Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR in the Great War 16:20 - Aug 28 with 2743 viewsBaldric2

I am interested in learning more about Edward Lintott who was one of the players to enlist in the 17th Middlesex Regiment - the first of two footballers battalions (each of 1000 men) that were formed in 1914. I know that several other Q.P.R. players enlisted but I can't find their names. I am also interested in talk of a war memorial to those who served. Is this planned for Loftus Road?
QPR in the Great War on 16:51 - Aug 28 with 2706 viewsmakaveli1882

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersL/BioLintottEH.html

I have a rangers badge with his name on and solider etc, think they sell outside the ground
QPR in the Great War on 16:54 - Aug 28 with 2703 viewsqprcanadabc

very interesting..like how he helped us out by becoming a professional

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/leedscityprofiles.php/LintottEH.php - suggests he enlisted in Yorkshire...gonna be fun getting to the bottom of this mystery :)

QPR history says he joined a Middlesex reg whereas the Yorkshire teams claim he joined up there...all agree he died on the first day of the Somme

QPR fan Ron Gould picks up the story which you won't find in the QPR history books. Ron and his wife went to the Thiepval monument a few years ago which contains the names of 72,000 men killed at the Battle of the Somme in 1916 and whose bodies have never been found or identified. One of those names is that of Lt. E.H Lintott of the 15th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. A letter to the Yorkshire Post describes his last moments. "Lt. Lintott’s end was particularly gallant. He led his men with great dash and when hit the first time declined to take the count. Instead he drew his revolver and called for further effort, again he was hit but struggled on but a third shot finally bowled him over." Ron sums him up as a great man, an inspirational school teacher, hero and not least a Queens Park Ranger. “Lest us not forget”.
QPR in the Great War on 17:43 - Aug 28 with 2660 viewsBaldric2

QPR in the Great War on 16:54 - Aug 28 by qprcanadabc

very interesting..like how he helped us out by becoming a professional

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/leedscityprofiles.php/LintottEH.php - suggests he enlisted in Yorkshire...gonna be fun getting to the bottom of this mystery :)

QPR history says he joined a Middlesex reg whereas the Yorkshire teams claim he joined up there...all agree he died on the first day of the Somme

QPR fan Ron Gould picks up the story which you won't find in the QPR history books. Ron and his wife went to the Thiepval monument a few years ago which contains the names of 72,000 men killed at the Battle of the Somme in 1916 and whose bodies have never been found or identified. One of those names is that of Lt. E.H Lintott of the 15th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. A letter to the Yorkshire Post describes his last moments. "Lt. Lintott’s end was particularly gallant. He led his men with great dash and when hit the first time declined to take the count. Instead he drew his revolver and called for further effort, again he was hit but struggled on but a third shot finally bowled him over." Ron sums him up as a great man, an inspirational school teacher, hero and not least a Queens Park Ranger. “Lest us not forget”.

Thanks for the information - first class. I know of a club where a group of fans are lobbying for a war memorial to their players who served in the Great War. One of the players who may be named on it played only one game - and that was on loan - and it was in 1910. I find it interesting that you seem willing to 'share' Lintott. Do you know of others who were actually on the books of QPR when war broke out and so can be exclusively claimed as your own?
QPR in the Great War on 17:45 - Aug 28 with 2654 viewsjohann28

I know of another - Corporal Ben Butler, whose last words (spoken to the army chaplain in a makeshift hospital just behind the front line) were 'no more football for me'. Linott (I think it's Evelyn rather than Edward) was the first R to be capped for England.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2014 17:46]
QPR in the Great War on 17:47 - Aug 28 with 2650 viewsjohann28

Have just come across this article which may be of interest

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2011/11/corporal-albert-ben-butler-qpr-player-the-first-
QPR in the Great War on 19:39 - Aug 28 with 2579 viewsBaldric2

QPR in the Great War on 17:47 - Aug 28 by johann28

Have just come across this article which may be of interest

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2011/11/corporal-albert-ben-butler-qpr-player-the-first-

Butler is named on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site as a Reading player?!
QPR in the Great War on 20:00 - Aug 28 with 2557 viewsMonahoop

What a great and interesting thread. So refreshing after all the groaning and moping about HR and his bunch of wet dish cloths.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

QPR in the Great War on 20:38 - Aug 28 with 2526 viewsHammersmithR

QPR in the Great War on 20:00 - Aug 28 by Monahoop

What a great and interesting thread. So refreshing after all the groaning and moping about HR and his bunch of wet dish cloths.

I have done a lot of research on our players that were in WW1. I go over to the Battlefield sites every year. I have seen where our ex players are remembered at various graves and memorials. It would be nice at our new ground if we did have a memorial for our ex servicemen from both World Wars. Blackburn have an excellent one at their ground.

Ones that I know that played for us:

Pte Henry Pennifer
L/Cpl Ben Butler
Evelyn Lintott
Pte Oscar Linkson
L/Cpl Fred Durston
Pte Green (27th Middlesex)
Pte John Gregory

A book that I would thoroughly recommend on the subject is 'When the whistle blows' by Andrew Riddoch and John Kemp. The Footballers' Battalion started in our borough at Fulham Town Hall.

Something I have mentioned to the club about a few times but they show very little interest. Have never responded to my emails. Their stories are something that many Rangers fans would find interesting given the centenary.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR in the Great War on 00:10 - Aug 29 with 2445 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This is the best post I've seen on here in ages.
QPR in the Great War on 00:15 - Aug 29 with 2440 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Link to another fan forum covering this a while ago

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2013/11/we-will-remember-them-6/
QPR in the Great War on 00:39 - Aug 29 with 2425 viewszicoshoops

In 1909 when he was a young lad, my Grandad watched us play at Park Royal.
Then he went off to fight in the First World War and got lucky.
He was Gassed, captured, and spent three years in a Prisoner of War Camp.
Lucky?....Yeah, all his Brothers were killed.

He's been dead now for more than forty years, but when I was a very young boy he would tell me stories of the games he watched us play, and the players he saw.

I wish I'd listened.
QPR in the Great War on 02:03 - Aug 29 with 2409 viewsSonofNorfolt

Our Supremo, Mr Whittingham, put up a photo I took of Evelyn Lintott's name on the Thiepval Memorial at The Somme for Nov 11 a while back, but it may have been on this site's previous incarnation/ownership.
Dig it out Clive in three months, if you still have it? This year especially.
(Also scan the copy of the First Charity Shield Programme, 1908.)

Back to the subject matter, yes, he is more than up there with all our favourites from the last half century, as should be Reg Allen, similar reasons, different war.
(No subject) (n/t) on 03:50 - Aug 29 with 2389 views18StoneOfHoop

Ah bollux to Bonetti,Bates,Speedie and OsgoodWasgood!
A post, mainly about Evelyn Lintott, I spent a good while researching and painstakingly one finger copying and writing goes up in knackered unsupported unfit-for-purpose Windows 8 XP computer smoke.

Not gonna do it all again -scheisterhyzen!

Great thread anyway.
All posts informative and interesting.

Baldric2 get in touch with Steve Russell of Independent R's I'm sure he will glad to furnish you with more information about QPR and the Great War.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/players/lintott.htm

http://spartacus-educational.com/QPRlintott.htm

Queen's Park Ranger's: The Complete Record by Goron Macey published by Breedon books ISBN 978-1-85983-714-6 - every QPR fanatic's home should have one.
In my 2009 edition, page 226 there is a 200 word pen picture of Evelyn Lintott. Copying this carefully by one finger is what took so long and I'm not redoing.
35 QPR apps 1 goal .First ever QPR International.

[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 4:16]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

QPR in the Great War on 07:31 - Aug 29 with 2343 viewsPhildo

May also be worth contacting Simon Barker at the PFA to see what they have about him in their archives?

Outstanding thread by the way,
QPR in the Great War on 10:00 - Aug 29 with 2288 viewsBaldric2

One of the issues about memorials is the old chestnut about who is entitled to commemoration at a ground. Only those who were on the books or those who played for the club at some point pre-war. I know of one large club that might include on a war memorial a player who was on loan and made only one appearance and that was four years before the war. Where do you draw the line?

Some of you may know the story about Heart of Midlothian. The Edinburgh club was top of the Scottish league in November 1914 having won all eight of their opening games. The whole team enlisted and most went into a 16th Royal Scots which was informally known as McCrae's battalion. They are playing this year in tops that replicate the one of 1914 with the original club badge on it and no sponsor. Other players from Scotland enlisted - notably from Raith Rovers. They are using a commemorative away top in the colours of the Royal Scots tartan. For this season their club crest has the words 'McCrae's Battalion' underneath and they have no sponsor on the front - only the word 'RemembeR'. The two capital 'R's' are for Raith Rovers. I have bought the Hearts top and might also buy the Raith Rovers one. If Leyton Orient are using a commemorative top I'll treat myself to one of these too! These stories are in a book called 'Strange Times! 1914' (if you can call an Amazon download a book. This is where I came across references to players from London clubs. Another story is about Frederick Charrington (of the brewing family) being ejected from Craven Cottage when he tried to deliver a pre-arranged, half time recruitment speech!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024