Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Italy City Break Advice 12:59 - Jun 20 with 5652 viewsjohnswiltsqpr

Hi all, ive been advised by Mrs Johnswilts that I'm taking her to Italy for her upcoming birthday. Fine by me as I've wanted to visit for some time. Here in lies the problem she wants to go to one of either Milan, Venice or Rome. None of which I'm keen on.

Anyhow if it has to be one of the 3 which is best? more Italian and less commercial? thanks.

John.
Italy City Break Advice on 13:06 - Jun 20 with 3708 viewstoboboly

Milan is quite small so ok for a long weekend, easyjet fly to Malpensa airport and the train to the centre is cheap and fairly quick.

Rome has loads of stuff to see, religious, historic etc so you can spend longer there. I loved Rome and there is enough bar/cafe culture to keep you busy e very night too.

Never done Venice but been told it's great.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Italy City Break Advice on 13:15 - Jun 20 with 3688 viewsR_from_afar

I'm surprised Florence is not in the frame too. Supposed to be wonderful.

I haven't been to Rome but it looks like an unbeatable cultural experience. I have been to Venice and it is close to the ultimate toruist trap, if impressive (and expensive).

If she wants shopping, the shops in Milan are quite something - when I was there we strolled down a single - pleasant - street which was wall to wall with top, top designer brands. If you go to Milan, the cathedral is worth a visit. It looks like a crashed alien space ship, a massive, ancient, intricate edifice sat in the middle of much more recent buildings. It's the largest Gothic cathedral anywhere, dark, brooding and impressive inside, and it is worth going up to the roof to wonder at the many painstakingly carved sculptures and other features which most people will never even notice because they are so high up.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Italy City Break Advice on 13:22 - Jun 20 with 3677 viewskingsburyR

Been to Rome twice.

Liked it so much the first time I took the missus back to propose to her (major brownie points).

Its a great City which I love visiting. I'm RC so that helps a bit.

Didn't think too much of Milan but its close to Lake Como which is nice.

Wife wants me to take her to Venice.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Italy City Break Advice on 13:29 - Jun 20 with 3660 viewsFearless

In this order (IMO)

Rome
Venice
(Florence)

And if you have to, Milan
Italy City Break Advice on 13:32 - Jun 20 with 3653 viewsRangersDave

Italy City Break Advice on 13:29 - Jun 20 by Fearless

In this order (IMO)

Rome
Venice
(Florence)

Totally agree,

Was in Rome 2 weeks ago, and amoff to Venice next week.
They both have much to comment them, and little to detract.

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Italy City Break Advice on 13:32 - Jun 20 with 3653 viewsjohann28

Venice is great but you need to go at the right time and stay in the right place. Basically avoid the high season if poss (ie August) and stay outside the San Marco area - there's plenty of cheaper options to the north and west of the centre.

Milan is for those who like browsing in posh shops.

Rome obviously has much more variety - big bustling city; the downside being that you can't see much of what it has to offer in a short stay.

Personally I prefer Verona to all of the above.
Italy City Break Advice on 13:43 - Jun 20 with 3633 viewskensalriser

Unless you're loaded and the missus wants to splash out on fashion, forget Milan - it's a business city with prices to match and nowhere near as interesting as other Italian cities.

As said elsewhere, go to Venice only out of season, so if you're going soon, Rome is the only real choice out of the three; it is very touristy obviously, but it's a real city too and there are great choices for eating (and sightseeing, of course)..

If you're never been to Italy before, Florence would be a good start. Compact, lots to see and good food.

One last thing - when are you going? August is a no-no as everything's closed and it's often oppressively hot. Peak season begins around July 15th, when everything gets busier and more expensive.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Italy City Break Advice on 13:46 - Jun 20 with 3630 viewsbob566

can't advise on the other three but an hours drive north of rome is perugia. Stayed there and it was beautiful.
Login to get fewer ads

Italy City Break Advice on 13:53 - Jun 20 with 3611 viewsrrrspricey

Done all of these and Rome wins by a mile over the other two and my favourite city break to date.

Mrs P and i stayed in a hotel a literal stones throw from the trevi fountain which is perfectly central for the top attractions all of which are withing walking distance.

Milan 2nd and dirty extortionately expensive Venice last for me.

Edit:

IMO johann28 is way off with Verona. Mrs P and i got married there and although there are some lovely areras it reallly ain't all that
Italy City Break Advice on 13:53 - Jun 20 with 3611 viewsBluce_Ree

Rome has so much to see and there's a good vibe there. Their taxi drivers can f**k off though.

Venice is stunning.

Both are worth it. I loved them and couldn't tell you which one I'd want to go back to.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Italy City Break Advice on 14:01 - Jun 20 with 3600 viewsMaggsinho

I'll go against the flow and recommend Milan, it felt more Italian and less touristy than the picture postcard-ness of Venice or Florence. For sights there are the shopping arcades (genuinely, they're amazing), the castle and the cathedral, plus good restaurants and bars.
Italy City Break Advice on 14:32 - Jun 20 with 3576 viewsdanehoop

Did Rome a few times and it is perfect for the mini break. Also did a day trip down to Pompei and Napleswhilst we were in Rome to ensure we got the money's worth out of the trip.
Petty crime was a bit annoying and had to be on guard around the big city sites, but seeing Parthenon, Circus Maximus etc. just simply stunning, almost something ancient Rome on every street.

Milan, meh. expensive but not too much to write home about.

Never knowingly understood

Italy City Break Advice on 14:34 - Jun 20 with 3574 viewsKonk

Would skip Milan, big time. Would be Rome then Venice for me, but it really does depend on the time of year and your interests - wouldn't want to find myself in either city during the peak season. Would choose either of those two ahead of Florence, personally, although all three cities are great. Agree about staying away from San Marco in Venice - would stay in Trastevere in Rome and Oltrarno in Florence; still central, but less tourists, good stuff going on and a fair bit quieter/cheaper, whereas in Venice, we went to some great restaurants and canal-side bars in Cannaregio. Wherever you end up, you really can't go too far wrong in Italy.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Italy City Break Advice on 14:41 - Jun 20 with 3559 viewsMrSheen

Anywhere in high summer can be a bit of a strain given the heat and as the main sights are so popular. I was in Florence in April and there were two hour queues for the main galleries, though I believe you can book a slot in advance online. Haven't been to Venice yet, but Rome is awesome and Milan is good, though much less spectacular. You might want to give some of the smaller places a try, to avoid the crush and having to walk so far, and save the bigger cities for another visit out of season. Siena (70km from Florence) is fantastic though rammed for the horse race. Same for Verona (except at opera time). My sister-in-law raves about Udine (near Venice), stunning place and great food.
Italy City Break Advice on 14:43 - Jun 20 with 3557 viewsBrightonhoop

Give Milan the swerve, apart from a Cathedral it's dull and pretensious with prices to match. You'll be bored in half an hour.

Rome, brilliant, plenty going on, enough for a few days, Trevi fountain and all that, roman ruins galore obviously, great food.

Venice is a bit of a theme park, with prices to mach and stinks like a sewer at the wrong time of year. Worth a visit out of season, stand at the bar for a coffee like the locals makes prices half as much.

Also recommend Florence, Assisi and Sienna.

The most important piece of language you will need is 'quanta costa?' ie how much, use it before every purchase, especially in Rome. Even for an ice cream, it will make it more pallatable not having been charged 10E after tucking in....speaking from experience. :-(
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 14:46]
Italy City Break Advice on 14:46 - Jun 20 with 3550 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I have been to all three of these.
Milan was great but really expensive. Venice is beautiful as well but it would have to be Rome first for me.
Loads to do there mate and you can do it all on foot.
Italy City Break Advice on 14:55 - Jun 20 with 3537 viewsSonofNorfolt

Rome hands down.
It is a city that is actually better than I expected.

Florence is overrated as is Venice, Milan don't bother.
Pisa is for a photo opportunity only, Verona's only slightly better.
Bergamo is a good base for the lakes.
Udine, Turin, Genoa aren't great but can be good bases to explore the region.
Ditto Naples for Sorrento and Amalfi, Bologna I quite like because it is near Cesena
(Back in Serie A).
Palermo is good outside bet for a long weekend.

Bari and Cagliari I can't vouch for, but I hope to rectify next season.
Italy City Break Advice on 14:58 - Jun 20 with 3532 viewsBrixtonR

Italy City Break Advice on 13:29 - Jun 20 by Fearless

In this order (IMO)

Rome
Venice
(Florence)

Agree with Fearless on this.

Just to throw in the mix have you thought of Sicily ? One of the best places I've been too and loads of nice towns to visit in a small area e.g. Etna, Taormina, Noto, Siricus and Arenella. The people were really friendly and it seemed pretty cheap to drink and eat there.
Italy City Break Advice on 15:01 - Jun 20 with 3523 viewsMedwayR

Rome is the best Italian city imo. Milan, Florence, Venice & also Turin all have their attractions & are all nice in their own ways, but Rome is a cut above them all.

Poll: Who’s better?

Italy City Break Advice on 15:06 - Jun 20 with 3518 viewsstowmarketrange

Ive only been to Milan and Naples,so my choice is definitely Milan,but others that have to Rome and Venice would know more than me.You have to try and get to a game out there as I can't fault either the San Siro or the Napoli ground.
Italy City Break Advice on 15:15 - Jun 20 with 3509 viewsKonk

Italy City Break Advice on 14:55 - Jun 20 by SonofNorfolt

Rome hands down.
It is a city that is actually better than I expected.

Florence is overrated as is Venice, Milan don't bother.
Pisa is for a photo opportunity only, Verona's only slightly better.
Bergamo is a good base for the lakes.
Udine, Turin, Genoa aren't great but can be good bases to explore the region.
Ditto Naples for Sorrento and Amalfi, Bologna I quite like because it is near Cesena
(Back in Serie A).
Palermo is good outside bet for a long weekend.

Bari and Cagliari I can't vouch for, but I hope to rectify next season.

For second tier cities, I loved Bologna, loved Napoli (I like grubby ports with a bit of history), Verona and Padua were nice low key spots, Sienna is a good 24hr spot, but that was enough for me...loads and loads of nice smaller towns dotted all over the place, but if you haven't been to any of the major cities, then Rome for me as long as it's not during the summer. Venice once you get a bit off the beaten track is incredible. Absolute ba stard to find your way around when you're battered at night though.

Italy City Break Advice on 15:32 - Jun 20 with 3478 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Italy City Break Advice on 14:34 - Jun 20 by Konk

Would skip Milan, big time. Would be Rome then Venice for me, but it really does depend on the time of year and your interests - wouldn't want to find myself in either city during the peak season. Would choose either of those two ahead of Florence, personally, although all three cities are great. Agree about staying away from San Marco in Venice - would stay in Trastevere in Rome and Oltrarno in Florence; still central, but less tourists, good stuff going on and a fair bit quieter/cheaper, whereas in Venice, we went to some great restaurants and canal-side bars in Cannaregio. Wherever you end up, you really can't go too far wrong in Italy.

Haven't been to Milan, but Konk has nailed it with his comments on Venice, Rome and Florence.

My order of preference:-

1) Venice - commercial, yes, but the architecture, scenery and feel are amazing.
2) Florence - also serene, art and architecture are mind-blowing
3) Rome - huge city, therefore very varied, but Jesus there's so much to see!

Loved Italy on my three visits there, wish I could go more.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Italy City Break Advice on 15:49 - Jun 20 with 3458 viewsKonk

Italy City Break Advice on 15:32 - Jun 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Haven't been to Milan, but Konk has nailed it with his comments on Venice, Rome and Florence.

My order of preference:-

1) Venice - commercial, yes, but the architecture, scenery and feel are amazing.
2) Florence - also serene, art and architecture are mind-blowing
3) Rome - huge city, therefore very varied, but Jesus there's so much to see!

Loved Italy on my three visits there, wish I could go more.

I guess it all depends what you’re into, but I was obsessed with the Roman empire as a kid, so stick me in Rome and I’m as happy as can be — I just lay on the floor staring up at the dome of the pantheon wondering how the Romans managed to knock up something so perfect when my builder managed to fu ck up tiling my bathroom. Some great restaurants and bars without killing the bank if you stray away from the main tourist spots. Same for your digs. I love the fact that we have so much history in London, but you go to Rome, Athens or Istanbul and it’s another world altogether. For the hundreds of great smaller towns and cities in Italy, I’d start off with one of the big hitters, but do your research; you don’t have to spend a fortune on eating and drinking if you get things sussed before you travel — paid similar for food and drink in all the major Italian cities as I’d spend at home.

Italy City Break Advice on 16:08 - Jun 20 with 3442 viewshopphoops

Rome every time. Venice is most atmospheric in bad weather in winter. Siena or Perugia / Assisi area both deliver for smaller places. Skip Pisa, Bergamo, Piacenza and Bari, otherwise you can't lose.

And wait for the fixture list to come out first of course.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Italy City Break Advice on 17:03 - Jun 20 with 3401 viewsjohnswiltsqpr

I popped out for a couple of hours and thought I may have a couple of replies. Cheers all, sounds like Rome has the general nod over the other two.

It has to be one of the 3(dont ask) and we will be travelling for 3 nights for her 30th birthday. Would like to go away in the sun for a couple of weeks but can't get a baby sitter for our twins for two weeks, thats if we could bring ourselves to leave em....

So Rome. wheres good to stay centrally? any do's and don'ts appreciated.

Cheers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024