Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Can I get" 12:50 - Jul 31 with 7404 viewsloftboy

Heard 3 different women use that today. Ffs should be shot

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

"Can I get" on 09:36 - Aug 1 with 1030 viewsA40Bosh

"Can I get" on 15:28 - Jul 31 by Juzzie

"I just need to reach out to...." is creeping in at work.

'Reach out'? Fk off, what's wrong with "I need to contact...." or "get in touch with"?

A lot of these examples aren't an evolution of language, as is often cited by those defending it, it's Americanism bastardisation of a perfectly good langauge.

"Reach out"
Yep, that really does my crust in and has come in to our office parlance in the last couple of years.

If I want to "Reach Out" I will listen to a Motown song thank you very much, in the meantime I will "contact" my esteemed colleague to "ask for assistance with said problem"

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

"Can I get" on 10:05 - Aug 1 with 1012 viewsPommyhoop

On the flip side ( oops i sort of winced at that)
1> '' I'll warrant you that you have not ''
2>'' I bet you aint'

I'd rather have a pint with speaker number 2.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

"Can I get" on 10:25 - Aug 1 with 999 viewsMonahoop

"Can I get" on 22:28 - Jul 31 by Match82

Literally is the one that annoys me.
It literally doesn't make me explode with rage.

I've been in the US a while now and unfortunately have started using some of these, including "can I get" which I know it's wrong, but I'm too lazy to have the argument or have to repeat myself every time.

I draw the line at the phrase "soccer" though...

Soccer was a word I believe created by the English, but was quickly shunned by the English and the Scots in preference for good old fashioned football. However in nations where there are different codes of football ie Ireland, USA and Australia, the term soccer is often used in preference so as not to confuse the uninitiated to their codes. Gaelic football [GAA] is nearly always referred to as football over here, so the term soccer is used for Association Football or as many old timers or staunch republicans refer to as 'the English game'. However those not into the Gaelic games refer to soccer as football. I always say football [ being English ] and if talking about about GAA I say Gaelic. On no uncertain terms refer Gaelic Football to as Gaelic Soccer as some naive Yanks have quote. The end result can be quite unpleasant!

The term 'sick' for something good or 'cool' is a really daft usage of the word, but I believe now no longer fashionable, though I heard it used by a jazz musician on a radio programme the other week. My youngest nephew in England was always using it when
he was still at school. It's a slang term from Australia apparently. Yes, well,say no more.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

"Can I get" on 10:43 - Aug 1 with 988 viewsPinnerPaul

ANY sentence that contains the word "Adel" is getting on my nerves at he mo!
"Can I get" on 13:38 - Aug 1 with 933 viewsR_from_afar

"Can I get" on 14:46 - Jul 31 by Discodroid

as used every 2.763 seconds by the good people of brentwood, essex.

"im not gonna lie" before everything.

"to be fair" after everything

Hmm the "to be fair one": A lot of people on the telly use that when they actually mean "To be honest".

One horrible expression which Sky now seem to be contractually obliged to insert into their programming at least once an hour is: "We'll keep you *across* XYZ". That is just pure gibberish.

As is "I'm *good*, thanks" in reply to "How the devil are you, old fruit?" The word they are looking for is "well".

Then there's the "let's take a noun, sprinkle fairy dust (when it's not being used to power cars, that is ) over it and magically turn it into a verb". Perhaps the people who do that are used to the way the German langauge allows it, but English doesn't work that way plus there are invariably existing ways of saying the same thing. Bah!

RFA (dyed in the wool humbug)

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

"Can I get" on 13:41 - Aug 1 with 940 viewsHantsR

"Can I get" on 13:38 - Aug 1 by R_from_afar

Hmm the "to be fair one": A lot of people on the telly use that when they actually mean "To be honest".

One horrible expression which Sky now seem to be contractually obliged to insert into their programming at least once an hour is: "We'll keep you *across* XYZ". That is just pure gibberish.

As is "I'm *good*, thanks" in reply to "How the devil are you, old fruit?" The word they are looking for is "well".

Then there's the "let's take a noun, sprinkle fairy dust (when it's not being used to power cars, that is ) over it and magically turn it into a verb". Perhaps the people who do that are used to the way the German langauge allows it, but English doesn't work that way plus there are invariably existing ways of saying the same thing. Bah!

RFA (dyed in the wool humbug)

Americans reckon there isn't a noun that can't be verbed.
"Can I get" on 13:45 - Aug 1 with 933 viewsR_from_afar

"Can I get" on 22:22 - Jul 31 by billericaydicky

Agree entirely loftboy - 'Can I get' is awful.

Others I hate are the over-use and inappropriae use of the word 'like' as in 'I was like...'

Also 'literally' and 'absolutely'.

'Nothink' and 'loose' instead of lose.

Grrr

Ah the "literally" one... I still remember the Colemanball cartoon of that one. "A wicket could fall at literally any time," was the quote and the cartoonist had depicted two cricket teams tucking into their cucumber sandwiches as the bails mysteriously descended. Beautiful.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

"Can I get" on 13:47 - Aug 1 with 930 viewsR_from_afar

"Can I get" on 22:37 - Jul 31 by ted_hendrix

"Can you lend me sixpence"?

"Yes but I'm not going to"

You tightwad. It's not legal tender any more so go on, let them have it! The joke's on them.

Err, now where did I put my pills?

RFA

Login to get fewer ads

"Can I get" on 14:02 - Aug 1 with 912 viewsHantsR

You know I don't care for folk saying they are going to "meet with" somebody rather than just "meet" them.

Take this example from George Smiley in "The Honourable Schoolboy":

‘They want to meet with you at the Annexe as soon as possible. I'm to ring back by yesterday.’
‘They want what?’
‘To meet you. But they use the preposition.’
‘Do they? Do they really? Good Lord. I suppose it's the German influence. Or is it old English? Meet with. Well I must say.’ And he lumbered off to the bathroom to shave.
"Can I get" on 14:04 - Aug 1 with 908 viewskensalriser

Loan when you really mean borrow.

As in 'QPR loaned Ravel Morrison'. No, West Ham loaned him. QPR borrowed him.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

"Can I get" on 14:04 - Aug 1 with 907 viewsheadhoops

I would join in, however, someone will only redact my comments. redact? leave it out.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

"Can I get" on 00:20 - Aug 2 with 838 viewsisawqpratwcity

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

"Can I get" on 06:28 - Aug 2 with 813 viewsisawqpratwcity

another one, even more apt...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024