Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Can I get" 12:50 - Jul 31 with 7407 viewsloftboy

Heard 3 different women use that today. Ffs should be shot

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

"Can I get" on 14:35 - Jul 31 with 1417 viewsdanehoop

"Can I get" on 13:57 - Jul 31 by Harlesdon

"kicks"?

THIS IS ENGLAND MATE

But your possibly erroneous assumption is that everyone on here is in England, when that doesnt seem to be so.

As for Kicks, well I'd direct you towards the Undertones "Teenage Kicks" released in 1978 to identify the expression as well based in British culture for over 35 years. One could also draw an assumption that the expression was in wider use before that time for it to be picked up then.

I am also taking an inference from your recent posts that it is the summer holidays for school children.

Never knowingly understood

"Can I get" on 14:38 - Jul 31 with 1417 viewsbob566

i don't have a huge problem with any of the above.

I don't like text talk though.
"Can I get" on 14:42 - Jul 31 with 1408 viewsCiderwithRsie

My biggest hate: Refute, as in "Well, I refute that." Well go on and do so, because so far you bloody haven't.

OED definition: 1 prove the falsity or error of a statement...2 rebut or repel by argument. Emphasis on PROVE and BY ARGUMENT - apologies for the caps but there's no italics on here.

"deny or contradict without argument" is only the 3rd definition and is listed by OED as "disputed or incorrect" and as "possibly confused with repudiate" but is used all the bleeding time by spokesmen and politicians.

It's not just evolution of the language or "old people complaining." It is avoiding the need to properly argue or prove things, in favour of just making assertions and insisting that your view is not subject to challenge. [Not that anyone would do that on here, natch.] As such it is eroding the ability of people to construct arguments and consider evidence, because you don't need to. If anyone says anything you don't like, just say you refute it and the job's a good 'un.

The fact that degree-eductaed interviewers on e.g. Radio 4 let this pass shows how bad things have got. If logic was taught in schools as a compulsory subject it would be a start in reclaiming the ability to think.

Of course language changes but it is the tool we use to think in and if you balls it up there are serious consequences.
"Can I get" on 14:46 - Jul 31 with 1385 viewsDiscodroid

as used every 2.763 seconds by the good people of brentwood, essex.

"im not gonna lie" before everything.

"to be fair" after everything

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

"Can I get" on 14:47 - Jul 31 with 1388 viewsDaBurgh

I blame music and television, words and phrases are creeping into the language without us evening knowing about it...

"Can I get" on 14:59 - Jul 31 with 1358 viewspaulparker

The one that does my swede in is if I ask one of the lads about an account at work
and the opening line I get is always, "Basically yeah" in that horrible ghetto voice

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

"Can I get" on 15:00 - Jul 31 with 1357 viewsJuzzie

"It's not just evolution of the language or "old people complaining." It is avoiding the need to properly argue or prove things, in favour of just making assertions and insisting that your view is not subject to challenge. [Not that anyone would do that on here, natch.] As such it is eroding the ability of people to construct arguments and consider evidence, because you don't need to. If anyone says anything you don't like, just say you refute it and the job's a good 'un."

Yup, just accuse some one of being racist/religonist/sexist and job done. Why go to the trouble of trying to construct a proper argument when you can throw in the R card.

Same at work. If anyone of us mentions having too much work to do, things not working as they should, problems with people etc, we just get told "be thankful you have a job" or "it's tough out there". Job done, nice and easy. Kills the conversation stone dead without the bosses actually having do deal with it.
"Can I get" on 15:17 - Jul 31 with 1326 viewsJigsore

"Can I get" on 13:52 - Jul 31 by Harlesdon

More old people whinging about things changing

zzzzzzzzzzz

welcome to LFW, enjoy your stay

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Login to get fewer ads

"Can I get" on 15:20 - Jul 31 with 1321 viewsStanisgod

" A shout out to " WTF ! Whats wrong with " and a hello to " ??????

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

(No subject) on 15:21 - Jul 31 with 1317 viewsDiscodroid

im not gonna lie harlesdon and jigsore , but we also talk football, music, film, fuc king, drugs,booze history, the arts and counter cultures of all genres, to be fair.

most of the major food groups as far as im concerned.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2014 15:24]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

"Can I get" on 15:26 - Jul 31 with 1308 viewsBklynRanger

It's an Americanism isn't it? Along with 'my bad', 'awesome', 'kinda', 'yup', 'invite' (as opposed to invitation), 'check it out' and a whole host of others that pop up on here every day. If I pointed them out every time I'd be hidden by everybody (and quite rightly too).

Many of these things are spoken or typed out by perfectly reasonable people who have been swept up in the tide of entertainment imperialism that comes flooding from this boil on the face of humanity in which I live.
"Can I get" on 15:28 - Jul 31 with 1297 viewsJuzzie

"Can I get" on 15:20 - Jul 31 by Stanisgod

" A shout out to " WTF ! Whats wrong with " and a hello to " ??????

"I just need to reach out to...." is creeping in at work.

'Reach out'? Fk off, what's wrong with "I need to contact...." or "get in touch with"?

A lot of these examples aren't an evolution of language, as is often cited by those defending it, it's Americanism bastardisation of a perfectly good langauge.
"Can I get" on 15:31 - Jul 31 with 1293 viewsjohann28

'Can i get' just seems another example of the Americanisation of language, and thus represents the Americanisation of all things

Other common examples include:

liberally punctuating sentences with the word 'like'

use of American sporting metaphors, eg 'touch base'

'I'm good' for 'I'm well'

and truly terrible words such as 'gotten', 'normalcy', 'whatever' and 'period' (full-stop)
"Can I get" on 15:40 - Jul 31 with 1275 viewsizlingtonhoop

"Can I get" on 15:31 - Jul 31 by johann28

'Can i get' just seems another example of the Americanisation of language, and thus represents the Americanisation of all things

Other common examples include:

liberally punctuating sentences with the word 'like'

use of American sporting metaphors, eg 'touch base'

'I'm good' for 'I'm well'

and truly terrible words such as 'gotten', 'normalcy', 'whatever' and 'period' (full-stop)

Mentioned this in another thread, but gotten may seem terrible, but it was not originally an americanism.

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/gotten.htm
"Can I get" on 15:40 - Jul 31 with 1275 viewsfacto

i think the urbanisation of our language by british born afro/carribeans can shoulder a lot of the blame....the fake ,yardie type jamaican accents they put on really irritates me and i always ask them where the accent is from??
"Can I get" on 15:52 - Jul 31 with 1237 viewsStanisgod

"Can I get" on 15:40 - Jul 31 by facto

i think the urbanisation of our language by british born afro/carribeans can shoulder a lot of the blame....the fake ,yardie type jamaican accents they put on really irritates me and i always ask them where the accent is from??

Do they say Harlesden ( or is it HarlesdOn )

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

"Can I get" on 15:52 - Jul 31 with 1235 viewsMrSheen

"..., not so much."

Die!!!
"Can I get" on 15:58 - Jul 31 with 1225 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Using the word "literally" when people mean metaphorically or figuratively seems to be on the rise and winds me up a bit.

It's got to be Yarg

"Can I get" on 16:03 - Jul 31 with 1217 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think it's perfectly fine to dislike misuses of language.
But getting angry about it is pretty pointless. I always think those that get most angriest about such things cling on to the safety and reassurance of something that has rules that need (in their view) to be adhered to. It's something you can definitely be 'right' about (except, of course, in language, whether or spoken or written, such rules are bendy and slippery things that aren't that rigid at all).

Bare bones.

"Can I get" on 16:12 - Jul 31 with 1200 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

"Can I get" on 16:03 - Jul 31 by Antti_Heinola

I think it's perfectly fine to dislike misuses of language.
But getting angry about it is pretty pointless. I always think those that get most angriest about such things cling on to the safety and reassurance of something that has rules that need (in their view) to be adhered to. It's something you can definitely be 'right' about (except, of course, in language, whether or spoken or written, such rules are bendy and slippery things that aren't that rigid at all).

But to go to the extreme, language without rules is just noise.

It's got to be Yarg

"Can I get" on 16:13 - Jul 31 with 1196 viewsTonto

someone in our office (quite senior too) has just said "off of". I frigging hate that.

noooooooooooooooooooo!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

"Can I get" on 16:17 - Jul 31 with 1185 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

"Can I get" on 16:13 - Jul 31 by Tonto

someone in our office (quite senior too) has just said "off of". I frigging hate that.

noooooooooooooooooooo!

He should of said something else. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

It's got to be Yarg

"Can I get" on 16:38 - Jul 31 with 1148 viewsHantsR

"Can I get" on 13:52 - Jul 31 by Harlesdon

More old people whinging about things changing

zzzzzzzzzzz

Well you were obviously asleep during English lessons. (It's "whingeing" by the way)
"Can I get" on 17:52 - Jul 31 with 1095 viewsfacto

also what is it with posh bints who refer to fellow girls as 'guys'??...in chiswick last week n one ambled up to her mates in the bar with ...' hey you guys'??
"Can I get" on 17:59 - Jul 31 with 1090 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Can I get" on 15:00 - Jul 31 by Juzzie

"It's not just evolution of the language or "old people complaining." It is avoiding the need to properly argue or prove things, in favour of just making assertions and insisting that your view is not subject to challenge. [Not that anyone would do that on here, natch.] As such it is eroding the ability of people to construct arguments and consider evidence, because you don't need to. If anyone says anything you don't like, just say you refute it and the job's a good 'un."

Yup, just accuse some one of being racist/religonist/sexist and job done. Why go to the trouble of trying to construct a proper argument when you can throw in the R card.

Same at work. If anyone of us mentions having too much work to do, things not working as they should, problems with people etc, we just get told "be thankful you have a job" or "it's tough out there". Job done, nice and easy. Kills the conversation stone dead without the bosses actually having do deal with it.

In the ideal brain-dead argument X says "you can't say that, it's racist" and Y says "That's just Political Correctness gone mad." Both can then go away convinced of their moral and intellectual rightness and not a brain cell will have been used.

I bet you are "resistant to change in the workplace." Always good for killing opposition to some bloody stupid idea, without having to consider whether the change is actually an improvement.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024