Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
loving the fulham struggles 13:34 - Aug 17 with 43956 viewsthemodfather

many said, when they come down, it's down all the way, fans will fall away and then the real cash worries begin.
so 2 games in, 0 pts and yesterdays game v millwall was 5-6000 under capacity, millwall likely had a few 1000 there and are joint top.
as hannibal smith says in the A TEAM, " i love it when a plan comes together"!
loving the fulham struggles on 16:03 - Sep 26 with 1899 viewsTacticalR

The Germans didn't like his 'German ways'...

Bundesliga unites in its distaste for Felix Magath's acts of unkindness
The under-fire Wolfsburg manager has managed seven German clubs and left behind him a trail of ill-feeling
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/oct/08/bundesliga-felix-magath-wol

Air hostess clique

loving the fulham struggles on 16:11 - Sep 26 with 1872 viewsKonk

loving the fulham struggles on 16:03 - Sep 26 by TacticalR

The Germans didn't like his 'German ways'...

Bundesliga unites in its distaste for Felix Magath's acts of unkindness
The under-fire Wolfsburg manager has managed seven German clubs and left behind him a trail of ill-feeling
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/oct/08/bundesliga-felix-magath-wol

I have a German lad sat behind me at work (Hansa Rostock) and I think he's always felt a bit sorry for me being Fulham in an office full of CL fans who never go and watch their clubs, but still take the pis s out of Fulham. Anyhow, he took me for a beer to commiserate when Magath got the job and warned me that he'd make about five changes every week, would fall out with all the players, would sign loads of shi t players, and leave behind a broken, demoralised club...Nostradamus or what? It seems that our background checks were so thorough that we didn't realise that everyone in Germany already knew that the bloke's an absolute fruitloop.

The good news is that Felix isn’t going anywhere just yet — he’s convinced he can do a good job in England. He possibly can, but not as a football manager.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

loving the fulham struggles on 15:31 - Apr 27 with 1616 viewsKonk

Well, what a magic season it’s been for the Whites. I think the 2nd Division/Championship is a great division, but fu ck me, it would have been a lot more fun if we hadn’t been absolute dog sh it for most of the year.

I’m pretty certain we’ve spent the whole season in the bottom half, we had one point after eight games, and have conceded 79 goals with one game remaining. It’s been mega.

Anyhow, seeing as there were a few posters who predicted our crowds dropping away dramatically , they were actually bang on where I thought they’d be. I predicted 15-16,000 home fans on average if we had a decent season — we were generally bobbins and struggling, but our average was actually 18,276. I read somewhere that the average away attendance was 2,799, giving us an average of 15,477 home fans at the Cottage.

The average was impacted by 11 of the 23 games being Wednesday/Friday evening games, where our home support is always lower, and amongst those were Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford, Charlton, Leeds, Forest and Wolves; all of whom could have been expected to bring significantly more for a Saturday game. Saturday average: 19,630, Midweek average: 16,799. Highest crowd: 23,271 for the Brentford tonking. Lowest crowd: 14,325 on Bonfire Night to watch us force a draw against poor old Blackpool.

Not sure what will happen next year on the crowd front — we’ve been pretty dreadful in the main for the past 2.5 seasons, and there’s nothing to suggest that things are about to change for the better. I’m grateful for Symons taking over and keeping us up when we were on 1 point after 8 games, but most feel the need for a change, and once again, we find ourselves also needing to replace 2/3rds of the first team in the summer. Nothing that Khan has overseen to date gives me much confidence that we’ll be challenging for promotion next season.

Without some encouraging signs over the summer, I can see the support dipping next season because people are disillusioned with the ownership and management of the club. We should definitely look at walk up prices — I think it was £30+ to watch us midweek v Blackpool or Rotherham this year, and I can’t see too many non-season-ticket holders being tempted by that. Season-tickets do give a very good discount, but with 7,000 empty seats to choose from, loads of midweek games etc, I wouldn’t be surprised if we sell less season tickets this time round.

Not seen anything official, but believe our away support averaged around 1,100 mark (Norwich still to come, but they have only given us 1,300 tickets for Saturday, so that boosts the average slightly).

Oh, and I haven’t seen a single pair of red trousers at the Cottage all season — although there was a bloke in a tweed suit at Wigan away, who was very Downton Abbey.

loving the fulham struggles on 15:39 - Apr 27 with 1593 viewsMytch_QPR

loving the fulham struggles on 15:31 - Apr 27 by Konk

Well, what a magic season it’s been for the Whites. I think the 2nd Division/Championship is a great division, but fu ck me, it would have been a lot more fun if we hadn’t been absolute dog sh it for most of the year.

I’m pretty certain we’ve spent the whole season in the bottom half, we had one point after eight games, and have conceded 79 goals with one game remaining. It’s been mega.

Anyhow, seeing as there were a few posters who predicted our crowds dropping away dramatically , they were actually bang on where I thought they’d be. I predicted 15-16,000 home fans on average if we had a decent season — we were generally bobbins and struggling, but our average was actually 18,276. I read somewhere that the average away attendance was 2,799, giving us an average of 15,477 home fans at the Cottage.

The average was impacted by 11 of the 23 games being Wednesday/Friday evening games, where our home support is always lower, and amongst those were Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford, Charlton, Leeds, Forest and Wolves; all of whom could have been expected to bring significantly more for a Saturday game. Saturday average: 19,630, Midweek average: 16,799. Highest crowd: 23,271 for the Brentford tonking. Lowest crowd: 14,325 on Bonfire Night to watch us force a draw against poor old Blackpool.

Not sure what will happen next year on the crowd front — we’ve been pretty dreadful in the main for the past 2.5 seasons, and there’s nothing to suggest that things are about to change for the better. I’m grateful for Symons taking over and keeping us up when we were on 1 point after 8 games, but most feel the need for a change, and once again, we find ourselves also needing to replace 2/3rds of the first team in the summer. Nothing that Khan has overseen to date gives me much confidence that we’ll be challenging for promotion next season.

Without some encouraging signs over the summer, I can see the support dipping next season because people are disillusioned with the ownership and management of the club. We should definitely look at walk up prices — I think it was £30+ to watch us midweek v Blackpool or Rotherham this year, and I can’t see too many non-season-ticket holders being tempted by that. Season-tickets do give a very good discount, but with 7,000 empty seats to choose from, loads of midweek games etc, I wouldn’t be surprised if we sell less season tickets this time round.

Not seen anything official, but believe our away support averaged around 1,100 mark (Norwich still to come, but they have only given us 1,300 tickets for Saturday, so that boosts the average slightly).

Oh, and I haven’t seen a single pair of red trousers at the Cottage all season — although there was a bloke in a tweed suit at Wigan away, who was very Downton Abbey.

Your game on Saturday against Boro sounded mad - I guess at least you could enjoy it as the 3 points weren't vital for you! - it would have been a nerve-jangler if it was the last game and a sh*t or bust job.

There's certainly plenty of excitement in The Championship - and on the whole it's pretty unpredictable. Looks likely that we can look forward to a West London derby with you next season.

As for the crowds, who cares?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

loving the fulham struggles on 15:47 - Apr 27 with 1575 viewsKonk

loving the fulham struggles on 15:39 - Apr 27 by Mytch_QPR

Your game on Saturday against Boro sounded mad - I guess at least you could enjoy it as the 3 points weren't vital for you! - it would have been a nerve-jangler if it was the last game and a sh*t or bust job.

There's certainly plenty of excitement in The Championship - and on the whole it's pretty unpredictable. Looks likely that we can look forward to a West London derby with you next season.

As for the crowds, who cares?

Hello Mytch,

Yep, I’m not sure Boro enjoyed it that much after coming back from 3-1 down with ten men and then seeing us get the winner with 4 minutes of stoppage time played, but it was good entertainment.

I haven’t seen too many good sides, but it’s refreshing being in a genuinely exciting, interesting league and there are plenty of decent sized clubs and good away days. Interesting that quite a few clubs brought more to our place last season than they used to in the PL.

loving the fulham struggles on 15:51 - Apr 27 with 1557 viewsRangersw12

loving the fulham struggles on 15:31 - Apr 27 by Konk

Fair play Konk

Championship is a decent league if doing well but a slog if you're struggling ( like we will next season)

Still looking forward to next season though as there are some cracking away days
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 15:53]
loving the fulham struggles on 16:01 - Apr 27 with 1533 viewsKonk

loving the fulham struggles on 15:51 - Apr 27 by Rangersw12

Fair play Konk

Championship is a decent league if doing well but a slog if you're struggling ( like we will next season)

Still looking forward to next season though as there are some cracking away days
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 15:53]

I’d forgotten what it was like to have that many midweekers, which are great when you’re winning, but a pain in the ars e if you don’t live locally and you’re playing sh it and losing most weeks. Could do without that, but I’ve enjoyed being away from the big club boll ocks that goes with making up the numbers in the PL. I’ve watched about 10 mins of live PL football this season, seen MOTD twice and even stopped reading most PL match reports in the press. Not missed it at all.

loving the fulham struggles on 16:22 - Apr 27 with 1494 viewsJuzzie

If we go down I'm actually glad in a way as due to various reasons (mainly due to Juzzie Jnr) it looks like I won't be able to make weekend games for a while.
So, more midweek games would be a godsend. I go to watch QPR, not the opposition, so whilst I do want us to be playing at the highest level possible, if it's to be in the Championship then fine by me.

And yes, as for crowds, I really don't care anymore. The willy-waving is getting tiresome. With the cost of football (inc. travelling) these days I think it's a miracle anyone goes and those that do should be applauded. People who use it as an opportunity to try and score cheap points over other clubs need to get a life IMO.
Login to get fewer ads

loving the fulham struggles on 16:32 - Apr 27 with 1477 viewsthemodfather

this thread latest the season!! i am well chuffed and am deeply gutted fulham made a slight comeback and are safe
i still note the lower gates, the AWAY END IS ALL AWAY FANS NOW, no sodding "neutrals" now and the dire away support.
our shadow is large and is cast over all of west london and the surrounds, small areas on the fulham road and kings road!!!
brentford naused it too, again.
i can't wait to see the jacko statue again lol
loving the fulham struggles on 16:46 - Apr 27 with 1456 viewsKonk

loving the fulham struggles on 16:32 - Apr 27 by themodfather

this thread latest the season!! i am well chuffed and am deeply gutted fulham made a slight comeback and are safe
i still note the lower gates, the AWAY END IS ALL AWAY FANS NOW, no sodding "neutrals" now and the dire away support.
our shadow is large and is cast over all of west london and the surrounds, small areas on the fulham road and kings road!!!

For the umpteenth time, the “Neutral” section allows us to sell tickets on General sale right up until kick-off if the away section has sold-out. Otherwise we’d have to make them previous-booking-history only. We’ve turned the whole end over to Brentford (cup final) and Boro (promotion chasing), but otherwise there have been Fulham in blocks P1 and P2 i.e. it’s been mixed home and away when the away allocation has sold-out.

Of course our gates are lower than before — since I’ve been posting on here, I’ve said we have about 15-1600 “proper” regulars and that’s what the average indicates this season. We’ve lost all the PL neutrals, day-trippers and red trouser chaps, and we’re down to proper Fulham. You were predicting our gates would be terrible, when they haven’t been. As for our dire away support; you were in the top two for a massive chunk of last season and finished fourth, whilst averaging…a whopping 1,287, so it’s a bit daft you coating our away support this season; it’s been pretty average, but hardly appalling.

loving the fulham struggles on 16:51 - Apr 27 with 1412 viewskropotkin41

loving the fulham struggles on 16:46 - Apr 27 by Konk

For the umpteenth time, the “Neutral” section allows us to sell tickets on General sale right up until kick-off if the away section has sold-out. Otherwise we’d have to make them previous-booking-history only. We’ve turned the whole end over to Brentford (cup final) and Boro (promotion chasing), but otherwise there have been Fulham in blocks P1 and P2 i.e. it’s been mixed home and away when the away allocation has sold-out.

Of course our gates are lower than before — since I’ve been posting on here, I’ve said we have about 15-1600 “proper” regulars and that’s what the average indicates this season. We’ve lost all the PL neutrals, day-trippers and red trouser chaps, and we’re down to proper Fulham. You were predicting our gates would be terrible, when they haven’t been. As for our dire away support; you were in the top two for a massive chunk of last season and finished fourth, whilst averaging…a whopping 1,287, so it’s a bit daft you coating our away support this season; it’s been pretty average, but hardly appalling.

It's been a long hard season down by the river - that's the most defensive , one might even say annoyed post I've ever read from our resident (captive) Fulham fan.

Never mind Konk, Old Chap, you'll be sure of at least 6 points next season because we'll be slumming it with you lot. Do me a favour though, if you make back to the Premiership before we do (if ever), find somewhere else to lurk............ a CFC board perhaps........... or Brentford.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

loving the fulham struggles on 16:55 - Apr 27 with 1397 viewsKonk

loving the fulham struggles on 16:51 - Apr 27 by kropotkin41

It's been a long hard season down by the river - that's the most defensive , one might even say annoyed post I've ever read from our resident (captive) Fulham fan.

Never mind Konk, Old Chap, you'll be sure of at least 6 points next season because we'll be slumming it with you lot. Do me a favour though, if you make back to the Premiership before we do (if ever), find somewhere else to lurk............ a CFC board perhaps........... or Brentford.

Let's put it down to sleep deprivation and tedium. And note I didn't compare gates in my earlier posts today - it was only under provocation!

loving the fulham struggles on 16:55 - Apr 27 with 1395 viewsMytch_QPR

loving the fulham struggles on 16:32 - Apr 27 by themodfather

This reminds me a little of Victor Borges remarking on the Falklands conflict - "Two bald men fighting over a comb".

Edit: I'm not suggesting that either of you are challenged in the follicles department - I'm sure you have lustrous barnets.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 17:06]

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

loving the fulham struggles on 17:18 - Apr 27 with 1344 viewslondonscottish

loving the fulham struggles on 16:01 - Apr 27 by Konk

I’d forgotten what it was like to have that many midweekers, which are great when you’re winning, but a pain in the ars e if you don’t live locally and you’re playing sh it and losing most weeks. Could do without that, but I’ve enjoyed being away from the big club boll ocks that goes with making up the numbers in the PL. I’ve watched about 10 mins of live PL football this season, seen MOTD twice and even stopped reading most PL match reports in the press. Not missed it at all.

The coverage of the prem is illusory. There seems to be a vast amount of coverage but in fact most of it is comprised of a handful of "facts" repeated ad infinitum through every medium know to man.

Most of the coverage is fundamentally bollx.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:58 - Apr 27 with 1310 viewsBlackCrowe

loving the fulham struggles on 16:46 - Apr 27 by Konk

Your gates have done very well (if it really matters) considering you've had such tough season. Assume very strong season ticket sales?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 18:00]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

loving the fulham struggles on 10:46 - Apr 28 with 1110 viewsKonk

loving the fulham struggles on 16:55 - Apr 27 by Mytch_QPR

This reminds me a little of Victor Borges remarking on the Falklands conflict - "Two bald men fighting over a comb".

Edit: I'm not suggesting that either of you are challenged in the follicles department - I'm sure you have lustrous barnets.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 17:06]

Mytch, I've inherited a thick head of hair - both a blessing and a curse as it can get pretty big in humid conditions. Still, small price to pay.

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:50 - Apr 28 with 1104 viewsKonk

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:58 - Apr 27 by BlackCrowe

Your gates have done very well (if it really matters) considering you've had such tough season. Assume very strong season ticket sales?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 18:00]

Yeah, I can't remember how many we sold, but from memory it wasn't that far off the previous season. Just as well on the gate front. They've offered a 15% discount to people renewing for next season, so hopefully that will help with retention, but I think a lot will depend upon whether we make keep Symons - which could well indicate another year of doing it on the cheap - or make an alternative appointment early in the close season.

loving the fulham struggles on 11:10 - Apr 28 with 1074 viewsCiderwithRsie

loving the fulham struggles on 17:18 - Apr 27 by londonscottish

The coverage of the prem is illusory. There seems to be a vast amount of coverage but in fact most of it is comprised of a handful of "facts" repeated ad infinitum through every medium know to man.

Most of the coverage is fundamentally bollx.

I'd guess that less than half of the column inches or radio minutes devoted to the Premiership is about actual matches. Most of it is transfer speculation and soap opera.

If Mourinho says something snide about Pellegrini it gets higher billing than the result of a match between, say, West Brom and Everton on the same day. In fact, the match probably wouldn't even be mentioned in the main sports news bulletin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024