Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flat roofed pubs.. 13:43 - Apr 29 with 124723 viewsPommyhoop

As mentioned by Konk in the Morhinio thread. Flat roofed pubs are normally shiteholes which are suited to and are normally frequented by a good few Scum supporters. Here's my offering as one of the roughest ,worst boozers I've ever been in .
The Beaver in Beaver's Estate Hounslow .Now that was a REAL shithole!!
Looks like its closed down.Thank F@ck...

Add your own wonderful flat roofed watering holes...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:57 - Jul 2 with 11689 viewsnadera78

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:11 - Jul 2 by Konk

About twenty years ago, I chucked a sickie to help a mate move house. He was moving out to Hatfield in Hertfordshire and when we finished the move, we went to three or four pubs and these two stuck out.

First up was the Harrier, which was brilliant because on a midweek afternoon, there were people openly smoking weed in the bar, and in the days before pub khazis were full of blokes doing coke, the landlord had to politely ask two of the locals to go to the toilet to do their coke as he’d get in trouble if they carried on snorting it at the bar. They just ignored him. There was also a fella selling stolen meat from a sports bag, whilst his mate was knocking out stolen shampoo, razor blades, deodorant etc. Everything you could ever need, brought to you in the pub by a couple of shifty looking blokes - probably the inspiration for Ocado’s home deliveries. Great pub — stayed for two or three pints during which time we just sat quietly in the corner taking it all in. Oh, and it had “This is free Hatfield” painted on the wall outside in the style of The Bogside.

Then we moved onto this pub in the town centre, but I’m sure it had a different name back then — technically it’s not a flat roof, but it really ought to be. Only stayed for one drink as everyone in there seemed to be on the verge of kicking-off. Genuinely horrible boozer.

I was offered packs of meat for sale - all in Morrisons' packaging - in the British Queen a couple of years back. I politely declined, despite the assurance that the landlord would stick it in the fridge for me until I was ready to leave. That same day I saw a girl buy a pair of jeans and a handbag for a tenner in there.

Anyone know what's happening with the British Queen? Being refurbished or converted?
Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:03 - Jul 2 with 11675 viewsStraightR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:11 - Jul 2 by Konk

About twenty years ago, I chucked a sickie to help a mate move house. He was moving out to Hatfield in Hertfordshire and when we finished the move, we went to three or four pubs and these two stuck out.

First up was the Harrier, which was brilliant because on a midweek afternoon, there were people openly smoking weed in the bar, and in the days before pub khazis were full of blokes doing coke, the landlord had to politely ask two of the locals to go to the toilet to do their coke as he’d get in trouble if they carried on snorting it at the bar. They just ignored him. There was also a fella selling stolen meat from a sports bag, whilst his mate was knocking out stolen shampoo, razor blades, deodorant etc. Everything you could ever need, brought to you in the pub by a couple of shifty looking blokes - probably the inspiration for Ocado’s home deliveries. Great pub — stayed for two or three pints during which time we just sat quietly in the corner taking it all in. Oh, and it had “This is free Hatfield” painted on the wall outside in the style of The Bogside.

Then we moved onto this pub in the town centre, but I’m sure it had a different name back then — technically it’s not a flat roof, but it really ought to be. Only stayed for one drink as everyone in there seemed to be on the verge of kicking-off. Genuinely horrible boozer.

Ouch! I remember The Harrier. Truly awful pub. Friend of mine lived down the road from there for a while. He emigrated to Australia, probably an unrelated decision.
(No subject) on 15:30 - Jul 2 with 11645 viewsKonk

Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:03 - Jul 2 by StraightR

Ouch! I remember The Harrier. Truly awful pub. Friend of mine lived down the road from there for a while. He emigrated to Australia, probably an unrelated decision.

I can’t believe someone else has been there! It was edgy enough on a midweek afternoon, so must be a bit lively at night. If I remember rightly, it was before all-day opening, so refugees from other pubs were drinking in there waiting for the other pubs to open later in the day. Did it still have “This is free Hatfield” painted on the wall when you visited?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

(No subject) on 16:46 - Jul 2 with 11599 viewsStraightR

(No subject) on 15:30 - Jul 2 by Konk

I can’t believe someone else has been there! It was edgy enough on a midweek afternoon, so must be a bit lively at night. If I remember rightly, it was before all-day opening, so refugees from other pubs were drinking in there waiting for the other pubs to open later in the day. Did it still have “This is free Hatfield” painted on the wall when you visited?

It was a long time ago now - maybe mid 1990s but too many brain cells lost now to be any more precise. We only ever ventured into the place twice. Both times around 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon as I recall. Everyone in the place was totally off their faces already so yep it must have been a bit lively later in the day. I always thought the graffiti added to the general ambience!
Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:58 - Jul 3 with 11486 viewsPommyhoop

This is my local now..

North Lakes Tavern.
Looks the part ,flat roof ,blends effortlessly,seamlessly into its bland shopping centre environment.
Thats where the comparison stops.It is a boring ,no atmosphere shell of a place .Give me a proper flat roof pub any day...Used to be good when I first come over but that was only the Pomms holding it together.It was like the Red Lion in the middle of Mecca. There was even a few little tussles with the local post code gang.Well funny .40 year old fellas tripping over their flip flops..Then we got older and got our citizenship and sort of let it go ..
Just Barbies and dinner parties now.
God I'd f'cking kill for a session in a old school flat roofed pub.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:51 - Jul 3 with 11448 viewsR_from_afar

I’ve got to share this with you while we are on the subject of pubs: There was, maybe still is, a pub in Leamington Spa — not a flat roofed one, sadly — which used to be called something normal like “The Carpenters”. In the 90s, its owners had a serious brain fade and decided to change the name to something more trendy and leftfield. The name they came up with is surely the most naff name for a hostelry ever: Granny mouse’s townhouse.

#whatweretheythinking

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:45 - Feb 26 with 10826 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Such an epic thread as reminded about in the 'diverse' thread.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:15 - Feb 26 with 10784 viewsNorthernr

Still my favourite LFW thread. Apart from that one where that lad pooed himself in Warren Fox's house.
Login to get fewer ads

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:19 - Feb 26 with 10769 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That pub in my post is no longer there but was a right old dodgy boozer in the middle of the Roundshaw Estate in Sutton.
Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:47 - Feb 26 with 10720 viewsMick_S

Great to have this one back.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:57 - Feb 26 with 10715 viewspaulparker

Not a flat roof pub but should be, a proper flea pit , been raided more times than gary glitters lap top , its about 30 minutes walk
it had fights , stabbings, was raided for drugs , guns the lot , its even got its very own ropey local bird who gives you a blow job if you get her a pint of john smiths
its now run believe it or not by a gang of Albanians who do the car wash in the car park and surprise , surprise its been raided 3 times by immigration,
only last NYE a local gang put the windows in with baseball bats

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Flat roofed pubs.. on 16:32 - Feb 26 with 10637 viewsDorse

Shield and Dagger, Swindon. Roughly what you needed to survive a Friday night in the public bar. I once got thrown out, physically, by means of collar and belt through the closed door. The barman used to box at heavyweight and was not the man with whom to fcuk. I reappeared a couple of days later, sheepishly asking whether I was allowed back in. He didn't kill me so I assumed it was ok.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Flat roofed pubs.. on 16:39 - Feb 26 with 10627 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not a pic of a bar's flat roof, and neither is it your normal SkySports advertising banner...but it is a banner advertising 'sport' taking place in a flat roofed bar, that I would walk past to get to my old local in Manila.

To be fair, its always where I thought SWP would see out his career.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 07:40 - Feb 27 with 10485 viewsmikeygunn

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:05 - Apr 29 by Northernr

The potent smell of Iron Bru laced vomit mixed with blood in an old carpet can reach as far south as Bedford when the wind blows correctly.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I used to go to the candle @ lunchtime when I was @ school. I didn't do very well in my GCSE's.
Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:48 - Apr 11 with 10173 viewsKonk

The Jolly Roger in Easton, Bristol: I don’t care about the actual pitch of the actual roof, this is a flat-roof pub, all day long. I think it's the signs that do it.

The pub’s just celebrated its second shooting in under a year:

http://www.bristol247.com/channel/news-comment/daily/crime/teenagers-arrested-ov

Can you ever imagine suggesting a quick pint or Friday night in the Jolly Roger?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:57 - Apr 11 with 10154 viewsToast_R

The Surveyor, This pub was the stuff of legend around West Molesey. Closed before I moved to the area though but I've heard a few stories.

[Post edited 11 Apr 2016 14:57]
Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:22 - Apr 11 with 10111 viewspaulparker

forgot about this delectable little dog hole, the only pub ive ever known that you have to be buzzed into , plenty of mad scots drink in here , a few years back a fella was cut open from the back of his neck to his lower back

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:38 - Apr 11 with 10082 viewsCiderwithRsie

I must say I'm looking forward to all these places following the Springbok's lead and turning into gastropubs. Especially if it means the likes of A A Gill have to spend the rest of their professional lives in them.
Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:43 - Apr 11 with 10067 viewsPigbag

Flat roofed pubs.. on 14:57 - Apr 11 by Toast_R

The Surveyor, This pub was the stuff of legend around West Molesey. Closed before I moved to the area though but I've heard a few stories.

[Post edited 11 Apr 2016 14:57]

I live in West Molesey and frequented The Surveyor a few times, the stories are real.
Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:46 - Apr 11 with 10061 viewshopphoops

Flat roofed pubs.. on 15:38 - Apr 11 by CiderwithRsie

I must say I'm looking forward to all these places following the Springbok's lead and turning into gastropubs. Especially if it means the likes of A A Gill have to spend the rest of their professional lives in them.

I was just fondly recalling Charlie Wrights International Bar in Hoxton which was a refreshingly flat-roofy late boozer in the mid-90s and has apparently followed the sad trajectory of gentrify > hipsterize > close.

Them were the days etc...

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 11:11 - Aug 3 with 9426 viewsaston_hoop

While having an idle look at reading about Wolves new players, I was grabbed by an article about this pub! What a fantastic specimen of a flat roofed pub!

corresponding article about local shenanigans at said pub
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-news/2016/08/02/drinkers-flee-after-gun

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 12:42 - Aug 3 with 9344 viewsR_from_afar

Flat roofed pubs.. on 11:11 - Aug 3 by aston_hoop

While having an idle look at reading about Wolves new players, I was grabbed by an article about this pub! What a fantastic specimen of a flat roofed pub!

corresponding article about local shenanigans at said pub
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-news/2016/08/02/drinkers-flee-after-gun

"Bosses there now face having strict conditions placed on their licence as police asked for it to be reviewed. They include rules that security guards be employed to search for weapons..."

That doesn't exactly make for a relaxing pie and a pint, does it?

Man alive.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:07 - Aug 3 with 9320 viewsRBlock

This was my favourite/worst flat roof pub experience. Didn't even bother with any a proper sign or naming the thing, just boshed that Carlsberg tarpaulin up. The place was empty. Not only devoid of customers, (and only about 4 stools around a table that was covered in some sort of viscous material, but also lacked anyone behind the actual bar. As we turned to leave this 20 something scally came in with his takeaway, apologised for the wait, walked behind the bar, and proceeded to pour a pint, whilst shovelling chips and curry sauce into his mouth with the other hand.
Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:10 - Aug 3 with 9307 viewsJeff

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:07 - Aug 3 by RBlock

This was my favourite/worst flat roof pub experience. Didn't even bother with any a proper sign or naming the thing, just boshed that Carlsberg tarpaulin up. The place was empty. Not only devoid of customers, (and only about 4 stools around a table that was covered in some sort of viscous material, but also lacked anyone behind the actual bar. As we turned to leave this 20 something scally came in with his takeaway, apologised for the wait, walked behind the bar, and proceeded to pour a pint, whilst shovelling chips and curry sauce into his mouth with the other hand.

and yet you're still more likely to find me here than the f*cking Defectors Weld...

Can we not knock it?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:39 - Aug 3 with 9264 viewsRBlock

Flat roofed pubs.. on 13:10 - Aug 3 by Jeff

and yet you're still more likely to find me here than the f*cking Defectors Weld...

Well if you want to nip up to Liverpool for a 2 pound pint of Carlsberg in a sticky glass, be my guest! I'd rather pay 6 pound for a craft IPA brewed in a copper bath tub somewhere in Hackney by a man who has to wear a beard net.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024