Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? 10:43 - May 17 with 6570 viewsNorthernr

As part of the build up this week, going to run a special history column about our three previous visits to Wembley (yes, including 1986) and for this I'd like people who were there on the four trips to answer some questions for us to include in the piece. So we'll start with 1967 if we can, few questions below for those of you lucky enough to be there....

1 - What was the highlight of the run to the final for you? What are your memories of the victories against Leicester and Birmingham?
2 - What was the preparation for the final like? How did you get your tickets, how much did they cost, where in the ground were you?
3 - What was the atmosphere like, describe the moment the teams came out, and the goals went in, and the cup was lifted....
4 - What was the game like? What are your abiding memories of the match?
5 - How did you celebrate afterwards?
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 11:41 - May 17 with 4166 viewsqprsludger

Highlight of the run up was undoubtably the 4-2 v Leicester followed closely by Mark's run up the wing in his jockstrap v Carlysle
I was 13 a schoolfriend of ours brother got the tickets and I remember waiting frantically for him to come home on the day of the final, watching the walk go past in East Acton
We were at the Rangers end just to the right of the tunnel where the teams come out.
The atmosphere was fantastic I'm getting goose bumps now, the things I can remember were the beating of the drum and what seemed like the whole ground singing Rooodneeeeee
The chant of ROOODNEEE wasn't really about Rodney it was like a war chant that encompassed who we were at that time.
I remember crying at half time and wondering how an ex QPR player could be so cruel to score 2 goals against his ex club on such an occasion
The Morgan header from a corner was the start
Rodney's goal was and still is the best goal I have seen scored at wembley
I remember Ron Hunt clattered the goalie and was lucky to get away with it. Lazarus turning away
Too young to go to the pub after but got home and watched the replay that night with my mum &dad.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 11:59 - May 17 with 4135 viewspaulparker

nice story sludger

My Dad went with my nan & grandand, dad only got tickets as for weeks before him and his mates would go to wembley and help clean the terraces,seats, surronding areas etc
anyway a bloke then came out and gave them a load of tickets for their help, (he done the same thing during the world cup in 66)
still got dads rattle from the final,
the old man also said that rodneys goal was the best he had seen at wembley
but then he was biased

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:42 - May 17 with 4079 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Back then I suppose you would have to call me a glory hunter. Father brought up in Fulham had taken me to White City to see QPR in 1962. In 1967 I was a second year Uni student and had been to most of the west and north London grounds that season, perhaps half a dozen Rangers matches. Loved Loftus Road, the fun atmosphere and banter. It was different. Living in Northolt it was easy to get to. Suppose I became a QPR addict that day in 1967.

1. No recollection of cup run other than semi-f highlights.
2. Joined a very long queue in Ellerslie Road on the offchance there would be some tickets left.
Will scrabble around in the memorabilia box for facts. I have a programme, rosette and possibly other stuff (ticket, clippings?).
3. Atmosphere was other worldly. Rodn-eeeee echoing around the stadium over and over. Everyone gave it full welly. The goals......you see them on the film clips. Lets be honest they were nothing special. As for other feedback it's a long time ago.
4. as above
5. Reflect and bask mainly.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 13:21 - May 17 with 4041 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

I'd only months before been taken to my first R's game in October 1966 as a 7 year old (beat Leyton Orient 4-1) and back then used to go to more Reserve games as they were safer and were very popular with good crowds. I remember the semi final as dad went to Birmingham for the second leg. The result, although obviously brilliant was somewhat tarnished by the death of some R's fans returning south by car. I can't remember the full details now but this stuck in my mind more than the result, even to this day.

I remember when final tickets were on sale, myself and older brother pleading to go to the game. You could queue outside Ellerslie during the day for tickets but also, Jim Gregory, never one to miss a quick buck, put tickets on sale inside the ground during an evening Reserve team game meaning you had to pay to get in before joining the queue for final tickets. It would have only been pennies but it all adds up. In those days you could also buy tickets directly from the Wembley Box Office in person. All of the admin offices and changing rooms were under the old Ellerslie Rd stand back then as no other stand had been built.

Adult terrace tickets were 5 shillings (25p) and the best seat in the house 25 shillings (£1.25p).

On the day of the game four of us went in my cousins very old Ford Anglia and eventually entered the stadium. Can you imagine the look on my face? Dad thought it safer if us kids were at the very back but obviously didn't factor in that we wouldn't see anything as we were only small. He then managed to clear away the barbed wire from on top of the wall and sat us high up for a great view.

The actual game is now a blur part from the winning goal as we didn't know if it had been allowed and kept looking at the man in the white coat to see if he changed the score at the far end scoreboard.

I wasn't old enough to celebrate much but I was excited about a large helium balloon given to me after the game by the vendor who was using it as a display. He said he wanted to cheer me up thinking I was a West Brom fan. I had it for weeks after until my brother popped it. I was distraught.
[Post edited 18 May 2014 8:04]
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 13:24 - May 17 with 4036 viewswortonranger

1. I went to all the home games. The highlight was the game v Leicester where the impossible became possible. At school all my friends supported the big London teams ( at the time Spurs were the natural home of the glory hunters). There were household names in the Leicester team like Gordon Banks and Derek Dougan. My best memory was when we scored after the ball hit the bar bounced onto Banks and went into the net. I was sat on a crush barrier supported by my dad (couldn't see otherwise) and nearly fell off.
The first game v Birmingham also sticks in my mind because the highlights were on the telly -they began the broadcast with a massive spoiler about it being a surprise or something and it was.
2. no idea how we got tickets, but we were to the left of the goal where all the goals went in I had made a white flag out of a sheet with QPR on it in black tape. I manged to waft it over the people in front spoiling their view.I like to kid myself that it can be seen on the video of the game. I remember not understanding why Rodney's first half "goal" didn't stand and thinking it was a foul leading up to the winning goal. My son( a fellow R of course) now works with Jay who helped to make and carry the famous coffin and will be there next Saturday).
3.Atmosphere was amazing, especially for a young lad -like a dream.
4. At school I wrote a 26 page account of the game for English that helped me to win a prize (beating Michael Portillo and Clive Anderson by the way and look where they ended up!). Too young to celebrate but memories for a lifetime!
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 13:35 - May 17 with 4020 viewsRsStaines

1-Highlight would probably be the game at Birmingham packed like sardines but what an atmosphere and some very cruel baiting of the police about Harry Roberts.

2-There was about 20 of us that went and queued outside the ground in Ellerslie Road about 11pm after we had been to the pub. Had a car parked up the road so took it in turns to go and have a kip. Sometime during the night a bit of a kick about started and then the police turned up told us to keep the noise down and then joined in the kick about.Price of ticket I can't remember gave the stub and programme to a nephew who supported the R's but couldn,t go to games because of a medical condition.
3-The atmosphere was incredible and then there goals went in and the fans went a bit quiet but as we came back into the game and our goals went in and that chant of Rodnee Rodnee grew and grew.
I took a 3ft copper hunting horn with me(imagine trying to take that into Wembley next Saturday) and my Gran had made this banner out of a blue and white striped(hooped )blanket with QPR and a silver cup on it.I wasn't great at playing that thing but it did make a lot of noise.
4- The football overall wasn't great but its the result that counts.
5- We made our way back to Shepherds Bush and I think we might have stopped a few times for some liquid refreshment on the way and then it became a bit of a haze until very late the next day.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 14:28 - May 17 with 3970 viewsmurge

1. Only saw the the semi finals on a tv highlights programme as it was a school night, but that season with Rodney on fire I never doubted we could win every game , as long as he was fit.
2. My old man used to know a tout from work and he got me 4 tickets for the game at cost price ( I think it was about 5 shillings each or 25p in today's money ). I played football for the school in the morning and after the game finished, me and the other 3 changed and set off for Wembley in an old Standard 8. Parked in the stadium car park ( again only a few shillings) and took our place on the terraces, just above the tunnel and slightly to the left.
Most of the ground apart from the far end was Rangers. It was the first time the League Cup was played at Wembley and as the underdogs we took all the neutral support.
3. The atmosphere was fantastic. Electricty in the air. The Rangers drum beat out its rhythm and the whole stadium rang out to Rodnee , Rodnee, Rodnee.. By half time the
support was only slightly muted athough we had been outplayed and were 2 goals down to our old boy Clive Clark. We had looked a little bit nervous and tentative in that 1st half but that all changed after half time. The support grew louder and the team suddenly were causing West Brom problems. As soon as Roger Morgan scored with a header there was only going to be one winner. Rodney's goal was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The chants of Rodnee, Rodnee grew even louder. The winner was greeted by a
nano second of silence as there was some doubt that Ron Hunt ( what was he doing that far forward ? ) might have fouled their keeper, but the ref signalled and the roar rang out. Don't remember much after that except the victory lap .
4.The 1st half was pretty bad, as Rangers never really got going. Rodney's goal was certainly the best bit of football in the match. All the 5 goals were scored at the tunnel end so had a great view of our winner. Some refs would have disallowed it and in the modern game it would probably have resulted in a West Brom free kick. But Rangers
were worthy winners as they tore the 1st division team apart in that 2nd half.
5. Took us a lifetime to find the car in the car park as we were all too excited before the match to make a note of where we had parked. Got To a local pub about 8pm ,shattered but happy, had something to eat and then home and watched the highlights on tv( Match of The DayI think )
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 17:05 - May 17 with 3854 viewsTHEBUSH

I was there, but can't remember too much really, probably drink was the culprit !!

I was also at the World Cup Final the year before, so '66 and '67 were the best two football years of my life.

Before and after the game we went to a pub called, (I think,) Harrow on the Hill, bit of a soulless place, but at least it sold beer.

I also remember in the old Wembley people used to piss on the terraces, as the bogs were worse, just bitumen covered walls, ah the good old days.
Login to get fewer ads

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 17:13 - May 17 with 3850 viewssexton

I went to my first game that season but annoyingly don't know which one. Not Wembley, maybe a few weeks before. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gone to any midweek games. I'd become interested in football the previous year because of the World Cup. I knew something was up at the Rangers because of my Dad's excitement. Every other week he'd come home after yet another thumping win.

We lived in East Acton at the time. I've no memory of getting there or back. Possibly by bus.

I was a 9. The crowds, noise, size of the ground were all new to me. My overwhelming memory is of Rod-neee echoing around the ground. It was our best-ever chant and everybody sang it!

It was disappointing to be 2 down at half time, but I had a childlike optimism that we weren't out of it. We'd had a goal disallowed for offside (a Rodney bicycle kick?) Our goals are a blur, but I can remember going beserk when the winner went in.

I've still got my ticket somewhere (5 bob - 25p?), my programme, the scarf my Mum knitted, and a 1967 souvenir ashtray (unblemished by cigarettes or ash).

One of my most vivid memories is of leaving the stadium. I was obviously making a lot of noise and an older West Brom fan turned to me and said 'we won it last year so now it's your turn', which I thought was really nice of him.

That season, that win, the Rod-nee chant, Rodney himself, the number 10 shirt, the blue and white hoops, our name - QPR - cemented in me the unshakable notion that we were, are a special club.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 17:50 - May 17 with 3838 viewsPinnerR

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 17:05 - May 17 by THEBUSH

I was there, but can't remember too much really, probably drink was the culprit !!

I was also at the World Cup Final the year before, so '66 and '67 were the best two football years of my life.

Before and after the game we went to a pub called, (I think,) Harrow on the Hill, bit of a soulless place, but at least it sold beer.

I also remember in the old Wembley people used to piss on the terraces, as the bogs were worse, just bitumen covered walls, ah the good old days.

Bush, i suspect that the pub was The Harrow Tavern. it was souless that night because me and my dad were celebrating elsewhere!
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 17:51 - May 17 with 3836 viewsVancouverHoop

1 - I've no memories of the run-up to the final. I wasn't a QPR supporter at the time. As a seventeen-year-old, living in Stevenage, and no money for transportation my football was kept strictly local. I did keep an half-an eye on their results because I liked Rodney – also Mark Lazarus for some reason. I was also vaguely sympathetic to the club as a young kid. There was an old geezer at the end of our street who'd wander off somewhere early Saturday wearing a blue and white scarf. One day someone said: "Eh, he goes to watch QPR! Silly old git!" Everyone laughed like drains – they were all wannabe Spurs supporters back then. I admired his loyalty, there were no special buses to Loftus Road, like there were to White Hart Lane and Highbury, it must have been an all day trip for him. After that I kept half an eye on his club

2 - My Dad got the tickets from one of his clients. He was given Rugby League final tickets every year, and this being the first year the League Cup Final was at Wembley (I think?), they papered the house a bit perhaps, and he was given a pair of them too. We were fairly far back but almost opposite the royal box, good seats.

3 - Brilliant. It's the only time I was ever at Wembley for a football match.

4 - It couldn't have been more exciting. Marsh's goal I must have replayed in my head for weeks afterwards and Lazurus's topped it all of course. I'm sure it was only the second time in my life I'd seen "my team" – I was definitely an R's fan by kick-off – come back from two goals down at half-time.

5 - We didn't. My Dad's DNA was strictly Sheffield United. He enjoyed the match as a neutral, but it was back in the car and up the A1, home in time for tea as usual. Me, I was buzzing. I wasn't able to watch QPR again until I moved to London two years later, but after that I was in the Loft for every match.
[Post edited 17 May 2014 17:57]
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 18:04 - May 17 with 3811 viewsPinnerR

1. Well obviously the Leicester and Brum matches were great. Thanks for reminding me about Lazarus in his jock strap later on! I also have this idea that Mark used to come out smoking a fag before every match and stub it out on the touchline before going on the pitch...or did I dream that?

2. My dad was a mate of Tony Ingham. Say no more.

3. Amazing buzz and I had my blue and white rattle. Elf and safety put paid to them. Rodney's goal was wonderful and the drum and the RODDDDNNNNEEE chant would have intimidated anyone, even in a stadium the size of Wembley. I think poor old 38 year old Jim Langley was almost dragged around on the lap of honour.

4. Back to the Met Railway club next to Wembley Park Station (now the Ark Academy School!) for celebrations long into the night, causing this 16 year old to have the most monumental hangover which lasted for days. Worth every moment though.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 18:53 - May 17 with 3791 viewsSINGINGDETECTIVE

I was 15 at the time walked to wembley with a few mates, we had a home made banner , fell to bits on the way so was promptly binned

got the tickets off my uncle who lived next door to brian bedford ,
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 20:37 - May 17 with 3714 viewsTheBlob

The Leicester game was probably the best of all the ties,what a night,something magic about that fllodlit fixture,crackling atmosphere and paraded before us some of the top flights' illuminati,the first time I'd experinced a game against international grade opposition.And we mullered them.There was the famous incident,in front ot the Ellerslie,where Mark Lazarus got his shorts ripped and he was in the process of changing same when someone passed the ball to him and he shot off likr a startled rabbit clutching the new attire.Recollections :Derek Dougan scoring a class goal,I forget who scored for us but the ball crashed off the bar and rebounded into the net from World Cup winner Gordon Banks.
My voice came back after about three days.

I saw the Birmingham second leg game,a bit muted since we'd won at their place 4-1.Saw the highlights of that one on the box.Quite extraordinary.

The Final saw myself and my two brothers behind the goal where all the efforts went in.The action you know about,but I had the misfortune to be stuck behing some humungoid with a bald head on which roamed all afternoon a spectacular green fly.Gradually the ebb and flow of the crowd saw him pushed aside.2-0 down I was probably the only one in the ground who thought we'd lose after a thoroughly disappointing first half.It was oh so different second half,good movement and possession.When the Mark Lazarus winner went in some geezer marches down the terracing and vigorously tousled my fine blonde locks.I never saw him again.
We'd gone three two up.Do you remember those two erks at the opposite end of the stadium?Up on the gantry and whose sole job was to put up the score?They couldn't decide if Mark's goal was valid and dithered about while the R's supporters shouted "3-2 you dozy c*nts."
That Rodneeeeeee chant,it was more like a long drawn out lament than anything else - never heard anything like it before and since.Even the goose bumps had bumps.Rodney had received his tankard and was walking rather lugubriously towards the tunnel...."what's the matter wiv 'im,is he constipated or sumfink?"offers a voice.So we all gave him a bit of a verbal gee-up and he's leaping about like a puppet jerked around on a string
Final cheer was for the coffin hoisted aloft and paraded out the back of the stadium.
We literally floated home after that,on a perfumed sea of golden aural and visual memories.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 20:48 - May 17 with 3701 viewsPinnerR

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 20:37 - May 17 by TheBlob

The Leicester game was probably the best of all the ties,what a night,something magic about that fllodlit fixture,crackling atmosphere and paraded before us some of the top flights' illuminati,the first time I'd experinced a game against international grade opposition.And we mullered them.There was the famous incident,in front ot the Ellerslie,where Mark Lazarus got his shorts ripped and he was in the process of changing same when someone passed the ball to him and he shot off likr a startled rabbit clutching the new attire.Recollections :Derek Dougan scoring a class goal,I forget who scored for us but the ball crashed off the bar and rebounded into the net from World Cup winner Gordon Banks.
My voice came back after about three days.

I saw the Birmingham second leg game,a bit muted since we'd won at their place 4-1.Saw the highlights of that one on the box.Quite extraordinary.

The Final saw myself and my two brothers behind the goal where all the efforts went in.The action you know about,but I had the misfortune to be stuck behing some humungoid with a bald head on which roamed all afternoon a spectacular green fly.Gradually the ebb and flow of the crowd saw him pushed aside.2-0 down I was probably the only one in the ground who thought we'd lose after a thoroughly disappointing first half.It was oh so different second half,good movement and possession.When the Mark Lazarus winner went in some geezer marches down the terracing and vigorously tousled my fine blonde locks.I never saw him again.
We'd gone three two up.Do you remember those two erks at the opposite end of the stadium?Up on the gantry and whose sole job was to put up the score?They couldn't decide if Mark's goal was valid and dithered about while the R's supporters shouted "3-2 you dozy c*nts."
That Rodneeeeeee chant,it was more like a long drawn out lament than anything else - never heard anything like it before and since.Even the goose bumps had bumps.Rodney had received his tankard and was walking rather lugubriously towards the tunnel...."what's the matter wiv 'im,is he constipated or sumfink?"offers a voice.So we all gave him a bit of a verbal gee-up and he's leaping about like a puppet jerked around on a string
Final cheer was for the coffin hoisted aloft and paraded out the back of the stadium.
We literally floated home after that,on a perfumed sea of golden aural and visual memories.

It was Rodney, of course, who passed to Laz.

I also recall earlier in the season, at Leyton Orient, someone, probably a Morgan, gave a wonderful crossfield pass to Rodney which he promptly caught, ran with to the goal line and scored a try!

What a wag was our Rod.

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 23:41 - May 17 with 3626 viewsqprmick

Thanks for all the memories, brought it all back. I was the only one in our group who thought we would come back from 0-2. We were virtually unbeatable that year so I knew we would come back. Went to Brum, great evening. probably saw most, if not all of the other games. In the Final we went down because Tony Hazell went after Clive Clark, in the second half, he settled down and Clark was never in the game again. World Cup and Rangers in consecutive years how good can it get?

Qprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 00:16 - May 18 with 3608 viewsGloryHunter

My dad was a Rangers supporter from birth, but I don't remember him ever going to games when we were kids. Then, one night, he came home late, in an ebullient mood. He said he'd seen QPR win a big game, and did I fancy going to see them at Loftus Road on Saturday. My first league game was the one against Watford.

I don't know where the League Cup final tickets came from, but it can't have been that difficult, because my mum came too. (The following couple of years I got tickets for the League Cup Final by postal application - including Swindon beating Arsenal).

There was fantastic support from the Rs fans. Apart from the Rooodney chant, there was a constant "Rangers - clap clap clap - Rangers - clap clap clap" (the last time I heard this was at the play-off semi final against Oldham).

I remember being pretty resigned to our fate at half time - after all, West Brom were 2-0 up and were the first div team. But the second half was amazing, and all the Rs goals were scored right in front of our position, level with the eighteen yard line.

Celebrated with a bag of crisps and a can of coke, and being allowed to stay up late to watch the highlights on TV. And being taken to every QPR home game by my dad from then on.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 00:35 - May 18 with 3597 viewsqprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 00:16 - May 18 by GloryHunter

My dad was a Rangers supporter from birth, but I don't remember him ever going to games when we were kids. Then, one night, he came home late, in an ebullient mood. He said he'd seen QPR win a big game, and did I fancy going to see them at Loftus Road on Saturday. My first league game was the one against Watford.

I don't know where the League Cup final tickets came from, but it can't have been that difficult, because my mum came too. (The following couple of years I got tickets for the League Cup Final by postal application - including Swindon beating Arsenal).

There was fantastic support from the Rs fans. Apart from the Rooodney chant, there was a constant "Rangers - clap clap clap - Rangers - clap clap clap" (the last time I heard this was at the play-off semi final against Oldham).

I remember being pretty resigned to our fate at half time - after all, West Brom were 2-0 up and were the first div team. But the second half was amazing, and all the Rs goals were scored right in front of our position, level with the eighteen yard line.

Celebrated with a bag of crisps and a can of coke, and being allowed to stay up late to watch the highlights on TV. And being taken to every QPR home game by my dad from then on.

Hopefullly this Wembley Final can be the start of a life time love of Rangers with the next generation. In '67 tickets were readily available, as has been said in this thread 3 sides of Wembley were for the Rs

Qprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 08:06 - May 18 with 3517 viewsShotKneesHoop

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 00:35 - May 18 by qprmick

Hopefullly this Wembley Final can be the start of a life time love of Rangers with the next generation. In '67 tickets were readily available, as has been said in this thread 3 sides of Wembley were for the Rs

Went to them all except the away tie at Brum.

Best game? 4 -2 against Leicester - never ever heard that much noise from a QPR crowd - I went to work next day unable to speak having screamed myself hoarse. Dougan was brilliant that night, as soon as we scored each of the first two goals - he pulled the lead back in seconds. Leicester also had Nish and Rodrigues that night who were internationals, so it was a fantastic win that made us think we could get to Wembley.

Most memorable moment? It was the Carlisle home game - not Leicester - that Lazarus had the changing shorts episode, no one mentioned that he put in a great cross wearing his jock strap and that Rodders should have scored from it.

Best goal? Rodney's at Wembley - it seemed to take an age to cross the line after hitting the post.

Most frustrating moment? In the days of pre Sky, there was no rolling news. The semi final first leg at Birmingham was a 7.30 mid week kick off. BBC did not announce the result, but ran a mid week football highlights special in black and white at 10.00 pm on BBC1 and the whole family was watching in the front room - plus Auntie Vi doing the ironing . Birmingham had gone into an early 1 -0 lead at St Andrews and with Lazarus rushing down the wing, and about to cross the ball to Les Allen in the box, Auntie Vi finished the ironing, switched off the iron and then pulled out the electric plug ...... to the TV. Screams of abuse at her from the Shot Knees family as the screen went blank so she said "If you don't appreciate what I've done, I'm going home" so she stormed out the door. By the time the TV set had warmed up, we'd missed the first two goals, but there was jumping around as we realised that we'd won 4 -1 that night

We got her to go to Wembley as recompense, but I don't think she knew the damage she did that night.

Biggest surprise? That we won at Wembley, I thought we'd blown it first half- we were never in it, Sir Alec and his "go out and enjoy yourself" half time speech led to an amazing unforgettable day and ended with a win.

I've still got the programme - one shilling - and I think it was five bob to get a place on the terrace, and anyone could go if you queued up and paid cash, bit different now.
[Post edited 18 May 2014 8:22]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 08:39 - May 18 with 3493 viewscyprusmel

Although the Leicester game was a cracker, for me the best was Birmingham away 4-1 win, we were a few minutes late because of traffic and had just parked our backsides down when Barry Bridges scored but in those bygone days it didn't matter because of the quality of the team you were always going to be able to get one back and back we came the Brum fans who had been in a noisy frenzy since Bridges scored were soon roared down by the Rangers faithfull who even after the Birmingham goal were in great voice and became even more vocal as our goals piled in. At the end of the match we all knew we were Wembley bound, no way were we ever going to lose the second leg at the Loftus Road Fortress. As an aside 8 of us were traveling up to Birmingham meeting at Gypsy Corner and I asked my dad Len to arrange for a mini bus to take us there, he turns up with a 52 seater coach. I said dad there are only 9 of us including you and he said I know son but it's all I could get !
The cost of the tickets I think were 5 shillings each For myself dad and uncle John but I may be wrong, we were about a third of the way along from the West Brom end where Clarky scored and looking to the right was the end Rangers scored in in the second half. Our tickets were purchased by my dad from Loftus Road.
The atmosphere at Wembley seemed to be supercharged it was electric and the noise was incredible there seemed to be Rangers support all over the ground, it was a fantastic feeling and a humbling one it made you so proud to be part of this wonderful family.
Even after Clarke scored his second Rangers had chances and just before half time Les Allen had a shot which hit the crossbar and went over. As the two teams came off the field at half time there was a marked attitude between the sides, West Brom looked serious and thoughtful and Rangers came off all smiles and waving at friends and family in the crowd as though they knew it wasn't over by a long way.
It wasn't over by a long way and when Morgan nodded in you felt the crowd urging the team on and the noise levels rose once more, even the most pessimistic of fans thought yes, we can do this. That wonderful piece of magic by Rodney which went in off the post to make it 2-2 and by the way he said after the game that he aimed for the post and with the silky skills he was gifted with who's to say he didn't. The chant of Rodneee Rodneee echoed around the stadium and now there was real belief we would win. The winner as you all probably know came from a bizzare situation when Ron Hunt who was told not to go forward by Alec Stock chased a loose ball, collided with the Brom goalie the ball fell to Mark Lazurus who gleefully despatched it into the net, cue unprecedented noise levels. The game ends and we are the cup winners, the first time the final was played at Wembley with hugh success the match being played to a near on capacity crowd. Many Rangers fans were in tears with the emotional turmoil of the match and I as a nineteen year old was very close myself. The celebration took place in our house on the Harold Wesley estate in Park Royal NW10 with a nice cup of tea. Memories not replaceable and that's a fact.
I have never understood why the chant Rodneee Rodneee hasn't been adapted to Charlieee Charlieee it lends it's self so easily.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 09:26 - May 18 with 3457 viewsderbyhoop

The 2 highlights for me had to be the Mark Lazarus incident and the Leicester game. I don't think I went to either of the Birmingham games. I probably couldn't get tickets on a school night. Lazarus had ripped his shorts, somebody had given him a new pair, and he'd removed the old ones and still had the new ones in his hand when somebody passed to him. He set off down the right wing with the shorts waving. I was right behind the goal for the Leicester game. Les Allen chipped the best keeper in the world from 25 yards and it hit the bar. Banks turned round and the rebound hit him in the chest and bounced over the line. Banks' reaction was priceless but the reaction of the crowd was electric. We went on to beat a top side 4-2.

I'd been to Wembley the previous year for 2 of the World Cup games, including the semi final against Portugal. But this time it was our club. My brother and I queued for tickets at Loftus Road. I cannot remember the price now, but 5 shillings sounds about right.

Wembley was amazing. I don't know where all the QPR fans came from but we sold out our end. Everybody was singing until the game started. By half time it looked like the dream was over. Clive Clark had taken young Tony Hazell to the cleaners and scored twice. We were getting battered. But the second half was a complete turnaround. I don't remember much about the first goal but Rodney's equaliser was special. He picked the ball up in the centre circle and set off towards goal, leaving a trail of West Brom players in his wake. He let fly from just outside the box and it crept in off the post. We finally believed that we could cause an upset. The winner sent us all delirious. Of course, it wouldn't be allowed today. Ronnie Hunt clattered their keeper (John Osborne?) and Lazarus was on hand to knock it in.
After the game I remember all the Rangers players dancing on the pitch and Mike Keen being parade round on other players shoulders.
The papers were full of it the next day. How could a Third Division club have triumphed over a good First Division club like WBA? But we did.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 10:42 - May 18 with 3403 viewsCFW

My love affair with Rangers started in the early 1960'w when when Les Allen was transferred from Spurs. Les and his family lived a few doors along the road to my parents and were good friends with us. My dad used to take me to watch him when he played for Spurs and then one day he told my dad he was going to QPR a small club who were then in the third division (old money)!!
I can remember my dad driving Les and myself to the games, in the bar afterwards having drinks with Mr Langley (as I used to call him) and all the other players - a small bar under the stands. We would wait for a couple of hours before the three of us driving home - these were great days and everyone at the club were so friendly and welcoming it was like being part of the team.

I was only 14 when the League Cup started and I managed to go to every match home and away except the Leicester match which I think was an evening match and I had to go to school the next day and was told it would be too late for me. Real shame because Les had a real good game and scored.

I remember the long trip to Birmingham - my dad paying some young thug to look after his car during the match, not a very nice area. Great game and I remember it pouring with rain on the way home and my dad's wipers packing up. He drove all the way home really without being able to see - god knows why!!!

The final was a real good day. Les sorted out a coach for the large Allen family and selected friends along with tickets. This was my first trip to Wembley and I remember the Lazuras brothers sitting close to me thinking they were proper gangsters. Mark's mum was a large Jewish lady who was no nice and always asked me how I was and I enjoyed speaking to her every other week when I saw her at the club.

The game itself was fantastic - I remember crying at half time being 2-0 down but I also remember the wonderful rush and pleasure winning the game 3-2. That day will live with me for ever. I still have the local newspaper clippings with photographs of the coach getting ready to head for the match.

My dad is now 88 and although he is a Gooner he still speaks to Les from time to time and I saw him a few years ago at my parents Diamond wedding anniversary party that I organised for them. Spoke to him for most of the night to be honest!!

Because we also knew Clive my oldest son supports the R's and my twins Spurs due to Clive being there when they first started following football. One of them spoke to Clive in Homebase recently and he can still remember playing football in my parents back garden.

That time at Rangers was so special to me - money has changed football - not for the better in some cases. I loved those four years when they were promoted, bought in Marsh etc and wish the club was still the same. Not sure how we will do against Derby but will still be hoping for a good result.
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 11:08 - May 18 with 3383 viewsqprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 10:42 - May 18 by CFW

My love affair with Rangers started in the early 1960'w when when Les Allen was transferred from Spurs. Les and his family lived a few doors along the road to my parents and were good friends with us. My dad used to take me to watch him when he played for Spurs and then one day he told my dad he was going to QPR a small club who were then in the third division (old money)!!
I can remember my dad driving Les and myself to the games, in the bar afterwards having drinks with Mr Langley (as I used to call him) and all the other players - a small bar under the stands. We would wait for a couple of hours before the three of us driving home - these were great days and everyone at the club were so friendly and welcoming it was like being part of the team.

I was only 14 when the League Cup started and I managed to go to every match home and away except the Leicester match which I think was an evening match and I had to go to school the next day and was told it would be too late for me. Real shame because Les had a real good game and scored.

I remember the long trip to Birmingham - my dad paying some young thug to look after his car during the match, not a very nice area. Great game and I remember it pouring with rain on the way home and my dad's wipers packing up. He drove all the way home really without being able to see - god knows why!!!

The final was a real good day. Les sorted out a coach for the large Allen family and selected friends along with tickets. This was my first trip to Wembley and I remember the Lazuras brothers sitting close to me thinking they were proper gangsters. Mark's mum was a large Jewish lady who was no nice and always asked me how I was and I enjoyed speaking to her every other week when I saw her at the club.

The game itself was fantastic - I remember crying at half time being 2-0 down but I also remember the wonderful rush and pleasure winning the game 3-2. That day will live with me for ever. I still have the local newspaper clippings with photographs of the coach getting ready to head for the match.

My dad is now 88 and although he is a Gooner he still speaks to Les from time to time and I saw him a few years ago at my parents Diamond wedding anniversary party that I organised for them. Spoke to him for most of the night to be honest!!

Because we also knew Clive my oldest son supports the R's and my twins Spurs due to Clive being there when they first started following football. One of them spoke to Clive in Homebase recently and he can still remember playing football in my parents back garden.

That time at Rangers was so special to me - money has changed football - not for the better in some cases. I loved those four years when they were promoted, bought in Marsh etc and wish the club was still the same. Not sure how we will do against Derby but will still be hoping for a good result.

Nice report. I think Les was the brain behind Rangers in those days. You could see the class. What shrews business Les, Jim Langley and Rodney Marsh., made us into a team going places. I think Sanderson was also a great buy but was not appreciated.

Qprmick

YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:09 - May 18 with 3331 viewsonlyrinmoray

Agree with you Mick, Ian Sanderson was the unsung hero He got the ball and passed it to the big names worked his socks off. Then again Mick Leach wasn't appreciated at all either.
Rodney was the Ashley Young of his day ridiculous diving but how we laughed as he was one of ours
I went to the Final cant remember much about it to be fair But watching the DVD brought it all back Remember going to the stadium a week before the game and buying 2tickets for me and my mate Roger Wootton Went to the Carlisle game Leicester and Birmingham home leg great days
YOUR HELP NEEDED - QPR at Wembley 1967, were you there? on 12:15 - May 18 with 3327 viewsTheBlob

Just remembered a couple of cartoon punchlines of the day after from the Express's Roy Ullyett...."You've heard of the Old One Two?Well this is the One Three,it's brand new and a lot more spectacular."
And a cartoon with two R's players in the dressing room,one talking on the phone."No Mr. Wilson we can't go into Europe,we're only in the Third Division."(at the time Harold Wilson was contemplating a yes/no referendum)

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024