 - Apr 16 with 3166 viewsBushman

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 15:18 - Apr 16 by MoonshineSteve

more likely a bad case of the "Nobby Stiles"

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:00 - Apr 16 with 3110 viewsterryb

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 14:45 - Apr 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the insights on Giles, lads. No-one knows better than fans.

Never knew anout the rhyming slang, either! Every day is a school day, eh?

Brian,

Giles was always the instigator who then exited stage left & left other players to take the wrap.

The best example is the sending off of Bremner & Keegan in the Charity Shield. That was all down to Giles & Keegen turning round & thinking it was the player then closest to him.

Without doubt he is on a par with Kevin Muscat as the two dirtiest players I have seen in British football. Muscat, of course, was a lot more open about it than Giles though.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:35 - Apr 16 with 3070 views18StoneOfHoop

The infamous 1974 Charity Shield? Gotta have some of that!
@3:30 "..and that looked very much like a right hook by Johnny Giles.."

Rodney Marsh and Georgie Best tell the truth about Dirty Leeds:

Dirty,dirty Leeds and dirty,dirty corrupt Revie:

[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 18:23]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 18:07 - Apr 16 with 3042 viewsmorgantwin

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:35 - Apr 16 by 18StoneOfHoop

bryan its strange that you pull out coventry,because back in 1968-69 i was at the night match and boy oh boy did it kick off
wew had a coach of 54 and 14 including me were either little kids,i was only 15 or non combabatants
but the 40 who were active run 500 coventry all over the place,that was one of the few scalps we took that year another was ipswich
but coventry away was one of our finest hours in the battlefield of our evolutionary historical past
the best thing about it was that the forty qpr fans found crates of glass milk bottles,and they rained them down onto the coventry and it looked like the battle of agincourt
thats why theres so much bad feelings beteen us

the clubs that toom our end in 1968 -69 was chelsea ,west ham,arsenal,man utd,but notts forest did very well outside
strangely tottenham who helped form the origional loft refused to take the loft and settled on the south africa road terrace
and the biggest taking of the loft was man utd who put an inceredible 8000 into the loft end
that would never be masterd ,the man utd fans werre some of the most powerfull hoolies of there day
and have the record ever stabbings in one day
44 stoke fans were stabbed in one day in the mid seventies

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 21:39 - Apr 16 with 2963 viewsbatmanhoop

Talking about Leeds, that 68-69 when we went down with an unenviable points total of 18 and Leeds won the league. We played them on a Friday night and absolutely played them off the park, typically still lost 1-0. But that was the first time I've seen major knuckles, before, during and after the match. If my memory isn't playing tricks, a lot of Arsenal were present.They had unfinished business with Leeds after the League Cup final meeting the previous month
Login to get fewer ads

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 21:51 - Apr 16 with 2943 viewsShotKneesHoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 15:18 - Apr 16 by MoonshineSteve

They're called "Chalfonts" in West London, Arthur Daley had them all through an episode of Minder.

Explanation? Chalfont St. Giles = a bad case of piles.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 21:53 - Apr 16 with 2940 viewsBrianMcCarthy

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:35 - Apr 16 by 18StoneOfHoop

Wow, never knew about the Sprake-Revie accusations!

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 21:59 - Apr 16 with 2937 viewsTearsOfaClown

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:04 - Apr 16 by ShotKneesHoop

Unfortunately Collins could kick both a ball and a player. SWP can only trip himself up,

So right my dear old shot knees

I remember Mr Collins - when he had gone to Oldham and he came back to the Bush and they won 1-0 thanks to a breakaway goal that he scored from the right wing and in at the loft end.

Those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end, We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose We'd fight and never lose. For we were young and sure to have our way with Mary Hopkins.

I remember you being at the Len Julian Incident - that I can vouch for and well done you - and I will tell you why, because you don't buy chocolate at WH Smiths.

But who is this SWP you refer to? Does he play for us? Shirley Knot.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 01:55 - Apr 17 with 2871 viewszicoshoops

The most complete ever taking of The Loft was Man Utd in our first season in the First Division 68-69 season
In those days the ground opened much earlier than now.
Got in the ground at midday, walked up the steps to the Loft.....total silence.
Myself and 3 mates (very young) were shouting and 'effing and blindin' about any Man Utd fans who would be silly enough to come into The Loft, and what would happen to them.
Then we got to the top of the steps.....and stopped.

It was a sea of Red and White, original Skinheads, just waiting for a good Row.
We stood and looked, totally gobsmacked, as hundreds of them just stared at us.
We made our way down to the boys enclosure, totally humiliated as they took the piss out of us.

'Promise you won't hurt us lads.'
'Would you like a Sweetie?
'Do you need a hand getting over the wall? (to the boys enclosure)
'What time are the QPR fans turning up?'
'Does your mum know you're here?'

The b*stards slaughtered us, although looking back it seems funny now.
But what really upset me, was that everyone I knew was down the School End.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 2:04]
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 03:15 - Apr 17 with 2848 viewsqprmick

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 01:55 - Apr 17 by zicoshoops

The most complete ever taking of The Loft was Man Utd in our first season in the First Division 68-69 season
In those days the ground opened much earlier than now.
Got in the ground at midday, walked up the steps to the Loft.....total silence.
Myself and 3 mates (very young) were shouting and 'effing and blindin' about any Man Utd fans who would be silly enough to come into The Loft, and what would happen to them.
Then we got to the top of the steps.....and stopped.

It was a sea of Red and White, original Skinheads, just waiting for a good Row.
We stood and looked, totally gobsmacked, as hundreds of them just stared at us.
We made our way down to the boys enclosure, totally humiliated as they took the piss out of us.

'Promise you won't hurt us lads.'
'Would you like a Sweetie?
'Do you need a hand getting over the wall? (to the boys enclosure)
'What time are the QPR fans turning up?'
'Does your mum know you're here?'

The b*stards slaughtered us, although looking back it seems funny now.
But what really upset me, was that everyone I knew was down the School End.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 2:04]

I only have fond memories of Georgie Best from that game. Mind you I always stood at the School end, it was the nearest point to East Acton and the Western, great pub. Anyone remember wednesday nights with the two brothers, great entertainers.

Qprmick

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:06 - Apr 17 with 2779 viewsPommyhoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 18:07 - Apr 16 by morgantwin

bryan its strange that you pull out coventry,because back in 1968-69 i was at the night match and boy oh boy did it kick off
wew had a coach of 54 and 14 including me were either little kids,i was only 15 or non combabatants
but the 40 who were active run 500 coventry all over the place,that was one of the few scalps we took that year another was ipswich
but coventry away was one of our finest hours in the battlefield of our evolutionary historical past
the best thing about it was that the forty qpr fans found crates of glass milk bottles,and they rained them down onto the coventry and it looked like the battle of agincourt
thats why theres so much bad feelings beteen us

the clubs that toom our end in 1968 -69 was chelsea ,west ham,arsenal,man utd,but notts forest did very well outside
strangely tottenham who helped form the origional loft refused to take the loft and settled on the south africa road terrace
and the biggest taking of the loft was man utd who put an inceredible 8000 into the loft end
that would never be masterd ,the man utd fans werre some of the most powerfull hoolies of there day
and have the record ever stabbings in one day
44 stoke fans were stabbed in one day in the mid seventies

<<<he best thing about it was that the forty qpr fans found crates of glass milk bottles,and they rained them down onto the coventry and it looked like the battle of agincourt >>

Talking of Agincourt. r Who remembers this pic in the Sunday papers?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:18 - Apr 17 with 2766 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:06 - Apr 17 by Pommyhoop

<<<he best thing about it was that the forty qpr fans found crates of glass milk bottles,and they rained them down onto the coventry and it looked like the battle of agincourt >>

Yeah.Horrible brutish thug.Remember at the time thinking is this what Britain has become that we allow bullies like this to roam the streets?
Felt sorry for the football fan as well.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 10:19]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:30 - Apr 17 with 2757 viewsPommyhoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:18 - Apr 17 by TheBlob

Yeah.Horrible brutish thug.Remember at the time thinking is this what Britain has become that we allow bullies like this to roam the streets?
Felt sorry for the football fan as well.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 10:19]

Yep . ACAB mate.
What were them hats all about?
One time it was a perfect piece of milinary( sp? word? )

Uncovered and un.fettered.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 10:32]

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:39 - Apr 17 with 2746 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:30 - Apr 17 by Pommyhoop

Yep . ACAB mate.
What were them hats all about?
One time it was a perfect piece of milinary( sp? word? )

Uncovered and un.fettered.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 10:32]

She'd probably just get done for smoking in public now.

Always thought the coppers' heads reached right up to the pointy top of those helmets.

[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 10:41]

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:46 - Apr 17 with 2736 viewsMoonshineSteve

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:06 - Apr 17 by Pommyhoop

I remember that. Although the picture does not make him seem particularly lucky, if that dart had gone an inch to the left ...

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:51 - Apr 17 with 2723 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:46 - Apr 17 by MoonshineSteve

I remember that. Although the picture does not make him seem particularly lucky, if that dart had gone an inch to the left ...

Can't have been much fun for that Ted Bovis lookalike copper and all that "hi de hi" coming out of the old Talking Brooch every five minutes.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 11:28 - Apr 17 with 2687 viewsPommyhoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:39 - Apr 17 by TheBlob

She'd probably just get done for smoking in public now.

Always thought the coppers' heads reached right up to the pointy top of those helmets.

[Post edited 17 Apr 2014 10:41]

Ahh so thats why they were so hard to knock off..
I thought they were nailed on like

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:18 - Apr 17 with 2663 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 11:28 - Apr 17 by Pommyhoop

Ahh so thats why they were so hard to knock off..
I thought they were nailed on like

The Woodentops flat hats in the Mobile Jam Sandwich were nailed on.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:17 - Apr 17 with 2614 viewsmorgantwin

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:18 - Apr 17 by TheBlob

The Woodentops flat hats in the Mobile Jam Sandwich were nailed on.

arsenal have slipped up badley on the violence scale in 1969-they had a good firm but ever since they tried to ambush a train full of ladbroke grove in the semi final of the fa cup they
have decided not to engage qpr in battle
but i do respect them because when we got done 1-5 at there place ,we were so outnumberd they let us off a good hiding that day

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:10 - Apr 18 with 2506 viewsmorgantwin

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:17 - Apr 17 by morgantwin

arsenal have slipped up badley on the violence scale in 1969-they had a good firm but ever since they tried to ambush a train full of ladbroke grove in the semi final of the fa cup they
have decided not to engage qpr in battle
but i do respect them because when we got done 1-5 at there place ,we were so outnumberd they let us off a good hiding that day

one day ill never forget was the norwich away game,if we could win we would have won the top flight for the only time in our lives
so we are all flying up the A10 there was 18 thousand qpr fans out that day every pub was full of rangers
what a choker,we lost 2-3,ill never forget that feeling of total upset,i was very drunk but drove home all the way and the van broke down in epping forest so me and my old mucker from northolt had to get the tube home
all the way home on the tube we neither of us spoke,it was total devastation,did any of you guys go to that game

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 16:19 - Apr 18 with 2444 viewsbatmanhoop

Yes, but there was certainly not 17,999 other r's fans there
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:05 - Apr 18 with 2415 viewsterryb

Yes , I was there but I agree with batman that there wern't 18,000 of us!

I had a £10 bet at the start of the season at 40/1 that we would win the league. That was a big bet & a great return in those days.

I didn't say any word more than I had to for at least a week & I still suffer from that match today!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024