Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fracking Hell 18:56 - Jul 28 with 1994 viewskysersosaqpr

Just saw on bbc news that the Tories (spending fracking nothing on energy conservation measures) is going to let loads of "licenses" to allow people to frack all over the country. You can see the Bedlington Club boys on the phone to their bankers... "Forget the dough we earnt on selling off the last bank shares to each other....peanuts..."

Just put up 20 nuclear plants (I know, we'll get sanctions and UN inspectors to check we're not really building bombs - oops too late) and turn the country all electric. Branson can dump the waste in space via the virgin space shuttle. Energy crisis and dependence on Russia & Middle East for energy.... Sorted!!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Fracking Hell on 13:55 - Jul 29 with 515 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fracking Hell on 13:42 - Jul 29 by R_from_afar

Unfortunately, renewables have become politicised. If you are a Conservative, you will cop a shedload of flack if you support green energy because it is now inextricably linked with the left. This is a disaster!

I am reading that onshore wind is now competitive with gas. Bear in mind that fossil fuel based power plants will only become costlier. Renewables will get cheaper due to not needing fuel and economies of scale.

We are approaching a fossil fuel resource crunch. The easy to get at (cheap) stuff has gone. Since 2000, the oil industry's investments have risen by 180% - a threefold increase - but this has translated into a global oil supply increase of just 14%.

I've banged on about fracking earlier in this thread. There are so many issues with it even if you leave its contribution to climate change to one side.

Nuclear plants have a role to play but they are costly and very slow to build. Their cost just goes up and up but don't take my word for it: "Costs are going up and they've always gone up through the entire 50 or 60 yrs of nuclear history" - Prof S Thomas, Greenwich University. Think about the clean-up costs: they are £70bn for Sellafield alone and the government cannot find anywhere to put the waste!

Hinckley C will, according to some industry experts, provide the most expensive energy of any power plant, anywhere, ever.

RFA

Very informative (that is genuine not flippant by the way)
So what is the answer?
Fracking Hell on 14:32 - Jul 29 with 491 viewsLewes_r

Fracking Hell on 13:55 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

So what is the answer?

start by getting rid of the tories

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Fracking Hell on 14:59 - Jul 29 with 480 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Fracking Hell on 14:32 - Jul 29 by Lewes_r

What are you talking about?! Vote blue - go green

It's got to be Yarg

Fracking Hell on 15:09 - Jul 29 with 476 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fracking Hell on 14:32 - Jul 29 by Lewes_r

Yes, the last lot did so well.
Fracking Hell on 15:24 - Jul 29 with 470 viewsingeminate

Fracking Hell on 11:47 - Jul 29 by Lewes_r

this got my eyeballs out on sticks....

"Worst case there will be a flurry of little earthquakes/tremors - sounds bad, but unlikely to do any real damage"

ok so thats no problem then.. no such thing as possible unforeseen chain reactions leading to ecological disasters..

the whole thing hasnt been thought through and researched enough in the mad dash for money IMHO (and "inconclusive" dont cut it)
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 11:48]

well there has been a lot of fracking elsewhere and there has been a lot of digging in to potential issues in the UK - so I don't completely buy the no research argument. Companies like i-gas/egdon cuadrilla have had the bulk of their operations on hold for a good while - i think you'd meet with a wry smile if you accused them of having had legislation rushed through - far from it!

I don't know tonnes about it, but I work in oil and gas recruitment and have spoken to geologists/geophysicists for and against it and am repeating the common consensus.

It isn't a major solution but worth looking at and the risks to environment seem relatively small based on the majority of research out there.

Beyond that I've watched a couple of documentaries on it and then read up a bit on it as well. Still definitely no expert, to Lewes R's popping out eyeballs so far as I understand when coal mining was in its pomp that also caused small tremors but without there being much in the way of damage.

i won't claim there is no chance of "possible unforseen chain reactions" then again I suppose the beauty of the unforseen is that it is difficult to predict.

One more point re licenses - there may be corruption involved, however no more or less than any other contracts the government gives out - oil companies in the UK are not having a great time of it at the moment despite common perception with companies laying off significant numbers of staff - TAQA/BG/Statoil and others effected as well.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 15:27]

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Fracking Hell on 17:54 - Jul 29 with 433 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 13:55 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

So what is the answer?

Thanks for that.

David Mackay, once Chief Scientific Advisor to the Department of Energy and Climate Change, has written a free to download book with a series of plans designed to get us off fossil fuels and onto sustainable energy:
http://www.withouthotair.com/about.html

It's a great read, simple but informative and backed up by "the sums" rather than just being pages and pages of text.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Fracking Hell on 18:38 - Jul 29 with 424 viewsloftboy

Fracking Hell on 17:54 - Jul 29 by R_from_afar

Thanks for that.

David Mackay, once Chief Scientific Advisor to the Department of Energy and Climate Change, has written a free to download book with a series of plans designed to get us off fossil fuels and onto sustainable energy:
http://www.withouthotair.com/about.html

It's a great read, simple but informative and backed up by "the sums" rather than just being pages and pages of text.

RFA

I bet there's someone out there being kept quiet by the oil companies who has worked out a way to heat the world and run a car using sea water!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Fracking Hell on 12:37 - Jul 30 with 385 viewsR_from_afar

Fracking Hell on 18:38 - Jul 29 by loftboy

I bet there's someone out there being kept quiet by the oil companies who has worked out a way to heat the world and run a car using sea water!

Funny you should say that because when GM was first developing electric cars, they loaned a load of them out to members of the public, to let them test them and to learn from their experiences. When the test ended, many of the testers were desperate to keep their cars but were not allowed to, under any circumstances, no matter how much they offered to pay for them. The cars vanished but were eventually tracked down to an isolated storage facility. Even once found, GM refused to let anyone have them.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Fracking Hell on 12:54 - Jul 30 with 379 viewsJigsore

Fracking Hell on 07:32 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

Do you really think any Government is going to ignore the chance to secure our own power supply into the future? All within our own control?

funny meaning of the word 'secure' you've got there

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Fracking Hell on 13:14 - Jul 30 with 372 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fracking Hell on 12:54 - Jul 30 by Jigsore

funny meaning of the word 'secure' you've got there

Not really. Why?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024