Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
we really needed a striker!! 00:16 - Sep 2 with 9871 viewsconnell10

I know it's a no shit sherlock statement but we really did need to sign another striker!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

we really needed a striker!! on 16:07 - Sep 2 with 933 viewsrobith

we really needed a striker!! on 13:54 - Sep 2 by SpiritofGregory

We could have found out that he was a money grabbing bastard in 5mins and swiftly moved on to someone else, not spend half the night trying to convince him to accept less than what he wanted. We should have never been in this position in the first place, it's as if the board genuinely believed that Remy was staying. All that nonsense about him being a good lad and he wouldn't run out on us at the last minute - bull.

It's a shame because we have brought some really good signing, not signing a striker has really screwed us up. If we had replaced Remy we would be staying up no problem, now we are going to have to sweat out every game until January.

So we shouldn't waste time, but we also shouldn't negotiate.

We also should have conjured up a fully fledged scouting network from nowhere

We have three strikers in Charlie, Bobby and Vargas

We have Hoilett who can play as a 10 (an has excelled there in fact)

Adel (I know) can also play as a 10 or a false 9

Fer and Mutch can play in the hole. I've yet to be convined by Phillips as an out and out striker, but as wing forward he has tremendous potential.

Would've I have liked to sign another striker? Yeah, as back up to Charlie and Bobby. None was available or at the price we wanted so we went "no thanks" and work with what we've got. Pretty glad that maybe a couple of those lessons have actually sunk in. Are we at risk of injuries? Yes, everyone is. It's a contact sport. But it's not like we have no strikers. We have 3 bloody good ones and a host of options on how to tactically support them.

I can't believe I just did a serious response reply to a SOG post. Gonna have a shower
we really needed a striker!! on 16:09 - Sep 2 with 932 viewsMaggsinho

we really needed a striker!! on 16:05 - Sep 2 by Northernr

I think we look well set. We're one striker short, but I'm pleased we walked away from deals rather than panicking and overpaying. It sends out a strong message that we're not going to do that any more, which will stand us in good stead on future deadline days.
Well done QPR, a really good transfer window.

I think how this bodes well for the future is a really good point. I'm sure the likes of Borini, Sigthorsson and their agents all assumed we'd roll over and give them whatever they wanted given out behaviour over the last few years so heartening to see we didn't.

Similarly, if the story we were offered Cech is true I suspect the QPR of old would have snapped him despite having Green and McCarthy already in place, hopefully agents will realise we're no longer a soft touch.
we really needed a striker!! on 16:19 - Sep 2 with 905 viewsLythamR

we really needed a striker!! on 16:05 - Sep 2 by Northernr

I think we look well set. We're one striker short, but I'm pleased we walked away from deals rather than panicking and overpaying. It sends out a strong message that we're not going to do that any more, which will stand us in good stead on future deadline days.
Well done QPR, a really good transfer window.

We already signed Remy's replacement before he left, Vargas

show me any team outside the top 5 that have signed a better attacking player than him
we really needed a striker!! on 16:26 - Sep 2 with 891 viewssimmo

we really needed a striker!! on 16:07 - Sep 2 by robith

So we shouldn't waste time, but we also shouldn't negotiate.

We also should have conjured up a fully fledged scouting network from nowhere

We have three strikers in Charlie, Bobby and Vargas

We have Hoilett who can play as a 10 (an has excelled there in fact)

Adel (I know) can also play as a 10 or a false 9

Fer and Mutch can play in the hole. I've yet to be convined by Phillips as an out and out striker, but as wing forward he has tremendous potential.

Would've I have liked to sign another striker? Yeah, as back up to Charlie and Bobby. None was available or at the price we wanted so we went "no thanks" and work with what we've got. Pretty glad that maybe a couple of those lessons have actually sunk in. Are we at risk of injuries? Yes, everyone is. It's a contact sport. But it's not like we have no strikers. We have 3 bloody good ones and a host of options on how to tactically support them.

I can't believe I just did a serious response reply to a SOG post. Gonna have a shower

Exactly right on every count.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

we really needed a striker!! on 16:39 - Sep 2 with 857 viewsAntti_Heinola

we really needed a striker!! on 16:26 - Sep 2 by simmo

Exactly right on every count.

Apart from the fact that TF has had 3 years to magic that scouting network out of nowhere and Redknapp has had nearly 2.
And that you can't count Bobby as a striker when he won't be able to play 90 minutes for the vast majority of the season.

but other than that, I'm in Norf's camp. Squad looks decent, no more, but what else can you expect for a newly promoted club? And for that I'm happy. Apart from the superfluous signing of Niko and the re-signing of BZ, which I still think was and is a mistake because he's not able to give enough, or give enough consistently, because his body won't let him.

Bare bones.

we really needed a striker!! on 16:56 - Sep 2 with 824 viewssimmo

we really needed a striker!! on 16:39 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

Apart from the fact that TF has had 3 years to magic that scouting network out of nowhere and Redknapp has had nearly 2.
And that you can't count Bobby as a striker when he won't be able to play 90 minutes for the vast majority of the season.

but other than that, I'm in Norf's camp. Squad looks decent, no more, but what else can you expect for a newly promoted club? And for that I'm happy. Apart from the superfluous signing of Niko and the re-signing of BZ, which I still think was and is a mistake because he's not able to give enough, or give enough consistently, because his body won't let him.

OK, maybe in relation to the scouting and background stuff I can see where SOG is coming from, even if it was a point made purely to throw more WUM negative bile out there for a reaction. But we have gone from absolutely nothing, not even a filing cabinet of information or a database to reference from, to the point where information on players like Vargas and Isla are available to management and the board to help them make an informed decision.

Whilst I agree that TF has had 3 years to do it, that doesnt include the first 18months or so where he had Warnock - who didn't put anything like that in place at all, and then Hughes, who he left in sole charge of building up that infrastructure, which he did by appointing Mike Rigg, etc. So it has had to be built, from scratch, in 18mths under a new manager that also doesnt place a lot of emphasis on the structure within a club. These first 3 years have been a lot of firefighting, we are still not really in a position where we are stable and able to start fleshing out around the 1st team, especially as the club have decided that they want to be a part of this ridiculous TV revenue machine.

I agree it needs to become more important and greater emphasis needs to be put on finding these lower league or foreign talents that others pick up, but I am hopeful that will come in time and I think we are already improved on where we were 3 years ago.

The main issue for me, away from the first team, is the training ground and facilities, which were rightly identified as being not fit for purpose and used as an example of what the board are doing to improve the 'future of the club' whenever popular opinion was going against them, and has now been put to the backburner with soundbites suggesting it won't even happen...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

we really needed a striker!! on 17:02 - Sep 2 with 817 viewsbarabajagal

Maybe we needed another striker, but this has to be the best all-round squad we've had in decades, with the Sinton, Ferdinand, Bardsley, Mc Donald, Gallen, WIlkins, Stejskal 1991-1992 squad arguably being the last excellent squad in my time (i was only 4 in 1976 - can't remember the glory years). Interestingly, according to internet sources, Stejskal was the only non British player at the club that season. I'm very excited about the next 2-3 years for our club, (we'll see if I change my tune in May). Come on U R's.
we really needed a striker!! on 17:05 - Sep 2 with 814 viewsessextaxiboy

we really needed a striker!! on 17:02 - Sep 2 by barabajagal

Maybe we needed another striker, but this has to be the best all-round squad we've had in decades, with the Sinton, Ferdinand, Bardsley, Mc Donald, Gallen, WIlkins, Stejskal 1991-1992 squad arguably being the last excellent squad in my time (i was only 4 in 1976 - can't remember the glory years). Interestingly, according to internet sources, Stejskal was the only non British player at the club that season. I'm very excited about the next 2-3 years for our club, (we'll see if I change my tune in May). Come on U R's.

Stop that positivity please and prepare for the vitriol when we lose 1-0 to Manchester Utd .
Login to get fewer ads

we really needed a striker!! on 17:09 - Sep 2 with 808 viewsMatch82

To be fair, the re-signing of Bobby is a blessing at this point.
we really needed a striker!! on 17:14 - Sep 2 with 800 viewsadhoc_qpr

Ultimately it's all speculation currently anyway.

Yes ideally we'd have 4 strikers in the squad, but we don't.

If Austin stays fit, Vargas settles and thrives, Zamora turns out to be fitter than we all give him credit for and the midfield all chip in with goals - no worries and we can still strengthen in January.

If Austin get crocked in training next week and is out for 3 months, we are going to have to improvise and look very short of options.
we really needed a striker!! on 17:30 - Sep 2 with 772 viewsbarabajagal

we really needed a striker!! on 17:05 - Sep 2 by essextaxiboy

Stop that positivity please and prepare for the vitriol when we lose 1-0 to Manchester Utd .

I can't help it, I remember this squad...

Chris Day, Fraser Digby, Aziz Ben Askar, Marcus Bignot, Clarke Carlisle, Justin Cochrane, Neill Collins, Terrell Forbes, Danny Murphy, Stephen Palmer, Mark Perry, Christopher Plummer, Matthew Rose, Danny Shittu, Paul Bruce, Wesley Daly, Richard Langley, Gavin Peacock, Chris Warren, Junior Agogo, Karl Connolly, Doudou, Kevin Gallen, Carl Leaburn, Dave McEwen, Dennis Oli, Richard Pacquette, Andy Thomson.

Compare to what we have now, just 13 years later - if you'd told me then where we'd be now, I'd dismissed you as a delusional fool.

(footnote: strangely, and for reasons unknown, I quite enjoyed that season)
we really needed a striker!! on 17:35 - Sep 2 with 758 viewsrobith

To echo what simmo said in those 3 years there is a the combination of firefighting and the initial steps placing faith in the wrong people setting us back. I would argue however that a decent network takes many, many years to set up - and should be a big priority for us in starting to set that groundwork now we've got a decent first team squad to work with. More thought into where our younger players go on loan and in January I wouldn't want more signings than a striker and possibly more like Donallason and Robinson, and for that to become our norm
we really needed a striker!! on 18:28 - Sep 2 with 721 viewsTheBlob

Who says we haven't got a scouting network?A lot of the initial contact is from a disparate group of casual observers and agents/relatives who put their recommendations forward and then it's up to whatever club official to act(or not) on them.The wonderful thing about the internet is the wealth of statistical and performance material,not to mention almost instantaneous evidence.Keep yer peepers open and it's all there.
At the moment it looks like pretty thin pickings.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024