Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? 22:19 - Aug 14 with 16838 viewsloftboy

At the start of June I went for my annual blood pressure check at the Drs, he weighed me where to my horror at weight had gone up to exactly 150kilos ( nearly 24 stone) when I got married in 1991 I I was 96kilos (151/2 stone) anyway after some more blood tests he told me I was on the verge of diabetes , osteoporosis and would probably be dead within 10 years ( I'm only 47).
Thinking of the kids more than anything I immediately changed my diet and a couple of weeks later rejoined my local gym, I do what is known as the milon circuit 3 times a week and swim 32 lengths of the 25m pool twice a week, went back to the Drs yesterday for a follow up and now weigh 131 kilos, a 19 kilo loss which is exactly 3 stone, still got another 40 odd to go but already I can buy clothes from normal shops instead of the Fatman dept. I only wish I had had the kick up the arse years ago.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 07:51 - Aug 15 with 2331 viewsWokingR

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 07:44 - Aug 15 by traininvain

I don't think this is good advice. Much better off having a balanced diet that you can stick to along with a good bit of regular exercise as opposed to using some kind of quick fix (e.g. fasting, juice diets etc) to lose the weight but then piling back on the pounds when the novelty wares off.

I see plenty of people at work starving themselves to shed a few pounds with some fad diet only to put on more weight after they've finished dieting.

Couldn't agree more
Headaches and dizziness are not the feeling you get when toxins leave the body. It is your body telling you your blood sugar levels are too low and to eat something.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 08:29 - Aug 15 with 2306 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Well done.

24 stone?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 08:32 - Aug 15 with 2302 viewsloftboy

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 08:29 - Aug 15 by Metallica_Hoop

Well done.

24 stone?

Thanks everyone, yep 24 stone, it's only now I've cut it out that I realised how many cakes/chocolates etc I ate.

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 08:53 - Aug 15 with 2278 viewsMytch_QPR

Good stuff, Loftboy.
I'm 45. This year I started running again (after a 10 year absence) and managed the Fleet Half Marathon in a quicker time than in 2003 (in my Rs shirt too). I'm doing the Farnham Half Marathon on 21 Sept.
It was a bit of a killer to start with - I've had gout and I was a bit overweight, but I kept going and now run around 20 miles a week (3 sessions). Squeezing into 34" trousers (just), rather than 36". I still love a beer, but try to moderate it and have the odd binge on a weekend, but never when I have work the next day.
I'm sure you feel better for it - physically and mentally - I know I do.

So, in terms of blowing your trumpet - get going...

Toot toot!!!

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 08:54 - Aug 15 with 2277 viewsTGRRRSSS

Bloody well done mate, keep going, grazing helps with gub so they say. For pre match I'd suggesttry to make sure you eat not too long before you leave, try and take something like dried fruit as a snack.
I am not especially tall but bread is a bugger and atm not doing nearly enough exercise as I would like, well done on the swimming, have you thought about some sort of charity challenge on the swimming? Might be an idea and something to focus on for a bit.
Every little helps as Tesco say.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:01 - Aug 15 with 2267 viewsKonk

Well done, mate; that’s a great effort. Keep at it.

In terms of chocolate/cakes etc, sugar is an absolute bas tard. We have free chocolate and crisps at work and as the fridge is about ten feet from my desk, it’s a piece of pis s to go absolutely mental on the stuff. The only way I could stop eating it was to email my colleagues telling them that for every chocolate bar or pack of crisps I had, I’d bung them each a tenner. Consequently, I haven’t touched anything for about 18 months now and out of work probably eat 10 of each per year, absolute maximum. It’s addictive and once I’d gone through a few weeks of cravings, it didn’t bother me at all now — I watch colleagues filling their faces with the stuff and I have no wish for it at all.

If anyone’s looking at losing weight, I’d really recommend cycling — my commute’s only six miles each way, and with cutting out the chocolate and crisps, I lost about two stone inside the first year, and that’s without drastically cutting down on the beer or making too much change to my regular meals.

I could never see myself joining a gym, but with the cycling I get to work/home much quicker than on public transport, it’s cheaper than using the bus/tube, I’ve done quite a few 40-60 mile rides at the weekend with mates which are a great way of seeing a bit of the countryside, and I feel so much better and sharper for the regular exercise.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:21 - Aug 15 with 2241 viewsIrish_Hoop

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:01 - Aug 15 by Konk

Well done, mate; that’s a great effort. Keep at it.

In terms of chocolate/cakes etc, sugar is an absolute bas tard. We have free chocolate and crisps at work and as the fridge is about ten feet from my desk, it’s a piece of pis s to go absolutely mental on the stuff. The only way I could stop eating it was to email my colleagues telling them that for every chocolate bar or pack of crisps I had, I’d bung them each a tenner. Consequently, I haven’t touched anything for about 18 months now and out of work probably eat 10 of each per year, absolute maximum. It’s addictive and once I’d gone through a few weeks of cravings, it didn’t bother me at all now — I watch colleagues filling their faces with the stuff and I have no wish for it at all.

If anyone’s looking at losing weight, I’d really recommend cycling — my commute’s only six miles each way, and with cutting out the chocolate and crisps, I lost about two stone inside the first year, and that’s without drastically cutting down on the beer or making too much change to my regular meals.

I could never see myself joining a gym, but with the cycling I get to work/home much quicker than on public transport, it’s cheaper than using the bus/tube, I’ve done quite a few 40-60 mile rides at the weekend with mates which are a great way of seeing a bit of the countryside, and I feel so much better and sharper for the regular exercise.

What a great thread.

As someone who had the same experience as loftboy at the GP last year, and having gone from over 23 stone to 16 stone, I can say that the improvement in quality of life that it brings is quite addictive, it keeps me going. I still want to lose another couple of stone, and wish I'd done it years ago.

Well done to all my fellow travellers on this journey.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 9:58]
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:33 - Aug 15 with 2227 viewsWokingR

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:21 - Aug 15 by Irish_Hoop

What a great thread.

As someone who had the same experience as loftboy at the GP last year, and having gone from over 23 stone to 16 stone, I can say that the improvement in quality of life that it brings is quite addictive, it keeps me going. I still want to lose another couple of stone, and wish I'd done it years ago.

Well done to all my fellow travellers on this journey.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 9:58]

Except that when Konk says he cycles to work each day what he actually means is that he makes his butler do it for him.
Login to get fewer ads

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:37 - Aug 15 with 2220 viewsMytch_QPR

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:33 - Aug 15 by WokingR

Except that when Konk says he cycles to work each day what he actually means is that he makes his butler do it for him.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:39 - Aug 15 with 2218 viewswestberksr

great stuff LB, i'm eternally battling the chocolate addiction and get a bit lapse as i'm 6'5" so carry a bit extra quite easily.

my brother has just turned 40, had a gastric bypass at 38 and is still a lump pushing late 20's in the stonage, but just refuses to take heed of any of the advice. sad to think that i'll likely be attending his 'going away party' way before it's due and he has 2 kids to think of as well.

always great to see that someone can address the issue and take positive steps. i'm playing in my first 11 vs 11 match tomorrow morning for mearly 2 years (since hernia op) so i expect i'll be fukked by the time i take my seat at 2.50pm for the kick off. have been going swimming but it's 20 minutes drive each way and the past couple of weeks i just couldn't be arsed; tomorrow might get me thinking anbout going next week.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:49 - Aug 15 with 2210 viewsKonk

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 09:33 - Aug 15 by WokingR

Me letting the boy stop for a breather just off City Road

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 10:08 - Aug 15 with 2193 viewsAunt_Nelly

Well done Loftboy. Keep up the good work mate.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 11:19 - Aug 15 with 2165 viewsessextaxiboy

I have been on the 5 2 diet since June 29 and have lost 1st 4 lb . I do 600 cal Mon & Wed and 2000 cal for the other 5 . I have had beer , meals out and the odd take away and just kept losing weight . When I had to buy 36 waist trousers did it
Well done Loftboy
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 14:04]
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 11:54 - Aug 15 with 2149 viewsTrom

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 07:44 - Aug 15 by traininvain

I don't think this is good advice. Much better off having a balanced diet that you can stick to along with a good bit of regular exercise as opposed to using some kind of quick fix (e.g. fasting, juice diets etc) to lose the weight but then piling back on the pounds when the novelty wares off.

I see plenty of people at work starving themselves to shed a few pounds with some fad diet only to put on more weight after they've finished dieting.

Well the academic evidence is starting to build up for fasting.

It's based on the idea that as an animal the human body is developed to feast and fast. It's only in recent times that we've had access to food at anytime.

Fasting is meant to put the body in to a healing mode and have large health benefits. A plus from this is you also loose weight.

I've found it easy to stick to as you are only fasting for one or two days a week. So you only have 24hrs before you can eat normally. My wife was worried about low sugar levels but apparently this is largely untrue and in fact she's been fine on it.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 12:04 - Aug 15 with 2134 viewsRangersw12

I walk to work which is 1.5 mile each way

In respect of food me and the missus have download an app called myfitness first and just watch watch what we eat and calorie count

I have lost over a stone in 5 weeks
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 12:12 - Aug 15 with 2016 viewshoof_hearted

If you lose enough weight you may well be able to blow your own trumpet.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 12:18 - Aug 15 with 2007 viewsLewes_r

Well done keep it up..

Im a distance runner so only weigh 9.5 stone (5ft7) and whilst i would say excercise is key,
my biggest (least painful) tip would be to watch the booze or knock it on the head and try not to eat processed food (home cooked with lots of veg) forget fasting or starving yourself or calorie counting as you will mess up your metabolism and is unsustainable

eat plenty of the right stuff fruit veg simple stuff you actually cook youself (real food not manufactured) and make it PERMANENT, dont starve yerself and get out there a walk or whatever floats your boat as long as its moving about.. the rest will take care of itself
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 12:26]

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 13:22 - Aug 15 with 1970 viewsYorkRanger

Carbs and beer are the killers. I lost half a stone in about 5 weeks earlier this year just by cutting out bread and only drinking at the weekend.
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 14:04 - Aug 15 with 1951 viewsR_from_afar

Well done LoftBoy, nice one.

I used to eat crisps and chocolate every day, from Monday to Friday, and stopping that cut my weight by a stone very quickly, I reckon.

I generally eat healthily duirng the week but allow myself an anything goes meal out at weekends. It's tough to totally give up stuff you really like. When I go to watch Rangers, roughly 8-12 times a season, I treat myself to a chocolate bar. It's some consolation when things turn sour on the pitch... When I'm at work, I always have healthy stuff to hand - fruit, low fat yogs, crackers.

I still play football every week although I am 49 but the football gives me the motivation to keep fit. I have a set of rollers for my racing bike which I set up in a spare room at home. No need to gather up gym kit, no travelling to gyms, no distractions. Within 30 minutes, I have set the kit up, done 5-6 miles of constant pedalling (using a stepped programme, including short sprints) then packed it away again. Doing that twice a week has kept me very fit to the extent that I can still play 90 minutes of football without blowing a gasket, I sleep very well, rarely feel tired and am usually pretty alert.

The real test will be if I get a serious injury and have to give up the footer. I will no longer have my major motivation for staying fit. That could be tough.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 15:11 - Aug 15 with 1923 viewsbobby

Fasting is hardly a new fad and has been practiced as an ancient healing benefit for thousands of years .
All animals fast when they are sick. Humans are the only ones to go against this wisdom.
It need not be a regimented or harsh practice-just skip a meal every now and again and allow the body to start the process of excreting some of the toxins and dead cells without being permanently overloaded.
Maybe not suitable for type 1 Diabetes but blood pressure always drops during even a short fast. And Type 2 Diabetics should cut back on all refined yeast and carbohydrates.
Anyone who wants to get further info check out the writings of Arnold Ehret.
Congrats to everybody who has reduced their weight and, as others have said it has to be a permanent shift and eating home cooked food rather than grub stuffed with additives is common sense.
Sorry to preach :-
mind you 3 points tomorrow and I will be celebrating with a Ruby and several pints..

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 19:18 - Sep 18 with 1805 viewsloftboy

Sorry to bump this but I have just had my weekly weigh in and have now lost 4 stone exactly, feeling pretty chuffed right now.

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 19:35 - Sep 18 with 1785 viewshopphoops

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 19:18 - Sep 18 by loftboy

Sorry to bump this but I have just had my weekly weigh in and have now lost 4 stone exactly, feeling pretty chuffed right now.

good on you mate! chuffed for you. I've been running to manage work stress and generally get in better shape, i know how much work you must have put in.

keep at it and report back in a month?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 19:49 - Sep 18 with 1754 viewsWokingR

Bloody Hell!
That's the same as my daughter
Well done mate
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 20:01 - Sep 18 with 1746 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Well done and keep going! If you haven't already, try cutting dairy and gluten from your diet. You can get some great breads and pastas which are gluten free and substitutes for milk are plentiful (though personally I use almond milk).

In the last 2 years I've been diagnosed as having coeliac disease and a few other digestive issues, so no dairy, gluten, alcohol and limited amounts of sugar for me. That and getting to the gym has seen me lose loads of weight. I do miss things now and then but to feel the way I do now vs the way I did before I had to change my diet it's a no brainer!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 20:03]
Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 20:05 - Sep 18 with 1738 viewsloftboy

Can I blow my own trumpet on here? on 20:01 - Sep 18 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Well done and keep going! If you haven't already, try cutting dairy and gluten from your diet. You can get some great breads and pastas which are gluten free and substitutes for milk are plentiful (though personally I use almond milk).

In the last 2 years I've been diagnosed as having coeliac disease and a few other digestive issues, so no dairy, gluten, alcohol and limited amounts of sugar for me. That and getting to the gym has seen me lose loads of weight. I do miss things now and then but to feel the way I do now vs the way I did before I had to change my diet it's a no brainer!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 20:03]

I have Ryvitas instead of bread most days,canderel instead of sugar and no chocolate, diet Greek yoghurt for pudding. 4 more stone to go according to my Dr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024