Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best away matches 12:35 - Jun 14 with 7677 viewsterryb

Following on from the best atmosphere thread, what are the best away matches you have been to?

I'm not including games on neutral grounds, so off the top of my head I've come with the following.

Villa 1968 & Wednesday 2004 for fairly obvious reasons.

Ipswich & Norwich 1983 - first season back in the top flight & the first time I saw us win at these grounds, plus we were brilliant in both games. Living in Ipswich means that I love all wins there especially.

Watford 1969 & 2011. Tottenham 1976 & Charlton (FA Cup) 1970 are certainties. Wolves, Leeds & West Ham 1973 as well.

What are your golden away days?
Best away matches on 09:51 - Dec 17 with 1993 viewsQPunkR

Again, has to be Hillsborough. Special mentions too for that FA Cup game at Selhurst and the 1-0 win at Gillingham - first away win in an entire year I think?

QPR - "shit but local"

Best away matches on 10:02 - Dec 17 with 1976 viewsMedwayR

Everton with the Tommy Smith goal to win 1-0
Derby for the late 2-2 draw
Brentford with Bircham scoring

Honourable mentions to:
Palace late 2-1 win
Southampton with Ray Jones scoring from the byline
Stoke under Warnock
Sunderland with Furlong scoring after running half the length of the pitch
Leicester when Nygaard banged one in from 30+ yeards
Wigan 2-1 win under Holloway
Bristol City 3-1 win under Holloway

Poll: Who’s better?

Best away matches on 11:59 - Dec 17 with 1937 viewsparker64

Did alot of aways the season we went up 82/83:

Charlton at Xmas. Big support. Gary Micklewhite overhead kick goal
Sheff Wed. Simon Stainrod hatrick
Barnsley. Simon Strainrod sent off. Won 1-0
Leeds. Offside, offside. Won 1-0. Locals not happy
Best away matches on 12:16 - Dec 17 with 1913 viewsqprxtc

Leeds FA Cup 1987. That was quite an 'atmosphere'.

I actually stayed the weekend up there with my brother and his Leeds mate. Got very drunk and sang Rangers songs in a City Centre pub. God knows how i wasn't smacked. Also managed to fall down a drain.

Happy daze.
Best away matches on 12:51 - Dec 17 with 1864 viewsBluce_Ree

Best away matches on 13:24 - Jun 14 by quickpassrotter

Well, Wigan Away in the play-off semi in May has to go in there surely.

The match itself was absolute shit. Maybe the worst I've even been present at and I was a season ticket holder during the Harford-era.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Best away matches on 13:07 - Dec 17 with 1857 viewsBrixtonR

Good shout regarding the Ipswich 2-0 and Norwich 3-0 in 83-84 we had great support at both too. Someone mentioned that the other day the Poser in the pink and abusing Mariner non stop.

Ipswich in the league cup Jan 85 is one of my favourites about 4K there, R's in every stand and a pitch invasion with someone opening the gate after a few Rangers fans had scaled the spike fence.

Highbury 83-84 (2-0) was brilliant I can still vividly remember Ian Stewart curling the ball past Pat Jennings to make it 2-0 and us going mental. Plus Rangers in the North Bank

Wolves 83-84 (4-0) was good especially after the 4-0 beating we got the year before.

2-1 v Charlton 81/82 and the 3-1 in 82-83 up to this years debacle I'd never seen Rangers lose at the Valley. Also the two 3-0 wins over Palace in 82-83 and 89-90 mainly as I just can't stand the wrong uns.

West Ham in 84-85 mainly because I went to every single away game except York City, Rekyklyvic , Partizan B, Stoke and WBA so it was the only fcking away game I actually saw us win (of the ones I missed we won 3 and drew one) Trust me, for away games the seasons 84-85 to 86-87 were much worse than now.

Chelsea QF 85-86 and Watford on the same run were good

West Ham and Southampton in 87-88

Agree with Norfolt about Grimsby away last game of 82-83

In more recent times probably the 2 wins at Palace in 09/10 and 10/11.

Wigan last year was good, agree with PP on that.
Best away matches on 13:34 - Dec 17 with 1832 viewsArgyBargy1982

Best away matches on 11:59 - Dec 17 by parker64

Did alot of aways the season we went up 82/83:

Charlton at Xmas. Big support. Gary Micklewhite overhead kick goal
Sheff Wed. Simon Stainrod hatrick
Barnsley. Simon Strainrod sent off. Won 1-0
Leeds. Offside, offside. Won 1-0. Locals not happy

Parksy. I think your memory is failing you. Didn't we only win 1-0 at Sheff Wed midweek very late on in the season. So no hat-trick.
Best away matches on 13:42 - Dec 17 with 1823 viewsArgyBargy1982

Best away matches on 13:07 - Dec 17 by BrixtonR

Good shout regarding the Ipswich 2-0 and Norwich 3-0 in 83-84 we had great support at both too. Someone mentioned that the other day the Poser in the pink and abusing Mariner non stop.

Ipswich in the league cup Jan 85 is one of my favourites about 4K there, R's in every stand and a pitch invasion with someone opening the gate after a few Rangers fans had scaled the spike fence.

Highbury 83-84 (2-0) was brilliant I can still vividly remember Ian Stewart curling the ball past Pat Jennings to make it 2-0 and us going mental. Plus Rangers in the North Bank

Wolves 83-84 (4-0) was good especially after the 4-0 beating we got the year before.

2-1 v Charlton 81/82 and the 3-1 in 82-83 up to this years debacle I'd never seen Rangers lose at the Valley. Also the two 3-0 wins over Palace in 82-83 and 89-90 mainly as I just can't stand the wrong uns.

West Ham in 84-85 mainly because I went to every single away game except York City, Rekyklyvic , Partizan B, Stoke and WBA so it was the only fcking away game I actually saw us win (of the ones I missed we won 3 and drew one) Trust me, for away games the seasons 84-85 to 86-87 were much worse than now.

Chelsea QF 85-86 and Watford on the same run were good

West Ham and Southampton in 87-88

Agree with Norfolt about Grimsby away last game of 82-83

In more recent times probably the 2 wins at Palace in 09/10 and 10/11.

Wigan last year was good, agree with PP on that.

I think I'm very much in the Brixton R and Mel camp on these.

Grimsby 83 - foul weather and hailstones. Storming the seats. Mr F in his prime with his mob of casulas in Grimsby at about 10.00am. Chelsea only just avoiding relegation to Div 3.

Ipswich League Cup 85 - postponed several times, but absolute chaos post match on the pitch.

Luton FA Cup - stabbings and attacks with billiard balls in socks right outside the station. The lump on the side of that bloke's head. The riot on Dunstable Rd and then chasing them back in to the park.
Login to get fewer ads

Best away matches on 14:13 - Dec 17 with 1788 viewsdaveB

For football reasons the best in recent years has to be Barnsley away in our promotion year, battled hard all night and got a well earned win. Also a midweek game at Wrexham about 10 years ago was great, down to 10 men Rowlands scored in the last minute to seal a 2-0 win.

So many to choose from though, almost every trip to Derby has been fun, Middlebsrough away in our title winning year when Helguson got 2, Leicester away when Nygaard scored a screamer and Coventry the same season when we won 1-0 to seal our survival.

Going back years winning at Coventry to go top of the league in 92 and the new years day at Arsenal were great as well.
Best away matches on 15:40 - Dec 17 with 1735 viewsparker64

Best away matches on 13:34 - Dec 17 by ArgyBargy1982

Parksy. I think your memory is failing you. Didn't we only win 1-0 at Sheff Wed midweek very late on in the season. So no hat-trick.

I am getting on that's true! But I'm pretty sure that 82/83 was the Stainrod hat trick. I can still clearly remember standing in the corner of the Leppings Lane end. I recall Wicks/Stainrod and a couple of others linking arms at the end of the game and doing a jig across the pitch. Good and happy days!
Best away matches on 17:00 - Dec 17 with 1684 viewsSonofNorfolt

Best away matches on 15:40 - Dec 17 by parker64

I am getting on that's true! But I'm pretty sure that 82/83 was the Stainrod hat trick. I can still clearly remember standing in the corner of the Leppings Lane end. I recall Wicks/Stainrod and a couple of others linking arms at the end of the game and doing a jig across the pitch. Good and happy days!

You've got your matches mixed up.
Stainrod hat trick '81-82.
'82- '83 Flanagan 1-0, that's when the players linked arms.
Best away matches on 17:10 - Dec 17 with 1670 viewsparker64

Apologies, you're both right! Looked it up on Soccerbase. Starting to doubt my memory now on other matches!
Best away matches on 17:15 - Dec 17 with 1668 viewsBrixtonR

Best away matches on 15:40 - Dec 17 by parker64

It was 81-82 we won 3-1 with the Stainrod hat trick I can remember listening to it on the radio. Argy Bargy was right about us then winning 1-0 in 82-83. Shame I can't remember last week as well as then lol

Ha Ha, rushing into the seats at Grimsby from the top of the terrace, it was a friend of mine who started that as there was a big hole in the fence, I can remember the OB not being very happy when a couple of hundred others followed him through. Having only paid for a terrace ticket I of course stayed where I was.

That Luton game in 88 argy bargy, do you remember the police trunchening (is that a word?) everyone as we got near the bridge to the station ? never seen so many dead legs in one place lol I actually thought the aftermath of the 83-84 league game was as mad, it seemed like one long pitched battle involving hundreds all the way back to Luton station. Just to clarify both Luton trips it wasn't like you had any choice in getting caught up in it.
Best away matches on 18:09 - Dec 17 with 1613 viewsArgyBargy1982

Best away matches on 17:15 - Dec 17 by BrixtonR

It was 81-82 we won 3-1 with the Stainrod hat trick I can remember listening to it on the radio. Argy Bargy was right about us then winning 1-0 in 82-83. Shame I can't remember last week as well as then lol

Ha Ha, rushing into the seats at Grimsby from the top of the terrace, it was a friend of mine who started that as there was a big hole in the fence, I can remember the OB not being very happy when a couple of hundred others followed him through. Having only paid for a terrace ticket I of course stayed where I was.

That Luton game in 88 argy bargy, do you remember the police trunchening (is that a word?) everyone as we got near the bridge to the station ? never seen so many dead legs in one place lol I actually thought the aftermath of the 83-84 league game was as mad, it seemed like one long pitched battle involving hundreds all the way back to Luton station. Just to clarify both Luton trips it wasn't like you had any choice in getting caught up in it.

Argy does indeed remember 83/84. I think that was the year the Mugs tried to assassinate the Patagonian one by chucking a police cone at him from the top of a multi-story car park. And yes Brixton OB did get a bit brutal to keep things under control.

Can I raise us Palace away in 1983 and your Wall friends on the platform at Balham or somewhere similar on the way back.
Best away matches on 18:37 - Dec 17 with 1590 viewsRangersw12

Saints away 94 my first away game won 1-0

Man City 2-2 Jamie Pollock although if it hadn't started raining I doubt we would of got out of Moss Side !!

Ipswich 4-1 and 3-1 in 99 and 95

Special mention for Yeovil last season which seemed to be non stop drinking from start to finish

Also Munich 5-1 and Athens 2-0 following England away
Best away matches on 19:03 - Dec 17 with 1490 viewsBrixtonR

Best away matches on 18:09 - Dec 17 by ArgyBargy1982

Argy does indeed remember 83/84. I think that was the year the Mugs tried to assassinate the Patagonian one by chucking a police cone at him from the top of a multi-story car park. And yes Brixton OB did get a bit brutal to keep things under control.

Can I raise us Palace away in 1983 and your Wall friends on the platform at Balham or somewhere similar on the way back.

If that's the aforementioned comprehensive 3-0 victory at Palace I would have been on the number 75 back to civilisation. Bus w@nker.
However I'm sure the Lovely Lovely wall fans were just hoping to extend National hugging day to the weekend, either that or were there to serenade you all with their version of the then current number 3 Saving all my love by Renee & Renato - possibly the first vestiges of Art terrorism

Just thought of another really good away match the 2-0 at Leicester in the promotion winning season 10-11 - Walking in a Mackie Wonderland
Best away matches on 19:17 - Dec 17 with 1481 viewsArgyBargy1982

Best away matches on 18:37 - Dec 17 by Rangersw12

Saints away 94 my first away game won 1-0

Man City 2-2 Jamie Pollock although if it hadn't started raining I doubt we would of got out of Moss Side !!

Ipswich 4-1 and 3-1 in 99 and 95

Special mention for Yeovil last season which seemed to be non stop drinking from start to finish

Also Munich 5-1 and Athens 2-0 following England away

W12. Was Yeovil the match where you and your little travelling firm stormed that Working Men's Club in Andover?
Best away matches on 19:18 - Dec 17 with 1476 viewsArgyBargy1982

Best away matches on 19:03 - Dec 17 by BrixtonR

If that's the aforementioned comprehensive 3-0 victory at Palace I would have been on the number 75 back to civilisation. Bus w@nker.
However I'm sure the Lovely Lovely wall fans were just hoping to extend National hugging day to the weekend, either that or were there to serenade you all with their version of the then current number 3 Saving all my love by Renee & Renato - possibly the first vestiges of Art terrorism

Just thought of another really good away match the 2-0 at Leicester in the promotion winning season 10-11 - Walking in a Mackie Wonderland

It was the 3-0. So Wall invented Art Terrorism. Everything civilised comes out of Eltham, eh.
Best away matches on 19:26 - Dec 17 with 1469 viewsBrixtonR

Best away matches on 19:18 - Dec 17 by ArgyBargy1982

It was the 3-0. So Wall invented Art Terrorism. Everything civilised comes out of Eltham, eh.

Ha Ha the most civilised thing to come out of Eltham is the train to Blackheath
Best away matches on 20:10 - Dec 17 with 1439 viewsRangersw12

Best away matches on 19:17 - Dec 17 by ArgyBargy1982

W12. Was Yeovil the match where you and your little travelling firm stormed that Working Men's Club in Andover?

I thought we were very civilised in the working mans club

would you of put Burnley away last season as one of your worst away days ?
Best away matches on 22:12 - Dec 17 with 1367 viewsArgyBargy1982

Best away matches on 20:10 - Dec 17 by Rangersw12

I thought we were very civilised in the working mans club

would you of put Burnley away last season as one of your worst away days ?

Probably in the top 10. 1986 Milk Cup final and a 5-0 defeat to Spurs in 1984 are at the top of the list with Madrid 2004 and Bratislava 2002
Best away matches on 23:12 - Dec 17 with 1335 viewsSydneyRs

Best away matches on 09:32 - Dec 17 by paulparker

Wigan play off - just to see the support , nearly over 4k with a weeks notice in c rap traffic on a Friday night , the locals couldn't believe we bought that many

Watford away - when we won 4-2 the early di canio era, got properly elephants before the game had a great laugh before the game then back to the pub after for more drinking after , got the last train home to Northampton and threw up when I got home

Cardiff , promotion season, hot day, plenty of beers , great atmosphere especially when we first equalized, plenty of "banter" with the locals at the train station

Cardiff when we scored in the last minute (Langley) great away support that day, we gave it plenty to the locals at the end , and it got a bit nawty on the way out

Wimbledon away fa cup 5th round, 11k rangers , probably more than that TBF, great drink up before, old school cup songs in the pub and walking to the ground , what an away day is all about really , again I was young full of optimism that it was our year ,

Brentford away- Birchams last minute winner and an old school bundle on the terraces

Arsenal fa cup 1990 around 7k in the clock end , proper old school rangers turnout
backs to the wall and we could have even nicked it, still it was all ok in the replay when sansom scored

special mentions for when I used to follow Hayes in the fa cup
Fulham away 91, Friday night 3k of hayes fans, (mostly QPR) and they won 2-0
Cardiff away the season before, travelled up in a fleet of transit vans , very lively

Good call on the Highbury FA cup tie. I think we were quoted as having 11,000 there that day and filled the whole clock end. Paul Parker had a fantastic chance to win it right at the end with a header. Mind you it was worth him missing it for the replay which is one of my all time favourite games at LR. Torrential rain and a fantastic win against what was a very strong Arsenal side at the time.

West Ham away 3-0 win opening day of 87/88 season. Kevin Brock looked like a fantastic signing that day..... We went on a great run and werre top pf the league until a 4-0 spanking at Anfield where John Barnes tore us a new one. I was there too.

The 95 cup game at Man Utd was great for the huge turnout and the abuse of Mr Ince. There had only been much smaller umbers on my previous visits there.

I was at that Luton away cup game too. Very nasty atmosphere and coins flying between our section and the home fans next to us. I was on my own and the only way I felt safe on the way back to the station was to tag along with a group of maybe 200-300 QPR most of whom were looking for revenge for stabbings before the game. Interesting times.

The most intimidated I have been at an away game though was the Den in a milk cup second leg after we won the first game 2-1 at home amid several bouts of violence in the stands. I would say at best there were maybe 200 QPR there. We spent the whole game defending, back passing and wasting time, infuriating the home crowd and it ended 0-0. It took an awful long time for the police to clear the 'wall sections at the end, they were intent on hanging around to give us a kicking. Was very glad I did not have colours on as we sneaked back to the station.

Watford away with an Alan McDonald volley winniing it sticks in the mind and another time there when we won 3-0.

The 2-2 at City with Jamie Pollock was great too, espcially as we were staying with a friend in Liverpool so only had a short way to go before getting into the celebrations.

My worst was a 4-0 thrashing at Forest in the late 80s where Nigel Clough scored a hat-trick in about 3 or 4 mins. I travelled up with a Forest mate and had to endure his smugness all the way home. Also it was bloody freezing all game and the light denim jacket I had on was nowhere near up to the task. Horrible day.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2014 23:14]
Best away matches on 07:25 - Dec 18 with 1283 viewsWareRanger

Best away matches on 18:09 - Dec 17 by ArgyBargy1982

I was on that train at Palace in 83. For some reason, the train wasn't going anywhere and 3 of their boys we're stood on the platform offering a ruck with the Rangers fans on the train. When they were ignored, 20 of their mates who had been hiding round the corner stormed the train and tore into everyone.
I was also at Luton in 88 and got hit on the thigh by a police truncheon after the game. Had a massive bruise for days after.
Leeds away in 87 was also crazy. I remember a copper in front of us completely losing it after he got hit by a missile.
Crazy days and thank fcuk it's not like that anymore.
Best away matches on 07:44 - Dec 18 with 1276 viewswelwynranger

2 that I remember 1972 at Ashton Gate a 2 1 win fabulous goals from Don Givens and a 4 2 win at Molyneux in 1973. Parked rolled the ball to Thomas who ran the length of the pitch played the perfect pass to Bowles who stroked it past the hapless keeper. Wonderful goal
Best away matches on 08:52 - Dec 18 with 1247 viewsdoogi55

blackpool away 3.0 langley hatrick and a great song we are not going home sumg by most of the away support
hillsborough
arsenal 3 .1 win we was there when some arsenal scored they started sing that we where singing at the end.
highbury semi final fa cup 1st time i saw qpr fans in tears adn even had a tear in my eye
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024