Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Phillips as a striker 16:55 - Jul 24 with 2078 viewssdm1508

With the news that we are going to a 352 system I can't help but think Matt Phillips might be the odd man out. I think it will probably be Simpson at RWB. Phillips has played as a RB and a RW so maybe he could play as a RWB. I think maybe though Redknapp will go safety first and have a RWB whose main attribute is defence first.

I really think Phillips needs to be in the side and thought maybe he could even play the advance midfield role of our 3 central midfielders. Then the problem with that is you need creativity in that role and I think maybe Granero or a 'creative' player might take that position.

Then after a game of Fifa 14 where I destroyed someone playing as the 'scum', I thought why don't we play Phillips up top with Austin?

He's powerful, quick has a good touch and has a shot on him. I think Blackpool played him up front sometimes. I really think he would cause most teams a problem and if you needed to change things around you could do it without the need for changes. Move him back into midfield if needed etc
Matt Phillips as a striker on 17:35 - Jul 24 with 2022 viewsdaveB

Last year all the signings were made to play a 4-2-3-1 with Tom Carroll as the playmaker, that soon changed to various different systems so i'd be surprised if we stuck with 3-5-2 all season.
Matt Phillips as a striker on 18:07 - Jul 24 with 1972 views08olesen

Matt Phillips as a striker on 17:35 - Jul 24 by daveB

Last year all the signings were made to play a 4-2-3-1 with Tom Carroll as the playmaker, that soon changed to various different systems so i'd be surprised if we stuck with 3-5-2 all season.

Agreed, i would like to see us stick with this formation all year, if we are prepping for it all pre-season. However most teams that play this formation have strong midfields, e.g. Hudleston and Livermore for Hull and Fer and De Jong for Holland. If we dont get a couple gritty players in, then i can see us getting overrun in midfield and reverting back to the 4231, which is where i think Phillips is at his best on the right.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Matt Phillips as a striker on 18:18 - Jul 24 with 1952 viewshoopdog

Well worth H giving it some thought , right I know I'm going to dogs for this, compare his attributes to Charlie's , he has a better 1st touch he's quicker and has better close control these wont necessary guarantee him making a better goal scorer but well worth H giving it consideration
Matt Phillips as a striker on 18:34 - Jul 24 with 1925 viewsWadR

On the basis of Tuesday's friendly, which I saw bits of, in both halves it was basically 5-3-1-1 with Doughty/Petrasso just behind Austin/Zamora Obviously you can't read too much into the first friendly, but if that's the plan then I can see Phillips suiting that position.
Matt Phillips as a striker on 19:21 - Jul 24 with 1831 viewsMedwayR

Matt Phillips as a striker on 18:34 - Jul 24 by WadR

On the basis of Tuesday's friendly, which I saw bits of, in both halves it was basically 5-3-1-1 with Doughty/Petrasso just behind Austin/Zamora Obviously you can't read too much into the first friendly, but if that's the plan then I can see Phillips suiting that position.

I think this is what he'll do, it makes use of Phillips & Hoilett in the role behind the forward & takes the pressure off a little when it comes to signing new strikers, plus Phillips/Hoilett can help out the midfield if required.

Phillips has also played as a forward, mostly for Wycombe I think.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2014 19:22]

Poll: Who’s better?

Matt Phillips as a striker on 21:12 - Jul 24 with 1695 viewsWestonsuperR

Not sure if risk a player coming back from injury and with limited Prem experience playing in a position that he has little experience of and certainly isn't his best.
Matt Phillips as a striker on 21:45 - Jul 24 with 1650 viewsBklynRanger

Matt Phillips as a striker on 18:18 - Jul 24 by hoopdog

Well worth H giving it some thought , right I know I'm going to dogs for this, compare his attributes to Charlie's , he has a better 1st touch he's quicker and has better close control these wont necessary guarantee him making a better goal scorer but well worth H giving it consideration

I think we'd be better off first trying to see if he could handle RWB. He's done very well at tracking back in the past but this would be more pressure and expectations defensively.

And although I do agree he may have the attributes to play more centrally up front I don't think you can compare him with Austin. Charlie may have certain limitations but he has one vital intangible quality that he's so far proved time and again - he's a goal scorer.
Matt Phillips as a striker on 21:47 - Jul 24 with 1645 viewsQPR_Nippon

I think if we play a 3-5-1-1 with our current playing squad we will score about 11 goals all season. Not convinced a 3-5-2 would work much better. Think we'd see a big gap between midfield and attack. What I'd like to see is a 3-4-3, with a couple of pacy attacking midfielders with good movement either side of Charlie, playing deeper and between the lines. Think Phillips could be well suited to this role on the right, but don't think Junior has the ability or consistency. Someone like Victor Moses on the other side would be ideal, but clearly that's not going to happen. The much mooted Holtby, however ... I see he has been linked today, so who knows?!
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Phillips as a striker on 22:22 - Jul 24 with 1605 viewsessextaxiboy

Matt Phillips as a striker on 21:47 - Jul 24 by QPR_Nippon

I think if we play a 3-5-1-1 with our current playing squad we will score about 11 goals all season. Not convinced a 3-5-2 would work much better. Think we'd see a big gap between midfield and attack. What I'd like to see is a 3-4-3, with a couple of pacy attacking midfielders with good movement either side of Charlie, playing deeper and between the lines. Think Phillips could be well suited to this role on the right, but don't think Junior has the ability or consistency. Someone like Victor Moses on the other side would be ideal, but clearly that's not going to happen. The much mooted Holtby, however ... I see he has been linked today, so who knows?!

I like the idea of Phillips up top with Charlie maybe with Granero behind them , Barton and Faurlin? behind him
Matt Phillips as a striker on 22:28 - Jul 24 with 1598 viewssmegma

Another international on our books.
Matt Phillips as a striker on 23:07 - Jul 24 with 1538 viewsQPR_Nippon

Matt Phillips as a striker on 22:22 - Jul 24 by essextaxiboy

I like the idea of Phillips up top with Charlie maybe with Granero behind them , Barton and Faurlin? behind him

That would concern me a bit - those 5 plus Traore-Onuoha-Ferdinand-Caulker-Simpson? Where would the goals come from, other than Charlie and the odd one or two from Phillips?
Matt Phillips as a striker on 23:11 - Jul 24 with 1531 viewsessextaxiboy

Matt Phillips as a striker on 23:07 - Jul 24 by QPR_Nippon

That would concern me a bit - those 5 plus Traore-Onuoha-Ferdinand-Caulker-Simpson? Where would the goals come from, other than Charlie and the odd one or two from Phillips?

Take your point , I thought that as I was typing it .

I would prefer Morrison to Granero but he is not our player . Of course Adel could do it if he got fit and was committed . He would have a job convincing Harry though .
Matt Phillips as a striker on 23:16 - Jul 24 with 1522 viewsQPR_Nippon

Matt Phillips as a striker on 23:11 - Jul 24 by essextaxiboy

Take your point , I thought that as I was typing it .

I would prefer Morrison to Granero but he is not our player . Of course Adel could do it if he got fit and was committed . He would have a job convincing Harry though .

Would love to see a front 3 of Taarabt-Austin-Phillips!! Just, you know, don't wanna get hurt again
Matt Phillips as a striker on 07:37 - Jul 25 with 1448 viewsQPRski

This is an very interesting OP and thread, and a issue I have pondering myself. I am sure Harry wants to play the wing back option and now has a great defensive foundation to do so.

For LWB we have both Traore and Yun, with probably Traore as current 1st choice due to his experience. But but with his injury record I am sure (and hope) we will see both, and think both are ideally suited to the role. I am hoping for some great performances and competition on that left wing.

For RWB, unless we buy someone, I think it will be Simpson. He would be a much more cautious wing back who is very more defensively minded, but I think that will be generally the name of the game next season.

I would not be suprised to play 3-5-1-1, with the names mentioned above as the "standard formaton", but I hope that we will have the ability and flexibility to switch to either 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, or even 3-4-3 when we wish to be more offensive.

I am very much looking forward to see how this develops in reality.
Matt Phillips as a striker on 10:54 - Jul 25 with 1375 viewsQPunkR

I've long been a fan of 3-5-2, and it's a formation that quickly and very easily (depending on the intelligence of the playing staff...) translates into 5-3-2/3-4-3 etc

QPR - "shit but local"

Matt Phillips as a striker on 11:29 - Jul 25 with 1355 viewssimmo

Get a big target man up top

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Matt Phillips as a striker on 11:53 - Jul 25 with 1321 viewspaulparker

Matt Phillips as a striker on 11:29 - Jul 25 by simmo

Get a big target man up top

Good to See Neil Shipperley back at Palace

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Matt Phillips as a striker on 14:51 - Jul 25 with 1244 viewsfrancisbowles

We will probably start games with Simpson but (when) we fall behind we could change to Hoilett or Phillips on the right. But what happens if Simpson is injured? Will we start with Harriman?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024