Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Can I get" 12:50 - Jul 31 with 7377 viewsloftboy

Heard 3 different women use that today. Ffs should be shot

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

"Can I get" on 18:00 - Jul 31 with 1113 viewsgordanoR

"Simples". Taken from that fking stupid Meerkat advert I believe. Is it ok to mock an Eastern European accent but not ok to mock an Indian one? I thought all that sh1t was out as being a bit racist these days.
"Can I get" on 18:16 - Jul 31 with 1092 viewsDiscodroid

"Can I get" on 17:52 - Jul 31 by facto

also what is it with posh bints who refer to fellow girls as 'guys'??...in chiswick last week n one ambled up to her mates in the bar with ...' hey you guys'??

this is a clear case of shit cu ntery most foul, and should be dealt by way of a mad frankie fraser dentistry session on the defendant with b&q value pliers toot sweet.

'guys'

arggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

"Can I get" on 19:12 - Jul 31 with 1062 viewsDoughnut

Have we had "get over it and move on". This Trisherism does my fcking box in!!!!!!
"Can I get" on 19:13 - Jul 31 with 1060 viewsfacto

"Can I get" on 18:16 - Jul 31 by Discodroid

this is a clear case of shit cu ntery most foul, and should be dealt by way of a mad frankie fraser dentistry session on the defendant with b&q value pliers toot sweet.

'guys'

arggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

disco i like the mentalist in you old bean!
"Can I get" (n/t) on 19:16 - Jul 31 with 1058 viewsstansleftfoot

"Can I get" on 19:20 - Jul 31 with 1054 viewsRickyDicky

feckin, feck me off.

schedule.....

TV/Radio presenters saying skedule !!!!!. It's feckin Shedule.

the "feckin" is not obligatory !

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

"Can I get" on 19:24 - Jul 31 with 1050 viewssmegma

"Can I get" on 13:36 - Jul 31 by DaBurgh

Come on guys, English is constantly evolving and changing, no big deal, for gawds sake 'think outside the box!'

Izzzzit.
"Can I get" on 19:31 - Jul 31 with 1046 viewsstansleftfoot

Affected misuse of the richest language used today that somehow the user feels establishes a feeling of equality! It actually establishes the fact that the user is totally insensitive to the aged process of manners. It's a huge insult to a skilled barista, chef, sommelier to suggest that you should "get"! Nope! You can't! Buy it! And show some respect for those people you buy stuff from! Get Polite you lazy,thoughtless, fashionista! Fxck Off! Get yourself! Or pay me and I'll "get" it! People who use this phrase label themselves as "Knobs" Please may I! Thank you! Universally accepted access to service or goods! Careless, Lazy, Insulting use of a great language!
Login to get fewer ads

"Can I get" on 19:37 - Jul 31 with 1040 viewsfacto

"Can I get" on 19:51 - Jul 31 with 1035 viewsenfieldargh

I had to attend a seminar a few years ago hosted by an American company. I lost count of the amount of times i had to read and listen to sentences with the word 'gotten' in it(not innit)

I deal with quite a few Asian folk who use the phrase isn,t it at the end of every sentence

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

"Can I get" on 20:17 - Jul 31 with 1012 viewsBrazilNutR

Still not 100% sure whats wrong with "Can I get"

"can i get you a drink?"
"can i get you something from the bar?"
"can I get you another beer?"

music to my ears in fact....
"Can I get" on 21:32 - Jul 31 with 971 viewsHooparoo

This one one is everywhere in Oz. Saying "invite" when they mean "invitation". Had enough recently when the MD's secretary misused it to all our clients regarding a function so I sent out an email to the whole office reminding them that "invite" is a verb.

Cue blank faces and whispers of pedant. Rather be a pedant than an ignoramus.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

"Can I get" on 21:45 - Jul 31 with 964 viewsMonahoop

"Can I get" on 14:35 - Jul 31 by danehoop

But your possibly erroneous assumption is that everyone on here is in England, when that doesnt seem to be so.

As for Kicks, well I'd direct you towards the Undertones "Teenage Kicks" released in 1978 to identify the expression as well based in British culture for over 35 years. One could also draw an assumption that the expression was in wider use before that time for it to be picked up then.

I am also taking an inference from your recent posts that it is the summer holidays for school children.

The term 'kicks' was indeed in use long before that merry band from Derry used it. Think 'Get Your Kicks on Route 66' by Nat King Cole or Chuck Berry in the 50's. The word also appears in many old blues and jazz numbers.

Some of the terms mentioned on this thread are indeed stupid. What really annoys me more is people trying to speak all 'urban', white people trying to sound like black people and worse still, all these inane modern terms for job descriptions or titles. Why is everyone a bloody consultant these days? Even bin men are waste consultants these days. Madness, utter madness.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

"Can I get" on 21:46 - Jul 31 with 963 viewsloftboy

"Can I get" on 20:17 - Jul 31 by BrazilNutR

Still not 100% sure whats wrong with "Can I get"

"can i get you a drink?"
"can i get you something from the bar?"
"can I get you another beer?"

music to my ears in fact....

That's someone offering to you, not using it to ask for something you aren't actually getting yourself

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

"Can I get" on 22:22 - Jul 31 with 937 viewsbillericaydicky

"Can I get" on 21:46 - Jul 31 by loftboy

That's someone offering to you, not using it to ask for something you aren't actually getting yourself

Agree entirely loftboy - 'Can I get' is awful.

Others I hate are the over-use and inappropriae use of the word 'like' as in 'I was like...'

Also 'literally' and 'absolutely'.

'Nothink' and 'loose' instead of lose.

Grrr
"Can I get" on 22:22 - Jul 31 with 937 viewsactonman

I might be on my own but people who pronounce other peoples names in the language where their from .

Terry henry .... "You mean Thierry onry " that's what I fcuking said TERRY HENRY !!
"Can I get" on 22:28 - Jul 31 with 931 viewsMatch82

"Can I get" on 22:22 - Jul 31 by billericaydicky

Agree entirely loftboy - 'Can I get' is awful.

Others I hate are the over-use and inappropriae use of the word 'like' as in 'I was like...'

Also 'literally' and 'absolutely'.

'Nothink' and 'loose' instead of lose.

Grrr

Literally is the one that annoys me.
It literally doesn't make me explode with rage.

I've been in the US a while now and unfortunately have started using some of these, including "can I get" which I know it's wrong, but I'm too lazy to have the argument or have to repeat myself every time.

I draw the line at the phrase "soccer" though...
"Can I get" on 22:33 - Jul 31 with 921 viewsHadders

I`m not one to drone on about this sort of thing,but one error that seems very common and irritates me is confusing "disinterested" and "uninterested", as the meanings are totally different. A referee or judge is meant to be disinterested (i.e neural,with no personal interest). Yet people use that word to mean bored, which is "uninterested".
"Can I get" on 22:37 - Jul 31 with 916 viewsScubaHoop

Clearly in a minority on this board but language evolves, moreover it evolves pretty quickly. If you read (or should that be 'if one reads') literature from previous centuries or watch pathe news reels from as recently as the 1930's no one speaks like that any more. When enough people start using a word or phrase for long enough it 'becomes' correct. My Mum always said 'ain't, ain't in the dictionary', erm yes it is.
"Can I get" on 22:37 - Jul 31 with 915 viewsted_hendrix

"Can I get" on 22:33 - Jul 31 by Hadders

I`m not one to drone on about this sort of thing,but one error that seems very common and irritates me is confusing "disinterested" and "uninterested", as the meanings are totally different. A referee or judge is meant to be disinterested (i.e neural,with no personal interest). Yet people use that word to mean bored, which is "uninterested".

"Can you lend me sixpence"?

"Yes but I'm not going to"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

(No subject) on 23:36 - Jul 31 with 890 viewsFredManRave

They say that we stole this
I rebel with a raised fist,
can we have a witness?

No. Sorry. Not ofing it.

[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 0:21]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

"Can I get" on 05:05 - Aug 1 with 859 viewsjonno

"Can I get" on 21:45 - Jul 31 by Monahoop

The term 'kicks' was indeed in use long before that merry band from Derry used it. Think 'Get Your Kicks on Route 66' by Nat King Cole or Chuck Berry in the 50's. The word also appears in many old blues and jazz numbers.

Some of the terms mentioned on this thread are indeed stupid. What really annoys me more is people trying to speak all 'urban', white people trying to sound like black people and worse still, all these inane modern terms for job descriptions or titles. Why is everyone a bloody consultant these days? Even bin men are waste consultants these days. Madness, utter madness.

Exactly. And the invention of new words or phrases for things when there is already a perfectly acceptable one available. "Issue" - it's a problem. "We need to talk around this issue" - We need to speak about this problem. Sickening. And WTF are "stakeholders"?
"Can I get" on 07:34 - Aug 1 with 827 viewsfacto

also this one.......,you got any 'spare' change mate???/.............wtf is 'spare' about it??
"Can I get" on 07:56 - Aug 1 with 816 viewsBushman

"Can I get" on 21:45 - Jul 31 by Monahoop

A consultant is someone who knows 500 woman but hasn't slept with any of them.

"At the top of the programme"

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

"Can I get" on 07:59 - Aug 1 with 812 viewsfacto

'yo'..discuss!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024