Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1st Pint & what pub 16:56 - Aug 21 with 7899 viewspaulparker

Ok to lift the gloom of Left vs Right, Beheadings and everyone getting on at each other t*ts
I thought I would start a thread on the one thing we all have in common
Beer & Alcohol
so how old was you when you had your 1st pint & where was it
ok 1st Pint was with the old man in the Turks Head in Hillingdon I was 14 and I think the old man needed a drinking partner as my Mum had left him, 4 pints later I was zig Zagging home , thinking this was the best feeling in the world & oblivious to the fact the old man & old girl were getting divorced

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

1st Pint & what pub on 21:04 - Aug 21 with 1880 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

First pint....cricket that's kinda like asking if I can remember my first breath!

First pint I bought myself with mates was in the Rancliffe Arms pub in Nottingham aged 14, and would have been Guinness or London Pride or some other ale.

First legal pint I bought was at The Archway Tavern off Holloway Road.

But ever since I can remember I was drinking in the pubs in Ireland in Skibbereen and at home with my folks. Never did that drinking in the park thing though, always had a house or pub to go to!
1st Pint & what pub on 22:11 - Aug 21 with 1838 viewsCiderwithRsie

London Pride, The Red Lion, Hillingdon hill
1st Pint & what pub on 22:25 - Aug 21 with 1828 viewsbluetooth

14 Light and Larger.....Fosters/Courage light ale

Duke Of Cambridge, Cambridge Rd Kingston.

Now bulldozed to be flats, so has the Sir Robert Peel (live music/stripers pub)
sad really used to be pubs all over that patch, long walk between them now days.
1st Pint & what pub on 22:32 - Aug 21 with 1824 viewskingshill

First pint could have been any of the Goldsmiths in East Acton, The Castle in North Acton, The Old Ship in Hammersmith, the Red Lion in Greenford before an under 18's disco or some pub in Ealing Broadway that was knocked down to make way for the shopping centre, all at the age of 15 and all with no sign of getting asked for proof of age. Things were very different then and as long as you behaved, plenty of pubs would serve you a beer without question.
There was even half a chance of getting into the Palais or Dingles at 15, once you were 16 it was a piece of cake
1st Pint & what pub on 22:46 - Aug 21 with 1813 viewsdanehoop

Had a bizarre evening on the way to a Bury Street youth club disco when I was about 14. Ended up in the Swan in Ruislip high street with a mate and a well known Mohican haired punk called Sean. Drinking I think lowenbrau. Was picked up from outside bury street about 2 hours later spewing my guts up by my dad. All a bit embarrassing.

Never knowingly understood

1st Pint & what pub on 23:44 - Aug 21 with 1803 viewsNoelmc

My first pint was a lager & lime in the General Smuts. I was 15 at the time & you could get 3 pints for a pound with a penny change!
1st Pint & what pub on 23:53 - Aug 21 with 1800 viewsLythamR

1st Pint & what pub on 17:40 - Aug 21 by Brightonhoop

Ha! The Turks Head PP. Mine was up the road at The Prince of Wales, three pints of London Pride and staggered down Vine Lane and back into Uxbridge. Got a right taste for it. Still drink it today. I guess I was 15 or so, no chance of getting a pint in the Red Lion, and Chris of the Prince of Wales knew my mates older brothers so just looked the other way and pulled you a pint. Magic times. First the lips, mouth, cheeks all numbing, legs going and falling over. A cheeky puff in the graveyard by the Cricket Pitch on the way home. Great days.

First pint was in the Falcon on Uxbridge high street but the majority of my drinking in my teens and up to 21 was in the magic triangle of the Turks Head, Prince of Wales and Red Lion on hillingdon hill occasionally straying over the road to the Vine

My staggers also went down Vine lane, up honeycroft hill and then home at the top of Harefield road and also had more than a cheeky puff in that graveyard and memorably once shared a ski job from a trainee WPC

that was circa 77/81
1st Pint & what pub on 00:45 - Aug 22 with 1782 viewsMrSheen

1st Pint & what pub on 19:03 - Aug 21 by Lblock

North Star in Ealing Broadway when I had just turned 15.

Can't be sure but think it may have been Castlemaine XXXX

They had a purge on under age drinker's soon after and we then laughably became the regulars at The Old City Arms on Hammersmith bridge!!!

Ha! Was a regular in the North Star as a 15 year old and used to meet the future Mrs. Sheen there about 1980. Served my apprenticeship with the old man in Quex Road Catholic Club, with master lasses with my grandad in the Spotted Dog in Willesden High Road. Honourable mentions for the Queens in Kilburn High Road, the Haven and Wheatsheaf in Haven Lane in Ealing and The Windmill on Cricklewood Broadway. Now my kids are that age, they get one can a night.
Login to get fewer ads

1st Pint & what pub on 08:06 - Aug 22 with 1751 viewsPommyhoop

First pint bought for me in a pub: The Halfway House, Southall .Bought by the Old Man ,think I was barely 14.Guinness
First pint bought by myself : The Prince of Wales Southall.I was 15. Light an Bitter
First Legal pint I bought.The North Star Heston. I'd been a regular there for the previous 2 years.Probably on the lager by then Holsten probably.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

1st Pint & what pub on 08:43 - Aug 22 with 1737 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First pint at eleven.

I was tiny and puny as a kid, so from an early age I would be given a bottle of stout with my dinner "to iron me up", as the old custom had it.

So when it came to my Confirmation into the Catholic Church at the age of eleven there was a doubt in my head as to whether I would take the traditional Pioneer Pledge along with my classmates, the Pledge being a promise to abstain from alcohol until the age of eighteen. The vast majority took this pledge and started drinking nonetheless whenever society's norms kicked in - usually fourteen, fifteen or sixteen.

I didn't feel very brave about defying the Catholic Church, but I also wanted to continue my alcohol intake of a couple of bottles here and there (for one thing I was still pathetically scrawny, for another Guinness tasted alright to my growing buds).

On the day of the confirmation, I surprised myself by not joining in the pledge. In the throng outside the church afterwards I bumped into my Dad. Eventually the question came up - had I taken the pledge? I told him I hadn't. He told me not to tell my Mother, and that he had an idea.

The idea involved us going for what was always euphemistically called a sandwich. Only the pub served sandwiches, it seemed. He ordered two pints and told me his plan. Pledge or no pledge, he didn't want me drinking in pubs until I was old enough (I nodded in agreement - I had no money, no pub would let me in, let alone serve the smallest person in the universe anyway). But his plan was simple - I could have a pint with him now, he would teach me how to drink it properly, how to drink it slowly, how to stand my round, and how to know when enough was enough. If I agreed, and took the pint, I would agree not to drink again until I was fifteen, I would drink only in his company for a year, and then at sixteen I could drink away.

Not surprisingly, I took the pint. Bar a pint that he gave me when Cork beat Tipp in the '84 Munster Hurling Final (I was 14), I stuck to the deal. When I turned fifteen I drank with him for a year, and him and his friends only. I drank slowly and held my round. A year later, when all my friends were drinking their first pints and getting locked and spewing all over West Cork, I was sober on our nights out and drink was demystified to me. I felt no peer pressure.

I found out years later that it was my Mother's idea, but she insisted that I be told that she knew nothing about it, and that I think it was between us 'men'.

So, eleven. In Causkey's Bar, Eyeries, West Cork.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1st Pint & what pub on 08:53 - Aug 22 with 1726 viewsPommyhoop

Great story Brian.The wisdom of the Irish Mum eh...
I too was given the odd bottle of Guinness to beef me up from an early age .It was hard work to be hoest for a scrawney 10 year old to get through a warm bottle of stout.
But I persevered.

1st Pint & what pub on 08:59 - Aug 22 with 1708 viewsDiscodroid

1st Pint & what pub on 08:43 - Aug 22 by BrianMcCarthy

First pint at eleven.

I was tiny and puny as a kid, so from an early age I would be given a bottle of stout with my dinner "to iron me up", as the old custom had it.

So when it came to my Confirmation into the Catholic Church at the age of eleven there was a doubt in my head as to whether I would take the traditional Pioneer Pledge along with my classmates, the Pledge being a promise to abstain from alcohol until the age of eighteen. The vast majority took this pledge and started drinking nonetheless whenever society's norms kicked in - usually fourteen, fifteen or sixteen.

I didn't feel very brave about defying the Catholic Church, but I also wanted to continue my alcohol intake of a couple of bottles here and there (for one thing I was still pathetically scrawny, for another Guinness tasted alright to my growing buds).

On the day of the confirmation, I surprised myself by not joining in the pledge. In the throng outside the church afterwards I bumped into my Dad. Eventually the question came up - had I taken the pledge? I told him I hadn't. He told me not to tell my Mother, and that he had an idea.

The idea involved us going for what was always euphemistically called a sandwich. Only the pub served sandwiches, it seemed. He ordered two pints and told me his plan. Pledge or no pledge, he didn't want me drinking in pubs until I was old enough (I nodded in agreement - I had no money, no pub would let me in, let alone serve the smallest person in the universe anyway). But his plan was simple - I could have a pint with him now, he would teach me how to drink it properly, how to drink it slowly, how to stand my round, and how to know when enough was enough. If I agreed, and took the pint, I would agree not to drink again until I was fifteen, I would drink only in his company for a year, and then at sixteen I could drink away.

Not surprisingly, I took the pint. Bar a pint that he gave me when Cork beat Tipp in the '84 Munster Hurling Final (I was 14), I stuck to the deal. When I turned fifteen I drank with him for a year, and him and his friends only. I drank slowly and held my round. A year later, when all my friends were drinking their first pints and getting locked and spewing all over West Cork, I was sober on our nights out and drink was demystified to me. I felt no peer pressure.

I found out years later that it was my Mother's idea, but she insisted that I be told that she knew nothing about it, and that I think it was between us 'men'.

So, eleven. In Causkey's Bar, Eyeries, West Cork.

great stuff bri..

..newcastle brown poured incrementally into a half pint pot under the firm but fair tutealge of grandad' red ted 'in the east ham working mans club.

the stoical sinking of newcastle was a rite of passage that had to be followed akin grasshopper and his sensi.

adressing the half pint like doug mountjoy the green ball on its spot at the crucible @1981 but dressed in your sunday best rather than a lime green ruffle evening shirt with harry hill collars.

suitcases full of contraband perishable and non perishable goods were cast among any drinkers who were just happening to look for mcdonalds frozen burgers looted from the branch in east ham high street.

all this to a background score of andrew golds 'never let her slip away'

i was 46.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 9:01]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

1st Pint & what pub on 09:04 - Aug 22 with 1701 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Pint & what pub on 08:59 - Aug 22 by Discodroid

great stuff bri..

..newcastle brown poured incrementally into a half pint pot under the firm but fair tutealge of grandad' red ted 'in the east ham working mans club.

the stoical sinking of newcastle was a rite of passage that had to be followed akin grasshopper and his sensi.

adressing the half pint like doug mountjoy the green ball on its spot at the crucible @1981 but dressed in your sunday best rather than a lime green ruffle evening shirt with harry hill collars.

suitcases full of contraband perishable and non perishable goods were cast among any drinkers who were just happening to look for mcdonalds frozen burgers looted from the branch in east ham high street.

i was 46.

About three LOL's and a few chuckles as well. Mighty stuff, Disco.

46, ya?

What was age was yer Grandad?

1st Pint & what pub on 09:09 - Aug 22 with 1694 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Pint & what pub on 08:53 - Aug 22 by Pommyhoop

Great story Brian.The wisdom of the Irish Mum eh...
I too was given the odd bottle of Guinness to beef me up from an early age .It was hard work to be hoest for a scrawney 10 year old to get through a warm bottle of stout.
But I persevered.

Aha! A fellow Popeye! 'Round the kitchen table, my brother (always a big hoor) used to hum the Popeye tune when I'd reach my skeletal hand out for my bottle of Guinness.

I should have whacked him. But he was funny. And huge.

1st Pint & what pub on 09:11 - Aug 22 with 1686 viewsPommyhoop

1st Pint & what pub on 08:59 - Aug 22 by Discodroid

great stuff bri..

i was 46.

LOL Disco.
When we were nippers on our bikes hanging about outside the local North Star longingly looking through the windows this tune would be teasing our ears evertime the door opened.

1st Pint & what pub on 09:15 - Aug 22 with 1533 viewsToast_R

Pint of Guinness in The Cricketers Pub in Mitcham. I was 15 and it was Christmas eve 1995.

I had previously been on a French trip with the school and we found a bar whilst shirking off doing what we were meant to be doing. I had half a Murphy's in there and thought it was all right so Guinness seemed an obvious choice.

Like most places, The Cricketers for all it's years in existence on the Green in Mitcham....is no longer there. Shame
1st Pint & what pub on 09:16 - Aug 22 with 1528 viewspaulparker

1st Pint & what pub on 22:46 - Aug 21 by danehoop

Had a bizarre evening on the way to a Bury Street youth club disco when I was about 14. Ended up in the Swan in Ruislip high street with a mate and a well known Mohican haired punk called Sean. Drinking I think lowenbrau. Was picked up from outside bury street about 2 hours later spewing my guts up by my dad. All a bit embarrassing.

The Bury street youth club, blimey Dane you have pulled one out the bag there
used to frequent that place a lot when I was 12 /13
loving the fact a few used to have a cheeky puff near the cemetery over in Hillingdon
Hillingdon, Hayes & Uxbridge was a hotbed for under aged drinking back in the day

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

1st Pint & what pub on 09:19 - Aug 22 with 1523 viewsaston_hoop

Pretty sure it was a pint of Guinness (it was what my dad drank so seemed the obvious choice..) when I was maybe 15 and we used to tag along with my mates older brother and his mates. Think it was the Red Hart in Hitchin.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

1st Pint & what pub on 09:20 - Aug 22 with 1518 viewsDiscodroid

1st Pint & what pub on 09:04 - Aug 22 by BrianMcCarthy

About three LOL's and a few chuckles as well. Mighty stuff, Disco.

46, ya?

What was age was yer Grandad?

you cant kid a kidder bri!!

i remember the old man using those home brewing kits the results of which looked like the contents of a cauldron youd see in 'the witchfinder general'.

i also remember asking him why he drunk cans of lager which were evocatively entitled '9%'..he said he "liked the taste'.

which rather unfortunately leads me to recall a rather unsavoury incident when i brought a girl back to meet the parents for the first time, the old rascal was in the garden , sunday afternoon , snoring catching flys and surrounded by cans of the aforementioned and most beguiling '9%' tasty beverage and 60 'kim' cigarette butts

dressed as a cockney john barrymore in open white robe displaying his crown jewles..

"thats my dad" i said .

she became my wife.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 9:32]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

1st Pint & what pub on 09:30 - Aug 22 with 1504 viewsballbag

First real pint was outside The Raj on Holland Park Road circa 1994...I was about 14 at the time and was hanging out with my brother and his mates who bought me a couple of pints as long as I didn't go inside.

Spending every Summer in Spain since I was born meant that I sampled the delights of the amber nectar at an even earlier age as my older cousins thought watching a 13 year old get hammered on Estrella Galicia and kalimotxo would be a laugh. Mind you, they weren't much older and were in just a bad a state.
1st Pint & what pub on 10:05 - Aug 22 with 1483 viewsTHEBUSH

Probably the Bridport Arms in deepest darkest Notting Dale, although it might have been, The Crown, in Princedale Road or the Portland Arms, in Portland Road.
Sadly, all three, are now closed, a tragedy
1st Pint & what pub on 10:26 - Aug 22 with 1469 viewspaulparker

1st Pint & what pub on 09:20 - Aug 22 by Discodroid

you cant kid a kidder bri!!

i remember the old man using those home brewing kits the results of which looked like the contents of a cauldron youd see in 'the witchfinder general'.

i also remember asking him why he drunk cans of lager which were evocatively entitled '9%'..he said he "liked the taste'.

which rather unfortunately leads me to recall a rather unsavoury incident when i brought a girl back to meet the parents for the first time, the old rascal was in the garden , sunday afternoon , snoring catching flys and surrounded by cans of the aforementioned and most beguiling '9%' tasty beverage and 60 'kim' cigarette butts

dressed as a cockney john barrymore in open white robe displaying his crown jewles..

"thats my dad" i said .

she became my wife.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 9:32]

1st Pint & what pub on 10:48 - Aug 22 with 1449 viewsBrightonhoop

1st Pint & what pub on 23:53 - Aug 21 by LythamR

First pint was in the Falcon on Uxbridge high street but the majority of my drinking in my teens and up to 21 was in the magic triangle of the Turks Head, Prince of Wales and Red Lion on hillingdon hill occasionally straying over the road to the Vine

My staggers also went down Vine lane, up honeycroft hill and then home at the top of Harefield road and also had more than a cheeky puff in that graveyard and memorably once shared a ski job from a trainee WPC

that was circa 77/81

Ha! I started in circa 82 but lived on Park Road, you must have been passing there some nights. And yes the graveyard saw alot more shennanigans as time progressed.
1st Pint & what pub on 11:02 - Aug 22 with 1439 viewsgordanoR

Apart from a few vodkas with my Granddad (I'm half Polish) from the age of about 13 I was never into drinking in the park. I didn't start drinking until the first week of my apprenticeship. The great thing about the first year of my apprenticeship was that I was to leave home at 16, the not so great thing was that my new home was Coventry (actually better than Swindon where I grew up). My first pint was a cider (probably Strongbow) in a pub called the Hen & Chickens in The Butts area of Coventry.
1st Pint & what pub on 11:15 - Aug 22 with 1434 viewsLythamR

1st Pint & what pub on 10:48 - Aug 22 by Brightonhoop

Ha! I started in circa 82 but lived on Park Road, you must have been passing there some nights. And yes the graveyard saw alot more shennanigans as time progressed.

you will almost certainly have heard my midnight warbling as i walked past on occasion, unless i was spooning in a special fried rice from the Dynasty. Abrook Arms and Gardeners Arms by the tec were the midweek favourites along with Chequers in the precinct
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024