Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That didn't last long 21:35 - Jul 30 with 3099 viewsMrSheen

Celtic 4-1 down and Legia have missed two pens.

Three former champions in the qualifying round, none of whom will ever win it again. Celtic - Feyenoord - Steaua Bucharest.
That didn't last long on 21:39 - Jul 30 with 2309 viewsNorthernr

Always one of my favourite times of year this - Scottish "giants" crash out of Europe day. 12 months of endless fixtures against Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and St Mirren ahead, with only the small minded religious sectarianism to entertain them. Marvelous.
That didn't last long on 21:40 - Jul 30 with 2300 viewsMrSheen

That didn't last long on 21:39 - Jul 30 by Northernr

Always one of my favourite times of year this - Scottish "giants" crash out of Europe day. 12 months of endless fixtures against Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and St Mirren ahead, with only the small minded religious sectarianism to entertain them. Marvelous.

They don't even have the sectarianism to look forward to this year. It's gonna be lonely this Christmas...
That didn't last long on 21:44 - Jul 30 with 2277 viewsTelford_QPR

The obsession with shit Scottish football on this forum always amazes me
That didn't last long on 21:53 - Jul 30 with 2223 viewsTacticalR

That didn't last long on 21:44 - Jul 30 by Telford_QPR

It's good to look down on somebody.

Air hostess clique

That didn't last long on 21:55 - Jul 30 with 2210 viewsderbyhoop

especially when we scout the youngsters at Dundee United, St Johnstone and others but don't sign any of them

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

That didn't last long on 21:56 - Jul 30 with 2210 viewsMrSheen

Any football will do this time of year, even Scottish.
That didn't last long on 21:59 - Jul 30 with 2182 viewsRblock_James

Brilliant stuff.

Couldn't happen to a scummier club.
That didn't last long on 22:04 - Jul 30 with 2154 viewsTacticalR

That didn't last long on 21:56 - Jul 30 by MrSheen

Any football will do this time of year, even Scottish.

There speaks a desperate man.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

That didn't last long on 22:05 - Jul 30 with 2149 viewsNorthernr

Well if you'd like to talk about Loic Remy, Adel Taarabt or panic about our transfer activity I've got three quarters of a million other threads I could interest you in?
That didn't last long on 22:08 - Jul 30 with 2123 viewsTacticalR

I believe my views on the subject are well-known...you simply can't have too many Adel threads.

Air hostess clique

That didn't last long on 22:11 - Jul 30 with 2108 viewsganjR

Legia Warsaw....managed by Henning Berg....
That didn't last long on 22:17 - Jul 30 with 2082 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That didn't last long on 21:40 - Jul 30 by MrSheen

They don't even have the sectarianism to look forward to this year. It's gonna be lonely this Christmas...

Copyright Mud
That didn't last long on 22:22 - Jul 30 with 2057 viewsmichael67

That didn't last long on 21:53 - Jul 30 by TacticalR

It's good to look down on somebody.

It's good to have someone to look down on!

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

That didn't last long on 22:28 - Jul 30 with 2028 viewseastside_r

Easy to mock I suppose but some of you may recall a team called Artmedia Bratislava (made-up name?) who beat Celtic 5-0 at a similar stage in 2005. Return fixture in Glasgow was 4-0 Celtic, with the hoops coming very close to taking it to extra time on several occasions.

Obviously Celtic are up against it but I would not write them off yet. In fact, were I a betting man, I would be looking at the odds of them progressing.

Remember Barcelona in their pomp were defeated in Glasgow's East End in the Champion's League proper. Something we could only dream of.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 22:29]
That didn't last long on 22:48 - Jul 30 with 1958 viewsganjR

Aberdeen, doing well under McInnes and did great to beat FC Groningen in the last round of the Europa cup face Real Sociedad and Granero tomorrow (I think).
Be interesting to see how he does against a British side.
Celtic have taken a gamble (cheap option) with this new Delia chap.
Looks like the job may be too big for him already and why do Norwegian managers (ok, Solksjaer and Delia, maybe Berg too when at Blackburn), insist on buying Norwegian players when Norway have slipped dramatically over the last few years?
On a side note, Celtic have been linked with Jeff Louis (reportedly for £1.7m) who, when I've seen him has looked very good. Creative midfield goal scorer. Would be a cheap option for us, I reckon.
That didn't last long on 23:48 - Jul 30 with 1853 viewsfrancisbowles

That didn't last long on 21:59 - Jul 30 by Rblock_James

Brilliant stuff.

Couldn't happen to a scummier club.

A club that was good enough to visit Loftus Road on three occasions, when we were poor. (football and finance) They also brought thousands of fans who were pretty good natured.
That didn't last long on 00:05 - Jul 31 with 1829 viewswgchoop

That didn't last long on 23:48 - Jul 30 by francisbowles

A club that was good enough to visit Loftus Road on three occasions, when we were poor. (football and finance) They also brought thousands of fans who were pretty good natured.

So good natured on one of there visits they decided to antagonise rangers fans and throw traffic cones through the windows of the bushranger,nice chaps.
That didn't last long on 01:17 - Jul 31 with 1782 viewsSonofNorfolt

That didn't last long on 00:05 - Jul 31 by wgchoop

So good natured on one of there visits they decided to antagonise rangers fans and throw traffic cones through the windows of the bushranger,nice chaps.

I thought someone mention this, it was off down the Uxbridge Rd too.
Celtic would get a decent amount for playing in friendlies such as these.
I was informed that an application to play Rangers was refused by the Met. We haven't played since '69/70 when Rodney was sent off I think.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 2:30]
That didn't last long on 01:47 - Jul 31 with 1768 viewseastside_r

Well Celtic have played us three times at LR in friendlies in recent times and only the last occasion I understand there was significant trouble. This was when John Gregory was manager and for reasons I can't divulge, I was very late out of the game. So I don't know the details but heard that some of our friends [sic] from SW6 were in the vicinity and they have a long established relationship with the other lot. The OB pretty much shut every pub in the area and tried to clear it of ALL football supporters.

The friendlies with Celtic in 1999 and 2001 were however an absolute blast. I had mates down from Glasgow staying with me and I have no problem associating with my fellow hoops and these are for football and friendship reasons (i.e. not religion or nationality.)

As previous posters have mentioned Celtic are considered as a money spinning enterprise for pre-season friendlies down here (and pretty much anywhere), the other lot are banned by most police forces in England.

Unfortunately for Greater Manchester Police they could not ban the Gers when they reached the UEFA Cup Final a few years ago. And I think most on here will know how well that went.

Conversely Celtic travelled to Seville for the same trophy a couple of years earlier, deemed the biggest exodus from Scotland since the Highland Clearances and there were zero arrests.

Go figure.
That didn't last long on 03:01 - Jul 31 with 1730 viewsSonofNorfolt

I was not apportioning blame to anyone, but will clarify some points.
There were incidents at both games, the first year I witnessed as I was I drinking with Irish mates, and the later match, saw Celtic with a mob which i can best descibe as anarchists.
At neither game, did I hear of any Girlsname 'boys' present.

It is reckoned that there were up to 250K 'gers in Manchester at the UEFA Cup Final in 2008. Fortunately I had a ticket so saw none of the trouble in the city centre. The main reason for this that the fan park had three times the allowed number of supporters to watch the match, so, a genius decided to pull the plug of the giant screen shortly before kick off Many of the boozers were either shut or packed out, leaving a massive number unable to watch their team. Of course this has always been denied, Frankly, what do you expect the reaction to be? Even the Faroe Is XI whalers would have gone mental.
Celtic would have been no different.
That didn't last long on 07:13 - Jul 31 with 1643 viewsQPRski

That didn't last long on 22:11 - Jul 30 by ganjR

Legia Warsaw....managed by Henning Berg....

The result was a big suprise in Poland as to date Legia have been playing very poorly both in the earlier rounds of the qualifications as well as the start of the league fixtures (no winter break). This was the first match they played well this season and I was very suprised by their performance (apart from the penalty taking) which was unusually good.

As for Henning Berg as manager, he has received a lot of criticism and did not seem up to the job - well at least up to yesterday.

Very strange things happen in Polish football, but I hope that Legia are able to hold on to this lead in the away leg.

p.s. I don't know if anyone notice the stadium? It a tight 31,000 capacity typical "football stadium" with a good atmopshere which cost only 96M pounds (500M PLN). Certainly the best club football stadium in Poland and not a bad benchmark for a new LR.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 7:13]
That didn't last long on 07:32 - Jul 31 with 1626 viewsthemodfather

well done the poles.....well done celtic too!
That didn't last long on 08:50 - Jul 31 with 1564 viewsqprwpg

That didn't last long on 07:13 - Jul 31 by QPRski

The result was a big suprise in Poland as to date Legia have been playing very poorly both in the earlier rounds of the qualifications as well as the start of the league fixtures (no winter break). This was the first match they played well this season and I was very suprised by their performance (apart from the penalty taking) which was unusually good.

As for Henning Berg as manager, he has received a lot of criticism and did not seem up to the job - well at least up to yesterday.

Very strange things happen in Polish football, but I hope that Legia are able to hold on to this lead in the away leg.

p.s. I don't know if anyone notice the stadium? It a tight 31,000 capacity typical "football stadium" with a good atmopshere which cost only 96M pounds (500M PLN). Certainly the best club football stadium in Poland and not a bad benchmark for a new LR.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 7:13]

Agreed on the stadium, a very nice one and would be perfect for Rangers. I've said this before though in one of the stadium threads.

I think Legia played well, but Celtic were bad at the back. Leaving players open, not fighting for the ball, etc... not much commitment. But I think they gave up after the red card anyways. The penalties were shocking. If any of their games end in penalties, they are in trouble.

Twitter: @qprwpg

That didn't last long on 09:25 - Jul 31 with 1535 viewsBluce_Ree

Great news! Anything that hurts that awful group of fans, the better. The way they act sometimes, they aren't even fking human sometimes. As much as I hate Chelsea, at least I can accept the fact that they are just football fans who were cursed with supporting the scum. Although, f**k them as well. C**ts.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

That didn't last long on 10:29 - Jul 31 with 1476 viewsKonk

That didn't last long on 03:01 - Jul 31 by SonofNorfolt

I was not apportioning blame to anyone, but will clarify some points.
There were incidents at both games, the first year I witnessed as I was I drinking with Irish mates, and the later match, saw Celtic with a mob which i can best descibe as anarchists.
At neither game, did I hear of any Girlsname 'boys' present.

It is reckoned that there were up to 250K 'gers in Manchester at the UEFA Cup Final in 2008. Fortunately I had a ticket so saw none of the trouble in the city centre. The main reason for this that the fan park had three times the allowed number of supporters to watch the match, so, a genius decided to pull the plug of the giant screen shortly before kick off Many of the boozers were either shut or packed out, leaving a massive number unable to watch their team. Of course this has always been denied, Frankly, what do you expect the reaction to be? Even the Faroe Is XI whalers would have gone mental.
Celtic would have been no different.

Sorry Mel, but I was up there for the game too, and a couple of points:

(1) GMP estimated that there were about 125 - 150,000 Rangers fans in Manchester for the final. That’s the figure that got reported at the time and a quick google has figures in that region reported in the Scottish and English press following the game.

(2) When the big screen broke down, the engineer trying to mend it was pelted with bottles and reasonably enough, the decision was taken that he shouldn’t have to work in those conditions, so the big screen remained unfixed.

I know that fans of both Glasgow clubs love a conspiracy theory, but I’m really struggling with the idea that the GMP thought deliberately bringing a screen down just before kick-off would help things on the law and order front. As ever with both of the OF it’s always somebody else’s fault — I’ve heard all of this from Rangers fans, politicians and Scottish football writers:

The “Rangers fans” who attacked the police were in fact all English — no Rangers fans were involved. GMP hushed this up because they wanted sympathy after provoking the riot.

Shops, pubs and bars shouldn’t have sold so much alcohol to people. Like the white man selling firewater to Native Americans, the poor wee lambs had no idea what would happen if they each wolfed down a crate of warm Stella whilst sat out in the sunshine.

The GMP took down the big screen to provoke a riot to make Scottish football fans look bad because the English are embarrassed by how well behaved Scottish fans are in comparison to their own. Obviously.

We got into Piccadilly at midday and the place was already heaving with people absolutely off their faces (fair enough), but by late afternoon, people weren’t even bothering with pi ssing in alleys — they were pissing against shop windows whilst the shops were open. Nice. I was there with Manc mates, so we fu cked off from the city centre and went drinking over Salford way, where people were thoughtfully pissing en masse in the graveyard opposite the pub we were drinking outside of. After the game went to meet a couple of Rangers mates in the city centre, but sacked that off as it was all a bit moody. Went back to our hotel bar, which by then had turned into the Larkhall Loyal fu cknut club complete with King Billy flags and the usual songs, so sacked that off and went to bed.

Walked through town the following morning and all you could smell was pis s, with broken glass everywhere. Got to Piccadilly to wait for our train, and were fairly surprised to see a fair few Rangers fans just pissing up against walls and shop fronts inside the station, whilst the morning commuters arrived for work. Charming.

All in all, not a great advert for Rangers, Glasgow or Scotland, and I’m sure it would have been the same with Celtic, who in my experience, are also generally a bunch of fu cking idiots.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024