Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best away matches 12:35 - Jun 14 with 7675 viewsterryb

Following on from the best atmosphere thread, what are the best away matches you have been to?

I'm not including games on neutral grounds, so off the top of my head I've come with the following.

Villa 1968 & Wednesday 2004 for fairly obvious reasons.

Ipswich & Norwich 1983 - first season back in the top flight & the first time I saw us win at these grounds, plus we were brilliant in both games. Living in Ipswich means that I love all wins there especially.

Watford 1969 & 2011. Tottenham 1976 & Charlton (FA Cup) 1970 are certainties. Wolves, Leeds & West Ham 1973 as well.

What are your golden away days?
Best away matches on 13:24 - Jun 14 with 3683 viewsquickpassrotter

Well, Wigan Away in the play-off semi in May has to go in there surely.
Best away matches on 13:27 - Jun 14 with 3675 viewsHayesender

Hillsborough 2004 by a country mile

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Best away matches on 13:28 - Jun 14 with 3676 viewsRamseyR

Away at Wycombe.. .in the wind.... just surreal
Best away matches on 13:35 - Jun 14 with 3663 viewsloftboy

Best away matches on 13:28 - Jun 14 by RamseyR

Away at Wycombe.. .in the wind.... just surreal

Liverpool away milk cup semi 1986 and for brutal hatred and an atmosphere that makes today's hooligans look like ballet dancers then Luton away in the cup replay of 88

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best away matches on 14:00 - Jun 14 with 3626 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Derby away 1975. Beat the then defending Champions 5-1 including a Stanley Bowles hat-trick. I wish it was on film somewhere.

Sheff Utd away, our last promotion season, won 3-0 easily. Cracking weekend away but remember it more than others as returned with Salmonella poisoning. Lost 19lbs in the next 7 days. Never had an illness like it, before or since
Best away matches on 14:07 - Jun 14 with 3611 viewsloftus77

New Year's Day 1992.

Ask yourself, is this ever likely to be repeated??
Best away matches on 14:44 - Jun 14 with 3569 viewsFredManRave

Ok so not actually best away match and maybe it shouldn't even be,included as it was effectively on a neutral ground but Wimbledon away in the FA Cup with 11,000 Rangers there was set up perfectly and was great until......well we all know what happened next...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Best away matches on 16:37 - Jun 14 with 3492 viewsWokingR

Beating Chelsea 1-0 away on 2nd Jan 2013
Chelsea fans I know say they have never heard such loud away support
Login to get fewer ads

Best away matches on 19:07 - Jun 14 with 3428 viewsDWQPR

Chelsea away 1974. Won 3-0. Spuds away same year won 2-1. That game against Man City in 2012, beyond surreal.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Best away matches on 19:24 - Jun 14 with 3415 viewsterryb

Best away matches on 19:07 - Jun 14 by DWQPR

Chelsea away 1974. Won 3-0. Spuds away same year won 2-1. That game against Man City in 2012, beyond surreal.

I'd forgotten about the Chelsea win in '74, but by then we were a far better team!

Another match to add was Huddersfield last season.

Not the match or the score, but because we were drinking in the best pub I've ever been in pre match!
Best away matches on 19:37 - Jun 14 with 3400 viewswestberksr

Man city away 2-2

Southampton away, "you're fat and your birds a slag"

Oldham away, play off semi

And we didn't win any of them!
Best away matches on 21:41 - Jun 14 with 3335 viewsQPR1882

United........Paul Ince is a w@nker

Port Vale..... 4-4

Scum....,,,,, 86' Quarters
Best away matches on 22:35 - Jun 14 with 3300 viewsRs_Holy

The game at Palace the season we won the championship... Heider Helgason scored in the final minute and the away end went properly bonkers... One of those goals when you end up shifting a couple of rows and a few seats away from your original position...
And brentford away when Birch scored in the last minute... Again fans shifting all over the place!
Best away matches on 22:23 - Dec 16 with 2992 viewsYorkRanger

Time to remember happy away days. The Derby 2-2 is a good one from recent memory.
Best away matches on 22:32 - Dec 16 with 2979 viewsLblock

Watford away confirming (sort of) the Championship title

Hillsborough promotion day

and bizarrely.... Plymouth away years ago won 1-0 Richard Pacquette

Derby away will live long in the memory (the bits I can remember)

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Best away matches on 02:04 - Dec 17 with 2914 viewsSonofNorfolt

Other good 'uns not so far mentioned.
Highbury, '84 & '94.
Upton Pk '87 & '93?
The Dell '88 & '92
Nth Battersea '86
Cottage '82 (great game)
Blundell Pk '83
Ninian Pk '04, & new ground '11,
Augsburg '12.

I'll think of more, & ones I wish that I had been at, 'Bournemouth '48, St Andrews '67, Bratislava & Koln '77 etc
Best away matches on 05:36 - Dec 17 with 2893 viewsbatmanhoop

Ipswich 1968, top of the table clash with Micky Leach getting a last minute equaliser. Used to be impressed with the Holte End when terraced. Villa fans could generate a bit of a racket
Best away matches on 08:15 - Dec 17 with 2814 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My away days were mostly from '86 to '96.

Old Trafford 4-1
Leeds 3-2
Liverpool 3-1
Southampton practically every year in the 80's and 90's

Worst was the Luton Cup game in '88. Horrific violence.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best away matches on 08:45 - Dec 17 with 2781 viewsElHoop

Chelsea 13 when we could celebrate noisily was for me the sequel to the Robinson game in the 1980s when the scum were picking us off in the rain. My hatred of them will never die.

Luton 1982 was perhaps the most 'eventful'.

Most of my awaydays were in the old Div2 in the late 1970s and early 1980s - places like Cambridge where some of our idiots were throwing cabbages and stuff over from the allotments round the back. Mansfield some League Cup game I think it was in midweek when we won cup games. Forest away in a Cup Replay when we lost. Sunderland away when we got stuffed and came home on the same train as the players and Clive Allen looked about 12. Sheff Wed when we won under Venables in the promotion season.
Best away matches on 08:56 - Dec 17 with 2766 viewsLimehouseR

Don't know why, probably just because it was so ridiculous.
Gillingham away, 1-0 win in 2001. Got absolutely destroyed and stole a win.
Was just such a laugh in what was such an awful season.

And Cardiff away in 2003, 2-1. Langley!!!
Best away matches on 09:03 - Dec 17 with 2759 viewsheadhoops

May 9th 1973. Roker Park Away. Around 500 of us watching Sunderland parade the FA Cup. We win the kick off and Stan gets the ball goes straight across the pitch and blasts the cup off the table. Stan then dives for a penalty - worst journey back to the train station ever. The natives were restless.
Others already mentioned:
Milk Cup 86 - Scum away and Liverpool 2-2.
Saints - fat slag
Colchester to clinch the title? certainly more in the away end than health and safety would allow.
4-1 Manure new years day. 4-4 Port Vale
also enjoyed the 2-2 Blackpook fa cup tie.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Best away matches on 09:32 - Dec 17 with 2723 viewspaulparker

Wigan play off - just to see the support , nearly over 4k with a weeks notice in c rap traffic on a Friday night , the locals couldn't believe we bought that many

Watford away - when we won 4-2 the early di canio era, got properly elephants before the game had a great laugh before the game then back to the pub after for more drinking after , got the last train home to Northampton and threw up when I got home

Cardiff , promotion season, hot day, plenty of beers , great atmosphere especially when we first equalized, plenty of "banter" with the locals at the train station

Cardiff when we scored in the last minute (Langley) great away support that day, we gave it plenty to the locals at the end , and it got a bit nawty on the way out

Wimbledon away fa cup 5th round, 11k rangers , probably more than that TBF, great drink up before, old school cup songs in the pub and walking to the ground , what an away day is all about really , again I was young full of optimism that it was our year ,

Brentford away- Birchams last minute winner and an old school bundle on the terraces

Arsenal fa cup 1990 around 7k in the clock end , proper old school rangers turnout
backs to the wall and we could have even nicked it, still it was all ok in the replay when sansom scored

special mentions for when I used to follow Hayes in the fa cup
Fulham away 91, Friday night 3k of hayes fans, (mostly QPR) and they won 2-0
Cardiff away the season before, travelled up in a fleet of transit vans , very lively

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best away matches on 09:41 - Dec 17 with 2705 viewsDevonWhite

Hillsborough, obviously.
Anfield 90/91
Everton 92/93
Brentford 02/03
Derby 10/11
Watford 10/11
Chelsea 12/13
Best away matches on 09:42 - Dec 17 with 2699 viewskingsburyR

Sheff Wed to win promotion -
(Does anyone know the R's fan that got decked when celebrating in the goal after the final whistle??)

The Paul Ince game - for obvious reasons

Cardiff away - Promotion season - took a limo down and drank all day in the sun!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Best away matches on 09:46 - Dec 17 with 2690 viewsPinnerPaul

Well Wembley isn't Loftus Road so I'm STILL picking the play off final!

Otherwise has to be Hillsborough, mainly because of the pleasure it gave my son (not that young even then), but really it was his first proper away game.

"Thanks for taking me Dad" he said at the end of the day - magic, magic day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024