Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog Fostering update. 17:34 - Aug 21 with 2013 viewsBrightonhoop

Hello fellas, Someone has suggested an update on where we are at which is quite timely, it's been a baptism of fire.

It's a longish story so bare with me. I took on a dog with 15 pups, 7 of which had been fished out of the street bins and planted on her, despite having 8 of her own. All were due to be gassed the next day regardless so I agreed to take them on as no-one else was going to. It was alot more demanding than I expected, and although I managed it for nearly five weeks, when a third died I threw the towel in to get help from someone more experienced than myself. It turns out they were healthy, no virus was present and all were ok, some have since been rehomed permanently elsewhere in Holland and Germany. The mother dog was also seriously ill on arrival and I am not quite sure how she survived. Fed her boiled rice and chicken then pasta and chicken, with vitamin tablets and anti-biotics to try and stabalise her. Not easy in temps well over 35 C! She was a fighter, a Staffie X I reckon, beautiful dog, only 1 year old herself. Several things learned so far: Don't get attatched, they are moving on! Dont under-estimate what you are taking on, learn to walk before you run. I swear I will never work with pups again, the guilt when some die is fcking awful even when the deaths are natural, some kind soul reminded me they would all have been gassed had I not taken them on.

The biggest lesson has been you've got to be brutal.I got stiffed on 500 euro I was supposed to receive to cover my costs, for food, meds, vets all sorts, so not a good start on that front, has set me back weeks. So, no future dogs cross this threshold without payment in advance. It is on a non-profit basis to provide terra firma to do the required work whilst future permanent homes are found. I'm consequently about £250 short of where I need to be.

On the glass half full side, my two got on well with the parent dog and were fascinated by the pups although I had to keep them separately through risk of viruses etc until the first rounds of vaccs including Rabies etc were given.

I've had to put off a German Shep that was due to come because the perimeter is not sealed meaning there's too great a risk of adults escaping. My two never have, but I need to get works finished before taking any more in. As it happens, the builders merchants, both of them locally, are now on holiday and closed until 27th August so until then I cant do much anyway. I've got a load of building blocks and cement/sand paint etc in the yard but still need to get the fencing uprights, angles and outdoor sink as well as plumbing for it etc, then screen the whole plot as the house is close to the road and my two, Rocky and Jago after Gordon Jago, go mental when a noisy bike or lorry go past. If any escape, not only is the road very close and Spanish drivers make Italians look positively sane...I risk a 1000 euro fine. So it has to be right. The Spanish don't believe dogs have souls and have no two thoughts about mowing dogs down on the roads. It's proper Wild West in parts of Almeria, crazy place.

So if anyone feels so inclined to see us over the finishing line we have a Donate page here: http://www.fivewaysonline.com/#/almeria-dog-fostering/4585234409

I was doing so well on the funding front and got mugged off, so I've been a bit pished orf about that because on fundraising etc, which I'm also learning about, you cant launch a boat for the first time twice......

Sincere thanks to all who have helped and given so generously. There's a lot gone on behind the scenes I wont go into publicly but I wont succumb to bullies and having started this I will see it through regardless. And apologies for the late update too, it's just been time at a premium with the 17 dogs I took in, two older pups as well, but fire fighting some competitive detractors too. Believe me the Taliban exist and thrive in the Dog Rescue world.... I've turned significantly greyer since starting this.

More updates to follow, and a newsletter of sorts will start going out to supporters also when time and 'skills' allow. There's photos etc of the pups I took in on the donate page above. They were fcking brilliant despite all the trauma! So glad some have been re-homed permanently.
Dog Fostering update. on 18:44 - Aug 21 with 1443 viewsDWQPR

Brighton, did you get in touch with Pat?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Dog Fostering update. on 18:49 - Aug 21 with 1432 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 18:44 - Aug 21 by DWQPR

Brighton, did you get in touch with Pat?

Hello mate,no I haven't had time but will do.
Dog Fostering update. on 19:14 - Aug 21 with 1408 viewswombat

Dog Fostering update. on 18:49 - Aug 21 by Brightonhoop

Hello mate,no I haven't had time but will do.

Glad u put an update up Brighton I was gonna message you the other day to find out how things were going . Won't be over in sept mate the missu is on crutches for the next month and gonna be knackered for the next 3 months so no autumn trips to Spain this year sorry mate . Sorry to hear about getting stiffed as well wish I could stick more on the donation each month things are tight here with the wife off work and not getting paid , try and keep sane and hope it gets better soon over there

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dog Fostering update. on 19:19 - Aug 21 with 1401 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 19:14 - Aug 21 by wombat

Glad u put an update up Brighton I was gonna message you the other day to find out how things were going . Won't be over in sept mate the missu is on crutches for the next month and gonna be knackered for the next 3 months so no autumn trips to Spain this year sorry mate . Sorry to hear about getting stiffed as well wish I could stick more on the donation each month things are tight here with the wife off work and not getting paid , try and keep sane and hope it gets better soon over there

Nice one Wombat, sorry to hear about the Missus, hope she gets well soon. Drop in whenever you can, always welcome.

As for here, teething troubles really,a learning curve and life lessons. All difficult times come to pass.
Dog Fostering update. on 21:36 - Aug 21 with 1326 viewsGloucs_R

well done Brighton, keep it up mate!!!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Dog Fostering update. on 08:36 - Aug 22 with 1234 viewsClive_Anderson

Just made a small donation, sorry it's not a lot as I'm a bit skint at the moment.

Keep up the good work, it's the same deal here in Portugal with loads of dogs roaming the streets. Almost picked one up yesterday that was on the road, but I had my two with me at the time.

Even worse there's a load just chained up 24 hours a day often in cages or barns that never get to see the light of day.
Dog Fostering update. on 09:57 - Aug 22 with 1203 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot.

Donated just now.

Keep it up

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Dog Fostering update. on 10:00 - Aug 22 with 1202 viewssmegma

Konk will even pleasure a dog for half time entertainment at the Cottage, that's got to be worth sponsoring surely ?!
Login to get fewer ads

Dog Fostering update. on 10:36 - Aug 22 with 1181 viewsBrightonhoop

Thanks Gloucs, CA, Met, I saw that Smegma and thought I could send Konk 50 dogs but I doubt he could vvank them all off in half time....:-)
Dog Fostering update. on 11:29 - Aug 22 with 1158 viewsQPunkR

Dog Fostering update. on 10:36 - Aug 22 by Brightonhoop

Thanks Gloucs, CA, Met, I saw that Smegma and thought I could send Konk 50 dogs but I doubt he could vvank them all off in half time....:-)

He could give it a bloody good go!

QPR - "shit but local"

Dog Fostering update. on 11:50 - Aug 22 with 1143 viewscyprusmel

Well Brighton, as you now know there is always grief involved in dog rescue, my wife and I have been on the Island of Cyprus now for just over 6 years and have been involved with animal rescue from the time we arrived and some of the things we have seen have been horrendous a few months ago a driver of a truck was stopped by the police for driving with a dog tied on the back of the vehicle the dog of course was dead by the time he was arrested. Only a few weeks back there was a case which I know made the major newspapers in the U.K. where a small dog was thrown alive into a rubbish compactor of a hotel, some residents heard it and got it out but by the time it was taken to a vet it had serious injuries and had to be put down, today I received an e-mail from a Cypriot estate agent who after discussing properties goes off on a tangent to say how badly some Cypriots treat animals, he went on to say how some of them treat animals like toys and when they have had enough of them just discard them or worse. The trouble is that like Spain when the temperatures are in the mid 30's for most of July and August discarded and abandoned dogs will die a horrible death through dehydration, some of the ones we have rescued have just been like skin draped over a skeleton with sunken eyes and infested with fleas and ticks. We have looked after and mended cats and dogs with broken limbs and found them homes. Last year my wife and her friend managed to re-home to Germany 73 dogs slightly more than the previous year. Snakes of course are another problem for hungry animals and we have three here that can kill quite quickly, most of us with animals carry snake kits with us when walking dogs in the country side, the snakes won't bother you but will if cornered attack an animal. We work with G.O.A.L. (group of animal lovers), PAR (Polis animal rescue), PARG (Peigia animal rescue group), CYDRA (Cyprus dog re-homing association) and the large shelter at Achelia near the Pafos airport PAWS. The last 2 both have web sites and you can see some of our dogs on them. The key to the problem in Cyprus is trying to persuade people to have animals spayed or neutered, this is the nub of the problem and at the moment the government have no money to help but until it happens we are just touching the tip of the iceberg. Let me make it clear as well that the problem here is not just Cypriots of whom many are really good with their cats and dogs, the Brits sometimes on their way back permanently to the U.K. just drop of their dogs at the shelter and say going back to England can't/won't take them with me. On another occasion there was a call to the shelter from England saying that he had left 2 dogs and a cat in a house where he used to live and his neighbour has a key, basically sort it out. We have 7 rescue dogs of our own 24 cats and 2 goats. At the moment we have 15 dogs living here. We also are lucky to have a Cypriot neighbour who has built us a small enclosure on his land where we have another 5 puppies. Very long winded Brighton but I sympathise with all the problems you have and good luck to you. Mel
Dog Fostering update. on 12:11 - Aug 22 with 1129 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 11:50 - Aug 22 by cyprusmel

Well Brighton, as you now know there is always grief involved in dog rescue, my wife and I have been on the Island of Cyprus now for just over 6 years and have been involved with animal rescue from the time we arrived and some of the things we have seen have been horrendous a few months ago a driver of a truck was stopped by the police for driving with a dog tied on the back of the vehicle the dog of course was dead by the time he was arrested. Only a few weeks back there was a case which I know made the major newspapers in the U.K. where a small dog was thrown alive into a rubbish compactor of a hotel, some residents heard it and got it out but by the time it was taken to a vet it had serious injuries and had to be put down, today I received an e-mail from a Cypriot estate agent who after discussing properties goes off on a tangent to say how badly some Cypriots treat animals, he went on to say how some of them treat animals like toys and when they have had enough of them just discard them or worse. The trouble is that like Spain when the temperatures are in the mid 30's for most of July and August discarded and abandoned dogs will die a horrible death through dehydration, some of the ones we have rescued have just been like skin draped over a skeleton with sunken eyes and infested with fleas and ticks. We have looked after and mended cats and dogs with broken limbs and found them homes. Last year my wife and her friend managed to re-home to Germany 73 dogs slightly more than the previous year. Snakes of course are another problem for hungry animals and we have three here that can kill quite quickly, most of us with animals carry snake kits with us when walking dogs in the country side, the snakes won't bother you but will if cornered attack an animal. We work with G.O.A.L. (group of animal lovers), PAR (Polis animal rescue), PARG (Peigia animal rescue group), CYDRA (Cyprus dog re-homing association) and the large shelter at Achelia near the Pafos airport PAWS. The last 2 both have web sites and you can see some of our dogs on them. The key to the problem in Cyprus is trying to persuade people to have animals spayed or neutered, this is the nub of the problem and at the moment the government have no money to help but until it happens we are just touching the tip of the iceberg. Let me make it clear as well that the problem here is not just Cypriots of whom many are really good with their cats and dogs, the Brits sometimes on their way back permanently to the U.K. just drop of their dogs at the shelter and say going back to England can't/won't take them with me. On another occasion there was a call to the shelter from England saying that he had left 2 dogs and a cat in a house where he used to live and his neighbour has a key, basically sort it out. We have 7 rescue dogs of our own 24 cats and 2 goats. At the moment we have 15 dogs living here. We also are lucky to have a Cypriot neighbour who has built us a small enclosure on his land where we have another 5 puppies. Very long winded Brighton but I sympathise with all the problems you have and good luck to you. Mel

I dont which is worse Mel, Cyprus or Spain, but you and your wife are doing Gods work so keep it up.
It is about education, spaying etc to keep populations down and here it is up to an individual too initiate any action against animal abusers, I dont get that, they have a police division to deal with it but the State doesn't bring the prosecutions, the complainer has to. Crazy.
And yes, in the years ahead I can see myself having dogs, cats, goats, horses you name it, I'm going to need a bigger plot.
Starting out, it has been a nightmare that I didn't anticipate. Hey ho, onwards and upwards. Keep up the good work, man.
Dog Fostering update. on 16:03 - Aug 22 with 1093 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 12:11 - Aug 22 by Brightonhoop

I dont which is worse Mel, Cyprus or Spain, but you and your wife are doing Gods work so keep it up.
It is about education, spaying etc to keep populations down and here it is up to an individual too initiate any action against animal abusers, I dont get that, they have a police division to deal with it but the State doesn't bring the prosecutions, the complainer has to. Crazy.
And yes, in the years ahead I can see myself having dogs, cats, goats, horses you name it, I'm going to need a bigger plot.
Starting out, it has been a nightmare that I didn't anticipate. Hey ho, onwards and upwards. Keep up the good work, man.

Norf,could you pin this as a sticky, until say tomorrow morning, just to bring the good folks that help initially up to date. Thank you.
Dog Fostering update. on 17:45 - Aug 22 with 1057 viewsLblock

Gee zus.
There's some proper scum in this world. Reading about the abuse of animals and dogs in particular sends my blood cold.

I've the best looked after black labrador in the world asleep at my feet and I'm so glad we rescued her.

Cap doffed to you rescue guys abroad.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog Fostering update. on 19:25 - Aug 22 with 1025 viewsHollowayRanger

if you want another theres one across the road you can have its one of those horrid poxy staffs barks no stop ,owners don't give a damm and are not the sort to mess with (told this by the frigging police!)

hasn't got to me yet but one day it will drive me to despair and it will be bye bye dog

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Dog Fostering update. on 20:09 - Aug 22 with 1019 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 19:25 - Aug 22 by HollowayRanger

if you want another theres one across the road you can have its one of those horrid poxy staffs barks no stop ,owners don't give a damm and are not the sort to mess with (told this by the frigging police!)

hasn't got to me yet but one day it will drive me to despair and it will be bye bye dog

Perhaps it senses your malice Holloway, it's likely to be of a higher intelligence...
Dog Fostering update. on 20:25 - Aug 22 with 1010 viewsHollowayRanger

Dog Fostering update. on 20:09 - Aug 22 by Brightonhoop

Perhaps it senses your malice Holloway, it's likely to be of a higher intelligence...

no its just a dog it poo's it barks and given the chance bites

you may guess im not a dog person and would ban the lot of them whats wrong with everyone having a goldfish far cheaper and no need to take for a walk!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Dog Fostering update. on 20:52 - Aug 22 with 1005 viewsMatch82

Dog Fostering update. on 19:25 - Aug 22 by HollowayRanger

I'd be careful, by the sounds of things it may be "bye bye holloway" shortly after...
Dog Fostering update. on 22:32 - Aug 22 with 980 viewsLblock

I'm far from a staff lover - other end of the spectrum actually.

I've also thought Holloway got some undue stick at times on here

However, having carefully considered all the options, deliberated extensively and engaged rational debate in my mind, I have come to the conclusion that...... Holloway you are a c0ck.

I place my dog above 96.27% of all people I've met. Should I meet you I'd imagine that would rise to 96.28%.

That is all

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog Fostering update. on 01:27 - Aug 23 with 955 viewsHollowayRanger

I know I know mans best friend ect ect

maybe they know I hate em but ive been attacked by loads over the years for no reason german shephards usually which isn't fun and yes most were police dogs

off duty as I use to live next to police flats where the coopers kept them and they use to escape all the ruddy time

and lost count of the amount of dog shite ive walked in

and the barking grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Listen to the band play!

Dog Fostering update. on 10:50 - Aug 23 with 908 viewsTheBlob

Dog Fostering update. on 01:27 - Aug 23 by HollowayRanger

I know I know mans best friend ect ect

maybe they know I hate em but ive been attacked by loads over the years for no reason german shephards usually which isn't fun and yes most were police dogs

off duty as I use to live next to police flats where the coopers kept them and they use to escape all the ruddy time

and lost count of the amount of dog shite ive walked in

and the barking grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dogs can instinctively detect a wrong 'un Holloway.
Especially Alsatians.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2014 11:18]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Dog Fostering update. on 11:32 - Aug 23 with 894 viewstoemasher

Good work and lovely photos. Mums expression with all those pups! I hope a small donation will help. All the best T
Dog Fostering update. on 13:09 - Aug 23 with 870 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 11:32 - Aug 23 by toemasher

Good work and lovely photos. Mums expression with all those pups! I hope a small donation will help. All the best T

I very nearly kept her Toemasher. Thank you for the donation, much appreciated.
Dog Fostering update. on 13:18 - Aug 23 with 869 viewskensalriser

Hats off to you Brighton and Mel. It's hard to understand the mentality of people who are cruel to and/or abandon pets they've presumably chosen to look after in the first place.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Dog Fostering update. on 13:32 - Aug 23 with 866 viewsBrightonhoop

Dog Fostering update. on 13:18 - Aug 23 by kensalriser

Hats off to you Brighton and Mel. It's hard to understand the mentality of people who are cruel to and/or abandon pets they've presumably chosen to look after in the first place.

It's a mad world Kensal, particularly brutal in southern Europe. My two boys, a dalmation and a German Shep, both came off the delightfully called 'kill list'. They're not Kennel Club types, and came with street manners, but you couldn't ask for two better dogs, so loyal and so wanting to please all the time. It just wouldn't be home without them now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024