Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season 12:34 - Mar 31 with 59314 viewsmorgantwin

many of you youngsters dont know the history of why qpt fans hate fulham so much so i thought i would run through the historical background of the loft
first you must go back to the film called roar
it was all about the world cup and featured ritual chanting for the first time,in 66-67 skinheadism had reached fever pitch but there was no real iconic place to go
SO THE MIGHTY SHED END WAS FORMED BOASTING AN INCREDIBLE 5000 SKINS,PEOPLE LIKE ME WERE BOTH CHELSEA AND QPR FANS I WENT TO BOTH TEAMS
BUT WHERE AS CHELSEA WERE A PASSION QPR WAS MY RELIGION,SO THERE COULD BE NO
DOUBT WHERE I WAS REALLY GOING TO END UP
STRANGLEY THERE WERE many MILLWALL IN THAT SHED END.SO IT WAS MADE UP OF 2000 SKINS WHO SUPPORTED KNOWBODY
2000 CHELSEA SKINS
AND ONE THOUSAND MADE FROM QPR,MILLWALL TOTTENHAM ,ARSENAL WEST HAM
OF WHICH THE BIGGEST CONTRIBUTERS WERE BERMONDSEY FROTHERHYTHE,AND DEPFORD MILLWALL FANS THERE WERE SEVERAL HUNDRED MILLWALL IN THE OIRIGUIONAL SHED ENDbut us infiltrates were just caught up in an amazing buzz

Poll: in last fifty years what was greatest ever atmosphere

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 21:00 - Apr 14 with 4294 viewsqueensparker

This thread is brilliant. Keep the memories coming morgantwin
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 21:24 - Apr 14 with 4276 viewsBrianMcCarthy

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 20:32 - Apr 14 by kensalriser

Is this the Ladbroke Grove skins during the Great Barber Shop Strike of 1969?

Love that photo. So much character.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:06 - Apr 15 with 4171 viewsShotKneesHoop

Can I correct the Len Julians coin throwing episode. I was there - it happened right in front of me as I was on the "Mark Lazarus Is God" crash barrier, which would be just a bit to the right of the half way line, about ten terraces back..

1. In those days, before the game started, the club collected pennies thrown into a big sheet paraded around the ground. The fans used to throw the pennies at the people carrying the sheet as much as throw the money into the sheet. No-one seemed to be bothered about where the money went in those days.

2. John Collins scored a hat trick, his third goal was headed in and he also headed the post and was carried off concussed.

3. Len Julians was getting more and more pissed off as the game went on. He chopped Mark Lazarus down and someone in the crowd threw a coin at him. IT DID NOT HIT HIM let alone the "draw blood" bollox. The penny landed alongside him and he picked it up and hurled it back into the crowd around me. It hit a bloke under the eye and it was bleeding badly. The crowd went mental and was all for going on the pitch to sort Julians out. The bloke who was cut was taken out for treatment.

4. The crowd was now in a frenzy. The sixth goal went in and Rangers fans invaded the pitch to mob Marsh. The dozy announcer tannoyed that the game would be abandoned if the fans did not clear the pitch. At which point, the Rangers fans climbed back over the wall, whereas the Millwall fans came onto the pitch from the School and sat down in the penalty area and refused to move.

5. More pleading to get off the pitch was ignored, the manager Billy Gray made an appeal which was ignored by the Millwall fans.

6. The Shepherd's Bush mounted police appeared out of the players tunnel to huge cheers from the Rangers fans. The police horses galloped into the School End penalty area, trampelling all over the squatting Millwall fans.

7. Even more raucous cheers from the QPR fans as the Millwall fans piled back over the wall into the school end.

8. All this for three bob. That's what I call entertainment. By comparison today, you pay £40 for watching paint dry and getting scraped knees.

9. Anyone know what happened to the QPR fan who got hit by the penny? Rumour was that he settled out of court for the damage.

10. Someone else on this board must have been there. What great days they were.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 10:09]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:17 - Apr 15 with 4153 viewsElHoop

This thread has a long way to go to be as long as this one:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/89027/mod-to-suedehead/5730

But it's quite interesting to read a bit of QPR stuff from page 383 onwards. You'd need a month to read all of it I should think.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:48 - Apr 15 with 4118 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:06 - Apr 15 by ShotKneesHoop

Can I correct the Len Julians coin throwing episode. I was there - it happened right in front of me as I was on the "Mark Lazarus Is God" crash barrier, which would be just a bit to the right of the half way line, about ten terraces back..

1. In those days, before the game started, the club collected pennies thrown into a big sheet paraded around the ground. The fans used to throw the pennies at the people carrying the sheet as much as throw the money into the sheet. No-one seemed to be bothered about where the money went in those days.

2. John Collins scored a hat trick, his third goal was headed in and he also headed the post and was carried off concussed.

3. Len Julians was getting more and more pissed off as the game went on. He chopped Mark Lazarus down and someone in the crowd threw a coin at him. IT DID NOT HIT HIM let alone the "draw blood" bollox. The penny landed alongside him and he picked it up and hurled it back into the crowd around me. It hit a bloke under the eye and it was bleeding badly. The crowd went mental and was all for going on the pitch to sort Julians out. The bloke who was cut was taken out for treatment.

4. The crowd was now in a frenzy. The sixth goal went in and Rangers fans invaded the pitch to mob Marsh. The dozy announcer tannoyed that the game would be abandoned if the fans did not clear the pitch. At which point, the Rangers fans climbed back over the wall, whereas the Millwall fans came onto the pitch from the School and sat down in the penalty area and refused to move.

5. More pleading to get off the pitch was ignored, the manager Billy Gray made an appeal which was ignored by the Millwall fans.

6. The Shepherd's Bush mounted police appeared out of the players tunnel to huge cheers from the Rangers fans. The police horses galloped into the School End penalty area, trampelling all over the squatting Millwall fans.

7. Even more raucous cheers from the QPR fans as the Millwall fans piled back over the wall into the school end.

8. All this for three bob. That's what I call entertainment. By comparison today, you pay £40 for watching paint dry and getting scraped knees.

9. Anyone know what happened to the QPR fan who got hit by the penny? Rumour was that he settled out of court for the damage.

10. Someone else on this board must have been there. What great days they were.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 10:09]

I went with a couple of Millwall friends for that one and ended up in the Ellerslie for some strange reason,I usually stood on the SAR.Half time they buggered off to the Loft to be with fellow supporters.Saw it all kicking off over there,actually it looked a bit tame.I remember Collins head butting the post and the joy of Rodders coming on.Never did see those Lions friends again.Never.Always wondered what happened to them.Or not.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 11:08 - Apr 15 with 4087 viewsHammersmithR

Always one of my favourite songs at Rangers.............

'Come on with in, come on without, you ain't seen nothing like the Morgan twins'
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 11:41 - Apr 15 with 4047 viewsdoogi55

i was born under loftus road i remember an away game at sheff utd in 72 when in the back of lorry full of furneture set up the table and chairs played cards .
after the game there was about 50 of us coming out the ground sheff fans where coming so we ran them off till we got round the corner there was 100s of them they where throwing bottle how we got out i dont know vic got hit by a brick then the police arrived wehat a season i still hate norwich for cheating us out the title.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:25 - Apr 15 with 4000 viewsPommyhoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:17 - Apr 15 by ElHoop

This thread has a long way to go to be as long as this one:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/89027/mod-to-suedehead/5730

But it's quite interesting to read a bit of QPR stuff from page 383 onwards. You'd need a month to read all of it I should think.

Ha love the pic when you join that link.

Please Sir isnt it . Duffy the oldest 5th former in the Western Hemisphere. Must've been 35 if he was a day..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Login to get fewer ads

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:31 - Apr 15 with 3985 viewsBrightonhoop

Great forum that on the original Skinhead and later styles.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:45 - Apr 15 with 3972 viewsPommyhoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:31 - Apr 15 by Brightonhoop

Some good pics .
Here's one of the leader of the Fulham Skinz..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:56 - Apr 15 with 3958 viewsmorgantwin

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:31 - Apr 15 by Brightonhoop

the millwall game that we won 6-1 i was at, but i was standing on the south africa road stand near the loft end,and i was very shocked by the bobby collins head on the post
the blood seemed to explode all over the place
i can remember when he was lying there,somebody had to wash the blood of the post,i cant remember the millwall fans on the center spot,but then again i was very young at the time so maybe my dad took me home early cause he sensed a riot taking place

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:58 - Apr 15 with 3878 viewsShotKneesHoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:56 - Apr 15 by morgantwin

the millwall game that we won 6-1 i was at, but i was standing on the south africa road stand near the loft end,and i was very shocked by the bobby collins head on the post
the blood seemed to explode all over the place
i can remember when he was lying there,somebody had to wash the blood of the post,i cant remember the millwall fans on the center spot,but then again i was very young at the time so maybe my dad took me home early cause he sensed a riot taking place

It was John Collins, repeat. John Collins that played for Rangers.

Bobby Collins was that dirty little Scottish git that used to break leg for Leeds.

And the Millwall fans were on the penalty spot at the school end.

Your Dad should have stayed - it was awesome - you would have had a real education for 1/6d as a kid.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 18:56 - Apr 15 with 3849 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:58 - Apr 15 by ShotKneesHoop

Bobby Collins was that dirty little Scottish git that used to break leg for Leeds.

Your Dad should have stayed - it was awesome - you would have had a real education for 1/6d as a kid.

You don't hear much about John Collins on this board.Seem to remember a hat trick against Hull in a 3-3 home draw.Not sure if he played again after the argument with the post.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 20:35 - Apr 15 with 3806 viewsmorgantwin

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 18:56 - Apr 15 by TheBlob

You don't hear much about John Collins on this board.Seem to remember a hat trick against Hull in a 3-3 home draw.Not sure if he played again after the argument with the post.

oh yes sorry about that it was johny collins who of course was related to tommy collins
does anybody know if tommies health is ok
i havent seen him about for a long time

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 09:31 - Apr 16 with 3692 viewsShotKneesHoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 20:35 - Apr 15 by morgantwin

oh yes sorry about that it was johny collins who of course was related to tommy collins
does anybody know if tommies health is ok
i havent seen him about for a long time

John Collins (footballer born 1942)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Collins Personal information
Full name John William Bashley Collins
Date of birth 10 August 1942 (age 71)
Place of birth Chiswick, Middlesex, England
Playing position Inside left
Youth career
1950—1959 Queens Park Rangers
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1959—1966 Queens Park Rangers 172 (46)
1966—1967 Oldham Athletic 39 (33)
1967—1969 Reading 85 (28)
1969—1971 Luton Town 42 (10)
1971—1973 Cambridge United 97 (16)
Total 435 (132)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
John William Bashley Collins (born 10 August 1942 in Chiswick, Middlesex), was an English former footballer who scored 108 goals from 417 appearances in the Football League in the 1960s and early 1970s, playing as an inside left for Queens Park Rangers, Oldham Athletic, Reading, Luton Town and Cambridge United.[1]

Collins came through the youth ranks at Queens Park Rangers, turned professional in 1959 and made his debut in a 1—0 win against Barnsley in April 1960.[2] He went on to play 172 league games for Rangers, scoring 46 league goals, then transferred to Oldham Athletic in 1966 and later had spells at Reading, Luton Town and Cambridge United.[1]

He became a cult hero at QPR after famously scoring a hatrick of headers in a game versus Hull City. Collins also scored a fourth, although this was discounted by match official Cedric Tomlinson.

Ken Wagstaff of Hull later described the performance as: "A hatrick of headers - that's certainly something I'd never be able to do."

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 09:58 - Apr 16 with 3672 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 09:31 - Apr 16 by ShotKneesHoop

John Collins (footballer born 1942)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Collins Personal information
Full name John William Bashley Collins
Date of birth 10 August 1942 (age 71)
Place of birth Chiswick, Middlesex, England
Playing position Inside left
Youth career
1950—1959 Queens Park Rangers
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1959—1966 Queens Park Rangers 172 (46)
1966—1967 Oldham Athletic 39 (33)
1967—1969 Reading 85 (28)
1969—1971 Luton Town 42 (10)
1971—1973 Cambridge United 97 (16)
Total 435 (132)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
John William Bashley Collins (born 10 August 1942 in Chiswick, Middlesex), was an English former footballer who scored 108 goals from 417 appearances in the Football League in the 1960s and early 1970s, playing as an inside left for Queens Park Rangers, Oldham Athletic, Reading, Luton Town and Cambridge United.[1]

Collins came through the youth ranks at Queens Park Rangers, turned professional in 1959 and made his debut in a 1—0 win against Barnsley in April 1960.[2] He went on to play 172 league games for Rangers, scoring 46 league goals, then transferred to Oldham Athletic in 1966 and later had spells at Reading, Luton Town and Cambridge United.[1]

He became a cult hero at QPR after famously scoring a hatrick of headers in a game versus Hull City. Collins also scored a fourth, although this was discounted by match official Cedric Tomlinson.

Ken Wagstaff of Hull later described the performance as: "A hatrick of headers - that's certainly something I'd never be able to do."

Thanks for that mate,underrated so he was.
Getting back to the Scots geezer Bobby Collins,wasn't he one of the shortest,if not THE shortest ever senior players?Even smaller than SWP?

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:37 - Apr 16 with 3644 viewsmorgantwin

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 09:58 - Apr 16 by TheBlob

Getting back to the Scots geezer Bobby Collins,wasn't he one of the shortest,if not THE shortest ever senior players?Even smaller than SWP?

i think bobby collins was 5ft4inches tall,there was also a chelsea player called tommy harmer who was also very short

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:43 - Apr 16 with 3637 viewsterryb

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 17:58 - Apr 15 by ShotKneesHoop

Actually, my memory (not very reliable), tells me that Bobby Collins was the only player in that horrible team that didn't deliberately set out to injure opponents.

That jovial Irishman, Mr. John Giles, was another matter!
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:06 - Apr 16 with 3603 viewsBrianMcCarthy

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 10:43 - Apr 16 by terryb

Actually, my memory (not very reliable), tells me that Bobby Collins was the only player in that horrible team that didn't deliberately set out to injure opponents.

That jovial Irishman, Mr. John Giles, was another matter!

Terryb,

Giles is a curious one. the subject of whether he was a dirty player, clean player or hard-but-fair player is swept under the carpet by his mates in the media. The only man who ever mentioned it was his great friend Eamon Dunphy who alleged that Giles deliberately broke an opponenet's leg while playing for Leeds. Giles didn't talk to Dunphy for ages ad protested his innocence,but his denials sounded unconvincing to me.

I don't remember him well. What's your memory of him?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:27 - Apr 16 with 3588 viewseasthertsr

Giles was a great player but a right nasty piece of work. Kicks out when no-one was looking, big scrapes down the back of legs etc.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:04 - Apr 16 with 3562 viewsElHoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:27 - Apr 16 by easthertsr

Giles was a great player but a right nasty piece of work. Kicks out when no-one was looking, big scrapes down the back of legs etc.

I was too young to 'appreciate' Giles but my dad always maintained that he was the sneakiest of a bunch of dirty bastards, along with Allan Clarke. Dad didn't mind the likes of Hunter and Charlton because they would take it as well as dish it out. I think that Terry Cooper was probably the one exception. He was good enough do do what he liked.
the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:04 - Apr 16 with 3560 viewsShotKneesHoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 09:58 - Apr 16 by TheBlob

Unfortunately Collins could kick both a ball and a player. SWP can only trip himself up,

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:36 - Apr 16 with 3527 views18StoneOfHoop

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:04 - Apr 16 by ElHoop

I was too young to 'appreciate' Giles but my dad always maintained that he was the sneakiest of a bunch of dirty bastards, along with Allan Clarke. Dad didn't mind the likes of Hunter and Charlton because they would take it as well as dish it out. I think that Terry Cooper was probably the one exception. He was good enough do do what he liked.

Tremendous thread.
Magic morgantwin memories and explanations - fook me he's a great man for an uncannily accurate skinheadcount..no exaggeration..seems like it was verily like The Gangs of New York round The Bush in the late 60's except for the likes of Goochie,Ellacott,Collins & Mark Gregory all being far harder than mincy wall luvvie Daniel Day-Lewis (Bob The Butcher).. and oh yes Percy Dalton's unshelled peanuts from the geezer in the white coat on the Loft steps.

Great stuff about 68/69 - the catuality - from QPR Report here:
http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/5827

So apologies to swerve slightly off-topic below >>

We all foo king hate Leeds..

Spot Don Givens:

Well worth watching the exceptional historical entertaining YouTube clips below. David Peace got his whole 'Damned United' novel synopsis from this programme & its follow-up seven weeks later.
Magnificent,fantastic Old Big Ead Brian Clough v the press on day 2 of his 44 day stay at Leeds.He speaks with formidable hilarious eloquence on the topic of the Yorkshire counts - "they've sold themselves short as men and as players for 10 years".
Heart-on-sleeve tell-it-like-it-is combative Clough is here the inverse of a cagey platidudinous anodyne Redknapp at a Friday presser:

[Post edited 16 Apr 2014 15:35]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 13:50 - Apr 16 with 3510 viewsTheBlob

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 12:06 - Apr 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Terryb,

Giles is a curious one. the subject of whether he was a dirty player, clean player or hard-but-fair player is swept under the carpet by his mates in the media. The only man who ever mentioned it was his great friend Eamon Dunphy who alleged that Giles deliberately broke an opponenet's leg while playing for Leeds. Giles didn't talk to Dunphy for ages ad protested his innocence,but his denials sounded unconvincing to me.

I don't remember him well. What's your memory of him?

Quite simply the best passer of the ball I ever saw.Had this knack of hardly striking the ball but it went miles,a flick of the outside of the instep and usually into the path of a winger.No pace,but could we get the ball off him?
Never saw him being dirty - didn't need to be with the likes of Charlton,Hunter,Bremner and Lorimer to back him up.
Don Masson was in the same mould but not quite as good.

Johnny Giles rhyming slang for piles btw.

Why can't we produce players like that anymore - radar vision and delivery?

the evolution of the loft 1967-68 season on 14:31 - Apr 16 with 3469 viewsheadhoops

just had a cup of tea and thought I should see read this thread and pleased I did. Nine pages long and not one mention of Barton, Adel and Mackie.

Thanks Morgan Twin for the thread and memories and for finally proving that skinheadism and spelling are not compatible.

What know you about our run ins with Coventry - they were regular and lively.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024