Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best away matches 12:35 - Jun 14 with 7672 viewsterryb

Following on from the best atmosphere thread, what are the best away matches you have been to?

I'm not including games on neutral grounds, so off the top of my head I've come with the following.

Villa 1968 & Wednesday 2004 for fairly obvious reasons.

Ipswich & Norwich 1983 - first season back in the top flight & the first time I saw us win at these grounds, plus we were brilliant in both games. Living in Ipswich means that I love all wins there especially.

Watford 1969 & 2011. Tottenham 1976 & Charlton (FA Cup) 1970 are certainties. Wolves, Leeds & West Ham 1973 as well.

What are your golden away days?
Best away matches on 09:15 - Dec 18 with 1889 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Best away matches on 07:44 - Dec 18 by welwynranger

2 that I remember 1972 at Ashton Gate a 2 1 win fabulous goals from Don Givens and a 4 2 win at Molyneux in 1973. Parked rolled the ball to Thomas who ran the length of the pitch played the perfect pass to Bowles who stroked it past the hapless keeper. Wonderful goal

Enjoy the 4-2 win at Wolves again. Mickey Leach scored a cracker too.

Best away matches on 09:38 - Dec 18 with 1855 viewsDiscodroids

Best away matches on 09:15 - Dec 18 by Sudbury_Hill_R

what a lovely posting .

watching that makes me feel like ive had a bowl of ready brek.

dismantled a wolves side containing steve daley, alan sunderland, john richards, derek dougan ,kenny hibbit and willie carr.

for shame ive never heard of the qpr sub...i thought it was the lead singer from glam rockers 'the sweet'.

what a side we had.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best away matches on 10:14 - Dec 18 with 1828 viewsShotKneesHoop

What a game Mickey Leach had as well. What football we used to play in those days. Wonderful crowd pleasing stuff. And probably a couple of quid to get in to.

The world's gone mad. Yer couldn't make it up.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Best away matches on 10:22 - Dec 18 with 1823 viewsjohncharles

Fan-bloody-tastic. Christmas starts here !

Strong and stable my arse.

Best away matches on 10:39 - Dec 18 with 1807 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks Sudbury!

Some cracking football there, including by my childhood hero, Thomas.

Notable also for the applause from Wolves fans for all of our goals.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best away matches on 11:25 - Dec 18 with 1784 viewsBromleyHoop

Best away matches on 22:35 - Jun 14 by Rs_Holy

The game at Palace the season we won the championship... Heider Helgason scored in the final minute and the away end went properly bonkers... One of those goals when you end up shifting a couple of rows and a few seats away from your original position...
And brentford away when Birch scored in the last minute... Again fans shifting all over the place!

Yep that game at Palace was mental. I kissed a complete stranger when Heidi scored

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Best away matches on 12:41 - Dec 18 with 1729 viewsYorkRanger

Third goal was a classic, Green and Hoilett take note how it should be done.
Best away matches on 14:46 - Dec 18 with 1676 viewsBAWHoops

The 2-2 away at Cardiff to all but seal promotion.

To come behind twice and keep battling in the Bank Holiday Saturday sun was amazing.

Best atmosphere I've ever seen in an away end. Inflatables everywhere and the 'We're top of the league song' sung on repeat.
Bothroyd's wonder goal and then Adels equilizer. I almost passed out it was so intense and mad.

Then at the end when Warnock gave a fist pump to the fans and Derry celebrated because he knew we were all but up.

They locked us in the car park at the end but nobody cared a jot.

A great day

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Login to get fewer ads

Best away matches on 20:02 - Dec 18 with 1607 viewsderbyhoop

Hillsborough for me wins hands down.
Second on my list Man City away. I know we lost 3-2 in the end but, thanks to Bolton drawing, it didn't matter to us. Not only did we get to celebrate with the City fans but it was cathartic to see United's misery when they had the trophy ripped out of their hands.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Best away matches on 20:05 - Dec 18 with 1608 viewsHantsR

Best away matches on 14:00 - Jun 14 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Derby away 1975. Beat the then defending Champions 5-1 including a Stanley Bowles hat-trick. I wish it was on film somewhere.

Sheff Utd away, our last promotion season, won 3-0 easily. Cracking weekend away but remember it more than others as returned with Salmonella poisoning. Lost 19lbs in the next 7 days. Never had an illness like it, before or since

Derby game - me too! I was among Derby fans behind the goal - didn't stop me going mental (you could just about do that those days!)

I also remember that dramatic night at Craven Cottage when Bowles, Givens and Francis showed that we had arrived and were going places. Only terrible aspect was Martyn Busby's broken leg.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 20:27]
Best away matches on 07:31 - Dec 19 with 1533 viewsterryb

Best away matches on 20:05 - Dec 18 by HantsR

Derby game - me too! I was among Derby fans behind the goal - didn't stop me going mental (you could just about do that those days!)

I also remember that dramatic night at Craven Cottage when Bowles, Givens and Francis showed that we had arrived and were going places. Only terrible aspect was Martyn Busby's broken leg.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 20:27]

It was only the injury to Busby that stopped me including this game in my original post.

F*****g Paul Went!
Best away matches on 09:05 - Dec 19 with 1500 viewsRed_Ranger

1. Etihad - I loved that day.
2. Hillsborough
3. Wembley 14
4. Watford
5. Chelsea when robinson scored from the half way line.
Best away matches on 11:59 - Dec 19 with 1450 viewsBrixtonR

Best away matches on 23:12 - Dec 17 by SydneyRs

Good call on the Highbury FA cup tie. I think we were quoted as having 11,000 there that day and filled the whole clock end. Paul Parker had a fantastic chance to win it right at the end with a header. Mind you it was worth him missing it for the replay which is one of my all time favourite games at LR. Torrential rain and a fantastic win against what was a very strong Arsenal side at the time.

West Ham away 3-0 win opening day of 87/88 season. Kevin Brock looked like a fantastic signing that day..... We went on a great run and werre top pf the league until a 4-0 spanking at Anfield where John Barnes tore us a new one. I was there too.

The 95 cup game at Man Utd was great for the huge turnout and the abuse of Mr Ince. There had only been much smaller umbers on my previous visits there.

I was at that Luton away cup game too. Very nasty atmosphere and coins flying between our section and the home fans next to us. I was on my own and the only way I felt safe on the way back to the station was to tag along with a group of maybe 200-300 QPR most of whom were looking for revenge for stabbings before the game. Interesting times.

The most intimidated I have been at an away game though was the Den in a milk cup second leg after we won the first game 2-1 at home amid several bouts of violence in the stands. I would say at best there were maybe 200 QPR there. We spent the whole game defending, back passing and wasting time, infuriating the home crowd and it ended 0-0. It took an awful long time for the police to clear the 'wall sections at the end, they were intent on hanging around to give us a kicking. Was very glad I did not have colours on as we sneaked back to the station.

Watford away with an Alan McDonald volley winniing it sticks in the mind and another time there when we won 3-0.

The 2-2 at City with Jamie Pollock was great too, espcially as we were staying with a friend in Liverpool so only had a short way to go before getting into the celebrations.

My worst was a 4-0 thrashing at Forest in the late 80s where Nigel Clough scored a hat-trick in about 3 or 4 mins. I travelled up with a Forest mate and had to endure his smugness all the way home. Also it was bloody freezing all game and the light denim jacket I had on was nowhere near up to the task. Horrible day.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2014 23:14]

The 0-0 at Millwall in 87 would definitely go in the most memorable category. We were top of the league but I don't think I've seen a more negative performance in my life (well up until away games under Redknapp ;-) ) and the Millwall fans were getting more and more angry as the game went on. I'm pretty sure they kept us in for at least 45 minutes.

Surprisingly we had nearly 700 at Millwall that day according to my mate who worked for them at the time and it was also in our local paper taking the p*** that Millwall had nearly 10 times as many at Loftus Road having taken 6K . I have to say I felt pretty safe coming out as every big Rangers bruiser seemed to have turned out that night, I think me and my mate were the smallest/youngest there. Worst thing for me was having to cross back over at New Cross to go back the other way. Not sure how I got away with that one lol

There was a report in the South London Mercury that absolutely slated us and our triangular passing it basically said we should be relegated rather than top of the league. It was by a well known Charlton fan who also did their fanzine but funnily enough his brother was a Rangers fan so I reckon it was just bitterness against his cooler brother !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024