Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mexico holiday advice 19:18 - Jul 29 with 3472 viewsCamberleyR

I'm getting married next year and me and the soon to be Mrs Camberley quite fancy Mexico as a honeymoon destination. I was wondering if the LFW faithful are able to recommend any particularly good resorts and resorts to avoid (we've already ruled out Cancun as friends have told us to avoid) and any good hotels in these resorts.

Thanks in advance.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mexico holiday advice on 19:30 - Jul 29 with 3448 viewssimmohoopster

We stayed here on our holiday in Mexico. About an hour south of Cancun

http://www.karismahotels.com/hotelsresorts/foradultsonly/eldoradoseasidesuites

It was luxury for two weeks. Food was great. It was near Tulum which has some great ruins to see. We swam with dolphins which was also nearby. We went on a tour to the Chichen Itza which was worth it but it was a good two and a half hour drive away. We also did some jungle trekking as well. Would love to go back.

It's an adult only resort so you find lots of honeymooners there & no kids to spoil a romantic holiday. It's not kinky adults only
Mexico holiday advice on 19:35 - Jul 29 with 3433 viewspaesanu

What a coincidence! I also went to Eldorado Seaside Suites for them honeymoon. Highly recommended, the resort was beautiful and the staff were as smiley and friendl as you can get. Booked via the Thomson website who were also pretty smooth.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Mexico holiday advice on 19:41 - Jul 29 with 3423 viewskensalriser

Serious point to consider - the water in Mexico is not clean. Regardless of where you stay, you run the risk of getting dysentery.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Mexico holiday advice on 20:40 - Jul 29 with 3387 viewsrongould

R's fan Michael Nyman lives in Mexico City
I have other friends in Puebla,in the shadow of Popacatapetl
I will ask them for recommendations
Mexico holiday advice on 20:53 - Jul 29 with 3369 viewsPeterHucker

Weirdly enough, I've also been to the El Dorado Seaside Suites (in 2006) and would have no hesitation in recommending it.
If I could afford it I'd go there every year.
Go to Xcaret which is just down the road. Also enjoyed the swimming with turtles trip. But mainly just lazing around, drinking free cocktails in the sun with mostly Americans and Canadians, who were great company.
Mexico holiday advice on 21:03 - Jul 29 with 3355 viewsqueensparker

I would 100% recommend Tulum, would be an amazing place for a honeymoon. The beach there is about one of the best in the world, the food is great (didn't chunder once), it's not too crowded, and there are loads of beach huts to stay in right on the beach. Just throw on a T-shirt and trunks and flip-flops and eat and drink and swim. Given it's your honeymoon doubt you'll be that bothered about day-trips/sights etc

The downside is it's pretty pricey now as a lot of New Yorkers go there (and took a bit of paying off), but it's not dodgy like Cancun

[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 21:10]
Mexico holiday advice on 21:15 - Jul 29 with 3329 viewsBostonR

Riu Yucatan . Great hotel and fantastic location!
Mexico holiday advice on 21:43 - Jul 29 with 3296 viewsTrance_Trousers

Boston

Did you use the other two Riu Hotels while you stayed at the Yucatan ?. Looking to go next year for the big 50.

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

Login to get fewer ads

Mexico holiday advice on 22:50 - Jul 29 with 3241 viewsbarbicanranger

Mexico holiday advice on 20:40 - Jul 29 by rongould

R's fan Michael Nyman lives in Mexico City
I have other friends in Puebla,in the shadow of Popacatapetl
I will ask them for recommendations

I lived in the shadow of Popo for a year - incredible place - Cholula, Puebla
Mexico holiday advice on 23:00 - Jul 29 with 3227 viewsbarbicanranger

RE original post - I would avoid Cancun, like you have already decided. The other towns from Cancun airport and along what they call the Maya Riviera are Playa Del Carmen or Tulum, both are excellent but different (the former is more shops, cafes, bars a European Cancun if you will and the latter is a remote beach boho place). There are also several resorts along the Maya Riviera - which are probably ideal honeymoon locations. A new place that has sprung up in popularity in recent years but is still relatively untrodden is a sand bar island called Holbox (3 hrs transfer from Cancun) - I spent a week there in 2010 and it's a special place (just google it), would highly recommend. Las Nubes hotel is probably best place for Honeymooners to stay.

The other option would be to fly to Mexico City airport and hit the Pacific Coast - but that would be more of an adventure / activity driven holiday and not sure that'd work for a honeymoon but if you fancied that it's one of the most amazing coast lines I have ever been to.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2014 23:01]
Mexico holiday advice on 23:41 - Jul 29 with 3197 viewsCamberleyR

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, keep 'em coming!

Mexico holiday advice on 00:26 - Jul 30 with 3181 viewsTripper

Been the last three years, always to Play Del Carmen which I highly recommend.

Stayed here last year and paid extra for the Royal Service, it was a wonderful hotel but with a pretty small beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g150812-d2064902-Reviews-Paradisus_Pla

Going to try this one next.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g150812-d2064902-Reviews-Paradisus_Pla

[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 0:28]
Mexico holiday advice on 00:30 - Jul 30 with 3175 viewsSonofNorfolt

Mexico City and it's surrounds are worth visiting.
Highlights for me were watching a match at the Azteca, bizarrely walking around Trotsky's residence where he was assassinated, but the must see are the pyramids at
Teotihuacan.
Puebla is nice for a day trip.
If you head for the Pacific coast, then Cabo San Lucas at the tip of Baja California is popular with the Septics but would be fine to relax for a few days.
Mexico holiday advice on 00:57 - Jul 30 with 3158 viewsCamberleyR

Mexico holiday advice on 00:26 - Jul 30 by Tripper

Been the last three years, always to Play Del Carmen which I highly recommend.

Stayed here last year and paid extra for the Royal Service, it was a wonderful hotel but with a pretty small beach.

Going to try this one next.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 0:28]

Tripper, that Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla looks fantastic and it's Trip Advisor reviews are excellent. Upgrading to the Royal Service for a few hundred quid extra seems a bit of a no brainer as well. Quite fancy being waited on by your own butler!
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 1:27]

Mexico holiday advice on 07:50 - Jul 30 with 3096 views1MoreBrightonR

I have family who have a place in Baja California and they love it. Lots of Americans but not in the package holiday spring break way that Cancun is. It sounds very quiet and relaxing and looks amazing.

I've done mexico city, Puebla and then Puerto Escondido on the pacific coast which was great but it's more of a back packer than honeymoon scene.
Mexico holiday advice on 09:38 - Jul 30 with 3052 viewsHarps1609

I went to Rivera Maya last year, it was about an hour and 15 minutes from the airport. I stayed at the Grand Sirenis, it was paradise and we are booked to go in 2015 to the same place. Couldn't fault it in anyway, great food, beautiful beaches, clean....everything you want.
Mexico holiday advice on 09:42 - Jul 30 with 3049 viewsDWQPR

Went to Cancun way back in 1996, had a great time there staying at the Ceasars Palace Hotel. Could someone enlighten me why Cancun has fallen from such grace now?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Mexico holiday advice on 10:26 - Jul 30 with 3031 viewsCamberleyR

Mexico holiday advice on 09:42 - Jul 30 by DWQPR

Went to Cancun way back in 1996, had a great time there staying at the Ceasars Palace Hotel. Could someone enlighten me why Cancun has fallen from such grace now?

Rowdy squaddies I think. I've heard it's where the British and American armies now send their soldiers for R 'n' R.

Mexico holiday advice on 13:47 - Jul 30 with 2985 viewsballbag

Good thread...my missus and I only just bought tickets to Mexico last week!

We're planning to travel around Latin America a bit but wanted to visit some mates in Guadalajara first; figured out that the cheapest way was flying to Cancun, then an internal to GDL.

Turns out that after seeing how amazing the Riviera Maya looked, we decided to take a week-long pit-stop in Tulum, Playa and thereabouts.

Love a good Mayan ruin by the beach me.

Any recommendations on GDL and Jalisco in general are very welcome.

Cheers
Mexico holiday advice on 13:57 - Jul 30 with 2980 viewsericgen34

We also went to Yucatan an loved it. We had some cheap flights to Cancun - shit place - hired a car and travelled around for 3 weeks. The highlights were:
- Tulum. Great ruins, great beach and also can find some good places to say. It is a bit crwoded but the beach is so huge it doesnt feel like that too much
- Chichen Itza is a must see. We reached it one evening, slept in a near by hotel and visited the ruins when they opened the next day which meant we had the whole lot for ourselves as the coaches from Cancun only arrive late morning
- Coba ruins, smaller than chichen itza but in jungle with crocodiles. It felt like being in Tintin in Le temple du soleil (dont know the english name)
- Punta Allen. Great track road from Tulum, great diving on the coral reef and some boat rides in the mangrove. Not many places to stay but it felt secluded
Mexico holiday advice on 16:37 - Jul 30 with 2933 viewsBostonR

Mexico holiday advice on 21:43 - Jul 29 by Trance_Trousers

Boston

Did you use the other two Riu Hotels while you stayed at the Yucatan ?. Looking to go next year for the big 50.

Yes. The area around the Riveria Maya is beautiful and very safe. Would highly recommend. Also, try and fly the Thomson Dreamliner-very relaxing as it can ba a long flight out.
Mexico holiday advice on 19:00 - Jul 30 with 2904 viewsTrance_Trousers

Cheers Boston.

Booked it up with Thomsons, and yep going on the Dreamliner.

Just to add liked the look of the optics in the bathroom.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 19:03]

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

Mexico holiday advice on 01:25 - Jul 31 with 2834 viewsSonofNorfolt

Mexico holiday advice on 19:00 - Jul 30 by Trance_Trousers

Cheers Boston.

Booked it up with Thomsons, and yep going on the Dreamliner.

Just to add liked the look of the optics in the bathroom.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 19:03]

No 50th party then mate?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024