Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brian Clough 11:23 - Aug 21 with 8651 viewswillis1980

Ive recently finished reading the damned united and watched the film a couple of times now and Im not quite sure to make of him to be honest. His record speaks for itself, but although I can remember him as a manager I was too young to understand what he was like as a personality really. The closest thing my generation have to him is alex ferguson who i thought was a right twunt that often bullied his way to success. Clough on the other hand although arrogant seemed like a man of integrity. I was wondering what the older generations thought of him, whehther he was disliked like ferguson for example.

this documentary gives a little insight to him as a personality i reckon

Brian Clough on 22:43 - Aug 21 with 2454 viewsrobith

Brian Clough on 12:29 - Aug 21 by Pommyhoop

Indeed
Film made great viewing but I gave the book a miss.Read his Biography.
Brilliant manager .Genius is not a strong enough word..
[Post edited 21 Aug 2014 12:30]

The book is vastly superior to the film, which is awful
Brian Clough on 22:51 - Aug 21 with 2447 viewsMaggsinho

Brian Clough on 22:43 - Aug 21 by robith

Agreed, the book is very dark and brilliantly told. I enjoyed the film in itself but it's more like Carry On Cloughie than anything else.
Brian Clough on 23:34 - Aug 21 with 2409 viewsPommyhoop

Brian Clough on 22:43 - Aug 21 by robith

As soon as I heard the book was basically a load of bllx
As said by the Clough family and other sources like the Leeds players I thought I'd give it a miss

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Brian Clough on 07:27 - Aug 22 with 2365 viewsPommyhoop

Vintage Cloughy.
Motson gets a bollocking.

Brian Clough on 08:02 - Aug 22 with 2354 viewsElHoop

McGovern followed Clough everywhere and knew him pretty well, but still never knew where he stood:

http://talksport.com/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/120920/john-mcgovern-share

It's interesting to hear the bit when he talks about the tempo of training. I remember seeing Forest at QPR in the first season they came up and won the league. It was early in the season and everyone thought that they would fade, but we were never in the game - they hit us early I think, well they certainly came at us hard from the first minute. It was like blitzkrieg football and I think that they killed a lot of teams like that - they just came at you and played their way and it was over before you could do anything about it.
Brian Clough on 08:02 - Aug 22 with 2353 viewsDWQPR

He was a footballing genius and he should have managed England probably after Revie flopped and cleared off to the UAE for big bucks. Always worth a listen to and even when you thought he was wrong you still had this uncomfortable feeling that he was probably right. The Forest side of the late seventies was a great team and one thing that has gone unnoticed is that they actually went 42 league games unbeaten, albeit spanning over a two season period. That is also an incredible achievement.

Without doubt he wanted players to reach their potential and if that meant moving on then so be it. even his son left Forest for Liverpool. On a Sunday morning by all accounts he could be found in his brother's newsagents in Nottingham serving behind the counter and discussing the football from the day before.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Brian Clough on 09:15 - Aug 22 with 2327 viewsderbyhoop

Fantastic manager at the time. Sad decline.
So many memorable one liners.
I just wonder how he'd get on today with all the greed and lack of loyalty. I suspect more than a few agents might have had a swim in the Trent.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Brian Clough on 20:01 - Aug 22 with 2275 viewsCHUBBS

Brian Clough on 07:27 - Aug 22 by Pommyhoop

Vintage Cloughy.
Motson gets a bollocking.

If that doesn't sum him up in a nutshell i don't know what does
He fed Motson lunch there.
Have seen that about a dozen times pommy and it still makes me crack up every time,for me he was the greatest British manager ever.
Login to get fewer ads

Brian Clough on 21:50 - Aug 22 with 2226 viewsCamberleyR

Interviewer: How do you react when a member of your playing staff says "boss, I think you're doing this wrong?
BC: Good, well I ask him how he thinks it should be done, we get down to it, talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Brian Clough on 22:33 - Aug 22 with 2210 viewsMrSheen

Brian Clough on 09:15 - Aug 22 by derbyhoop

Fantastic manager at the time. Sad decline.
So many memorable one liners.
I just wonder how he'd get on today with all the greed and lack of loyalty. I suspect more than a few agents might have had a swim in the Trent.

The idea that he was a saintly figure is nonsense. Remember the Venables-Sugar court case about brown envelopes handed over at service stations? "Cloughie loves a bung".

I should add he gave me one of my happiest footballing memories: standing in the Shed with a friend and his reptilian workmate watching Franz Carr, Neil Webb and young Nigel scoring six.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 22:36]
Brian Clough on 22:57 - Aug 22 with 2196 viewsElHoop

Brian Clough on 21:50 - Aug 22 by CamberleyR

Interviewer: How do you react when a member of your playing staff says "boss, I think you're doing this wrong?
BC: Good, well I ask him how he thinks it should be done, we get down to it, talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right.

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."
Brian Clough on 09:02 - Aug 23 with 2162 viewsPommyhoop

Brian Clough on 20:01 - Aug 22 by CHUBBS

If that doesn't sum him up in a nutshell i don't know what does
He fed Motson lunch there.
Have seen that about a dozen times pommy and it still makes me crack up every time,for me he was the greatest British manager ever.

Exactly Chubbs.
The fella was unique ,a one off. Look at the way he slags off Trevor Francis ( in a sort of nice way).
He'd just scored the winner in The European Cup ( Champions League today youngens.)
Could you imagine any manager doing that today in the sterile , Sky dominated game that football has become.
I found out he was a pissead way before us lot down south knew about it. I was in West Mid hospital having a kidney op.( not as bad as it sounds .) Next bed was a lad from Chesterfield who was Forest. He told me that Cloughie was regually found out of it in ditches near his house .They kept it hushed up cos they loved him so much..
Like you say .Easily the best British manager bar none..

edit :: But I'm still proud that my all time hero in football.Stan the Man told him where to go and refused to become one 'of the robots'..
[Post edited 23 Aug 2014 9:16]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024