Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Stadium by 2018? 10:40 - Jul 24 with 6884 viewsNov77

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/qpr/qpr_chairman_tony_fernandes_con

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

New Stadium by 2018? on 01:04 - Jul 25 with 1164 viewsRangersAreBack

New Stadium by 2018? on 23:50 - Jul 24 by bosh67

I think they should leave Car Giant in the middle of the pitch and play around it.

Were they not our shirt sponsors in the not so distant past? Would be ironic if they were to prevent this happening.
New Stadium by 2018? on 08:29 - Jul 25 with 1118 viewsBrianMcCarthy

New Stadium by 2018? on 01:04 - Jul 25 by RangersAreBack

Were they not our shirt sponsors in the not so distant past? Would be ironic if they were to prevent this happening.

True, but we could sellotape over the cracks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New Stadium by 2018? on 18:17 - Jul 26 with 1035 viewsIngham

He chucks things in without worrying whether they make sense or not. It sounds like he's taking dictation. Someone says 40,000 capacity, he hears 40,000 fans. Someone says affordable housing, Fernandes thinks the fans will live in the housing.

He's not a property developer, he says, so why on earth are we hearing from him all the time? Why does he seem to be the most audible spokesman for the development? He talks as if what a stadium needs is housing, a community, film and the arts. What a 40,000 stadium needs is Champions League football every week, he will see exactly how many people are interested in supporting QPR. He will know how clever he is, how brilliant Harry is, how successful QPR can be on the pitch, how much it will earn off it.

So why not do that? Get a world class manager, international class players (I mean good ones, not dross), and start winning, or at least qualifying for Europe every year.

Otherwise '40,000 fans' is nonsense? When we've been playing in the Champions League for 15 years consecutive we MIGHT have 40,000 fans. Arsenal built a ground to hold their ACTUAL support (45,000 at the games, 15,000 on the waiting list). But they've been winning titles since 1930.

Interesting that a Club of the Gunners' size and prestige built a ground to hold not one supporter more than they knew they had already. While TF is daydreaming about more or less trebling our historic average attendance.

When did any Club get anywhere NEAR doing that?

If he calculated capacity on the realistic Arsenal basis, how big would the ground be? 20,000? Presumably, if, as Harry says, every Club outside the top seven is fighting relegation. THAT won't fill a 40,000 capacity ground. Safe in Mid-table with the odd top six finish won't affect our basic support at all. And safe in mid-table is almost impossible to achieve for a Club of our size.

When there was criticism of the cost to the Club of his mistakes, TF dismissed the debt as 'stadium related'. But surely that can't be true? Beard reckoned the ground would cost £200 million to build. Surely Fernandes hasn't lost the ENTIRE cost of building it before construction has even begun?

In that case, where will the £200 million to build it come from? And why, if, as Beard says, the Club won't own the Ground, should the ground carry the Club's debt?

The Club spends more and more and more propping up incontinent speculators like Ecclestone and Mittal and now Fernandes, without any evidence that it is benefiting from its association with them in any way at all.

I sympathize with those who doubt that the stadium will exist, or if it does, will amount to anything, or will be of any benefit to QPR. Without a platform of stunning football achievement such as has never been managed by a Club of our size, the whole project is absurd.

Football first. By all means let them build the thing. Then, if the Club has the odd big game, book it for that match. If we are brilliant on the pitch, and demand for tickets is 35,000 plus, by all means book it for a season, and see whether the Club can afford it, whether we can maintain a standard of play which will fill it.

And keep LR until we see just exactly HOW clever TF and the rest of them are at FOOTBALL. If they think it is so easy they can just fill a ground of that size, no-one's stopping them.

Gregory couldn't do it, and he could take this lot with one arm behind his back, easy. He couldn't even fill the ground in 1976, when we were top at the end of our 42 matches. We got 4,000 more for the corresponding home game with Leeds two years before (35,000) to celebrate THEIR title season.

I see not a shred of reality in what Fernandes says. Although the accounts show that the losses are real enough, and that they are QPR's.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 18:51]
New Stadium by 2018? on 19:37 - Jul 26 with 993 viewsTacticalR

Ingham has said the same thing since day one and his scepticism is looking increasingly justified.

Air hostess clique

New Stadium by 2018? on 19:49 - Jul 26 with 988 viewstimcocking

I'm happy we've signed Stephen Caulker. I still can't help liking TF. He's innocent until proven guilty in my book.

But 2018 does seem a little quick. And obviously, no training ground would be worrying. No training ground equals Mickey Mouse team.

I'll wait and see before slating him, though.
New Stadium by 2018? on 21:22 - Jul 26 with 952 viewsQPR_Jim

New Stadium by 2018? on 18:17 - Jul 26 by Ingham

He chucks things in without worrying whether they make sense or not. It sounds like he's taking dictation. Someone says 40,000 capacity, he hears 40,000 fans. Someone says affordable housing, Fernandes thinks the fans will live in the housing.

He's not a property developer, he says, so why on earth are we hearing from him all the time? Why does he seem to be the most audible spokesman for the development? He talks as if what a stadium needs is housing, a community, film and the arts. What a 40,000 stadium needs is Champions League football every week, he will see exactly how many people are interested in supporting QPR. He will know how clever he is, how brilliant Harry is, how successful QPR can be on the pitch, how much it will earn off it.

So why not do that? Get a world class manager, international class players (I mean good ones, not dross), and start winning, or at least qualifying for Europe every year.

Otherwise '40,000 fans' is nonsense? When we've been playing in the Champions League for 15 years consecutive we MIGHT have 40,000 fans. Arsenal built a ground to hold their ACTUAL support (45,000 at the games, 15,000 on the waiting list). But they've been winning titles since 1930.

Interesting that a Club of the Gunners' size and prestige built a ground to hold not one supporter more than they knew they had already. While TF is daydreaming about more or less trebling our historic average attendance.

When did any Club get anywhere NEAR doing that?

If he calculated capacity on the realistic Arsenal basis, how big would the ground be? 20,000? Presumably, if, as Harry says, every Club outside the top seven is fighting relegation. THAT won't fill a 40,000 capacity ground. Safe in Mid-table with the odd top six finish won't affect our basic support at all. And safe in mid-table is almost impossible to achieve for a Club of our size.

When there was criticism of the cost to the Club of his mistakes, TF dismissed the debt as 'stadium related'. But surely that can't be true? Beard reckoned the ground would cost £200 million to build. Surely Fernandes hasn't lost the ENTIRE cost of building it before construction has even begun?

In that case, where will the £200 million to build it come from? And why, if, as Beard says, the Club won't own the Ground, should the ground carry the Club's debt?

The Club spends more and more and more propping up incontinent speculators like Ecclestone and Mittal and now Fernandes, without any evidence that it is benefiting from its association with them in any way at all.

I sympathize with those who doubt that the stadium will exist, or if it does, will amount to anything, or will be of any benefit to QPR. Without a platform of stunning football achievement such as has never been managed by a Club of our size, the whole project is absurd.

Football first. By all means let them build the thing. Then, if the Club has the odd big game, book it for that match. If we are brilliant on the pitch, and demand for tickets is 35,000 plus, by all means book it for a season, and see whether the Club can afford it, whether we can maintain a standard of play which will fill it.

And keep LR until we see just exactly HOW clever TF and the rest of them are at FOOTBALL. If they think it is so easy they can just fill a ground of that size, no-one's stopping them.

Gregory couldn't do it, and he could take this lot with one arm behind his back, easy. He couldn't even fill the ground in 1976, when we were top at the end of our 42 matches. We got 4,000 more for the corresponding home game with Leeds two years before (35,000) to celebrate THEIR title season.

I see not a shred of reality in what Fernandes says. Although the accounts show that the losses are real enough, and that they are QPR's.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2014 18:51]

To be honest I don't see a lot of reality in what you say either. We're just going to hire out a stadium as and when required? Which stadium Craven Cottage, stamford bridge, Wembley? or do you think there's a guy going around West London building stadiums with no end user lined up?

I also don't see how you can say that we'll need regular Champions League football to fill a new stadium. We've managed to sell out our season ticket allocation just by returning to the premiership. I don't think you can link growth in attendances purely with success, it helps but is not the only factor. Football has changed a lot since Gregory was running the show, in terms of people who are willing to attend football matches.

"The Club spends more and more and more propping up incontinent speculators like Ecclestone and Mittal and now Fernandes, without any evidence that it is benefiting from its association with them in any way at all."
I am pretty sure our association with the above mentioned lead to an increase in sponsorship revenue as gulf air replaced car giant as our main sponsor. Possibly the only benefit of the Briatore reign but a benefit none the less.

Anyway I respect your opinion and I'm not entirely convinced by TF but I just don't feel that we can dismiss the idea of a new stadium so easily. It has my approval assuming QPR own the new stadium.
New Stadium by 2018? on 23:12 - Jul 26 with 923 viewsTrom

I can see the stadium happening as there is a huge amount of money to be made from the property side. This for me is where Tony and the Mittals make the cash.

TF is getting a little painful with the sound bites which seem to be just whatever pops into his head at that moment. I think he could do himself a favour by just giving it a rest for a while but this seems unlikely.

He does play the friendly happy uncle Tony card too much. He dropped Caterham when it looked like it was eating cash with little return, so he's not quite the cuddly uncle he wants to portray.

First thing he's done that has really set the alarm bells ringing for me is to come out with the whole dropping Warren farm bit. I'd like to see a lot more explanation of this.
New Stadium by 2018? on 06:47 - Jul 27 with 872 viewsrichranger

New Stadium by 2018? on 23:12 - Jul 26 by Trom

I can see the stadium happening as there is a huge amount of money to be made from the property side. This for me is where Tony and the Mittals make the cash.

TF is getting a little painful with the sound bites which seem to be just whatever pops into his head at that moment. I think he could do himself a favour by just giving it a rest for a while but this seems unlikely.

He does play the friendly happy uncle Tony card too much. He dropped Caterham when it looked like it was eating cash with little return, so he's not quite the cuddly uncle he wants to portray.

First thing he's done that has really set the alarm bells ringing for me is to come out with the whole dropping Warren farm bit. I'd like to see a lot more explanation of this.

Any room for a new training ground there too? Seems Warren Farm is dead in the water
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024