Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barton 14:39 - Aug 1 with 6928 viewssimmo

I wish someone would take his fckin phone off him. He's tweeting pictures of dead palestine children and throwing out hashtags calling god a c*nt.

Get on with your football you pseudo-intellectual helmet.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Barton on 16:41 - Aug 1 with 1471 viewsTacticalR

Religion is not the cause of the war, even if Israel is a theocratic state.

In the Algerian War the independence fighters were generally Muslim, and the French colonialists were generally Christian, but religion was not the cause of the war.

'The God is Dead' stuff is straight from the book of Nietzsche.

I don't think there is any problem with pointing out the absurdities of religion.

Air hostess clique

Barton on 16:42 - Aug 1 with 1465 viewssimmo

Even if you don't follow him, the stuff ends up in your timeline through re-tweets.

Anyway, my issue is with him doing it at all, me unfollowing him won't stop it from happening. He has a site/blog where he's free to air any views or opinions he wants, where only those interested in what he has to say will see them. But that doesnt get enough of an audience to satisfy his ego, so he's intentionally aggressive with his opinions on things he knows are inflammatory, throwing in quotes like he's the only cnt to read a book without pictures.

He thinks it makes him intelligent, like it means he's part of an open forum, when in reality he courts controversy and puts his mostly ill informed opinions across in a way that will upset even those of us that are impartial on the issues. He's already proved he can't engage in an intelligent debate with knowledgable individuals, summed up perfectly when he used an analogy more suited to a football dressing room than a question time panel. He was shown for what he is, someone that's not actually as smart as they like to think they are.

I love what he does on the pitch, what he does for the team when they cross the line and go into battle, but everything off it is cringeworthy and exacerbates the negative perception of QPR.

Barton on 16:43 - Aug 1 with 1465 viewsR_from_afar

Barton on 15:28 - Aug 1 by HollowayRanger

its not god that kills

its man

if bartons bringing the club into dispute then the club should grow some and sort him out

"its not god that kills

its man". Spot on Holloway.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Barton on 16:47 - Aug 1 with 1447 viewsmakaveli1882

Has anyone got a link or picture of the tweet where he called God a Caant? because I cant see it anywhere

Cant knock him for his charity work
Barton on 16:50 - Aug 1 with 1442 viewssimmo

Barton on 16:47 - Aug 1 by makaveli1882

Has anyone got a link or picture of the tweet where he called God a Caant? because I cant see it anywhere

Cant knock him for his charity work

It was along the lines of 'if god can do something about evil but chooses not to, he's obviously a c*nt', or words to that effect. I can't get on twitter at work to find it.

Barton on 16:51 - Aug 1 with 1438 viewsMrSheen

Barton on 16:41 - Aug 1 by TacticalR

Religion is not the cause of the war, even if Israel is a theocratic state.

In the Algerian War the independence fighters were generally Muslim, and the French colonialists were generally Christian, but religion was not the cause of the war.

'The God is Dead' stuff is straight from the book of Nietzsche.

I don't think there is any problem with pointing out the absurdities of religion.

Plenty of Muslims fought on the losing side of the Algerian War of Independence too. Neither side appreciated their efforts, to put it mildly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harki
Barton on 16:51 - Aug 1 with 1437 viewsPhildo

Barton on 16:42 - Aug 1 by simmo

Even if you don't follow him, the stuff ends up in your timeline through re-tweets.

Anyway, my issue is with him doing it at all, me unfollowing him won't stop it from happening. He has a site/blog where he's free to air any views or opinions he wants, where only those interested in what he has to say will see them. But that doesnt get enough of an audience to satisfy his ego, so he's intentionally aggressive with his opinions on things he knows are inflammatory, throwing in quotes like he's the only cnt to read a book without pictures.

He thinks it makes him intelligent, like it means he's part of an open forum, when in reality he courts controversy and puts his mostly ill informed opinions across in a way that will upset even those of us that are impartial on the issues. He's already proved he can't engage in an intelligent debate with knowledgable individuals, summed up perfectly when he used an analogy more suited to a football dressing room than a question time panel. He was shown for what he is, someone that's not actually as smart as they like to think they are.

I love what he does on the pitch, what he does for the team when they cross the line and go into battle, but everything off it is cringeworthy and exacerbates the negative perception of QPR.

totally compulsive personality. Must have w@nked himself dry when a teenager
Barton on 17:01 - Aug 1 with 1417 viewsCanadaRanger

There is a term, "useful idiot"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot
Login to get fewer ads

Barton on 17:10 - Aug 1 with 1397 viewssimmo

Barton on 16:51 - Aug 1 by Phildo

totally compulsive personality. Must have w@nked himself dry when a teenager

Didn't we all?

Barton on 17:16 - Aug 1 with 1379 viewstimcocking

Barton on 16:42 - Aug 1 by simmo

Spot on Simmo.

You've turned into my favourite Loftforwords poster, and that's up against some pretty stiff opposition.
Barton on 17:44 - Aug 1 with 1322 viewssmegma

Barton on 16:34 - Aug 1 by Cornish_oooRRRR

You don't know that he hasn't

He can't do ANYTHING without telling the world. Or those divs that 'follow' him on tw@tter.
Barton on 18:45 - Aug 1 with 1283 viewsBrazilNutR

Biggest worry for me is that half of the other players in the team are most likely very religous...so probably not that great for team spirit..

And by the looks of things he was using the c word for god linked to a conditional if clause... so therefore he is not directly calling him a c***...so can;t really argue with what he says..
Barton on 19:03 - Aug 1 with 1259 viewsLythamR

Barton on 18:45 - Aug 1 by BrazilNutR

Biggest worry for me is that half of the other players in the team are most likely very religous...so probably not that great for team spirit..

And by the looks of things he was using the c word for god linked to a conditional if clause... so therefore he is not directly calling him a c***...so can;t really argue with what he says..

I dont think Barton should be pushing it as hard as he is but I do pretty much agree with what he is saying

he is simply pointing out the flaw in religious belief God it good etc regardless of the religion and god is all seeing and omnipotent, therefore if he/she did exist and allows such suffering to happen then god must be a right c*nt

I thinks its pretty difficult to disagree with that from any rational viewpoint
Barton on 19:06 - Aug 1 with 1253 viewsCiderwithRsie

Barton on 15:10 - Aug 1 by daveB

If you believe in god then you believe in free will I think (been a long time since i went to church so thats probabky nonsence) so the people who killed these kids are to blame not any god

Nope.

Look up Pre-Destination. Basic Christian doctrine since 431 AD.
Barton on 20:10 - Aug 1 with 1224 viewsjamois

Apart from logical cogency, there is to me something a little odd about the ethical valuations of those who think an omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent Deity, after preparing the ground by many millions of years of lifeless nebulae, would consider Himself adequately rewarded by the final emergence of Hitler and Stalin and the H bomb. - Bertrand Russell

He no doubt would have added the Israeli state, Islam, middle eastern war and all other forms of religious fundamentalism to this devastating observation.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Barton on 20:22 - Aug 1 with 1203 viewsHadders

Barton on 20:24 - Aug 1 with 1197 viewsJigsore

Barton on 17:44 - Aug 1 by smegma

He can't do ANYTHING without telling the world. Or those divs that 'follow' him on tw@tter.

Moan moan moan

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Barton on 20:32 - Aug 1 with 1183 viewsAlbRanger

Nope. Pre-destination is not a 'basic' Christian doctrine. It does, I believe, form a part of Calvinist doctrine but is certainly not a standard part of mainstream Christianity.

It is, however, a theological discussion that often comes up.

Free will is a basic Christian doctrine.

Edit: sorry, meant to reply to specific post and hit the wrong button.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2014 20:37]
Barton on 20:58 - Aug 1 with 1158 viewsPommyhoop

Didnt that other loveable scouse wag John Lennon have a pop at God or Jesus or something?
Good on ya Joey Laa!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Barton on 21:15 - Aug 1 with 1134 viewsBklynRanger

Alb is correct. Predestination is a Presbyterian thing.

Of course then you have your Free Presbyterians - I assume they are also predestined.

Whereas your Baptists are not predestined - they write their own fcuking rules. Joey may be a lapsed Baptist.
Barton on 21:36 - Aug 1 with 1116 viewsTrom

Barton on 15:24 - Aug 1 by Hayesender

The bible=proof God exists

The Quran=proof Allah exists

Mr men books=proof Mr tickle exists

The Jews, Muslims and Chrustians all beleive in the same god. Personally my view is if you are going to believe in something just because someone tells you it's true without any actual proof, where do you draw the line in the sand.
Barton on 21:59 - Aug 1 with 1101 viewsMarc

Barton on 18:45 - Aug 1 by BrazilNutR

"Biggest worry for me is that half of the other players in the team are most likely very religous"

What makes you say that?
Barton on 22:53 - Aug 1 with 1067 viewsAlbRanger

Barton on 21:36 - Aug 1 by Trom

The Jews, Muslims and Chrustians all beleive in the same god. Personally my view is if you are going to believe in something just because someone tells you it's true without any actual proof, where do you draw the line in the sand.

News to me.

Every Christian I know would say the Christian God is very different from the Muslim one.

Also, I know of no Christian that says the Bible is proof of God.

Look, I generally stay of the 'Releigion/God' threads because it's just not worth the hassle but there is so much crap being spouted that I just felt the need to point a couple out.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people can be 'experts' in something they don't believe in.

Anyway, it's getting off topic and I don't want to get into a pointless discussion on it so I'll leave it there.

Carry on.
Barton on 22:55 - Aug 1 with 1066 viewsAlbRanger

Barton on 21:15 - Aug 1 by BklynRanger

Of course then you have your Free Presbyterians - I assume they are also predestined.

Whereas your Baptists are not predestined - they write their own fcuking rules. Joey may be a lapsed Baptist.

Too true on the Baptists mate - much to my daily angst :-)
Barton on 22:56 - Aug 1 with 1061 viewsCiderwithRsie

Barton on 21:15 - Aug 1 by BklynRanger

Nope.

St Augustine. Accepted as catholic doctrine at council of Ephesus, 431 AD as per my post. No presbyterians back then. I'm ploughing through Peter Brown's biog of Augustine right now, alongside of Augustine's "Confessions", which are brilliant but bloody hard going.

Presbyterians have an extreme form of the doctrine, derived from Calvin, but its right there in catholicism.

It's actually a logical consequence of any of the monotheistic religions, whether or not it's in the official line, which is exactly why Augustine, who was a very sound logician, put forward the doctrine. God is both omniscient and omnipotent, according to all Christians, Jews and Muslims. He is also not constrained by time. Therefore He must know everything that is going to happen - you can't have an omniscient God who didn't know the Israelis would bomb Gaza - and be capable of stopping it, otherwise He's not omnipotent. Logically, the only explanation is that every baby shredded by a bomb is all part of God's wonderful plan. Presumably they get to heaven so that's all right. Bit of a problem for the shredder who may well go to hell.

It's all perfectly logical if you accept the basic premise, which all the monotheistic religions do. Personally I don't believe in God but it seems logical to me that if he does exist He's either not omnipotent, not omniscient, or is a bit of a bastard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024