Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fracking Hell 18:56 - Jul 28 with 1995 viewskysersosaqpr

Just saw on bbc news that the Tories (spending fracking nothing on energy conservation measures) is going to let loads of "licenses" to allow people to frack all over the country. You can see the Bedlington Club boys on the phone to their bankers... "Forget the dough we earnt on selling off the last bank shares to each other....peanuts..."

Just put up 20 nuclear plants (I know, we'll get sanctions and UN inspectors to check we're not really building bombs - oops too late) and turn the country all electric. Branson can dump the waste in space via the virgin space shuttle. Energy crisis and dependence on Russia & Middle East for energy.... Sorted!!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Fracking Hell on 19:32 - Jul 28 with 1443 viewsbeeeater

Fracking will worsen global warming and not lower prices becuase we are part of the EU . The gas will be sold to the highest bidder. The government knows this but just keeps quiet.
Fracking Hell on 19:35 - Jul 28 with 1436 viewsToast_R

Fracking Hell on 02:12 - Jul 29 with 1266 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fracking Hell on 19:35 - Jul 28 by Toast_R

Just got netflix, can't get enough of the new BG

ps. Fracking is a no brainer...don't do it! (for economic reasons not environmental)

It's got to be Yarg

Fracking Hell on 07:32 - Jul 29 with 1202 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Do you really think any Government is going to ignore the chance to secure our own power supply into the future? All within our own control?
Fracking Hell on 07:47 - Jul 29 with 1185 viewsloftboy

Fracking Hell on 07:32 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

Do you really think any Government is going to ignore the chance to secure our own power supply into the future? All within our own control?

This +1

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Fracking Hell on 08:32 - Jul 29 with 1144 viewsDiscodroid

i say leave it all in labours hands, after all the historical achievements in energy they made in 13 years of government leaving us with wind farms and enough nuclear power plants to light up my very first hello kitty oven and importing more energy than ever before , can only lead us to the promised land of self sufficiency.

i can see (ed)bingo from the banana splits now, striding like a kraken amongst mere mortals as he barks his brutish commands at the weedy russians thus ensuring we pay more/import more
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 9:18]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Fracking Hell on 09:16 - Jul 29 with 1114 viewsingeminate

Fracking Hell on 07:47 - Jul 29 by loftboy

This +1

Fracking is fine and be mental not to explore it. Won't be anything like the US revolution mind, but every little helps. Worst case there will be a flurry of little earthquakes/tremors - sounds bad, but unlikely to do any real damage.

Incidentally pretty much all investigations in The US have shown stories of glow in the dark water to be unproven or not conclusively linked to fracking.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Fracking Hell on 09:19 - Jul 29 with 1110 viewsheadhoops

I for one look forward to the day when we can turn off our fraking pipeline and cut the power off for the people from the Democratic Republic of Scotland.

its going to happen regardless of any number of nimby's - get used to it.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Login to get fewer ads

Fracking Hell on 11:16 - Jul 29 with 1050 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fracking Hell on 07:32 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

No I don't blame the government for being very excited by it. Unfortunately the quantity we can extract have been vastly over estimated. Our resource is very different to that of the US
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 13:16]

It's got to be Yarg

Fracking Hell on 11:26 - Jul 29 with 1037 viewsingeminate

Fracking Hell on 11:16 - Jul 29 by Cornish_oooRRRR

No I don't blame the government for being very excited by it. Unfortunately the quantity we can extract have been vastly over estimated. Our resource is very different to that of the US

That's the thing, we've got loads, but we won't be able to get most of it out - difference between The US and here is they have a lot more space plus there is a lot more in it for the land-owner to "go find me some gas" than there is over here.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Fracking Hell on 11:29 - Jul 29 with 1031 viewskysersosaqpr

Build nuclear - once I saw "licenses" I knew only crooked politicians will earn out of this - and we all pay for it.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Fracking Hell on 11:42 - Jul 29 with 1015 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fracking Hell on 11:26 - Jul 29 by ingeminate

That's the thing, we've got loads, but we won't be able to get most of it out - difference between The US and here is they have a lot more space plus there is a lot more in it for the land-owner to "go find me some gas" than there is over here.

Yes

It's got to be Yarg

Fracking Hell on 11:45 - Jul 29 with 1009 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fracking Hell on 11:42 - Jul 29 by Cornish_oooRRRR

Yes

And yes. Although nuclear is a tricky one

It's got to be Yarg

Fracking Hell on 11:47 - Jul 29 with 1003 viewsLewes_r

Fracking Hell on 09:16 - Jul 29 by ingeminate

Fracking is fine and be mental not to explore it. Won't be anything like the US revolution mind, but every little helps. Worst case there will be a flurry of little earthquakes/tremors - sounds bad, but unlikely to do any real damage.

Incidentally pretty much all investigations in The US have shown stories of glow in the dark water to be unproven or not conclusively linked to fracking.

this got my eyeballs out on sticks....

"Worst case there will be a flurry of little earthquakes/tremors - sounds bad, but unlikely to do any real damage"

ok so thats no problem then.. no such thing as possible unforeseen chain reactions leading to ecological disasters..

the whole thing hasnt been thought through and researched enough in the mad dash for money IMHO (and "inconclusive" dont cut it)
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 11:48]

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Fracking Hell on 12:03 - Jul 29 with 995 viewsstevec

No doubt, the people saying 'No to Fracking' will be the same people next week moaning about ' the savage Tory cuts'.

Fracking could be a god send, particularly to the North and Midlands, creating jobs and wealth that isn't there at the moment.

At the risk of offending those who have spent their lives cosseted in some Public Service organisation or other... Private Company Gross Profit less costs less wages = net profit = money for your wages, the NHS and benefits for the masses. Where else do you think the money comes from?
Fracking Hell on 12:31 - Jul 29 with 966 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 19:32 - Jul 28 by beeeater

Fracking will worsen global warming and not lower prices becuase we are part of the EU . The gas will be sold to the highest bidder. The government knows this but just keeps quiet.

Great post and absolutely spot on. The US scenario is completely different to ours and now the value of a number of their shale gas/oil fields is being written down anyway.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Fracking Hell on 12:47 - Jul 29 with 946 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 08:32 - Jul 29 by Discodroid

i say leave it all in labours hands, after all the historical achievements in energy they made in 13 years of government leaving us with wind farms and enough nuclear power plants to light up my very first hello kitty oven and importing more energy than ever before , can only lead us to the promised land of self sufficiency.

i can see (ed)bingo from the banana splits now, striding like a kraken amongst mere mortals as he barks his brutish commands at the weedy russians thus ensuring we pay more/import more
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 9:18]

Yes Labour sat on their hands when it comes to nuclear but renewables are now providing around 12% of our electricity.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Fracking Hell on 12:51 - Jul 29 with 937 viewsstevec

Fracking Hell on 19:32 - Jul 28 by beeeater

I agree that's what could happen, particularly if we stay in the EU but if we don't Frack then we will still be paying through the nose for gas from abroad and not creating a single job here either.

If someone had invented the wheel this Century there'd be people in this country saying ban it under Health and Safety rules as it 'could run over someone's foot'.
Fracking Hell on 12:54 - Jul 29 with 927 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 11:16 - Jul 29 by Cornish_oooRRRR

Yes and even the government's Michael Fallon has admitted that retrievable reserves in The Weald (one example) are much lower than hoped. There is more here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2636875/Billions-barrels-oil-Sussex-Hamp

RFA

Fracking Hell on 13:06 - Jul 29 with 910 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fracking Hell on 12:03 - Jul 29 by stevec

No doubt, the people saying 'No to Fracking' will be the same people next week moaning about ' the savage Tory cuts'.

Fracking could be a god send, particularly to the North and Midlands, creating jobs and wealth that isn't there at the moment.

At the risk of offending those who have spent their lives cosseted in some Public Service organisation or other... Private Company Gross Profit less costs less wages = net profit = money for your wages, the NHS and benefits for the masses. Where else do you think the money comes from?

Just so the pro-frackers know where I’m coming from: this is not my area of expertise but it is my company’s. I work for a private company called GeoScience.

http://www.geoscience.co.uk/

The majority of my colleagues work in either the BRM (borehole rock mechanics) department or the geology department. Most of their work is with the oil and gas industry although there is a strong knowledge of deep geothermal throughout the company as it was originally set up on the back of the “hot dry rocks” experiment back in the 1980s. (I am in a small department concerned with ground source heat pumps).

A couple of months ago our MD gave us a comprehensive talk on fracking in the UK in terms of reserves, available resources, the unique geology of the UK, the US experience etc.

Completely ignoring any climate change/global warming/fossil fuel/renewables issues; on a purely economic and fuel security front fracking in the UK will most likely be a waste of time, money and effort.

We as a company are in an interesting situation as we can (and probably will) do well through work involved in the initial investigation/modelling stages although we don’t see it as a viable industry.

It's got to be Yarg

Fracking Hell on 13:17 - Jul 29 with 893 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 09:16 - Jul 29 by ingeminate

It's not "fine" at all. How much do you think your house will be worth if Cuadrilla is fracking under it? And the government's infrastructure bill wants to take away the need for the oil or gas company to get the home owner's permission for drilling!

There is already a case of a US court awarding damages for health issues caused by fracking: http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2371883/texas_court_awards_family

A link between earthquakes and fracking now appears to have been found:
http://www.nbcnews.com/#/science/science-news/confirmed-fracking-practices-blame

The outflows from fracking sites are hypersaline (sometimes 5x as salty as sea water) and can also be radioactive.

Fracking requires an inordinate amount of water, 4 million litres per well, yet the National Farmers Union is saying that in dry years in the 2020s, the water shortfall for farming will be close to the total current agricultural abstraction. We don't have enough water for wide scale fracking, unless we are prepared to see other users, like farmers, or households, deprived of it.

In terms of just how much fracking we will need to make a meaningful contribution, if we want to get 10% of UK gas from fracking, we will need 2,500-3,000 wells spread over 140-400 sq km using 27-113 million tonnes of water, according to the Tyndall Centre. That is not trivial.

Alternatively, we could opt for renewables, like tidal lagoons. Just five lagoons could provide 10% of our electricity, cleanly and for 120 years, without devastating communities, smashing house prices and using water which we need for other vital purposes.

RFA

Fracking Hell on 13:17 - Jul 29 with 893 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fracking Hell on 12:47 - Jul 29 by R_from_afar

Yes Labour sat on their hands when it comes to nuclear but renewables are now providing around 12% of our electricity.

RFA

At what cost though! (the 12% I mean)
It just ticks a political box if you ask me. They should be going for fracking and Nuclear and quickly.
Fracking Hell on 13:29 - Jul 29 with 872 viewsDiscodroid

Fracking Hell on 13:17 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

It just ticks a political box if you ask me. They should be going for fracking and Nuclear and quickly.

beat me to it there captain curtis.

permission to come aboard and keel haul diane abbot.

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Fracking Hell on 13:42 - Jul 29 with 860 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 13:17 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

Unfortunately, renewables have become politicised. If you are a Conservative, you will cop a shedload of flack if you support green energy because it is now inextricably linked with the left. This is a disaster!

I am reading that onshore wind is now competitive with gas. Bear in mind that fossil fuel based power plants will only become costlier. Renewables will get cheaper due to not needing fuel and economies of scale.

We are approaching a fossil fuel resource crunch. The easy to get at (cheap) stuff has gone. Since 2000, the oil industry's investments have risen by 180% - a threefold increase - but this has translated into a global oil supply increase of just 14%.

I've banged on about fracking earlier in this thread. There are so many issues with it even if you leave its contribution to climate change to one side.

Nuclear plants have a role to play but they are costly and very slow to build. Their cost just goes up and up but don't take my word for it: "Costs are going up and they've always gone up through the entire 50 or 60 yrs of nuclear history" - Prof S Thomas, Greenwich University. Think about the clean-up costs: they are £70bn for Sellafield alone and the government cannot find anywhere to put the waste!

Hinckley C will, according to some industry experts, provide the most expensive energy of any power plant, anywhere, ever.

RFA

Fracking Hell on 13:42 - Jul 29 with 859 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fracking Hell on 13:29 - Jul 29 by Discodroid

beat me to it there captain curtis.

permission to come aboard and keel haul diane abbot.

Permission granted my House-loving friend.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024