Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Can I get" 12:50 - Jul 31 with 7406 viewsloftboy

Heard 3 different women use that today. Ffs should be shot

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

"Can I get" on 12:55 - Jul 31 with 3801 viewsenfieldargh

my sons say this when ordering in restaurants....I'm becoming a boring father as I keep telling them to go into the kitchen and help themselves.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

(No subject) on 13:03 - Jul 31 with 3763 viewswhiffer

Agreed. Probably the same people that say "going forward" when they mean "in future"
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 13:07]
"Can I get" on 13:06 - Jul 31 with 3738 viewsTonto

there are worse examples of mis-use of our language.

"yeah no" being one - well which do you mean?
"so I turned around and said" - no you didnt, you almost certainly stayed still and just carried on in the same position
"bring" vs "take" - you don't bring a bottle, you take it...

but top of my list... "your not getting nuffink" - double negative, so you are getting something

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

"Can I get" on 13:13 - Jul 31 with 3675 viewsQPunkR

"Can I get" on 13:06 - Jul 31 by Tonto

"so I turned around and said" - no you didnt, you almost certainly stayed still and just carried on in the same position

but top of my list... "your not getting nuffink" - double negative, so you are getting something

My missus struggles to comprehend the concept of double-negatives and why I KEEP ON BLOODY CORRECTING HER

Then again she's from East London and thinks spelling constitutes a 'skill'

QPR - "shit but local"

"Can I get" on 13:15 - Jul 31 with 3657 viewsexiled_dictator

Borrow me your pen

and

aks as opposed to ask

are two that really itch my

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

"Can I get" on 13:16 - Jul 31 with 3657 viewseghamranger

Same people that start every sentence with Basically
(No subject) on 13:18 - Jul 31 with 3642 viewsizlingtonhoop

You're probably pi ssing in the wind loft boy.
English is fairly democratic, and that particular construct kinda makes sense, and once something is accepted generally you're tilting against windmills.

'Very fun', is one that gets me, but all young people seem to use it now.

But no one can ever of any excuse for ofing 'of' instead of have ('ve)! It makes no sense, see (not you LB, but too many others on here).

Edit

By the way, I read Hunter S Thompson's Hell's Angels last year, and he uses of for 've a couple of times in that. And that was 1966-ish, do it's been around a long time.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 13:29]
"Can I get" on 13:23 - Jul 31 with 3625 viewsQPunkR

And another thing. If you were under-educated/lazy in class/stupid or whatever, even if you can't spell for shit, there's no excuse for constantly miss-spelling our own players' names. Especially people who contrive to spell them a different way every bloody time!

Yes, I can be very petty

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 13:24 - Jul 31 with 3622 viewsizlingtonhoop

"Can I get" on 13:06 - Jul 31 by Tonto

Top examples Tonto

Yeah no - Australian meaningless nonsense, like the rising inflection.

Turned around - so irritating, hardly anyone ever did as you point out, although I do remember talking to a colleague once and using that phrase, and as I pointed out to him during that conversation, I don't use it but I actually did turn around and say it. Although I remember the conversation, I have no memory of what it was I turned around and said.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 13:24]
"Can I get" on 13:26 - Jul 31 with 3600 viewsPinnerPaul

One from a letter in paper today

Why do people always say "Its goes without saying...." and then say it anyway!
(No subject) on 13:27 - Jul 31 with 3599 viewsizlingtonhoop

(No subject) on 13:03 - Jul 31 by whiffer

Agreed. Probably the same people that say "going forward" when they mean "in future"
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 13:07]

Bloody Seb Coe, he's always going on about 'going forward', and 'the journey' when nobody is actually going anywhere; and others too metaphorically numerous and twa tty to remember!
(No subject) on 13:31 - Jul 31 with 3569 viewsTonto

(No subject) on 13:24 - Jul 31 by izlingtonhoop

Top examples Tonto

Yeah no - Australian meaningless nonsense, like the rising inflection.

Turned around - so irritating, hardly anyone ever did as you point out, although I do remember talking to a colleague once and using that phrase, and as I pointed out to him during that conversation, I don't use it but I actually did turn around and say it. Although I remember the conversation, I have no memory of what it was I turned around and said.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 13:24]

theres a guy in my office who uses it all the time - for each person in the conversation...

so at various points the people are either looking at each other, away from each other or back to back, and yet still talking...

"Can I get" on 13:36 - Jul 31 with 3540 viewsDaBurgh

Come on guys, English is constantly evolving and changing, no big deal, for gawds sake 'think outside the box!'
"Can I get" on 13:40 - Jul 31 with 3524 viewsizlingtonhoop

"Can I get" on 13:36 - Jul 31 by DaBurgh

Come on guys, English is constantly evolving and changing, no big deal, for gawds sake 'think outside the box!'

We'll have to 'drill down' to see exactly what is going on though; before we 'roll it out'.
"Can I get" on 13:47 - Jul 31 with 3486 viewsMrSheen

"Can I get" on 13:40 - Jul 31 by izlingtonhoop

We'll have to 'drill down' to see exactly what is going on though; before we 'roll it out'.

Can we park this? Will revert soonest.
"Can I get" on 13:49 - Jul 31 with 3476 viewssimmo

"Can I get" on 13:36 - Jul 31 by DaBurgh

That's the kind of blue sky thinking I like to see.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

"Can I get" on 13:52 - Jul 31 with 3455 viewsHarlesdon

More old people whinging about things changing

zzzzzzzzzzz
"Can I get" on 13:54 - Jul 31 with 3446 viewsenfieldargh

I hear so many people mention their insurance access........

I'm usually the only one who sings to say, Forest fans 'You're just a small town near Derby' when all around are singing 'Your just small town in Derby ' or have I missed the point?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

"Can I get" on 13:55 - Jul 31 with 3448 viewsizlingtonhoop

"Can I get" on 13:52 - Jul 31 by Harlesdon

zzzzzzzzzzz

Yep!

And what do you do for kicks?
"Can I get" on 13:57 - Jul 31 with 3425 viewsHarlesdon

"Can I get" on 13:55 - Jul 31 by izlingtonhoop

Yep!

And what do you do for kicks?

"kicks"?

THIS IS ENGLAND MATE
"Can I get" on 13:58 - Jul 31 with 3417 viewsTonto

"Can I get" on 13:54 - Jul 31 by enfieldargh

I hear so many people mention their insurance access........

I'm usually the only one who sings to say, Forest fans 'You're just a small town near Derby' when all around are singing 'Your just small town in Derby ' or have I missed the point?

lets not start on football chants - our own "If you can't talk proper shut your mouth" is easily the worst of the lot... as its not sung with any irony at all....

"Can I get" on 14:05 - Jul 31 with 3383 viewsA40Bosh

My Bad!!

Where the fcuk did that one come from all of a sudden.

One has to be careful with drilling the received pronunciation on to one's offspring though. I used to correct my middle daughter when she would not pronounce her "t" sound at the end of words, as in 2"thaT" I would say "the word is "that,t,t,t," but when she was about 4 started to put an echo on the T on some of her words ending in T and she was not doing it on purpose either to wind me up either. We thought we had screwed her up for good but it only lasted a few weeks

Now she merely sounds like Lady Mary Crawley in Downtown Abbey - which probably does not go down too well at her secondary school, but it will stand to her when she gets to Oxford

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

(No subject) on 14:18 - Jul 31 with 3338 viewsJuzzie

"Can I get" on 13:52 - Jul 31 by Harlesdon

zzzzzzzzzzz

You'll be old sooner than you know and you'll be saying exactly the same things as people on here then
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 14:31]
"Can I get" on 14:24 - Jul 31 with 3308 viewsrsonist

"Can I get" on 13:23 - Jul 31 by QPunkR

And another thing. If you were under-educated/lazy in class/stupid or whatever, even if you can't spell for shit, there's no excuse for constantly miss-spelling our own players' names. Especially people who contrive to spell them a different way every bloody time!

Yes, I can be very petty

Yeah grammatical solecisms I can understand (tolerate occasionally) but this is a different kettle of fish... having a slightly foreign surname myself I'm fairly weary of it and I've never quite been able to tell if it's down to English monocultural ignorance or just plain lazy disrespect.

The weirdest thing is when people will refuse to even attempt pronouncing a foreign name by phonetic syllable the way a child would with any new word, and instead will either just mangle it or give up.
"Can I get" on 14:28 - Jul 31 with 3284 viewsrsonist

I do still enjoy referring to Swansea's right back as "Angle Wrangle" though to be fair.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024